Bangkitnya Bintang Malam  (Fablehaven, #2)

Bangkitnya Bintang Malam (Fablehaven #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  37,888 ratings  ·  2,741 reviews
copy-editor: Rika Iffati Farihah
proofreader: Tisa Anggriani

Saat membuka mata, dia terkejut mendapati bagian dalam kepompong diterangi oleh pendar hijau lembut, seolah cahaya tersebut menembus masuk dari luar. Kepompong tetap tenang tak wajar. Apakah Olloch sedang tidur? Kenapa tiba-tiba ada cahaya? Apakah cahaya tersebut menembus tubuh Olloch sekaligus kepompong?

Lima Suaka...more
Published August 2011 by Mizan Fantasi (first published 2007)

Aaron Vincent
My first venture to the magical world of Fablehaven was truly an unforgettable one. I just couldn’t stop raving about it to every bookish person I know. Truth be told, I read Harry Potter series because a number of critics and authors compared Fablehaven to it(and yes, I just read Harry Potter this year. Please, don’t kill me.) I wanted to prolong the pleasure in reading the entire Fablehaven series so I didn’t read the 2nd book immediately after the 1st one. I finally decided to revisit Fableha...more
Tyler
Kendra and Seth can't wait for the end of the school year so that they can return to visit their grandparents at Fablehaven. A few days before the school year ends, a scabby kobold appears in her class. The kobold appears normal to everybody except Kendra. With the aid of a kobold exterminator they get rid of him and are then swiftly evacuated to Fablehaven for their own safety. Once there, they find out that the Society of the Evening Star (which opposes preserves such as Fablehaven) has gotten...more
Thomas
Mar 28, 2008 Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Kendra and Seth return to Fablehaven to discover more of what they don't know (and that can kill them) and save the day. Seth, now a year older, is a little wiser and doesn't find himself in as much trouble, but again, it is Kendra who comes through.

By the way, in both books, while Kendra is the reluctant heroine, she is helped by others, so this isn't some supergirl of unlimited capabilities or powers.

I get the feeling, in reading these first two books in the series, that these two young advent...more
DeLaina
Feb 03, 2008 DeLaina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DeLaina by: my 10-yr old daughter Amanda, thanks to Jen Christensen's daught
Shelves: ya
I liked the sequel to Fablehaven even better than Fablehaven itself. The author was able to flesh out the characters and each gained a lot of depth.

I read Fablehaven last night, and the sequel, Rise of the Evening Star, tonight, so they're quick reads at 3-4 hours each. (Thank you writer's strike and sick, clingy kids who INSIST on me holding them and not minding me reading at the same time!!!)

They’re fantasy, not unlike Harry Potter but more infused with value of the family. No Dudley or mean...more
Almak
The events in Rise of the Evening Star pick up months after where Fablehaven left off. It continues the adventures of Kendra and Seth Sorensen as they become embroiled in an insidious plot by the forces of evil to obtain powerful, magical items and unleash a nearly unstoppable horror.

Mull deftly continues to add to the wonders of the world that is Fablehaven, giving the reader new exciting storyline and plots while nimbly threading in those from the previous book.

His writing etches the framework...more
Lindsey
May 03, 2012 Lindsey rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle-schoolers, clean read, boy-and-girl appeal, fast read
Recommended to Lindsey by: Andrew and Cynthia
Shelves: cleanreads, reviewed
All right. This book was a mess. By about page 300 I was just zipping through it, so as to have the vital information for the next installment, because A and C promised it gets better. Sigh.

As usual, Mull delivers on imaginative world building, and the pace never slows, but his logical foundation is so weak I don't dare examine it--one too-direct breath could knock the whole thing over.

(view spoiler)...more
I think this book was better then the first. I am still not drawn to the main characters. I wish Kendra would take some more initiative and try to find out what her talents and powers are from being made fairy kind. There is so much build up to that and it is left hanging again in this book like it was in the first. I wish Seth would set a better example in the book, he is constantly disobeying, I was not thrilled with the things the children did in this book, i.e. sneaking out of their parents...more
Rachel
Nov 09, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
GREAT writing. If you liked Harry Potter, you'll LOVE this one. The writing is tighter, the characters not as....angst-filled, a little more real, I think.
The world is so beautiful and yet real-feeling. There is a great sense of morality without the SLAP of it in your face. NO force feeding here, just a delightful romp, jog and then a mad-dash to the climax in a world of majesty and power that is both magical and compelling.
LOVED it. EVERY person (at least a dozen) I have recommended it to (even...more
Francis
Quiero aclarar y reafirmar que esta saga es fantástica.

Puede que sea algo más infantil que otras, que no esté bien fundamentada o que no sea tan conocida... pero es una lectura muy imaginativa, adictiva y va evolucionando en cada libro.

