جريمة في بلاد الرافدين

جريمة في بلاد الرافدين (Hercule Poirot #14)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  15,325 ratings  ·  431 reviews
No-nonsense Nurse Leatheran narrates from before Poirot arrives. Archaelogist Dr Eric Leidner hires her to safeguard his charismatic wife Louise from her first husband Frederick, German traitor presumed dead - or is he? Anonymous notes threatened Louise away from men before this marriage, and have followed her now to the remote dig.
347 pages
Published by مكتبة جرير (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about جريمة في بلاد الرافدين, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about جريمة في بلاد الرافدين

Aimee
Agatha Christie married archaeologist Max Mallowan in 1930 (she was 40, he was only 26 -- Go Agatha!) and thereafter spent months at a time every year (with the exception of some years during WWII) in the Middle East on digs. She wrote many of her novels in a small mud closet with only a card table to hold her typewriter and a wooden chair to sit on. The locals actually considered her very extravagant for this. She also helped clean, sketch and photograph the artifacts they uncovered.

As she had...more
Henry Avila
On the lonely deserts of Mesopotamia(Iraq),in the 30's ,archaeologists are digging to discover the past.But at the present time,fear is in the air.Even as precious artifacts are found, from the 4th millennium .Looking at the site,it's just a pile of mud and dirt walls,very disappointing to the untrained eye.You would have to be an expert, to get excited. But this is after all,where the first civilization began,7,000 years ago(5,300 B.C.).Between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.The Fertile Cresce...more
Dina
Kurt
Sometimes I just love racist classist proper Agatha Christie. This book involves a murder in the Middle East, but all of the major characters are from Europe or the United States. There are brief references to one local henchman-type, and some menial laborers who are mostly around to irritate the Europeans with their incompetence, but mostly Agatha Christie doesn't like writing about people with dark skin, so she doesn't. The murder in this case is a nice little locked room mystery - a woman who...more
Cata
Lembro-me de que quando vi o filme baseado neste livro há uns aninhos atrás, fiquei uns bons dias insegura (leia-se com medo) antes de beber água à noite, não fosse estar a beber ácido por engano, tal foi a forte impressão que o filme me causou.

Claro que agora que comecei a ler os livros da Agatha Christie este era um dos must read, embora me lembrasse de quem era o assassino e do que o levou a enveredar pela vida criminosa (daí a revelação não ter sido chocante, uma vez que não houve efeito sur...more
Meli
Descubrí al asesino al toque, me siento Da Doctah :P

F.R.
My first exposure to Hercule Poirot was those films Peter Ustinov made in the seventies and eighties. And I think the aspect which stayed with me the most was the cosmopolitan glamour of it all. Look! – there’s Bette Davis, David Niven and Mia Farrow all sailing down the Nile!

Reading this book though – set in Iraq – I find that Christie was perfectly capable of making Poirot as provincial as Miss Marple. In the introduction she thanks her “many archaeological friends in Iraq and Syria”, but the...more
Sara Gonçalves
Que hei-de dizer? Nunca na vida iria suspeitar do assassino!
Agatha Cristie é chamada a Rainha do Crime com toda a razão. É impressionante cada história que ela criou, cada crime, cada assassino... É fantástico.
Dos poucos livros que li da escritora, este não foi dos meus favoritos devido à inactividade da primeira parte - cerca de um terço da história - aquela que decorre até ao assassinato. Claro que é essencial para serem deixadas pistas, mas foi muito parada.
A narradora do livro é uma das pe...more
Melissa
Oh how I love Agatha Christie and the famous Hercule Poirot. Murder In Mesopotamia is now officially one of my favorite Agatha Christie mysteries. Why? Because I just simply didn't see the ending coming. Christie was so talented at leading you to look everywhere but at the actual perpetrator. Of course, by saying this I may give something away, but trust me, if you read this you will not be disappointed.

