Start by marking “Pretty Witches All in a Row” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  904 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Someone is picking off a coven of witches one by one. Can Sgt. Nick Gibson and his team of detectives catch the killer before he loses the pretty witch who's got him under her spell?

Nick must cast aside his disbelief and delve into the world of the supernatural to solve the case. On hand to help is Annaliese, a member of the coven who claims to have had a prophetic dream a
Nook, 302 pages
Published September 30th 2011 by Lisa Olsen

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Witches All in a Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Witches All in a Row

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

DNF at 11%/Chapter 3.

This book actually has quite a bit going for it: it's an investigation into a paranormal death, told from a male POV. It's also set in the Portland Metro area, which makes me squee.

But that is where my compliments begin and end. While it's not actually bad per se, it's not great. My complaints are mostly about how juvenile the characters are (Nick and Brady act like frat boys with their "Bimbo du jour" comments and trying to hook up with suspects - I can alread
Terri Wright
Dec 03, 2011 Terri Wright rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm sorry I spent any money on this book. The premise of the story seemed interesting, but it just never engaged me. I struggled to even finish it. In addition to the story being very slow, the characters were shallow - they just never developed any personality. I found the male lead especially schizophrenic. On one hand he acts like a frat boy with his fellow officers, but is a single dad to a teenage daughter. I felt the whole daughter angle was to interact more with the female lead, not becau ...more
Cat
Apr 02, 2012 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I was kind of creeped out by the end of this book! I liked the characters and the way the author portrays their relationships (although I did find Nick and Veronica's relationship a bit weird).

I liked the story but had some issues with the way Nick broke every self-imposed and actual (legal) rule (law) he had. He was also quite accepting of the witches/coven talk. I understand he's been a detective, whoops I mean Sergeant for a long time but it felt un-cop like. Also, once you re
Kathy
Jun 07, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
These two main characters were so very well written and had such good chemistry, I kept waiting for that hot moment, you know, like when Sookie and Eric finally hooked up in Dead To The World? Now that was hot. But alas, no hot scene awaited me. Other than that, this was very well written and although I did suspect the eventual "bad guy" early on, I changed my mind and focused on another character so I was delightfully surprised that I didn't have it all figured out at the end like in so many bo ...more
Karen Fowler
Jul 18, 2012 Karen Fowler rated it really liked it
Shelves: witches
I enjoyed reading this novel. It was the perfect blend of mystery/ suspense, paranormal/magic and light romance. It's not every day one gets all that in a single book, and Olsen did a fabulous job weaving all the elements together into one crafty book.

The characters were like-able and the red herrings plentiful enough that I wasn't sure who was the Big Bad person until darn near the end of the book. In the middle of all that detecting, a sweet romance bloomed between two of the main characters,
Darlene
May 03, 2015 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Recommended to Darlene by: Chris
This was a complicated find. My husband read and recommended book two of this series, Kiss the Witch Goodbye. I went to the Amazon page to see if I could afford it. Nope. So I borrowed it from him. Meanwhile I found there was a book one and it was free, so I picked it up. Then I loaned it to my hubby. He had to read them in reverse order. I was afraid I was doomed to the same, but he finished just in time for me to start on book one. Yay!

SO... I just finished this book. I was fun, as fun as a mu
Zarah
May 02, 2015 Zarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
3.5 **spoiler alert**

