Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)

Sword-Born (Tiger and Del #5)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,668 ratings  ·  25 reviews
TIGER

Left as an infant to die in the desert, and enslaved by the Southron tribe who found him, he had won his freedom and his name by slaying a deadly sandtiger. Now he was a legendary sword-dancer--possibly the best in the South. But his true origins were still unknown.

DEL

Born in the frozen North, she had seen her family brutally murdered and her youngest brother carried...more
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published March 1999 by DAW Books

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinHoles by Louis SacharThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverAbout a Boy by Nick Hornby
Best Books of 1998
112th out of 192 books — 84 voters
The Girl Who Remembered Horses by Linda  BensonGreen Rider by Kristen BritainThe Scorpio Races by Maggie StiefvaterThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Fantasy Books Featuring Horses
100th out of 101 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Damian
Just as a note, this is one of the first series I've read as a child, and they hold a special place in my heart, so I can't objectively rate them. I've reread the series as an adult and still enjoy them, however.
Rachael
I thought maybe rereading this book with a close attention to detail would help me like it more. It didn't. I love her other books and the first half of this one is pretty good. But the second half is so confusing and odd that I just don't get it. It just isn't very well written.

I think the problem with this series is that she never define what her magic can and cannot do. This is a common problem for a lot of fantasy books though.
Cathy
Continuing my re-reading of the series in 2013 to get to the new novel, I found this one still fun, but quite wordy. It just needed to be edited down a bit, many sections were very repetitive, especially the debates about gender equality although I'm all for the spirit of them, and there wasn't much action. I don't want to change my initial rating to a three star, but if I were to rate it now I might, it's on the cusp.
Dana
This is my least favorite book in the Tiger and Del series. I liked the beginning with the pirates and that Tiger and Del didn’t spend the whole book bickering for a change. However, the middle of the book dragged and the end had too much nonsensical mystical BS for me. I am so ready for this series to end.
Jeanne
I do enjoy reading about Del and Tiger. I think though this series lost its excitement and adventure towards these last two books. What did keep me interested was the conversations between Del and Tiger, that kept me entertained and kept me laughing.
Susan
The book was as good as the rest of the Tiger & Del books, but the fact that the publisher actually EDITED the cover art because Del was showing too much cleavage... stupid people.

Richard Houchin
The Sword-Dancer series never impressed me as much as the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. It just doesn't seem to have the same depth or social relevance. But the Sword-Dancer books are solid fantasy with talking, uppity swords, so it's all good!
Su
I enjoy this series - The Novels of Tiger and Del. I didn't finish reading this volume this time around (I've read it twice, already) only because I was hungry for something else. I'll get back to it, I hate leaving books unread - even un-re-read.
Anderson County Library
Swords,magic,love and betrayal conspire to make this a great read. Tiger and Del attempt to find Tigers Ancestery. The trial and tribulations they face, threaten to separate them forever. Read this to see how Love (and a little magic) conquers all!
Sasha
Not the best of the series, but does a lot of interesting stuff with gender/sexuality dynamics/identity, so I enjoyed that. It's also really nice to see a stable, committed, happy couple without much interpersonal drama.
Welwyn Katz
I have the same feelings about all the Tiger and Del books and so I will use the same review for them all:
Please look for my review of Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del #1) to see why I liked these books so much.
Michael
It has been over 15 years since I had read a book from this series. It was nice to come back to. It was a good read, though a little slow at times, when it kept rehashing the same things over and over.
Sorensenjp
great book to read for fun, I love how strong the woman character in this book is and how well the male character balances her out, great perspective on a cool relationship wrapped in a really great series
Robyn S.
Jul 06, 2011 Robyn S. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Robyn by: My dad
Another captivating story from the Tales of Tiger and Del. It kept me hooked from the instant I opened the cover and kept me wanting to know what happened until the last page.
Kristin
Unlike some fantasy authors, Jennifer Goodwin's tales get better with each book and with age. Del and Tiger make for some amazing book crack.
Tammy Pohle
Too many political issues in the book, took away from the story. But I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the others.
Steve
this is a great read, and a great series... starts to streatch a little after book 6 but still worth the time.
h
Kind of too many "lead" characters in this one. Well done, though, a fine and thrilling continuation of the series.
Samuel
Not as good as the previous, but some interesting outcomes throughout the book and in the end...
Allison
These are all great, mystical Celtic & the bond..romance of course is in there also..
Theresa
learning to be yourself, and love who you love no mater about the events in your life
Sword-Born: A Novel of Tiger and Del (The Sword-Dancer Saga) by Jennifer Roberson (1999)
Sandra
Finally finished! Imaginative and witty but it didn't really engage me.
Alex
I dare you not to love these characters. Amazing story.
Cassie White
Originally read in 1999.
Jody Mena
Beautiful and compelling!
Erica
A very satisfying ending.
Amy Gordon
Amy Gordon marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • Paragon Lost (King's Blades, #4)
  • The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2) (The Dragon Mage, #5)
  • Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
  • Oathbreakers (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #2)
  • The Legend of Nightfall (Nightfall, #1)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • The First Betrayal (The Chronicles of Josan, #1)
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
  • Traitor to the Blood (Noble Dead: Series 1, #4)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • The River Wall (Gandalara Cycle, #7)
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...
Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1) Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2) Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1) Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4) Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)