Tanto la historia como los personajes enganchan de una manera brutal; Fablehaven es un mundo increíble, de ensueño y repleto de magia.
El amor por la imaginación, la vida y los seres fantásticos se refleja en cada una de sus páginas y la lucha incansable entre el b...more
Taz Kuster
Returning back after a long school year, our heroes are faced with another challenge in their quest to keep the sanctuary safe. Kendra finds a kobold has managed to enter into her class undetected. Soon after a man by the name Errol offers to help get rid of this mischievous monster in exchange for a task done in return. After completing the task, Seth and Kendra are approached by this same man requesting that they follow him. The two find out from their grandpa that is a trap and they make thei...more
Daniel Poulsen
In this book, the Society of the Evening Star is causing trouble for the kids and
Fablehaven in general. The characters are having trouble keeping the preserve intact, and their adventures in doing so are told. I chose to read this book because it was recommended to me by a friend, and I was hooked on the series after that. I liked how the book keeps the reader interested, and never has a prolonged period of nothing happening. I did not like how little twists in the plot there were. My overall i...more
Erin
Fablehaven is flat and forgettable. There is plenty of action and adventure, but it is soon forgotten when the book is finished.

However, I did have to give this book the dubious honor of being labeled “rubbish”. Mull has an uncanny knack for writing offensive things about Indians. This book had children playing on a Foosball table populated with cowboys and Indians – complete with headdresses and bare chests. For those struggling to wrap their heads around this, an illustration is included on pa...more
3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this book slightly more than I did the first one. I like a little more action/adventure/intrigue to my fantasy novels and this one delivered in comparison. I did not like how neither of the main characters played much of a role in the climaxing moments of the second book. Kendra WAS acceptably involved in the first novel.

I'm a Potter fan, I admit it, so permit me my little rant. In the Harry Potter books the characters have great mentors but in the crucial deciding moment...more
Rhiannon Ryder
So Seth and Kendra's lives are just getting more and more interesting, which generally means more dangerous as well, but dangerous equals fun right?

An incident at school, involving a crazy teacher and a Kobold (don't you just hate it when that happens?), makes it apparent that they need to head back to the safety of Fablehaven. Upon arrival they discover the preserve is abuzz. After the previous summers near catastrophe, it has been decided that the secret artifact needs to move, since obviousl...more
Exina
‘Rise of the Evening Star’, the second installment of the ’Fablehaven’ series is more dynamic and more complex than the first one. More mysteries, more adventures take place, and keep you absorbed throughout the story.

The world-building in the first book, ‘Fablehaven’, was incomplete and unrefined, now the magical world of Fablehaven begins to unfold, as well as more and more special abilities of Kendra.

Colorful and varied magic is created in ‘Rise of the Evening Star’. It is so diverse both in...more
Sreeparna
Woodge
In this second book of the Fablehaven series, Kendra and Seth are back at school when strange things start to happen. The magical world, especially the sinister Society of the Evening Star, comes looking for them. Soon they are back at Fablehaven along with some new characters. The Society is desperately trying to get their hands on the magical artifact hidden at Fablehaven. Can Kendra and Seth stop them?

Like the first book, I read this one aloud to the kids. They like it. They want me to read...more
Crystal
Jul 02, 2009 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of young adult fantasy, kids AND adults
Recommended to Crystal by: read the first one
I enjoyed this book as much, if not more than, the first one. Kendra is one of my favorite heroines in young adult literature, because I can respect her--she may be smart and a little geeky, but she does her work and obeys the rules. I appreciate that the books allow her to succeed by being herself, not having to get into trouble in order to achieve things. one of my pet peeves with the Harry Potter series was that they only ever seemed to achieve anything through disobedience and deception. Ken...more
Gillian
The second installment of the Fablehaven series was much more enjoyable for me than the first. More action-packed maybe. I don't know. I just got much more into it this time around. And the kids went NUTS for it, so that's saying something. Gave my heart tugs to hear my middle guy say one night that he was going to read the Fablehaven series to HIS kids when he grows up.

I must say that Brandon Mull evidently has something against contractions. I swear, he never uses them in his writing. So. Ann...more
Terry
Mar 07, 2014 Terry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: Cirdan
This second book in the Fablehaven series is a noticeably better read than the first was. The characters are developing and deepening. The action is more consistently paced and narrated. The villains are more convincingly evil but also more complex. The magic is more complex. And as Seth observes the coolest thing anyone ever saw is the giant, flying, snake-covered, three-headed, acid-breathing panther.
Laurie
Much creepier and faster paced than the first in this series. I read this late into the night (my only free reading time, ever) and kept the lights on.
But I was disappointed in how the characters never seemed to learn or grow. Seth was slightly more cautious, but only because the risk of his immediate death was obvious. We find out that Kendra is extremely powerful from being kissed by the fairies in the first book, which should have led to a major turning point or at least a large part of the...more
07kadenf
Summary: Kendra and Seth's grandparents own a preserve that contains magical creatures. Last year they had to save that perserve. And yet again a new threat has arrived the Society of the evening star. An evil group that wants to find the keys and open Zyzx the demon prison. Will Kendra and Seth find the artifact on the preserve before the society does. Or will the preserve be destroyed.

