Bedtime Stories

Bedtime Stories

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  14 reviews
As Scheherazade proved long ago, good stories make the best bedtime entertainment. The tales collected here represent the essence of the storyteller's art, with its ancient roots in fantastical legends and tales told around a fire.
Published March 25th 2011 by Childrens Classics (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime Stories

s.penkevich
Although I have many of these stories in other collections, I still picked this up as there was enough material within that was new to me. Also, Everyman's Library always makes nice hardcover editions and the dust-jacket is quite attractive and the book is bound in a cool light blue color; how could I resist adding this to my library? Here you will find a variety of different stories all offering a glimpse into some dreamy, translucent world. The first story, A.S. Byatt's "The Thing in the Fores...more
Luis
I've just finished this collection of stories and I already feel a good taste in my mouth. Some of them are hard to find in Spanish, that's why I want to tell you about the ones I liked most.

All the stories appearing in this book belong to famous writers, each of them lasting from twenty to forty pages. I do not remember any of them being especially unbearable, so I think that the selection is quite appropriate.

These ones have been my favourites:

- Ursula K. LeGuin's 'The Poacher' was second to n...more
Vanessa
3.5 stars.

Bedtime Stories is not the cosy, tucked up in bed, drifting off to the land of nod type read you might be thinking it is, judging by its title. Nightmare Stories would have been a more appropriate title for some of the eerie, magical and disturbing stories contained within.

I generally struggle with short story collections, particularly when they are written by a variety of authors, as if I'm not particularly enjoying one story, I find it hard to motivate myself to read the next one str...more
Jason
Another excellent collection of short stories from Everyman's Pocket Classics (I previously read their Detective Stories and have on-and-off been reading Ghost Stories and Stories of the Sea).

Don't be mislead by the title, these are not gentle, innocuous stories to put you to bed. Instead, Bedtime Stories weave in and out of dreams, the real, the unreal and the surreal, often with unclear boundaries between them. Some are psychological, some magical, some a combination of both.

The book has a num...more
Juveria
Nesa Sivagnanam
In Bedtime Stories, great writers of the past two centuries explore the boundaries between the real and the unreal, between waking and dreaming. From the surreal night visions of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s “Young Goodman Brown” to the unspeakable horror that haunts two little girls in A. S. Byatt’s “The Thing in the Forest,” from Washington Irving’s comical “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” to Ursula K. LeGuin’s sly perspective on Sleeping Beauty in “The Poacher,” these spellbinding stories transform the...more
Aisah
Apr 24, 2014 Aisah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Judging from the title, it already feels like this book is weaved out of thread harvested from the stars. Can't wait to get my hands on this gem.
A beautiful edition of Everyman's Pocket Classics withlovely stories by a wide range of authors,including H.G.Wells! I Really enjoyed most of them, especially "The Country of the Blind", "The Dragon" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Some were hard to get into and I didn't really enjoy, like "Young Goodman Brown" but overall a very good collection. Probably not suitable for children due to the subject matter of some of the stories. An enjoyable afternoon read :)
Margaret Barnes
This was published for children, but I wouldn't want to read them as a bedtime story to anyone under 26. No they lived happy ever after in this collection. Corruption of children's favourites for adult reading - the interface between dreams and waking, between fantasy and reality.
Beautiful book too in the Everyman Classic series.
Read yourself to sleep with this collection - if you can.
Jody
It's a nice collection of stories. There were definitely some stories that I thought were better than others. My favorite story was The Poacher by Ursula K. LeGuin.
Kim
A volume in the Everyman Pocket Library, Bedtime Stories has short stories that deal with dreams, fairy tales, things that go bump in the night.
Khinna
An amazing collection of stories from various authors. The stories were eerie, haunting, magical, conversing. A book I will refer to often.
Jason Mckinney
A wonderful collection that's full of variety!
Meredith Armstrong
Meredith Armstrong marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Marina
Marina added it
Aug 05, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Niamh Walsh
Niamh Walsh marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Chris Haggqvist
Chris Haggqvist marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Cougar65 Harrington
Cougar65 Harrington marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ethan I. Solomon
Ethan I. Solomon marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
V
V added it
Jun 30, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014