Start by marking “Under a Fairy Moon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Under a Fairy Moon
T.M. Wallace

Under a Fairy Moon (Fairy Moon #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  19 reviews
If you have been longing for an adventure and your family moves next-door to a beautiful garden full of lush plants and ancient stone, wouldn't you sneak over to have a look at it – even if it was owned by the neighbourhood witch?

Addy Marten doesn't need to think twice: It is only a matter of time before she sets out to explore the garden's winding paths and especially, th
Published August 24th 2011 by Brownridge Publishing (first published July 19th 2011)

Bluerose's  Heart
Addy is a fourteen year old girl who thinks her neighbor, Mrs. Tavish, might be a witch. Despite this, she enjoys spending time in Mrs. Tavish's garden. One day, she meets a boy named Conner, and together they discover that the garden is actually a Median Realm.
With the help of Entuia, a pixie, they learn they must play a game of Fairy Chess, which really isn't like the game of chess we know, to return to their world. They learn more about themselves in the process, along with a bit of heartache
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Addyson is fourteen and has a very active imagination. She has recently moved into a new home and the neighbor has an overgrown garden that is perfect for her to play pretend in. She doesn't realize that it is an inbetween place of the land of fairy and the human realm.

She finds herself caught up in a "game" to win her way home. Her new friend Connor, who she found in the garden gets to play it with her. The stakes are much higher than her ability to go home, it is a fight of good against evil.
I wonder how I would feel about this book if I had read it before Harry Potter? I still wouldn't of loved it, but maybe my hackles wouldn't have been raised so soon. As soon as she starts describing the statues, my thought was," Chess are you serious?". When the witch said, "are you sure, it's obvious you want to prove yourself and I can give you the power to do it" (or something close to that) I almost tossed the book.

The rest of the book feels choppy like she was assigned to write a book by ou
I received a free copy through Goodreads.
This was a lovely read. I quite like how the author brought us into a whole new world in such a few short chapters. To go from an ordinary world into a magical realm and right in Addy's neighbour's backyard! The chess game Addy, Entuia and Conner was full of adventure, danger and unexpected turns. Every turn brings about a twist you didn't see or expect. With magic, pixies, elves, witches and a unicorn in the fold you should always expect the unexpecte
Under A Fairy Moon is a YA fantasy novel.

Addy Marten has just moved in to her new home and is enchanted by her neighbour, Mrs. Tavishs' garden. It is her get away place from the world until the day she sees a boy talking to Mrs. Tavish, she decides to investigate except things aren't what they appear to be any longer.

Addy is positive she is no longer in the garden next door as weird things begin to occur. After meeting Connor, she is relieved that she won't have to traverse the garden alone.

My full 3.5 JEWEL review can be found at: One Book Shy of a Full Shelf

This was a delightful story that I think will appeal to older middle grade readers and up. T.M. Wallace has created a story chock full of characters that kids can relate to. They are well written and quite believable in their actions and dialogue. I enjoyed the fact that the author's fae were based on the darker, more malevolent beings from myth and legend. The lighter "sparkly" fairies tend to get the majority of the attentio
Maxine Mathew
Under A Fairy Moon surprised me. I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The characterisation was great and I could feel Addy's fears and confusion at being confronted by situations she is not used to. I too share Addy's feelings about the garden and would have loved to explore it because of the enigma surrounding it. However, I wish Connor had more parts in the book as he is likable and friendly. His geeky nature made me love him all the more. He is the perfect choice of companion ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith

Every garden has the possibility for a child with an imagination. For Addy Marten, her garden belonged to the neighbor Mrs. Tavish, who rumor has it was a reported witch. Yet whenever Addy saw her, she was just an old woman, in a brightly colored flowered dress with a large hat who loved working in her garden and talking to her flowers.

