Start by marking “Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy” as Want to Read:
Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy

Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy

I always imagine each of the signoras who lived in this house—where she shelled peas, rocked the grandchild, placed a vase of the pink roses. Now I would like to take one of these women back to my house in California to show her how Bramasole traveled to America and took root, how the doors there are open to the breeze from San Pablo bay and to the distant view of Mount Ta ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Bringing Tuscany Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing Tuscany Home

Carmen
May 03, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-gardening
this book was not what it seemed. Since I had found it in the decorating section of the library, I had thought it would be a book which defined this style more than anything else. Instead it was a book with the theme" stop and smell the roses". Something we all need to be reminded of.
Barbara
Mar 25, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing
As an author she is great AND as a writer of a visual and cooking arts is amazing. She started years ago consulting with Drexler Heritage furniture to endorse a line of Tuscan furniture that was beautifully designed and made you feel like you were at Bramasole house. Now with a decorating book on creating your own Tuscan house down to the paint chips to cooking the foods you can ask yourself Why travel to Cortona? You can build your own Bramasole house I at home where you want to live. Sonoma C ...more
Shannon
Jul 13, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
If one can't afford a vacation or the purchase of a second home in Tuscany, one can immerse herself in the sunshine, Cyprus trees, and recipes of this book. A good combination of story with fabulous pictures of Tuscany, including architecture, interior design, gardens and more. Quite certain I'm going to be thinking of sunshine and the Italian countryside and tables filled with Italian food and wine bottles illuminated by the glow of candlelight for quite some time!
Amber
Sep 13, 2009 Amber rated it really liked it
Decorating books are really not my "thing", but this book I make an exception for. I love Frances Mayes style of writing. She adds a lot of intrest and imagery to everyday things I had not considered deeply before. Tuscan decor is also not my "thing", but I love her ideas about bringing what you love into your living spaces.

