Start by marking “The Little Door Slides Back” as Want to Read:
The Little Door Slides Back

The Little Door Slides Back (National Poetry Series #85)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  10 reviews
But then, from way off, with cranking
comes my night, and when it arrives
I go to it like a callboy to a c-note.
--"My Interior"

"Jeff Clark's poems . . . marry the stoned reveries of our postmodern era with the symbolist bliss of a previous one . . . In meticulously crafted verse and prose poems, The Little Door Slides Back offers the reader glimpses of a shadow world, seen b
Published April 1st 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Door Slides Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Door Slides Back

Hai-Dang Phan
Some books ought to come with soundtracks. For Jeff Clark's The Little Door Slides Back, I would have recorded the eerie deafening noise, the sharp metallic scream of the BART as it careened with its human cargo through the Transbay Tube heading toward SF from Berkeley, where I was going when I began reading these "Lunar Tercets":

Things are not as we would have them be.
The moon is not a yellow sow
hung from a meat hook

on a drab shed wall: it is a moon.
Ashes do nothing
while we sleep: they are tree
C. Carrier
It's been years since I read this book and I still can't articulate how it killed.
Kent
This book feels like the book of the unhealthy relationship, or the toxic speaker, even though there are times when it just feels like the speaker is misunderstood. I like the book for the unusual motives it elaborates on. I like the book because it feels to me all these poems eventually lead to an impression of "Jeff Clark," the guy who's written the book. And I believe I'm being led to "Jeff Clark" because of the central poem "Some Information About Twenty-Three Years of Existence," where the ...more
Mark Flowers
My knowledge of poetry pretty much ends with modernism (which is how far I got in school - I focused on fiction), so I don't think i have the words to describe this book, but just on a visceral level this really got me. Blow-notes, If I Don't Return, and Marie-Pristine were some of my favorites, but they were mostly all great.
Douglas
Lots of interesting words put together to form clauses. I have no idea what any of them mean. To be fair, I won't assign any star rating, since technically I have no comprehension of what I read.
Jacob
"Sometimes a ghost entered my heart and I could feel, and sometimes phrases entered my mind and I could speak, with reason. But never was I able to stay a man long enough to remain him."
John Allen
A superb, nearly seamless piece of Decadent/Surrealist/post language work which will be a cult classic in a few decades.
Katie  Kurtz
Jul 29, 2009 Katie Kurtz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: Found at Book Culture on 112th, NY.
There are a few too many "maudlins" but Clark's meter is fierce.
Vicky
Feb 16, 2011 Vicky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vicky by: "K" who left a blog comment re: poem about being 23
Will need to revisit this soon
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Beth Heggan
Beth Heggan marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Alyssa Dean
Alyssa Dean marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Socorro
Socorro marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Sander Thijsen
Sander Thijsen marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
JD
JD marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Music and Suicide: Poems Ruins The End of Church As We Know It The Little Door Slides Back: Poems Dad's Masterpiece: The Patricia Masotto Story