Whenever Mrs. Tavish wasn't in the garden was when Addy would sneak in, to the deepest part, beneath the thick overgrown shrubs, next to the bubbling creek to the
Becky B
If fairies and elves played Wizard Chess, and the movement of pieces transported players to other places to survive situations in order to advance to the next round, this would be the story of such a game. Of course, in this book they call it Fairy Chess and the fate of the entire Summerland hangs in the balances. The players (who are tricked into playing by a mischevious fairy) are a human boy and girl who suddenly find themselves in the Fairy Queen's realm just as the Fairy Queen and Elf King ...more
Book Twirps
Fourteen-year-old Addyson Martin just moved next door to a witch, or at least that’s what everyone calls the strange old woman who is now her neighbor. Addy watches the old woman’s garden from her bedroom window, studying the large, curious statues that sit amongst the beautiful flowers, shrubs and trees. Addy has a very active imagination, and one day finds the courage to venture next door to explore the vast garden. She imagines a magical land within the garden walls, a land that Addy rules ov ...more
(Under A Fairy Moon is intended for a young reader and, as the parent of a tween, I can only comment from the perspective of a mom.)

T.M. Wallace will treat readers to a wonderfully imaginative and mystical adventure full of fantastical new friends and unabashedly devious new foes. Intended for a middle grade audience, Under A Fairy Moon will stretch your tweens imagination on a journey of perseverance and courage. Adult readers will also find a pleasantly delightful reading experience.

Both intri
Barbara Martin
This beautifully written novel weaves a magical world in which the reader follows the main character into a battle between good and evil. Our heroine Addy finds herself caught in a game that she doesn't know how to play. As she travels deeper into the fairy realms, she discovers she is more than she thought she was. The author has created a rich world of fairy kings and queens, pixies and magic that reminds one of George MacDonald's Princess and Curdie books.
This book reminded me a bit of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or Philosopher's Stone depending on where you live) with a BIG dose of The Secret Garden mixed in.

The main character, Addy, gets trapped in the magical garden of her neighbour. There, she meets Connor, a similarly-trapped boy who becomes a friend and a fellow team-mate in a game of Fairy Chess where each player IS a piece in the game.

The fairy world is in chaos, the balance between good and evil has been upset, and it is up t
Jessica Lamb

This book is the best book I have read in my whole life! There is such great detail... it just amazed me! I would recommend this book to everyone who likes a little adventure, mystery, and most of all, MAGIC! Best book ever... would totally re-read it again. Thank you so much T.M. Wallace!
Kathy Evans
Fairy good

The story is well-written and entertaining. Easy to read. I find myself wondering how their adventure in the garden affected the lives of the children after they returned home. Have they formed a lifelong friendship?
this was all right although I would have enjoyed it more when I was in middle school.
A received this book from the GoodReads Giveaway along with a lovely pixie pendant!
I really enjoyed this book, it was a wonderful read and a good storyline told by a talented author. Very imaginative story about a young girl who explores her neighbours garden and finds out it is more than meets the eye.
Dave Law
This is a fantasy about a girl who finds that her neighbor's garden is pathway to a fairyland and gets trapped within it. Perhaps I'm not the target audience as I only found the story okay and a little forced. No doubt tweens and the alike would find it a more thrilling adventure.
Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Smarshall marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
:leah marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Wendy Mitchell
Wendy Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Chibs marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
AnimalLover marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Je74393 marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Abby Carolyn
Abby Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
  • Tales of the Dim Knight
  • The Storyteller
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • The Guardians of the Hidden Scepter
  • The Return of the Dragon
  • Seduction of a King (The Back Road to Wonderland, #1)
  • The King's Hand (The Knight of Eldaran #2)
  • Moonblood (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #3)
  • Midnight and Moonshine
  • Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth
  • The Little Unicorn That Had No Horn
  • Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Great Bear Rainforest
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Any Witch Way
  • The Boys of Fire and Ash
  • Rebel (The Brides of Alba #3)
  • Prophecy (The Children of the White Lions, #2)
Theresa Wallace lives with her husband and four talented children in Ontario, Canada. Her young adult fantasy novel "Under a Fairy Moon" was a finalist in the Amazon Break-through Novel Awards in 2010 and was published by Brownridge Publishing in the summer of 2011. In 2012, "Under a Fairy Moon" won the Gelett Burgess Children’s Book Award for Fantasy and the Canadian Christian Writing Awards (You ...more
More about T.M. Wallace...

Fairy Moon (2 books)