Start by marking “The Little Door Slides Back” as Want to Read:
The Little Door Slides Back

The Little Door Slides Back

But then, from way off, with cranking
comes my night, and when it arrives
I go to it like a callboy to a c-note.
--"My Interior"

"Jeff Clark's poems . . . marry the stoned reveries of our postmodern era with the symbolist bliss of a previous one . . . In meticulously crafted verse and prose poems, The Little Door Slides Back offers the reader glimpses of a shadow world, seen b
Published April 1st 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Door Slides Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Door Slides Back

C.S. Carrier
Sep 08, 2008 C.S. Carrier rated it it was amazing
It's been years since I read this book and I still can't articulate how it killed.
Kevin Lawrence
Mar 25, 2015 Kevin Lawrence rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to like this book more but I just don't -- there is something very mannered and predictable in its American surrealist mode (especially being of a very francophilia flavor.) Eventually I'll need to figure out for myself why American surrealist poetry usually bores me but surrealist filmmakers like Guy Maddin or most of David Lynch fascinates me (yes, I realize Maddin is Canadian but he's really a nymphomaniac so we can claim him.)
Kent
Oct 20, 2009 Kent rated it it was amazing
This book feels like the book of the unhealthy relationship, or the toxic speaker, even though there are times when it just feels like the speaker is misunderstood. I like the book for the unusual motives it elaborates on. I like the book because it feels to me all these poems eventually lead to an impression of "Jeff Clark," the guy who's written the book. And I believe I'm being led to "Jeff Clark" because of the central poem "Some Information About Twenty-Three Years of Existence," where the ...more
Mark Flowers
Nov 21, 2009 Mark Flowers rated it it was amazing
My knowledge of poetry pretty much ends with modernism (which is how far I got in school - I focused on fiction), so I don't think i have the words to describe this book, but just on a visceral level this really got me. Blow-notes, If I Don't Return, and Marie-Pristine were some of my favorites, but they were mostly all great.
Douglas
Lots of interesting words put together to form clauses. I have no idea what any of them mean. To be fair, I won't assign any star rating, since technically I have no comprehension of what I read.
Jacob
Apr 19, 2012 Jacob rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes a ghost entered my heart and I could feel, and sometimes phrases entered my mind and I could speak, with reason. But never was I able to stay a man long enough to remain him."
John Allen
Aug 09, 2013 John Allen rated it it was amazing
A superb, nearly seamless piece of Decadent/Surrealist/post language work which will be a cult classic in a few decades.
Katie  Kurtz
Jul 29, 2009 Katie Kurtz rated it liked it
Recommended to Katie by: Found at Book Culture on 112th, NY.
There are a few too many "maudlins" but Clark's meter is fierce.
Vicky
Feb 16, 2011 Vicky rated it liked it
Recommended to Vicky by: "K" who left a blog comment re: poem about being 23
Will need to revisit this soon
Emily
Aug 29, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
dude.
Rurik Baumrin
Rurik Baumrin is currently reading it
May 27, 2016
David Boeving
David Boeving rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Jamey
Jamey marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Niel
Niel rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Jenn Shapland
Jenn Shapland marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Beth Heggan
Beth Heggan marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Natalie B
Natalie B rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Potter Brandon
Potter Brandon rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Dimitri Anastasopoulos
Dimitri Anastasopoulos rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Morgan Rhea
Morgan Rhea rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013