Start by marking “Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)” as Want to Read:
Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)

Germs Are Not for Sharing (Best Behavior)

Achoo! Cough! F-L-U-S-H! What to do? In childcare, in preschool, at home, and everywhere, toddlers need to learn that germs are not for sharing. Rather than focus on what germs are, this book teaches the basics of not spreading them: Cover up a sneeze or cough. Hug or blow kisses when you’re sick. And most of all, wash your hands! Child-friendly words and full-color ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published January 15th 2006 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Germs Are Not for Sharing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Germs Are Not for Sharing

Seon Kim
Jun 23, 2015 Seon Kim added it
Shelves: school
My toddler classroom loves to read this book. They love the "scrub, scrub, scrub," and "rinse, rinse, rinse" parts. I asked few questions during the read aloud and children started to understand the importance of hand washing. It is one of the great book to introduce hand washing to young children.
Nicole Thomas
Nov 15, 2016 Nicole Thomas rated it it was amazing
Germs Are Not for Sharing by Elizabeth Verdick is an informational picture book that is great for early readers. This story informs the reader on the proper things to do in order to not share germs. The first thing the story helps the reader learn is what you do when you sneeze. It also talks about when you cough, drop something on the floor, go to the bathroom, eat and more. Rather than focusing on what germs are, this book teaches the basics of not spreading them as well as including tips and ...more
Jessica
Nov 01, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
This book is great for toddlers who are learning about hand washing. The book gives reasons why we should wash our hands, scenarios of when we should was our hands, and the steps to wash our hands.
Mekenzie
Nov 28, 2016 Mekenzie rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
this is a great book to read to toddlers. it gives them information on how germs are spread and how it can make you become sick.
Allison Hart
Oct 13, 2016 Allison Hart rated it it was amazing
Germs Are Not for Sharing is an excellent book to teach little ones how to keep themselves and their friends healthy! The store goes through different examples of times your child may do (runny nose, cough, drop a cookie on the ground) and what to do when it happens (grab a tissue, cough into their elbow, throw it away and get a new cookie). This book will help your young child learn about basic manners and hopefully keep the germs from being shared all over your house!
Slayermel
Jan 28, 2015 Slayermel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of Toddlers and young preschoolers, Preschool Teachers
This is an informative little picture book for young children, teaching them proper guidelines for not spreading germs to others. It goes through hand washing, sneezing and coughing, kissing friends. I found the page on not kissing your friends very helpful, especially in the classroom. Children do seem to love showing affection for one another. The book teaches them to blow kisses and catch them instead.

The children in my class like to wash their hands now while singing songs, to make sure the
Christine Turner
Dec 13, 2012 Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-book
Germs Are Not for Sharing: Sneezes, coughs, runny noses, spills, and messes are facts of everyday life with young children. This book teaches kids what germs are, what they do, and why it's so important to cover them up, block them from spreading, and wash them down the drain.

Subjects

Hygiene -- Juvenile literature

Bacteria -- Juvenile literature

Higiene -- Literatura juvenil.

Bacterias -- Literatura juvenil.

Board books

Spanish language materials.

Bilingual books, Spanish.

Jessica Vu
I love how this book teaches children about germs and how to not spread germs with fun illistrations and situations that children can relate to.
I would read this book at the beginning of the school year and talk to students about how they can prevent the spread of germs and why this is important.
HAve students create an infomational poster about germs and preventing the spread of them. Hang the poster in the hallways to educate other students.
Jillian Ware
Apr 26, 2016 Jillian Ware rated it really liked it
This is a cute informational book about washing your hands and how to not spread germs. This author has written several books like this that are informational for kids. They tell you how to do or not do something. I think this is a great book to have in your classroom. I could do a lesson over health and read a different book everyday and we would do a different activity based on what book we read. Even though this book is informational I know kids would like it.
A.J.
May 03, 2016 A.J. rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book for kindergartners and possibly first graders. This book is set up in a dynamic format with letters swirling about on all the pages. It uses fun sounds and simple phrases to describe some tips on how not to spread germs. I think this would be a great book to read around flu season.
Audeena
Dec 13, 2011 Audeena rated it really liked it
Genre: Informational/Realistic
Copyright Date: 2006

I used this book when I talked taught a mini lesson on germs. At the beginning of the year is when the colds seems to circle through and many of our students didn't understand what germs were or how a cold can be passed. This was a good book to read to talk with them about that.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
For a kindergarten children, they are going to sneeze without covering their mouths and touch everything in the classroom. As a result, I would use this book in the classroom to teach children to always wash their hands, so they do not spread nasty germs to each other. The book illustrates to children experiences that they can relate to, which captures the children to pay attention to details.
K
Dec 30, 2008 K rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I really liked that it was really concrete. Since it's directed at children three and under, it's good that it explicitly tells you what to do if you sneeze. However, and I know this is nit-picking, but it seemed really focused on throwing things away - tissue paper, fallen food, etc... Like why not do food that can be washed when it's fallen and have them using hankies? Whatever. T likes it.
Canadian Reader
Sep 10, 2016 Canadian Reader rated it really liked it
A good introduction to personal hygiene--particularly hand washing. I only wish the author had spent a little time on the two main types of germs--rather than leaving this information to the afterward.
Mary
This book is a fabulous addition to curriculum regarding germs. It presents healthy choices in a fun and informative way that will be able to resonate in the minds of young children.
jacky
Oct 21, 2012 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
Even though I've modeled it for three years, after reading this book, Natalie started coughing into her elbow.
Principle Based Learning
(recommended by: Ashley B)
Click here for the full article on: More Than Just Fairytales
Karen
Jan 03, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Really cute book that teaches kids how to keep from spreading germs. Good for ages 18 months and up.
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2013
Jacki
Jacki rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2010
Tricia Schneider
Tricia Schneider rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Cheryl Spires
Cheryl Spires rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Mr Adam
Mr Adam rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Stevie
Stevie rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
JENNIFER
JENNIFER rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Eriko Iwashita
Eriko Iwashita rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
The Nielsen Kids
The Nielsen Kids rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elizabeth Verdick has been writing books since 1997, the year her daughter was born. Her two children, now ages 13 and 8, are the inspiration for nearly everything she writes. Before becoming an author, Elizabeth edited books for children and parents.

These days she writes books for toddlers to teens, and everything in between. She especially loves creating new board book series for toddlers—the l
More about Elizabeth Verdick...

Best Behavior (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Best Behavior Series)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 4-7)
  • Noses Are Not for Picking (Ages 0-3)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 4-7)
  • Pacifiers Are Not Forever (Ages 0-3)
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)