Start by marking “Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh, #1)” as Want to Read:
Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh, #1)

Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh #1)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,117 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Forged from flesh…and magic. Made to kill…but not to feel.

He was made for one purpose: To be the most efficient killer, the most lethal assassin the world had ever seen. But something has gone wrong with the plan. The Master is gone… The weapon is free… And in a dangerous world, a weapon does what a weapon is made to do. Or does he?

Without even a name, the weapon chooses o
Published September 24th 2011 by Jaxbooks (first published May 13th 2005)

Jack
Mar 17, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book, I will try the others in series, I have a difficult time trying to rate this novel as while it was a good read it... I think the issue is it had the potential to be a great read but just fell short.
The premise of the story is about a boy that has been trained in fighting and infused with magic to dampen "feeling's, and emotion's) these things are foreign to him as he was made to be the perfect weapon. Now of course as story progresses he has something change in his world and gains a
C.S. Carrig
Feb 18, 2015 C.S. Carrig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To date, this is the only book I've ever purchased at a convention because the author took a few minutes to convince me it was worth reading, and I think he actually undersold it.

Weapon of Flesh is just the sort of fantasy novel I like, relying more on characters and story than the elaborate world building so many authors use to distinguish themselves from Tolkein and fantasy conventions. Rather than reinvent a perfectly good wheel, the author wastes no time in introducing the weapon of flesh--
Lyn
Apr 12, 2016 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a amazing story I was truly gripped the more I got into the book the harder it was to stop reading
Mark D
Sep 18, 2013 Mark D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid read. Can't remember how I found this on Amazon, but there it was while I was killing time on my way out to get GTA 5.

It's always fun reading about a boy trained to become the ultimate weapon. Didn't take long to get started, we got a little back story on his training...then boom - off into the world this innocent weapon goes.

I'm happy the Author included other POVs - I like being able to see how other characters reacted to this boy (named Lad). Some books you never get to see how ot
Ares
Feb 06, 2015 Ares rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, assassin
The beginning was interesting, the comportement of the witless main character which happened to be brain washed for his entire life facing life outside his bubble was really well made, I liked his serious questions being laughed at and him being oblivious to everything et he should have taken that comtempt at seeing the world as the main theme which would have been original, but fact is that the ending was predictible and boring, a happy ending for our guilless murderer even if the following boo ...more
Courtney
Nov 03, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished. Great read!

Great book - please do not take into considertaion that time frame of me reading this. I truly enjoyed the book and look forward to reading the next one.

I just totally forgot about it when I got sucked into my other reads.
Taorec
The characters were detailed, their motives and actions believable. Lad especially stood out because of his unique upbringing and created some comical moments, but the side characters and their own plans and motives were up to par.

The plot was well executed, could be easily followed and held my attention the whole time.

On the hand the writing was descriptive and concise (just the way i like it) with no info dumps. On the other hand the world building suffered a bit and could have been more det
Metatrone
Yeah...no. Premise is decent everything else is terribly generic, derivative and stereotypical.
James
My review of Chris A Jackson's Weapon of Flesh is posted here:

In the city of Twailin a power struggle has been heating up for years. The fate of the city hangs in the balance as the Duke, others of the noble families, and factions of the Guilds ruthlessly vie for supremacy. The chessboard is cluttered with numerous pawns, but one very special pawn might sway the battle. But who will control this pawn?

Per the exacting instructions of the mysterious Grandfat
Kat Heckenbach
Jun 04, 2012 Kat Heckenbach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weapon of Flesh has a really interesting mesh of elements. It combines a martial arts feel with a touch of organized crime, all mixed with traditional fantasy. Sounds a little strange--you're thinking ninja-Godfather with Elves in tunics aren't you? Well, you'd be right. And believe me, it actually works!

