Making the Cat Laugh

Making the Cat Laugh

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  21 reviews
One woman's journal of single life on the margins.A brilliant collection of Lynne Truss’ journalism – recording the life of a metropolitan refugee from coupledom. The alternative ‘Bridget Jones’.For seven long years, starting in ‘The Listener’ in 1988 and continuing in ‘The Times’ and ‘Woman's Journal’, Lynne Truss has been trying to make her cat laugh. It has been an uphi...more
Published June 16th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1995)

Adrienne
This book was a collection of newspaper columns that were written by Lynne Truss (author of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves) and originally published through The Listener, The Times, and Woman's Journal. It is devoted to commentary on the single life, the behavioral oddities of cats, and general neuroticism pertaining to society, and I found it quite entertaining. I enjoyed the audiobook on my commute and would recommend it for a free time read.
pinknantucket
Lynn Truss rose to fame with her book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves", about grammar, and it seems pretty certain this book has been published to cash in on her current popularity. This book is a collection of columns Truss wrote for The Listener, The Times and Woman’s Journal, from the perspective of a single woman with cats, and about topics that concern a single woman with cats who is very fond of grammar (and male tennis players).

I kind of read this book out of spite for all the people that have r...more
AJ

Audiobook.

I liked Eats Shoots and Leaves, and not just because I enjoy language, grammar, and punctuation. I liked the humor as well. So, I saw this dual audiobook at the library and decided to give it a go (it was put on one audiobook with Talk to the Hand, which I just reviewed).

This was a series of newspaper columns that the author wrote about being single. I am not sure when it was written, but I think it was in the early 90s (definitely before Princess Diana died, since she talks about her...more
Adele Wharton
A great light read, very entertaining and at times laugh-out-loud funny, largely because it is so instantly relatable! This is the first of this author's books I have read after they were recommended to me, and it won't be the last.
Samira
I am listening to this as a book on CD. My computer has broken and so I have spent a huge amount of time driving around getting it fixed and generally acting like someone who lives in Atlanta. The answer--books on CD. I am really enjoying Lynn Truss. The book is on couldn't finish, though, because the CD was damaged and skipped a huge amount.
Emily
An enjoyable collection of short articles about everything from cats to weird compulsive disorders... Truss creates a conversational atmosphere that is inviting. A very funny assortment of personal stories, philosophical discussions and relatable moments. A great, if unorganised and muddled, book that is warm, hilarious and quirky!
Connie Pollock
It just seemed like someone with ADD wrote this - couldn't follow any of her thoughts. Read the book Eats, Shoots and Leaves about punctuation awhile back and loved it, even met the author at a book reading. Won't stop me from reading other books by this author, but this book wasn't for me.
Cupcakencorset
This book is a collection of some of the best of Truss’ humor columns. I found them even funnier than her short novels (see 70, 72 and 73 above). All 4 of these works came in an omnibus, “The Lynne Truss Treasury,” an apt name if ever there was one. Highly recommended.
JackieB
This made me laugh but I got a bit frustrated at the shortness of the articles because I felt she was often just getting started when thearticle came to an end. I am definitely going to try her novels. I think they will be brilliant.
Alison
This a compilation of previously published newspaper articles about a single woman with cats as house guests. I really enjoyed this book! Some of the articles were so funny that I laughed out loud! A good choice as a cheap Kindle choice!
Angela
Mar 26, 2008 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone needing an undemanding, amusing read.
Lynne Truss pre-'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' - a collection of her newspaper columns which was a godsend when I was too groggy with some virus or other to concentrate on anything demanding. A read-once-and-pass-on book, but no worse for that.
Philip Whiteland
A series of amusing articles from someone who clearly knows their craft. If you like cats, you'll like this, but you'll probably find it fun even if you don't!
Dominique Schoon Krog

Brilliant! Would have given it a five if I understood all the references. If I lived in the UK, I imagine I would have died laughing. Love her!
Kate Millin
An amusing collection of newspaper articles which made me laugh out loud a few times( and, sadly, see myself a little too clearly)
Elizabeth
Some of the articles did seem rather dated now, but on the whole quite a likeable and funny book.
Sandy
I don't know how much the cat laughed, but I laughed out loud throughout. Fun book!
Selina Jones
Some very good bits, some not quite so funny, the last one really really made me smile!
Oceana2602
Completely unremarkable book that was part of a package of books I bought on ebay.
Thom
Jul 06, 2012 Thom marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A collection of columns, apparently. Not that funny/interesting/compelling.
Jacqueline
does nothing for me - not going to finish it. off to the good-will.
Emma Topp
Really made me laugh and reminded me of how I act with my cats!
Margaret
made me chuckle, but took some getting into.
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Leny
Leny is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Lynne Truss is a writer and journalist who started out as a literary editor with a blue pencil and then got sidetracked. The author of three novels and numerous radio comedy dramas, she spent six years as the television critic of The Times of London, followed by four (rather peculiar) years as a sports columnist for the same newspaper. She won Columnist of the Year for her work for Women's Journal...more
More about Lynne Truss...
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage without Apostrophes! Eats, Shoots and Leaves 2007

“No valentines from the cats again.” 4 likes