In typical fashion, Hercule Poirot just happens to be passing through when the latest murder...more
Alana
The general story is this: a nurse is hired to look after the wife of an archaeological dig leader. She isn't ill, but she is under the impression that someone is trying to kill her. So the reader won't be surprised (even if everyone else in the story is) when she winds up dead and it appears as though only a member of the dig team could have done it.
I purchased this one at an airport bookstore, and it was just what I needed for airport time as I waited for connections and the flights themselve...more
Carolyn F.
I think my problem with this book was I've read it I don't remember how many times and also watched the TV version so I remembered who did it and why, nothing was a surprise. It's a good mystery but makes the first murder victim out to be kind of a clueless didst because how could she not know that (view spoiler).
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)

When Nurse Leatheran is called on to look after Loiuse, the wife of Dr. Leidner who is busy in the excavation activities going on at the Hassanieh dig in Iraq, she finds the atmosphere there to be filled with tension and one of impending doom.
"...I dont know what it was exactly...Nobody seemed quite natural. There was a queer atmosphere of tension..."

Loiuse or "Lovely Louise" as the Doctor's wife is called, is said to be afflicted with hallucinations. Sh...more
Toni Osborne
This is a soft murder story, as a young adult I enjoyed Miss Christie immensely, today I find her style passé and somewhat even boring. I guess in time some develop a taste for more gruesome epics.
Radhika
Agatha Christie is an old love and, I believe that I continue to love her because of the impressionable age I started reading her.

I have since grown up in what holds my attention, but time and again, I sub-consciously reach for her book (sometimes ones I've read before) and enjoy it grudgingly, coz it's an old love. One indulges an old flame even if it has diminished in its glory.
These are times when I grit and sigh through the laborious descriptions of scenes, the characters, the dialog style...more
Carol
This wasn't my favourite Agatha Christie novel, though it was quick to read and well-plotted. At the center of the novel was the narrator, a nurse, who retells the story of the murders and the following investigation. She's supposed to be a likeable, reliable narrator, but I found that she took away from the story -and from Poirot, who played second fiddle to her. Why?I'm not quite sure why. This nurse/narrator doesn't actually figure anything out. She just "tells it like it is" and is privy to...more
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
As I continue my march through Agatha Christie's collected works, I savor each tale. That doesn't mean that I read the books slowly - often I rip through one in just a couple of hours of reading. I'm taking my sweet time by only reading a book or so each month or two, enjoying the ride. I don't know if I ever realized how many books she'd written.

The last time I was in France, I brought along Thirteen at Dinner, so I decided to create a tradition and bring this book along on my trip to France t...more
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Este livro comporta páginas e páginas repletas de mistério, um cenário atraente e personagens peculiares, bem ao estilo da Rainha do Crime, Agatha Christie.

Desta vez, o homicídio em questão é cometido numa expedição arqueológica, em Tell Yarimjah, o que proporciona um cenário exótico e distinto a este mistério. A ação é narrada por Amy Leatheran, uma enfermeira que testemunha os crimes cometidos. Esta é uma lufada de ar fresco, pois temos a...more
Christie Maurer
This is a book with great strengths and great weaknesses. Agatha Christie made use of her quite considerable experience on an archeological dig in Iraq. Her husband was a noted archeologist, and she used to spend winters with him there. I enjoyed the authentic details of how they explore ancient ruins, deal with native workers, live together in a field house, etc.

Christie chose the narrator well--Nurse Letheren--for her practical yet concerned, insightful, and accepting attitude toward the othe...more
Keith
Jul 26, 2007 Keith rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Big Christie fans only
This book is a muddle from the start. Christie awkwardly introduces the book's narrator, then sets the story in a very dry, plodding manner. The result is a bunch of faceless characters wandering about.

It's obvious which of these characters is murdered from the very start, and the actual murderer was the first person I suspected. There are also a couple of important details in the book that simply weren't credible.

The narrative voice was an interesting departure from Captain Hastings', but did s...more
Bigyellowtaxi1
This used to be one of my favourite Poirots but when I read it today I couldn't for the life of me remember why. The whole thing just seemed a little disappointing, not terrible but not great.

The characters were all introduced at once so it was easy to forget a few of them, especially as many of them played an unbelievably minor role and contributed little or nothing to the mystery. I found it dfficult to feel any affinity towards Nurse Leatheran, undeniably she's a good choice for narrator; clo...more
Patricio
Lo más destacable y lo que más me ha gustado del libro ha sido la enfermera Leatheran y sus "one-liners". También me ha gustado que esté narradado desde su perspectiva.
Marita_z
Agatha é Agatha. Mais um bom livro, um pouco diferente dos outros, uma vez que temos a narração na primeira pessoa.
Final surpreendente como sempre. É isso que gosto nela, consegue sempre surpreender-nos, mesmo que acertemos, nunca é pelas razões que pensamos.