The story begins with a boy, stolen from his mother and magically altered into a killing machine. (I found it amazing that the author made me connect with a character who was almost completely e
Jordan
Jan 11, 2015 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book that I'm glad I took a chance on considering I wasnt sure when I bought it. My mind was very quickly changed after only a couple of chapters into the book and Lad's story. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Jennie
May 26, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting angle on a story I felt like I've read before. Then I realized that there are many elements from many fantasy novels that weave together to create this story. The same, yet very different. I enjoyed that familiarity of scene and at the same time was caught by surprise a few times. The main character was very easy to fall for with his uninhibited innocence yet deadly abilities. The girl always gets the guy in the end and I think that was the one thing that would've put this story over ...more
Keliz
Apr 12, 2014 Keliz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME. I think I've read it like five times since buying it. After just reading the blurb I fell in love with it.
Ali
Mar 29, 2014 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favs
Great Great book, the ending could have been a bit better i think, i think the the stories transformation from brutality to romantic was way to fast. def going to read the next one.
Michael Lazar
Not a bad read and a good start to the trilogy. Having a weapon that is unfeeling, unremorseful, killer that learns how to feel despite not being able to control himself was an interesting concept. Now that we're moving forward with Lad having free will, I'll be interested to see where this goes.
Maranda Williams
Jan 18, 2016 Maranda Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trilogies
Weapon of Flesh is an amazing fantasy book about a boy(lad) who is raised by a wizard and only taught to be one thing, a weapon. When the time finally come's for him to be given to the man who ordered his construction something happens on the way. The wizard, the only master the boy has ever known is gone. He is alone and all he knows is that his master was taking him to his destiny and he was going to find out what that was.

I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
Nic
Mar 14, 2015 Nic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I received this as a first-read and did enjoy it; however, the romance made me cringe a little. The plot is similar to other novels which centre around an assassins guild, but Lad's dryness and confusion about life in general was amusing. The story is worth reading, and I will read the next book.
Jim Chou
Aug 11, 2013 Jim Chou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too find writing of this quality in the fantasy genre these days is unusual. Chris is a top flight writer and I'm really surprised he is not more famous than he is! The quality of the prose, the character development, the suspense, the depth of insight. He has it all. And does it while not falling into the same 'ol fantasy stereotypes. If you are a fantasy aficionado you won't go wrong reading this book.
Jennifer Erwin
Feb 19, 2013 Jennifer Erwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author really pulled me in from the first page with this one. Part fantasy, part sci-fi, part organized crime (think Godfather), with a little bit of love weaved in the layers. Very good book, and I'm going to have to read more from this author now.
Muhammad Gibran
Dec 19, 2013 Muhammad Gibran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, action, adventure
good story with an interesting character. it earned 3.5 stars but I give it 4 not 3 stars because of the potential.

Albert
Dec 08, 2013 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Soild book with likeable characters (even the uber villian!). Lightly touches on the ethics of killing, which could have been fleshed out more. I'd give it 3.5 stars, but I liked it enough to round up to 4.
Zoë
Slow start, but then got going. With some slow parts I had to skip a page or two or chapter. Its good for an epic fantasy, good for a debut story but nothing unique and stand-outish.
Deoro
Jan 26, 2013 Deoro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good fantasy novel. Compares favorably with big name authors. Interesting world building -- sort of D&D, with thieves, assassins, elves, and magic users.
Sylvia
Jan 04, 2013 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so great. I was surprised that I loved it so much. You just have to read it to understand why there is not much I can say. Just read it and enjoy it.
Alpha_stigma
Dec 27, 2012 Alpha_stigma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, from start to finish. I don't know what to say besides get this book and read it.
Larry
May 08, 2013 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy/Romance. The progression of the protagonist from construct to humanity was well done.
Robert Mccown
Dec 07, 2015 Robert Mccown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Glad I stumbled upon this author at DragonCon.
Christopher
A decent dramatic/fantasy/action novel that does get a little boring now and then with some unneeded sidetracking, but it's main plot about a boy who was magically created to be the perfect weapon who then finds that love conquers all is fleshed out well enough. Too bad the ending isn't all that satisfactory.
Scott M Jensen
Scott M Jensen rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Matt Johns
Matt Johns rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2016
  • Blood and Steel (The Cor Chronicles, #1)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Balancer (Advent Mage Cycle, #4)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • Sacrifice (The Trysmoon Saga, #4)
  • A Broken Throne (Book of One, #5)
  • The Yellow Palace (The Inner Seas Kingdom, #2)
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
  • Hunter's Beginning (Veller #1)
  • Victor Deus (Heritage of the Blood, #1)
  • Bastial Steel (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #2)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
From the sea to the stars, Chris A. Jackson’s stories take you to the far reaches of the imagination. Raised on the back deck of a fishing boat and trained as a marine biologist, he became sidetracked by a career in biomedical research, but regained his heart and soul in 2009 when he and his wife Anne left the dock aboard the 45-foot sailboat Mr Mac to cruise the Caribbean and write fulltime.
With
More about Chris A. Jackson...

Weapon of Flesh (4 books)
  • Weapon of Blood (Weapon of Flesh, #2)
  • Weapon of Vengeance (Weapon of Flesh, #3)
  • Weapon of Fear (Weapon of Flesh II, #1)