Corporate Ties
read ebook

Corporate Ties

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Jason Harris has found the perfect job as a web developer with a Fortune 500 financial subsidiary. He meets his cool and quirky coworkers and even scores a date with an Indian princess/database administrator.This lasts all of eight days. Due to "organizational restructuring," the parent company announces that all employees at Jason's location are being relocated to corpora...more
Published September 12th 2011 by Spumoni Press

To ask other readers questions about Corporate Ties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corporate Ties

Jolene
Seems interesting....thanks for the excerpts/teaser.

***

A very fun, thoughtful book.

I've worked in cubicles (though briefly) and have had experience (limited) programming. I don't think either of those things is really necessary to appreciate the book.

I want to hand this story to a friend who works in HR (and had to get through firings after a merger of two big publishers) as well as the programmers I know. Most of this book has to do with friendships at work and weighing happiness/personal goa...more
Moonlit Farewell
(This may sound more like a literary critique than a review. Sorry.)

"Business gibberish included" really meant "DETAILED business gibberish included." I'm sure if you know about IT stuff, you'll get it and be able to connect to the characters, but since I don't know anything about it I just felt bored and disinterested. At times, it even felt more like non-fiction instead of fiction (there were even footnotes), which isn't really what I enjoy reading (or what I was expecting with this book).

The...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair

This story is something that has happened to a lot of people in corporate America, especially with the Recession. Corporate restructuring happens. And this is exactly what happens to Jason and the rest of the people at Mettle when they're told they have to move to be with the new parent company.

I really like Woods' style of writing. It's fast paced, funny, with a splash of cynicism (just how I like it) and kept me interested in the story. The writing is most definitely the highlight of this boo...more
Lucy Furr
First of all, I'd like to thank the author, Ben Woods, for sending me a copy of this after I failed to win one in the Goodreads Giveaway. Many thanks, Ben!

For the most part, I found Corporate Ties to be an entertaining read. Ben Woods has a great writing style, and I always appreciate a dose of subtle cynicism in anything I read. I am, after all, a bit of a cynic myself (some days more than others).

Unfortunately (or, probably, fortunately) I've never worked in the cubicle dotted world of corpor...more
Cristina Rizzuto
A funny and insightful look at terrifying corporate America - a world that, thankfully, I've never entered! However, I've worked for large companies in the past, and completely understood the corporate absurdity described in the book. The story follows Jason Harris on his new job as a web developer, and the decision he must face: to stay, or to move on to a world that reeks of robotic bureaucracy - including neckties. Overall it was an interesting story with quirky commentary (and a bit of roman...more
Kimberly
This was a Goodreads giveaway book.

The book was a humorous take on the corporate world, the stress, the relocation, the robot-type of requirement to fit it. Almost anyone in the corporate world could easily relate to parts, if not all, of this book.

One frustrating part was the poor editing/proofing. There were numerous misspellings and missing words. It was distracting. However, I understand that this has been corrected in later editions which is great.

Lynda
I loved this book! Ben Woods, was able to take an otherwise boring scenario, and make it hilarious!! I felt like I personally knew everyone in the book and was living out the novel. I will be recommending this book to my friends. Also, I will be getting my on his first novel, as I enjoy reading his style of writing.
Gordon Sleigh
The writing on this one was fine, and the characters were interesting, but it just went on and on and on. Needs some serious pruning. I may go back and try and finish it eventually.
Roxy
Just found it a bit boring, but maybe its because I've never worked in a corporate cubical atmosphere
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2012
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 25, 2012
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Mark Mccarragher
Mark Mccarragher marked it as to-read
On'nanoko o norowa
On'nanoko o norowa marked it as to-read
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jennifer Wragg
Jennifer Wragg marked it as to-read
April Gay
April Gay marked it as to-read
Donna Harris
Donna Harris marked it as to-read
Audrey Pena
Audrey Pena marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sharen
Sharen marked it as to-read
Stephanie Seawright
Stephanie Seawright marked it as to-read
E-book formats 1 2 Oct 04, 2011 04:48PM
Ben Woods has held full-time computer programming positions with companies large and small, collected a stack of employee manuals and health insurance cards and worked with a litany of CEOs, PMPs, BBMs and A-HOLEs. He is a programmer and freelance writer who lives in Baltimore. His first book, a tech-humor fiction novel titled “The Developers,” discusses two key topics: online privacy and crazy pe...more
More about Ben Woods...