Start by marking “Gods of the Greeks” as Want to Read:
Gods of the Greeks

Gods of the Greeks

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  12 reviews

After a brief introduction, the complex genealogies of the gods lead him from the begettings of the Titans and from Aphrodite under all her titles and aspects, to Apollo, Hermes and the reign of Zeus, touching upon the Affairs of Pan, nymphs, satyrs, cosmogonies and the birth of mankind, until he reaches the ineffable mystery of Dionysos. The lively and highly readable nar

Published 1958 by Pelican (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of the Greeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods of the Greeks

Steve Cran
This is one book that will take you to the very beginning of creation and take you all the way up to the birth and death of Dionysus. Get ready for a roller coaster because that is what Greek mythology really is, a roller coaster. Different Gods and Goddesses are sometimes identified as each other. Sometimes the son is the father to a God depending on the Author that you read. Karl Kerenyi pulled from different sources and they each have their own version. He read from Homer, Hesiod or Orpheus. ...more
Peter Caputo
A great reference to the more traditional stories. Like Edith Hamilton in her Mythology book, Karl preserves the origins and culture of the greek context of these stories and his style is easily readable.
Whitney
Originally published in 1951, this collection of Greek mythology contained a diverse grouping of stories. I loved that it not only told the most common versions made popular by Ovid, but delved into Hesiod, as well as showing how the tales changed with the locations. The reading can be a bit choppy at times as the author will bring up a god, only to state that his/her story will be continued later. Choppy reading aside, I found this book to be a good source of the various versions of Greek mytho ...more
Ury949
A very thorough list of Greek gods with all referenced perspectives in the myths, but only as relating to the gods. The specific stories of the heroes and monsters are not detailed unless they coincide with the stories of the gods. So in that respect it was disappointing, but otherwise it was really great. Unfortunately, it didn't have the best organization, causing you to have to skip around the book to find information you may be interested in. Not as good for quick reference, but reading thro ...more
Matt
A deep, yet not unreadable book. Kerenyi loves his subject and it's reflected in his writing style. It's definitely scholarly, and a wealth of various stories of the Greek gods. My advice to anyone who wishes to read it would be that they should have a basic familiarity with the mythos and pantheon, along with the alternate spelling of names before they read it, as that can cause some confusion for the novice. Other than that - a fantastic read!
Antoine
This book (and its companion about heroes) is an interesting compromise between the simpler retellings, like D'Aulaire's and denser and more complicated renderings like Graves or Calasso. It is scholarly and comprehensive, but also straightforward and readable. The use of non-standard (non-latinate) transliterations of names from the Greek(Oidipous for the more familiar Oedipus, for instance) can be unnecessarily confusing.
James
Absolutely five stars, but it did take forever to read. I always had to stop and look up how to pronounce so many words and names. Hindsight tells me that I should have made my own family tree for the titans, gods, and others, all starting at page one.
B
I enjoyed this book immensly; I read it twice so I could easily pronounce and better remember the names of the titans, gods, heroesm, and places. This book is not for a novice to mythology but it is very good. Start with Bulfinch!
Delia Colvin
One of the best books for research on Greek mythology! I use this book as my "go to" for great research on ancient Greece. In all of my research I've found his to be some of the best around.
M
I didn't like the book. I didn't know it was just about the story of the Gods, I thought is was some good story with a main character and that kind of stuff that we usually read.
Murray
Probably the definitive work on the Greek Gods and their meaning. You just know that Kerenyi senses the subtle realities behind what he is writing about.
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Griffith Thomas
Griffith Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
America Gonzalez
America Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Rahul Nath
Rahul Nath marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Elissa
Elissa marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Andrey Butenko
Andrey Butenko marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sidra
Sidra marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Violeta Viadero
Violeta Viadero marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Cartulinas
Cartulinas marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Devin Barletta
Devin Barletta marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Greek Religion
  • Portrait of a Priestess: Women and Ritual in Ancient Greece
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Dionysus: Myth and Cult
  • Courtesans and Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Athens
  • Ancient Greece: From Prehistoric to Hellenistic Times
  • Gods and Heroes of Ancient Greece (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Celtic Heritage
  • Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
  • In the Dark Places of Wisdom
  • The Greek Way
  • World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics
  • The Universe, the Gods, and Men: Ancient Greek Myths Told by Jean-Pierre Vernant
  • Popular Magic: Cunning-folk in English History
  • Homeric Hymns
  • The Greek Myths: Vol. 1
  • Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity
  • Greek: An Intensive Course
Károly (Carl, Karl) Kerényi was one of the founders of modern studies in Greek Mythology.

Karl Kerenyi is also published under the names Carl Kerenyi and Károly Kerényi.
More about Karl Kerényi...
Dionysos: Archetypal Image of Indestructible Life Eleusis: Archetypal Image of Mother and Daughter Hermes: Guide of Souls The Heroes of the Greeks Prometheus: Archetypal Image of Human Existence