This was a pleasant little read. It kept me occupied for an evening, which was all I was asking of it. I liked the main characters (though I did find Nick's endless banter juvenile). They weren't all that well defined. Everyone's past stays murky. For example, something apparently happened in LA that undermined Nick's trust in his daughter and prompted them to move to Portland, but the reader never learns what it is. Nor do you learn how Annaliese came to practice Wicca or m
Sunny
This was an okay read. Figured out the villain as soon as they were introduced. I'm actually quite surprised that the "Sergeant" didn't with all the clues and hints that were being dropped left and right. Romance moved a bit too fast for me but they always do in these type of novels. The story started realistically enough but then it really began to delve into the occult, not like that was a problem per se, but it is when you're trying to solve a criminal investigation. The "Sergeant" was able t ...more
Kerry
Aug 11, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it
Summary
Someone is killing members of a local coven. Sargent Nick Gibson is on the case. After meeting Annaliese while investigating one of the murders, Sargent Gibson begins to fall for the pretty witch, despite his own disbelief in the supernatural. He must trust his instincts when Annaliese shares her prophetic dreams of the murders. Could she be telling the truth, or might a local preacher who openly claims the murdered women had it coming be involved? Could this be a simple case of religious
Yodamom
Jun 20, 2012 Yodamom rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, free, wizards, mystery
A witchy mystery with a past. This twisted tale of murders and witchcraft will open the eyes on doubting Sargent. What he find defies everything he has ever believed.
Anna a local shop owner and coven member finds herself in need of protection when witches start turning up dead. The Sargent in charge finds himself drawn to this witchy woman. Has she done something to alter him ?Solving the murders is going to lead Sargent Nick and his office into a whole new reality. One they fight till the end.
Michelle Ferrari-Johnson
Nov 14, 2015 Michelle Ferrari-Johnson rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this book! Characters developed and content held my attention to the point I finished the book in one day! I highly recommend this read to anyone, especially Paranormal Romance lovers
Heather
Aug 15, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know what it is about the word witch (wiccan, Salem, magical, that word is a draw for me), if it’s in the title I will 1-click just about every time. Pretty Witches All In A Row was no exception. The cover grabbed me as I was cruising, unsupervised (which really shouldn’t happen with that 1-click button), through Amazon. I clicked and started reading immediately. I seriously love that cover. It’s beautiful and different.

I’m not going to retell the blurb for you, if you are reading review
Kristin
Jul 29, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
When I picked this book up for review, I wasn't sure what to expect other than a story about witches being killed off. After reading it, I've got a book hangover. I loved every minute of this book and will re-read it several times. I wish I could give it more than five stars because it deserves at least 10. The story reels you in on the very first page. You meet Sgt Gibson, a cop, single dad and great guy. I love his character, especially since he's an older guy who's still got his charm. Nick i ...more
Ana Maria  Rivera
Nov 08, 2014 Ana Maria Rivera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Detective Mystery Fans
Recommended to Ana Maria by: Amazon Kindle....
Holy cow !!! Why have I not discover this amazing read before??? Damn it was a pretty fantastic and super keep in the edge of your seat kinda of read. It's a greatcombination of a good mystery-detective novel with a dose of paranormal witch-mystical stuff.....
It's my first time reading this author's work but now I am going to look for book number two for sure, and I'm not one that's go so easy for the second book in a series if the first one doesn't really cut it for me....
I like the way she dev
Greenemage
Dec 24, 2011 Greenemage rated it it was amazing
Great book... I loved the blend of the murder investigation with the bits of witchcraft. As usual the author's characterizations were great, and I laughed a couple times at the interactions between the lead detective Sergeant Gibson and his teen daughter, she stole the show in the scenes she was in. The supernatural aspects of the book were subtle but definitely present, and certainly kept things interesting. I'm hoping for a sequel!
Patricia
Jul 17, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing

This is the first novel I have read by Lisa Olsen , Let me introduce you to Sergeant Nick Gibson. He and his team of detectives are hard on the case . They have to unravel the serial murders of a coven of

witches . There is just one little problem , he doesn't really believe in witches . Then along comes Annalese the pretty little witch , that could be next on the hit list . As they work together he finds himself falling for the pretty little witch. Even though he doesn't believe in magic. They
Ashley Fae
Pretty Witches All in a Row

As such a huge fan of Ms. Olsen's female lead characters my initial thought with the prospect of the male lead of Sgt Gibson was concern. By no means does that negate the playfulness she still injects into the dialogue and thought processes of all her characters. And honestly I found myself pleasantly surprised and pleased.
Annalise is a great female lead as well. The witty banter between the two leads is something I've come to expect and love so I was definitely not le
Matt Schiariti
Nov 14, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it really liked it
I love finding new authors to read. No really. 240 some odd unread books on my kindle are a testament to that. I pulled the trigger on this not knowing what to expect. The synopses sounded interesting and it had a good number of positive reviews (which isn't always the true litmus test for judging a possible read but it's what we got) not to mention the title grabbed me and the cover rocks.

On to the review.

