Start by marking “Ellen's Lion” as Want to Read:
Ellen's Lion

Ellen's Lion

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Originally published in 1959 and out of print for two decades, this collection of very short stories chronicles Ellen’s relationship– complete with two-way conversations–with her floppy stuffed lion. Ellen’s temperament is a bit like Christopher Robin’s (though her appearance is a clone of Harold, from Harold and the Purple Crayon fame), but her lion is a no-nonsense, toug ...more
Published July 27th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Ellen's Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellen's Lion

Roger
The first story is very funny. And clever and has enough mystery to it that a child who figures it out will forever love this book. Maybe. I mean, what do I know? But I was proud that I figured it out, and I'm only 46 and a half.

Ignore my review above. This is a very funny kid's book by the author of Harold & the Purple Crayon.
SarahBeth
As much as I love Harold and his Purple Crayon, I like Ellen and her Lion better. I was so thrilled when I found this in print a few years back and my Dad gave me a copy for Christmas.
Ellenmurr16
I loved this book, it even stars my (very rare) name
Ami
Before Calvin & Hobbes or Toy Story, there was Ellen and her lion. Powered by her imagination and tempered by his rationality, the duo have conversations both silly and deep, and adventures such as going to Arabia on the playroom train and getting a drink in the DARK. Originally published in 1959, it has an “old-fashioned” sweetness, but exhibits a timeless understanding of children’s fears and imagination as well as a subtle humor that hasn’t lost any luster in the intervening years.
Chris
One has to come to the conclusion that Bill Waterspn read these stories a lot when he was a kid. The basic premise is Calvin here is a little girl and Hobbs is a stuffed lion that only talks to her.
The book is 54 years old but reads like it could have been written yesterday.
Brennan Wieland
These are some funny and very short stories. They have a very simple plot, following a girl around with her stuffed lion that she pretends is alive. The introductory story I thought was best, and they all seemed pretty similar after that.
Kari
Mildly amusing for adults perhaps...not entertaining for a kid; actually doing all these things is much better than reading about them. 8 out of the 12 stories are just about exactly what I did as a kid. But it's pretty accurate.
Alex
Read this to the kids tonight. I don't usually put those books on here, but I really liked these stories of a little girl and her toy lion an their conversations. Extremely funny. Often sweet. Great for reading out loud.
Alisa Wilhelm
Adorable and funny--though most of the jokes would fly right over the heads of the children reading it. I love the lion's cool logic and Ellen's impetuously optimistic imagination.
Ellen Morgan
How can anyone not like this book? It's about an Ellen! My copy is almost in shreds. I think it might be one of the very first books I ever owned.
Deanna
Funny stories, really cute, makes me feel like a little kid!
Mollywainio
Mollywainio marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Jorgina
Jorgina marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...
Harold and the Purple Crayon The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon Harold's Fairy Tale A Picture for Harold's Room Harold's Circus