Diablo III: Book of Cain

Diablo III: Book of Cain (Diablo #8)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Since the dawn of time, the Eternal Conflict has raged between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. If the Prophecy of the End Days holds true, mankind will soon find itself trapped in the middle of this never-ending war.

Here renowned scholar Deckard Cain has combined excerpts, illustrations, and firsthand knowledge to pen a history of the world of Sanctuary. His writin...more
Published December 12th 2011 by Insight Editions (first published November 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diablo III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diablo III

Justin
Diablo III: Book of Cain is narrated by none other than Deckard Cain. He is writing this "tome, journal, etc" in hopes that Leah his profound "niece/daughter" will study and continue his works.

The content packed in this book is not necessarily lacking, however there is no real depth or attachment to the summarized events that go on in the universe of Diablo. The first half of the book contains background stories on creation of the universe, eternal war as well as the main powers of heaven and he...more
Richard Houchin
This reads like an extended old Blizzard game manual. I remember reading the manuals for WarCraft I and Diablo I cover to cover for all the story and artwork. Book of Cain delivers with wicked illustrations that have the power to define a whole style of imagining. And not only that, the writing has just the right balance of character and source-book style to give teasing hints at a great story that leaves enough undefined and contradictory to fuel the speculation.

It feels like they are building...more
Avery
What was really neat about this book is that it was written as if it was the actual item that appears in the game. From Deckard Cain’s point of view, it contains information on the High Heavens and the Burning Hells as well as the key players throughout history, presented as the ongoing research Cain collected throughout his life.

I’d never played a Diablo game before D3, but rather enjoy D3 when I just want to kill some pixel-people without having to think. Because of that, I was really unfamili...more
Ken
Diablo III: Book of Cain is written from Deckard Cain's point of view. The book is intended as a legacy to his niece Leah, who after reading this book, would have the knowledge to continue the work of the Horadrim before the coming apocalypse.

This book is packed with gorgeous artworks and lore that give the reader a better understanding of the Diablo universe. The first half of the book goes through the history of Sanctuary, including the eternal conflict between the High Heavens and Burning Hel...more
Parka

(More pictures on my blog)

This is a beautifully designed book.

There's a short book jacket ribbon across the cover. Beneath it is a gorgeous illustration embossed on both the front and back covers. The 148 pages have a yellow tinted look and a rough cut edge treatment that gives it an impression of some old tome. It's a nice idea executed well.

I've not played Diablo before but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the book. I can understand from reading why the game has such a huge following.

The boo...more
Ivan Leong
This book is truly amazing I would have given it a rating of 10/5 if I could. They successfully took an item out from the game and made it into an iconic book. Not only is it filled with the lore from the Diablo game but the artwork included and the book design is simply indulging. I feel immediately transported into the world of Diablo and Deckard Cain's voice murmuring as I read each lines.
I sincerely hope Blizzard keeps producing these fine editions for all their games. A simply MUST BUY ite...more
L.G. Estrella
I remember the days of my youth, or rather, my childhood with a great deal of fondness. Some of my fondest memories were of receiving a video game for my birthday or for Christmas. My parents set a limit of no more than two new video games a year. It was a wise thing to do, and it meant that I had to choose which games I got very carefully.

Once I'd chosen my video game, it was time to take it out of the box. In those days, video games came with quite a lot. There was, of course, the video game...more
Ryan Moat
Having been a fan of the story of Diablo since '96, this book was incredible, as it brought back those old childhood stories back to life. Having been given this book as a gift by a friend, I jumped into the reading, and was immediately captured by the artwork and stories written there within.
The incredible part about this book, was that it deepened the stories that I already knew. I was able to learn who the Dark Wanderer was, and what happened after the darkening of Tristram.
I love fantasy sto...more
Eri
DIABLO FANGIRL HERE, you've been warned.

After having I guess two home made tomes on Diablo at home, read all the relevant Blizzard-books I've dug into this 'game manual' AND I LOVED IT.

You want a nice history textbook? This is your choice.
You want a nice thing to look at? This is your choice. (Don't let me start on the drawing. This whole 'book' is illustrated so prettily in black and white way it makes me want to pick up pencil and rape a paper with it in attempt to copy some of these drawings...more
Adam Boudreau
This book is absolutely beautiful. It has excellent art and it has beautiful pages. They tried to make it look like an ancient text "hand written" by Decard Cane himself. It is certainly unrealistic to think they would do this completely, for example the type is printed like any other normal book, it is not hand written as it would have actually been in real life.

This book goes over some of the details of the lore in Diablo. It makes reference to a lot of the novels that have been written prior...more
Cale
This was an interesting book to read on the bus, especially when the cover and interior illustrations are very demonic looking, and 70+-year-old women are sitting around me. That may have colored my impression a bit.

