Start by marking “Gods of the Greeks” as Want to Read:
Gods of the Greeks

Gods of the Greeks

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  346 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

After a brief introduction, the complex genealogies of the gods lead him from the begettings of the Titans and from Aphrodite under all her titles and aspects, to Apollo, Hermes and the reign of Zeus, touching upon the Affairs of Pan, nymphs, satyrs, cosmogonies and the birth of mankind, until he reaches the ineffable mystery of Dionysos. The lively and highly readable nar

Published 1958 by Pelican (first published 1951)

Steve Cran
May 21, 2013 Steve Cran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one book that will take you to the very beginning of creation and take you all the way up to the birth and death of Dionysus. Get ready for a roller coaster because that is what Greek mythology really is, a roller coaster. Different Gods and Goddesses are sometimes identified as each other. Sometimes the son is the father to a God depending on the Author that you read. Karl Kerenyi pulled from different sources and they each have their own version. He read from Homer, Hesiod or Orpheus. ...more
Peter Caputo
Feb 07, 2014 Peter Caputo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
A great reference to the more traditional stories. Like Edith Hamilton in her Mythology book, Karl preserves the origins and culture of the greek context of these stories and his style is easily readable.
Whitney
Jul 02, 2012 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published in 1951, this collection of Greek mythology contained a diverse grouping of stories. I loved that it not only told the most common versions made popular by Ovid, but delved into Hesiod, as well as showing how the tales changed with the locations. The reading can be a bit choppy at times as the author will bring up a god, only to state that his/her story will be continued later. Choppy reading aside, I found this book to be a good source of the various versions of Greek mytho ...more
Donne Knudsen
Jun 01, 2015 Donne Knudsen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I only got about halfway through this book before I gave it up. When reading greek mythology, I prefer to read it in story form, which is just so much more interesting and enjoyable. Greek mythology that reads like and encyclopedia is sooo boring.
Ury949
Feb 11, 2014 Ury949 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very thorough list of Greek gods with all referenced perspectives in the myths, but only as relating to the gods. The specific stories of the heroes and monsters are not detailed unless they coincide with the stories of the gods. So in that respect it was disappointing, but otherwise it was really great. Unfortunately, it didn't have the best organization, causing you to have to skip around the book to find information you may be interested in. Not as good for quick reference, but reading thro ...more
Jaseena AL
Jul 06, 2015 Jaseena AL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating : 4 stars
Matt
Aug 11, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deep, yet not unreadable book. Kerenyi loves his subject and it's reflected in his writing style. It's definitely scholarly, and a wealth of various stories of the Greek gods. My advice to anyone who wishes to read it would be that they should have a basic familiarity with the mythos and pantheon, along with the alternate spelling of names before they read it, as that can cause some confusion for the novice. Other than that - a fantastic read!
Antoine
Feb 01, 2008 Antoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
This book (and its companion about heroes) is an interesting compromise between the simpler retellings, like D'Aulaire's and denser and more complicated renderings like Graves or Calasso. It is scholarly and comprehensive, but also straightforward and readable. The use of non-standard (non-latinate) transliterations of names from the Greek(Oidipous for the more familiar Oedipus, for instance) can be unnecessarily confusing.
Amahlia Parkinson
Sep 14, 2015 Amahlia Parkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good for compilation of the majority of Greek Deities, and their myths etc.
James
Absolutely five stars, but it did take forever to read. I always had to stop and look up how to pronounce so many words and names. Hindsight tells me that I should have made my own family tree for the titans, gods, and others, all starting at page one.
B
Oct 09, 2008 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensly; I read it twice so I could easily pronounce and better remember the names of the titans, gods, heroesm, and places. This book is not for a novice to mythology but it is very good. Start with Bulfinch!
Delia Colvin
Sep 25, 2013 Delia Colvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books for research on Greek mythology! I use this book as my "go to" for great research on ancient Greece. In all of my research I've found his to be some of the best around.
M
I didn't like the book. I didn't know it was just about the story of the Gods, I thought is was some good story with a main character and that kind of stuff that we usually read.
Murray
Probably the definitive work on the Greek Gods and their meaning. You just know that Kerenyi senses the subtle realities behind what he is writing about.
Kim Canich
Nov 02, 2012 Kim Canich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very insightful :)
Alessandra Schindler
Alessandra Schindler is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Oedipa
Oedipa marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
reinsplash
reinsplash marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Matt Vasky
Matt Vasky rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Sarah Walsh
Sarah Walsh marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Omneya
Omneya marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Nickollas McDaniel
Nickollas McDaniel rated it did not like it
May 17, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Ruth E. Phillips
Ruth E. Phillips rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Bloutsos Apostolis
Bloutsos Apostolis rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Jenny Barton
Jenny Barton marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Carmen Coto
Carmen Coto marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Jennan
Jennan rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
  • Greek Religion
  • Portrait of a Priestess: Women and Ritual in Ancient Greece
  • Dionysus: Myth and Cult
  • Courtesans and Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Athens
  • Ancient Greece: From Prehistoric to Hellenistic Times
  • The Hymns of Orpheus
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • In the Dark Places of Wisdom
  • Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
  • Celtic Heritage
  • Gumbo Ya-Ya: A Collection of Louisiana Folk Tales
  • Gods and Heroes of Ancient Greece (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • The Echo of Greece
  • Greek: An Intensive Course
  • Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman
  • Witches, Werewolves, and Fairies: Shapeshifters and Astral Doubles in the Middle Ages
  • Popular Magic: Cunning-folk in English History
Károly (Carl, Karl) Kerényi was one of the founders of modern studies in Greek Mythology.

Karl Kerenyi is also published under the names Carl Kerenyi and Károly Kerényi.
More about Karl Kerényi...