When a supposed arson victim is actually found out to be a murder victim, Detective Nick G
Meg
Mar 04, 2013 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The characters were well rounded although the main characters were a bit too perfect. The characters and their dynamics were very well portrayed and intriguing. Although I would have enjoyed meeting all of the witches in the coven that were alive at the beginning, the characters we did meet moved the story and the relationships along nicely. There was just enough suspicion cast upon the possible killers in the coven, although it was clear that Annaliese was not a real threat.

The book neither pr
Sandy
Mar 02, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. It has some paranormal occult stuff wrapped up with a mystery. A coven of witches are dying and the police department falls for a bunch of red herrings as well as the detective falling for a witch. Main character is annoying with his back and forth worry about the witches and their spells and his overbearing parenthood. I did not really like him. Kind of guessed the killer . Even so, a decent read.
Lisa
May 23, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Why did I wait so long to read this book, I finished it in one sitting. The story is great, I love the characters, Nick and Annaliese are so cute throughout and you are cheering for them the entire time, knowing that it is wrong in so many ways. I love that Nick is a single father of a teenaged daughter and his relationship with her is great. I think had to pick up the next book right away! Great job Lisa Olsen!
Pam
This is a little different than my normal read. I usually tend to read Fantasy & paranormal. Loved this mystery romance. Loved Nick's sense of humor. I waffled with several characters being the Murderer. Not till it was revealed did I guess who it really was. Kept me totally intrigued. I had to get the next book & read that also. I am a new Fan Of Lisa Olsen. Do yourself a favor & add this book to your bookshelf. You will thank me later. ... Pam James
Heather A
2.5 stars.

This started off pretty good. An intriguing murder mystery involving a coven of modern day witches and the deceives investigating the case. Likeable characters and enough mystery thrown in to keep the reader guessing. My only real issues we re the main homicide effective seemed far too nice and easy going, but other than that it was okay. A quick read, I read the first 20% in one sitting and in another sitting read up to 54%. After that point things started to go down hill.

The story be
Jan 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Started off pretty good, ended up being just ok. In my opinion, it just got far too unbelievable as the story progressed. The fact that Nick was far too quickly and easily able to get past his disbelief, and that along with the fact that he pretty much trampled all over what I would consider to be normal police procedure pretty much took me out of the story. For example, (view spoiler) ...more
Carol
Nov 15, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
I quiet enjoyed this book i didn't guess the killer until about 3/4 of the way thought which is nice as i read a lot of crime & guess them pretty quick so that was a big plus for me. I liked the characters they were funny most of the time i have already downloaded book 2
Jeanne
Jul 21, 2014 Jeanne rated it liked it
There is no depth to this novel and the characters are not well-defined. The mystery was quite easy to figure out even with the red herrings (which were quite weak). With all that said, this novel is still a fun, easy read, but by no means believable.
Janice Rose
A cute little witch!!

This was the first book I have read by Lisa Olsen. Character development isn't as strong as I like but I found it entertaining. It's a quick and pleasant read if that's what you're after. Good young adult book.
Robin Toy
May 03, 2016 Robin Toy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Butterfingers rule!!!!

What a great murder mystery this book was. Had me wrong on every suspect. Lisa spins the story in a way that the reader is pulled into the mix helping Nick & Annaliese catch a killer. Highly recommend anything written by Lisa Olsen.
Amy
Awesome book!!

Had me captivated from page one. The accuracy of the pagan way was pretty on point... if you are looking for a new book this is the one!

Jill
Apr 04, 2015 Jill rated it it was ok
A policeman who doesn't act like one . One who doesn't get on with the man in charge of the case. A book where you know the culprit halfway through the story. Sorry but has all been done before. Will not be bothering with anymore from this author.
  • The Witch's Stone
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • The Witch's Ladder (Tony Marcella Mystery, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #1)
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • The Ghosts of Varner Creek
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • Mark of the Witch (Boston Witches, #1)
  • Witchy Business (Witch Detectives #1)
  • Something Witchy (Mystics & Mayhem #1)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Somebody tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead (ToadWitch, #1)
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • The Selkie Spell (Seal Island Trilogy #1)
  • Spell Checked (Logic, #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Predator Girl
Lisa Olsen is a writer, wife and mother of two, currently living in the Pacific Northwest. A complete TV addict, she also enjoys online RPG's, singing, reading, and cooking.
More about Lisa Olsen...