Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Vegan food has come a long way in the past decade. The once ubiquitous dry, packaged veggie burger is no longer the poster child for an animal-free diet. It has evolved into a creative, sophisticated cuisine touted by the likes of Food & Wine magazine. Long at the fore of vegan blogging and cooking, Dreena Burton has been known for making healthy taste delicious. Let T...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Kathy
Well done! 4 1/2 stars. Although I've only made 2 of the recipes so far, I can tell this will be one of my "go-to" cookbooks. I love that Dreena uses mostly real plant foods instead of meat substitutes - which I'm not very fond of - in this book. I like the different options and suggestions to replace or add things. The first recipe I tried was the "No-fu Love Loaf". It was great! I finally have a "meat-loaf" recipe. I also liked being able to slice and pan-fry the leftovers the next day for lun...more
Carrie
I really like Dreena's other books and I was really excited that she was releasing a new one. I read some mixed reviews, so I checked this out of the library before buying. I'm glad I did. I don't think I would purchase it for myself. Desserts take up a large portion of the book and I'm more interested in savory food. Additionally, there are a lot of recipes that use a large quantity of nuts. These are expensive, and you may want to be aware of this if you have an allergy in your family.

I don't...more
Arminda Lindsay
There has been a lot of praise given for this book, and I was anxious to get my own copy and start testing the recipes.

I couldn't have been more disappointed.

What, exactly, is everyone making all the time from Dreena's collection? The cover of the book boasts "200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family," yet the vast majority of recipes are sweets.

I'm not opposed to vegan sweets, but for as many people who claim this as their "go-to" recipe collection for all things...more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
These are all very good recipes - have not run across a bad one. They are fine for my cooking capacities - not requiring multiple steps or really weird ingredients (I have plenty of weird ingredients). I sometimes tweak it a bit depending on what I have on hand. There are some spices I don't care for as much so they tend to get halved if they are going in a recipe where I'll taste it but that's my own personal preference. Solid book - great to have on hand!
Theresa
I'm going vegetarian by the end of 2012 so this is prep material.
AnnieM
This was the wrong cookbook for me at the wrong time. This would be the fancy cookbook. It has a lot of new ingredients I'd have to buy before I attempted most of these.

This is the book that helped me realize it's easier for me to find cookbooks that are gluten-free first and I can edit for vegetarian.

It has great information and as I get better at having to be gluten-free I might revisit this book. At this point I'm too overwhelmed by the gluten free aspect that I must have and the vegetarian...more
Sherry
I'm rating this cookbook without actually having made any of the recipes in the book, so it's silly for me to rate this, but I have read through the book, and everything sounds amazingly delicious. I've got all my recipes lined up for the week!

A great thing about this book is all the recipe adaptations the author includes, particularly for gluten-free cooking. Even if you are not eating a gluten-free diet, there are plenty of gluten-ful recipes within. However, if you're embarking on a gluten-fr...more
Jessica
The recipes in this book remind me of the Superhero dishes in The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet, except Alicia is Californian and Dreena is from Canada. The food is delicious and a perfect fit for my family, but may be too "healthy" tasting for people who aren't accustomed to eating a plant-based whole foods diet. Also, some of the recipes require specialty ingredients, such as millet and spelt flours. (There's no white flour in any of the recip...more
Hanako
I've enjoyed the recipes I've made so far, and I like that she includes adaptations and alternatives for many recipes. I really like that none of the recipes rely on things like vegan sausage or other fake products, fake cheese or whatever. She occasionally uses soy yogurt but also has a recipe for a yogurt that you can use in her recipes.
Nikki
2012

I love Dreena Burton's cookbooks, the recipes are usually delicious AND already healthy without me having to sub further. My favorite of hers still remains Eat, Drink and Be Vegan but they can't all be favorites right? The only complaint I have for this one is that I wish there were more entree dishes as there are many dips, desserts etc.. But I will not complain about the many muffin recipes as her muffins are wonderful. This wouldn't be my top recommended vegan cookbook, but it certainly i...more
Tracy Pullman
1st and best vegan book I own
Laurie
Tons of yummy-sounding recipes.

I was able to cook 10 or so recipes while I had it checked out from the library. The recipes have pretty short ingredient lists and they're straight-forward and quick and easy to accomplish. Huge dessert section also.

Some of my faves:
~Rosemary Gravy
~Fresh Cream Sauce
~Grilled Onion Hummus with Hemp Seeds
~"Hello Vegan" Bars (duh)
~Tomato Artichoke Pasta
Heather
I have always found Dreena's recipes to be really yummy and the recipes in this book are no exception. Everything I've tried so far has been really good and my kids love them too(which is really saying something)! The Quinoa and Corn Chowder(not sure if that's the exact name) is super!
Sandy
Lots of things I'd like to try in this one, with lots of helps for those of us not familiar with some of these ingredients, or, in my case, just not very handy in the kitchen to begin with. A title I definitely want on my cookbook shelf.
Esther
Although many of the recipes involve oils (olive, grapeseed, etc.), I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this. There are some awesome recipes. An absolute must-read and own for vegans looking to increase their repertoire.
Laurie
This is definitely more challenging that Vegan Diner, but I'm trying not to be scared off. I already made the pot pie. YUM. And the B-Raw-nies are like chocolate Lara bars.
Deyara
Lots of yummy-looking recipes. I copied a couple but need to wait til after shopping to try them - my only problem is that most of the recipes have 20-ish ingredients.
Michelle
A few good recipes, but lots of junk food, lots of high fat food, and no nutritional info. Too bad.
Paula
One of the better vegan cook books.
heather
My new favorite cookbook!
Sharon Lee
Sharon Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Paige
Paige is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Vegan Cooking &am...: Let Them Eat Vegan! By Dreena Burton 21 41 Jan 22, 2014 12:03AM
Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating Vive le Vegan!: Simple, Delectable Recipes for the Everyday Vegan Family The Everyday Vegan: Recipes & Lessons for Living the Vegan Life Plant-Powered 15