Start by marking “Up the Capitol Steps: A Woman's March to the Governorship” as Want to Read:
Up the Capitol Steps: A Woman's March to the Governorship

Up the Capitol Steps: A Woman's March to the Governorship

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Up the Capitol Steps" is a personal and political memoir by Oregon's first (and only) woman governor, one of only 34 women who have served as state chief executives in the history of the United States. Barbara Roberts offers a behind-the-scenes glimpse of a woman's life in politics and aims to "demystify" leadership by telling the story of her own unlikely rise to power. T ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Oregon State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Up the Capitol Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up the Capitol Steps

Marie

A few weeks ago I heard Barbara Roberts on Oregon Public Broadcasting's morning show, Think Out Loud, talking about her new memoir. In her lively, genuine way, she spoke about the highlights of her time as governor and also discussed her upbringing. I knew I wanted to read her book, so I put it on hold at the library.

Roberts is a fascinating woman. Raised primarily in a small Oregon town (Sheridan), she grew up in a blue collar family filled with love and
itpdx
Thank you, Barbara. (Beyond western informality, Barbara Roberts has shared so much of her life in this book that I feel like she is a friend.)
Barbara Roberts was the first (and so far, the only) woman who has served as governor of Oregon.
I want to thank her for sharing her challenges with her early marriage, being a single mom, raising an autistic child, the deaths of her parents, sister and husband.
I want to thank her for the insights into political campaigning and into the job of governor.
I
Sam
This is the truly amazing story of a women and her rise to governorship. As someone who isn't into politics I found the personal stories about her family very entertaining. Barbara Roberts has the ability to make you feel like your apart of her crusade. Her passion for her son and his disability was truly inspiring.
Pat Kennedy
I listened to a reading of this book by Oregon's former governor and was enthralled by her story. Her writing style is very succinct; not poetic but she has a great story. She was Oregon's first Democrat and her story about her career trajectory is very interesting. It is a quick read.
Bethany
Barbara Roberts certainly has led an interesting and note-worthy life. Her book fully tells her political life story, while also being a personal account of her life and family. This combination made for a great read. I feel like a smarter citizen. :)
Gail Johnson
Excellent. A great personal story told with wit, wisdom and passion. A must read for all who are interested in politics.
Les Aucoin
The true story of the rise and courage of Oregon's first and only woman governor.
Adrienne
Adrienne is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Katie Ridgeway
Katie Ridgeway marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Maija
Maija marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Tessara Dudley
Tessara Dudley is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2013
Evelynm
Evelynm is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2013
Brittany
Brittany is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2013
Ty
Ty marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2012
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Marcia Chapman
Marcia Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Hilary
Hilary is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2012
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Face Reading: How To Know Anyone At A Glance Face Reading: What Does Your Face Say? The Adventures of Phoebe Flower: Stories of a Girl with ADHD Not Under Bondage: Biblical Divorce for Abuse, Adultery and Desertion Decoupage Quilts