This isn't a novel, or a FAQ, or strategy guide, or anything like that. It's basically a cliff's note version of the history and geography of the world of the Diablo games. It does a good job setting the chronology of all of the games, although it is also written from the perspective...more
James Calfee
It's good for what it is. It's silly fluff ahead of the release of Diablo 3, but if you are a fan of lore in your hack and slash it's a good choice. Nothing to difficult or engaging though.
Michael Alexander Henke
This book is so good. There are two main components to it, the art which is continuously amazing, and the prose which is a blast to read. The book is written as if by Deckard Cain, and it does a good job of covering the entire Diablo universe. It gives the history leading up to the first game, and covers the events of both the first and second game. It gives information and back story on all the main characters, including the 7 evils and all the angels. It also gives some great info on the world...more
Martin Happ
Definitely geared towards fans of the games, but it is a cool way to provide back story and expand the lore and game experience.
Francesca Lorenzini
Dec 06, 2013 Francesca Lorenzini rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tutti gli appassionati della saga di Diablo.
Fantastico, sembra di avere tra le mani un antico manoscritto. Il bordo delle pagine non è tagliato come un qualunque libro, ma strappato lungo un tratteggio in modo da sembrare già vissuto; ogni pagina ha una base giallastra; l'allineamento del testo è irregolare; alcune note sono riportate in direzione diversa dal testo principale.
Ed è stata una sorpresa scoprire tra gli illustratori nomi come Alan Lee e John Howe.
Un po' saggio, un po' racconto. Organizza tutte le vicende dei videogiochi all'i...more
Christopher Morrow
It's great to bring you up to speed on the stories of Diablo and Diablo II, while giving a lot of interesting lore that sparks the imagination of the possibilities of what could happen in Diablo III. However, by itself, the storytelling is rushed and vague with a lot of "The heroes were nearly overcome, but they prevailed."

While I don't think many would turn to this book for a good fantasy story, if they did they'd be disappointed. Great for Diablo fans though.
Rafael
Mar 07, 2013 Rafael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: game-novel
Finally a book that is beautifully and exclusively designed to tell the story of Diablo's world. Maybe you have already read some of the novels (or manuals from games), nonetheless this is a great adition to your library. This book tells about the origins of the world, how angels and demons first appeared, their stories, and some details about the unfortunate people that live inside this world. At the end of the book, I still wanted to know more :)
Jakob Barnard
If you are a long time fan of the franchise - you will enjoy this book. It is set at a reasonable price and the artwork really makes it worth it. The text is little more than a great way to refresh yourself on Diablo lore in preparation for the upcoming release of Diablo 3... or just for fun.

Personally, its been a good 10 years since the last time I played a Diablo game - so enjoyed the recap of the world immensely.
Marius Masalar
A satisfying, comfortably in-depth exploration of one of the most defining game mythologies in the history of the medium. Reveals a number of illuminating facets and presents everything in the familiar tone of everyone's favourite narrator, Deckard 'stay awhile and listen' Cain.

Recommended for fans and game lore collectors.
Roberto
Me gustó mucho, de seguro debe estar en la biblioteca de todo seguidor de la saga Diablo.
Suvojit
This book in many ways is a dream come true for Diablo fans, and fantasy lovers. Packed with gorgeous artworks, and a fantastic story to tag along, this keeps you hooked and yearning for more. A brilliant addition to any fantasy lover's collection.
Kim
This book is definitely a must for any fan of the Diablo series. Great illustrations and full of details about the Sanctuary that you hope to learn more about with the upcoming release of Diablo III.
Zakary

As much an artbook as a lore anthology, Diablo III: Book of Cain is a fantastic summary of the universe that spans this game series.
Really good read for those wanting info on the Lore of the Diablo games.. I've never played any of the games but reading this made me want to.
Medros
This book was a fun, but not along read. It is more of a wikipedia of the worlds involved in the diablo universe, and their more notable denizens.
Andy
5 stars to learn about Diablo Lore. Makes me want to go back and read it again so I retain more of the vast knowledge held within!
Brody
Awesome read for any Diablo fan. The background written in the book was much fun to read and the art was phenomenal. Very impressed.
Sean
Doesn't do a whole lot to expand on the lore already stated in game.
But does leave vague hints about possible expansions.
Jessica
Amazing art work and beautiful back stories.

Definitely a good way to lull over the wait for d3.
Benjamin
This book provides quite a detailed insight into Diablo lore unavailable elswhere. Was a good read.
  • Diablo III: The Order (Diablo, #8)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • The Art of Bioshock Infinite
  • The Art of Mass Effect
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Okami Official Complete Works
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...
The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1) Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1) The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1) Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1) The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)