Agatha is Agatha. Another good book, a bit different from others, since we have the narration in the first person.
Surprising final as always. It's why I like her, she always manages to surprise us, even if guess is never for the reasons we...more
Booklovers Melbourne
Also reviewed at http://bookloversmelbourne.blogspot.c...

Set on the site of an archaeological dig in Iraq, Christie drew on her own personal experiences for this particular tale. It was on a visit to Ur in Iraq that she met her husband, archaeologist Max Mallowan in 1928. A keen semi-amateur archaeologist herself, she passionately supported her husband's career throughout her life.

Published in 1936, this was the fourteenth Poirot story. Christie had continually written new additions to the serie...more
Etienne Mahieux
"Meurtre en Mésopotamie" s'inspire des expéditions archéologiques auxquelles Agatha Christie a participé elle-même avec compétence dit-on et son second mari Max Mallowan, deuxième mariage qui la place exactement dans la position de la malheureuse qui défuncte cruellement vers le tiers de l'ouvrage...
Christie était une experte inquiète de l'art de conter. Elle choisit ici de s'en remettre à une narratrice improbable, infirmière compétente et observatrice finaude, mais pas du tout à l'aise avec l'...more
Maria
Еще один прекрасный детектив от Агаты Кристи.
Практически с первых страниц выбрала для себя убийцу и мотив убийства.
И с каждой прочитаной страницей все ждала, когда же пойму что в очередной раз ошиблась и выбрала не ту кандидатуру.
Самый большой сюрприз поджидал меня тогда, когда выяснилось, что на этот раз я угадала! ))
Мотив для убийства есть практически у всех, но вот возможности казалось не было ни у кого.
И только Эркюль Пуаро, как всегда блестяще, во всем разберется...
Ercsi91
Another brilliant artwork from " Ohh great Mrs. Agatha Christie!" *claps*
Wonderful thing that you will never who is the culprit, and yet again, a great case was solved, in a very particular way.
I really love the way the writer presents everything through the eyes of a simple nurse. I really liked it this way.
And this time the plot is set in Mesopotamia, with a group of archaeologists, in which Mr.Poirot does it again ^^
Jessica
A classic locked-room puzzler that charmed me less for how Christie lays out the plot but for Nurse Leatheren and her refreshing lack of interest in the exotic setting of her latest job. Sometimes, it's nice to read something set abroad that doesn't feel the need to wrap in the entire text of three different monographs on the country through awkward exposition downloads.
Matteo Pellegrini

Un accampamento in mesopotamia, una spedizione di archeologi alquanto eterogenea...ed una donna bellissima ma paranoica che viene uccisa ...anche in questo romanzo la Christie ci porta in un ambiente esotico, con i colori ed i sapori tipici di quei luoghi assolati e sperduti... Tutto per la gioia del nostro caro Poirot, che anche stavolta si trova a dover non solo affrontare la ricerca di un insospettabile assassino, ma a dover pure combattere con il caldo e lo spiacevole inevitabile sudore, la

Kate  K. F.
Murder in Mesopotamia is Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot at their best. Nurse Leatheran is hired to come out to a dig in Iraq to help with Louise Leidner by her husband who fears she's paranoid. The dig which has a large house has the feel of a country house mystery where there are only ever so many ways to get in or out and all the characters know each other far too well. I found this plus the archaeology aspect particularly well done as Christie spent time on digs and there's the space for...more
A.M.
This edition of Poirot is narrated by a young nurse, not the usual Captain Hastings. Amy Leatheran has been employed by an archaeologist, Dr Leidner, to nurse his wife of two years at their dig in Iraq. She is, he says, suffering from stress and nerves. Amy has very set ideas about people, including Poirot whom she sees as an annoying little foreign man who puts five sugars in his tea.
Dr Leidner’s group consists of his long-time friend Carey, his assistant Miss Johnson, the Mercados a married co...more
Agatha Christie L...: October 2012 - Murder in Mesopotamia 27 52 Nov 03, 2012 01:31PM
  • Agatha Christie
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Giant's Bread
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Chinese Orange Mystery

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“Women can accept the fact that a man is a rotter, a swindler, a drug taker, a confirmed liar, and a general swine, without batting an eyelash, and without its impairing their affection for the brute in the least. Women are wonderful realists. ” 267 likes
“A woman who doesn't lie is a woman without imagination and without sympathy.” 34 likes