Why I Rated it 4 stars: I rated four stars because the book had a lot of action and suspense. There is also so...more
Marcus
The more I read this series, the better I like it. At first glance, it appears to be a "Harry Potter" tag along, which, if any book about kids in a magical world fits that category, it is guilty as charged. But, there is some really original creation here, and the two main characters have very distinct, well developed personalities. An added bonus is that they are both very likable characters as well. These books are a lot of fun and are well written. I recommend these books to anyone who likes...more
Rita Webb
Books are more enjoyable when enjoyed with others I've noticed. I read the first book in this series by myself as an audiobook, and then stuck it in the car's CD player as our family took a long trip. The humor and the characters and the dialog grew more special as we shared laughs.

With this second book in the series, I went straight to sharing with my family, and we loved discovering together where the missing artifact is & who the traitor was and watching how Seth and Kendra change and gro...more
Robyn
Southern California Digital Library System

The poor writing quality and lack of character depth leaves me baffled as to why this series is a critical darling.

I was not a big fan of the first book in the series, but the Fablehaven books are so highly lauded that I decided to continue with the second book. I cannot for the life of me understand why these books get so much attention. I'm not blaming young readers, I loved some quite poorly written books when I was young, but professional reviewers...more
Russell
Again, I read this out loud to my kids. Even better than the first, the author's writing has improved, pacing is better, characters are more refined. This one did not disappoint. One of the best things is what appeared to be almost a Deus Ex Machina solution in the first book isn't and it has long reaching consequences. Character development remains a constant part of the series, especially Seth. The book never flagged, and yet he didn't rely on forced cliffhangers to keep us interested.

The auth...more
Leanne
Terrific YA book. I love the deeper issues Mull brings up through his fantasy: power of emotions, questions of trust, foolhardiness vs. bravery. My son Nick (10) is the reason I decided to pick up the series. It also has my nephew Josh's approval--he has good taste--so it came pretty highly recommended. Mull didn't disappoint. It isn't a book I will read again and again, but it is entertaining and a great read for any age of kids.
Skip
Kendra and Seth return to Fablehaven after a nasty monster infiltrates their school, leading to Seth's theft of a frog, which comes to life after being fed, an ambush and a high speed car chase. Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson have enlisted help from the outside to protect the santuary and the artifact hidden there, but one of them is a traitor. Plenty of action, but still falls short of the top fantasy out there.
Ashnie Sukhu
Honestly, if I could rate it more than 5 stars, I would, so many things I didn't expect happened, like who the traitor was. It was AMAZING!! I think Kendra showed more bravery in this book than the first one, and Seth was the same as ever, in a good way. He was still brave and a daredevil. I'm so happy that Warren is better. Man! I'd say this one is better than the first, much more adventure and thrills!! :D
Jen
I love these characters! Who doesn't have a constant struggle between making the right choice (Kendra), and being overly courageous (Seth) at the wrong times?

It was nice to pick up a sequel that actually left off just about where the prior book left off. I'm enjoying the fantasy..unusual for me..and am looking forward to the next book in the series. Might even read the first one aloud for my students.
Better then the first book? 29 46 May 23, 2014 06:08AM
fablehaven 15 54 Apr 24, 2014 09:01PM
Brandon Mull Lovers: warren 2 26 Jul 13, 2013 07:58AM
Does becoming an imp change the fairies gender? 4 27 Apr 06, 2013 12:44PM
Readers Digest: My Book review 10 8 Mar 08, 2012 06:34AM
how was the book 12 31 Dec 05, 2011 06:59PM
  • Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want (Leven Thumps, #3)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
"Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy...more
More about Brandon Mull...
Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1) Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3) Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4) Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5) A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)

“Running toward danger is foolhardy. ... But so is closing your eyes to it. Many perils become less dangerous once you understand their potential hazards.” 124 likes
“Hello," Newel said. "Look, Doren, we have visitors. Kendra, Seth, and ... Muriel's weirdo puppet."....Newel grabbed Seth's hand and shook it vigorously. "Congratulations. You just found yourself a secret entrance."
"So seriously," Doren said. "What's with the puppet?”
107 likes