Start by marking “Stuck” as Want to Read:
Stuck

Stuck

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A world too different from what we once knew . . . all we hold onto now is survival.

Memories of the dead remind Annie Page of the world she'd once known. Renegade forces are closing in, seeking to command the little that remains. Yet she refuses to stand by and watch the world crumble.

Her children's love the driving force behind the choices that she's made, she's determine
Nook
Published September 3rd 2011 by L.D.B. Press

To ask other readers questions about Stuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuck

30/6 - I won Stuck in a GR giveaway quite a while ago, but I missed the fact that it was more of a pamphlet than a novel. I find it hard to call this a 'book'. The story is 17 pages long with a page and a bit of acknowledgements at the beginning and seven pages of preview for her new paranormal book Haunted. In my book (which is very long and convoluted) that is unfair to the buying public (not that I'm one of them, but if I was I'd be a bit pissed). If this was a longer book with the same perce ...more
Sharon
Jan 07, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Stuck” by Lissette E. Manning

Every writer tries to get the right hook for their book or short stories. This author nailed it on the first page. Pages fly as you want to know what happens on the other side. Getting this important part of the puzzle in writing a novel is not easy.

The main character of the story is Annie who is experiencing a post apocalyptic world. Just like the one we read and hear about in books and movies. It starts off with Annie making her way out into the chaos, destruction
Aurora
Feb 04, 2013 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Name of Book: Stuck

Author: Lissette E Manning

ISBN: 9780615521954

Publisher: LDB Press

Type of book: Science fiction, choices, apocalypse, short story, future

Year it was published: 2011

Summary:

Her children’s love the
Pavarti Tyler
A beautiful piece, Stuck is a perfect proof of concept of the work Manning is capable of. The descriptions are beautiful, intentions clear and writing poetic without ever crossing over into self-indulgent. A rare piece of work, this short piece is definitely worth the read. I only had one issue with the plot which was I couldn't understand why Annie's husband didn't go out to forage. She says at one point that he "can't" and that he "wouldn't know what to look for," but the reason for that is ne ...more
Alexia Purdy
Sep 03, 2011 Alexia Purdy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Stuck by Lisette Manning

Stuck is a short story that caught my attention from the first sentence. It follows the main character Annie Page, who through a heartbreaking decision, she finds her life changed forever. You will find yourself in a post-apocalyptic world with enticing imagery to pull you into a shattered world. Annie, having to decide between taking care of her family or starvation, sets out into the ruin of the world and amidst unseen dangers, Annie finds herself in a state that has he
Kayla Eklund
Stuck was a great short novella about a woman trying to provide for her children in an apocalyptic setting. At seventeen pages, it was a quick read. The ending made me sad. It would be horrible to have that happen and not be able to tell anyone. I thought it was definitely worth the time it took to read it. I wish the novella would have been a little longer. I would have liked to know more about Annie's children. I would have also liked to know more about the post apocalyptic world. In the endin ...more
Shireen Nemnich
Mar 29, 2012 Shireen Nemnich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed by this short story, not just because of the content but the flow of words and how the author weaves each word seamlessly in a tapestry before my very eyes. While I read I found questions forming in my mind and I could picture this desolate world that she describes very well.

One of the ways I measure a good story is that by the time I reach the end, I'm not wanting it to end and although I'm wanting more, I'm satisfied with what I've been given. This is exactly how I felt wh
Emma
Feb 05, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short storie was very well written. I was hooked in the first few lines. Mannings use of description was fantastic, using just about every sense to decribe Annie's world and how she reacts to its horrors. Annie is a strong heroine, although I did think she may have given up to easily in the end. I do think that 'Stuck' would have made a fantastic novella, spanning over a longer time span.
Overall it was a great short storie.

(I recieved this for free through a 'Goodreads Firt Reads' giveaway)
May Torres
Jun 06, 2012 May Torres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story was written with such great detail. The author did a great job making me feel like I was part of the world she created. I wanted to know more and would love it if the story was longer. I had one question about the husband and why he was unable to go out into the dangerous world in his wife's place. Very quick read. Give it a try.
Susan Rose
This 'book' is only 17 pages long so I don't feel I can really judge the author's work, however I did enjoy it and I am intrigued to read some longer work by her.
D.L. Fowler
Oct 22, 2011 D.L. Fowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poignant journey through the kinds of emotions you want to read about, not experience. The last chapter was particularly gripping.
Rachelle Bronson
You can find my review @ The Novel Blog.com

Morgan
Jan 31, 2015 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I found this well written and interesting. There's nothing that I would change.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
The following review is my opinion and not a paid review. I recieved a copy of Stuck as free download from Smashwords.

Annie is a woman who has survived a post apocalyptic world. She is a woman who loves her family more than anything or anyone on earth. She loves them so much that she goes out into a world that has been destroyed. A world where there are not many people left and the ones that are left may kill her. She has to find food for them or they will not survive.

Stuck is a very short story
Brittany
May 29, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

This was a great short story about a woman trying to provide for her children in a world very different from what we know. The writing was beautiful and I really enjoyed reading this. The ending is sad, as she is, like the title suggests, Stuck.
Molly
Mar 16, 2012 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manning is a talented writer and I liked the description which she used. I wish that the story line had been a bit more developed.The story made me think about how quickly life can change!

I also enjoyed the excerpt for her book called, "Haunted."
I won this book from the goodreads First Reads giveaway. Thank you!
Melissa
Jun 15, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story was well written but it could have been so much more. I was saddened that it ended so prematurely.

Check out my blog for my full review: http://tubchairtimes.blogspot.ca/2012...
Brooke
Apr 19, 2012 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and sad. This story didn't explain itself enough. I was frustrated by the whole thing. Especially then ending. But it was not terrible. Only takes a sec to read.
Tammy
Jan 30, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, but ended too soon. So much more could have been done with the storyline. I would like to read more from her though.
Heather
I liked this short story, I just wish it would have been a little longer. Glad I got picked as a first-reads winner.
jennifer
3.75
Cleo
Cleo marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Stephanie Clarke
Stephanie Clarke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Fayebayebaye
Fayebayebaye marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Afrit
Afrit marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Gemma Mclelland
Gemma Mclelland marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Bookworm29
Bookworm29 marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • The Secret of Emotions (Love, Lust and the Longing for God #1)
  • After Mandela: The Struggle for Freedom in Post-Apartheid South Africa
  • Stalking Season
  • The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero
  • Why I Became a Muslim
  • The Atria International Book of Mysteries
  • Night Buddies; Impostors, and One Far-Out Flying Machine (Night Buddies #2)
  • Green Blood is for France
  • The Other Woman
  • The Gift of Stoppage Time
  • Saving Bobby
  • Some Enchanted Murder: An Apple Mariani Mystery
  • A Moose In A Maple Tree: The All Canadian 12 Days Of Christmas
Lissette E. Manning is an author from Connecticut. She has been writing since she was six-years-old, and spends most of her time trying to place her thoughts into order and giving life to the stories that are always brewing inside her head.

She enjoys reading books, listening to music, playing the occasional video game, watching movies, and spending time with friends and family. She’s also a bit o
More about Lissette E. Manning...