Thanks Frances.
Susan
Apr 07, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book mostly for the photography and the glimpse of the people I've come to know in her memoirs. Especially love the recipes for roasted tomatoes and plum tart, and grateful for the handy closing "little guide" to the artisans of Tuscany.
Sharon Schweitzer
Jan 23, 2015 Sharon Schweitzer rated it really liked it
This lavishly illustrated book provided not only design and gardening ideas for our family home, but also rich recipes for entertaining and celebrating. The Tuscan memories from our travels with friends have been integrated into our lifestyle with this gem!
Alyssa
Oct 06, 2009 Alyssa rated it did not like it
Shelves: home-idea-books
Says house and home on the library label but is a wandering travelogue with a few pictures of gardens and hardly any furniture or carvings or homes or anything of the sort. More recipes than anything else actually. I was hoping to see what italian home stuff was in the market, but oh well.
Julie
May 31, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
Completely worthless. It is basically just a list of vendors, which I could have found on the Internet, with some pictures added for coffee table appeal. This is just a shameless attempt by Mayes to wring even more money from her Tuscany books' fans.
Julie
Feb 04, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
When I read Frances Mayes books, I feel like I am with her in Tuscany. I have been to Tuscany and it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Her books just have so much nostalga of my time there.
Dawn
Oct 22, 2007 Dawn rated it it was ok
Mayes obviously has no regrets about the fixer-upper she bought in Tuscany a decade or so ago. However, the title is misleading, as the book actually does little to show how to bring the atmosphere of Tuscany home to anywhere other than...well, Tuscany. Pretty pictures, though.
Ceecee
Oct 17, 2011 Ceecee rated it really liked it
So I must say that although this book was not exactly what I'd hoped it would be, or it would tell me - I do love all things Tuscany, Italy - so yeah 4 stars! .. and as a special surprise - recipes in the back! I are happy (terrible grammar intentional)!
Melanie
Sep 27, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: italy
Short chapters describing the author's life in Tuscany and she is able to bring that life to her California home.
Emily S.
Feb 08, 2014 Emily S. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
How I long for a Tuscan villa! I'm glad for books like this, because they make it possible for me to create my own little bit of Tuscany right here. Loved the photos and recipes especially.
Gretta Fisher-gomez
Mar 06, 2008 Gretta Fisher-gomez rated it liked it
Beautiful book with yummy recipes.
Marilyn
Dec 15, 2010 Marilyn rated it it was ok
so far...nice pictures.
Jessica
May 17, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
This is not much of a decorating book, but I was certainly not disappointed. It allowed me a little escape to Tuscany. The photos were beautiful and I can't wait to try out Ed's recipes!
Tim
Aug 10, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
As much a biography, as a travel guide, as a photographic record of a beautiful country, as a cook book.
Stacy
Sep 07, 2009 Stacy rated it really liked it
What's not to like? The prose of Frances Mayes, Italy, beautiful old buildings, food, gorgeous pictures, etc...
I always want more. Krisette and I are going to get more.
Pat Tucker
Oct 17, 2011 Pat Tucker rated it really liked it
What a treat! After reading three of her memoirs I was ready to read more with a bonus of seeing lots of pictures. I like her poetic prose.
Janell
Sep 02, 2010 Janell rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Frances Mayes does an excellent job of describing, and incorporating the ideas that I have embodied for my life & existence on this plane.... savor this one is all I can say....
Deanna Valkingburg
Aug 17, 2010 Deanna Valkingburg rated it it was amazing
beautiful book loved it!
Jc
Mar 04, 2010 Jc rated it it was amazing
Makes me want to go back to Italy even more. Frances Mayes really brings Italy to life with all of her books.
Brenda
Sep 03, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Wonderful photos and info.
Kimberly
Apr 12, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and interesting and humorous and inspiring.
Shandra
The writer displays the Tuscan home style of Tuscany, Italy at her and her husband's home in California. There are numerous recipes, and beautiful photos of Italy and her friends.
Tammy
Jul 03, 2009 Tammy marked it as to-read
747.0945 May
Maura
Maura rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2017
Michele Giovanni
Michele Giovanni rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2008
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Bringing Tuscany Home 1 3 Jan 27, 2008 05:21PM
  • Italian Days
  • Too Much Tuscan Sun: Confessions of a Chianti Tour Guide (Insiders' Guides)
  • The Wisdom of Tuscany: Simplicity, Security & the Good Life - Making the Tuscan Lifestyle Your Own
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood (Modern Girl's Guides)
  • Mary Kay: You Can Have It All: Lifetime Wisdom from America's Foremost Woman Entrepreneur
  • Mawson: And the Ice Men of the Heroic Age: Scott, Shackleton and Amundsen
  • Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far
  • Italian Hours
  • The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
  • New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens) (Better Homes and Gardens Home)
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing
  • D.H. Lawrence and Italy: Twilight in Italy/Sea and Sardinia/Etruscan Places
  • The Lady in the Palazzo: At Home in Umbria
  • Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way
  • Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic: Colors
  • Rick Steves' Italy 2007
  • The Secret Life of the Seine
  • The Reluctant Tuscan: How I Discovered My Inner Italian
Frances Mayes's new book is Under Magnolia: A Southern Memoir , published by Crown. With her husband, Edward Mayes she recently published The Tuscan Sun Cookbook. Every Day in Tuscany is the third volume in her bestselling Tuscany memoir series.

In addition to her Tuscany memoirs, Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany , Frances Mayes is the author of the travel memoir A Year in the Wor
More about Frances Mayes...

“Although I am a person who expected to be rooted in one spot forever, as it has turned out I love having the memories of living in many places.” 10 likes
“At Bramasole, the first secret spot that draws me outside is a stump and board bench on a high terrace overlooking the lake and valley. Before I sit down, I must bang the board against a tree to knock off all the ants. Then I'm happy. With a stunted oak tree for shelter and a never-ending view, I am hidden. No one knows where I am. The nine-year-old's thrill of the hideout under the hydrangea comes back: My mother is calling me and I am not answering.” 7 likes