Start by marking “Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)

Sword-Born (Tiger and Del #5)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,159 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
TIGER

Left as an infant to die in the desert, and enslaved by the Southron tribe who found him, he had won his freedom and his name by slaying a deadly sandtiger. Now he was a legendary sword-dancer--possibly the best in the South. But his true origins were still unknown.

DEL

Born in the frozen North, she had seen her family brutally murdered and her youngest brother carried
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published March 1999 by DAW Books (first published April 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sword-Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword-Born

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisGreen Rider by Kristen BritainThe Scorpio Races by Maggie StiefvaterThe Girl Who Remembered Horses by Linda  BensonThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Fantasy Books Featuring Horses
67th out of 128 books — 117 voters
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinHoles by Louis SacharThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverAbout a Boy by Nick Hornby
Best Books of 1998
128th out of 215 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Kara
Nov 13, 2014 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Its best described as Anastasia meets Black Sails.

So, Tiger and Del have completed all their quests, vanquished Evil, defeated Big Bads, etc – they just maybe slightly bent all their rules and honor codes so far along the way that they’ve gotten themselves banished from both North and South.

What now? Why, go West, young man, go West!

Based on a theory that Tiger might be related to the people from a western island nation, Tiger and Del, lacking anything better to do, and needing a break from all
Arminion
Dec 28, 2014 Arminion rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
Everything comes to an end. So does my reading of Tiger and Del's adventures. That is a shame, as I really enjoyed this saga, but as I said, everything comes to an end.
I don't know if it's because of the story, or if I'm just bored of these characters but I couldn't finish this book, and I really wanted to. I read about 50% of it and I just couldn't keep going.
The previous book was a little lackluster (I gave it 3 stars), but it was still enjoyable, so I expected that Roberson will at least pick
Cathy
May 04, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Continuing my re-reading of the series in 2013 to get to the new novel, I found this one still fun, but quite wordy. It just needed to be edited down a bit, many sections were very repetitive, especially the debates about gender equality although I'm all for the spirit of them, and there wasn't much action. I don't want to change my initial rating to a three star, but if I were to rate it now I might, it's on the cusp.
Feb 09, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I loooved how far these two have come together and was thrilled to see more emotion from Del. It definitely made sense for her to be cold in the first few books, but to see how far she's come now all because of Tiger's love is truly amazing.

The story however was a bit repetitive in parts and I certainly didn't like seeing Tiger down..although you can never count him out. Things have a way of coming together nicely though and working out, but I don't like this business about him having 10 more y
Damian
Jun 08, 2014 Damian rated it really liked it
Just as a note, this is one of the first series I've read as a child, and they hold a special place in my heart, so I can't objectively rate them. I've reread the series as an adult and still enjoy them, however.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, owned
Tiger and Del, fantasy, this is a good read. it is listed as Young Adult, but I think it is a good book for adults who enjoy fantasy.
Norma
Jun 06, 2015 Norma rated it liked it
More magic, less sword. Kinda slow in places but it left me wanting to know where the next book will take the story.
Rachael
May 06, 2014 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thought maybe rereading this book with a close attention to detail would help me like it more. It didn't. I love her other books and the first half of this one is pretty good. But the second half is so confusing and odd that I just don't get it. It just isn't very well written.

I think the problem with this series is that she never define what her magic can and cannot do. This is a common problem for a lot of fantasy books though.
Dana
Feb 02, 2011 Dana rated it it was ok
This is my least favorite book in the Tiger and Del series. I liked the beginning with the pirates and that Tiger and Del didn’t spend the whole book bickering for a change. However, the middle of the book dragged and the end had too much nonsensical mystical BS for me. I am so ready for this series to end.
Jeanne
Jul 10, 2011 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I do enjoy reading about Del and Tiger. I think though this series lost its excitement and adventure towards these last two books. What did keep me interested was the conversations between Del and Tiger, that kept me entertained and kept me laughing.
Susan
Apr 29, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
The book was as good as the rest of the Tiger & Del books, but the fact that the publisher actually EDITED the cover art because Del was showing too much cleavage... stupid people.

Richard Houchin
Jun 08, 2008 Richard Houchin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Sword-Dancer series never impressed me as much as the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. It just doesn't seem to have the same depth or social relevance. But the Sword-Dancer books are solid fantasy with talking, uppity swords, so it's all good!
Su
Apr 09, 2012 Su rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series - The Novels of Tiger and Del. I didn't finish reading this volume this time around (I've read it twice, already) only because I was hungry for something else. I'll get back to it, I hate leaving books unread - even un-re-read.
Sasha
May 01, 2012 Sasha rated it liked it
Not the best of the series, but does a lot of interesting stuff with gender/sexuality dynamics/identity, so I enjoyed that. It's also really nice to see a stable, committed, happy couple without much interpersonal drama.
Welwyn Katz
Oct 24, 2010 Welwyn Katz rated it really liked it
I have the same feelings about all the Tiger and Del books and so I will use the same review for them all:
Please look for my review of Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del #1) to see why I liked these books so much.
Michael
Oct 14, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
It has been over 15 years since I had read a book from this series. It was nice to come back to. It was a good read, though a little slow at times, when it kept rehashing the same things over and over.
Sorensenjp
Feb 24, 2008 Sorensenjp rated it it was amazing
great book to read for fun, I love how strong the woman character in this book is and how well the male character balances her out, great perspective on a cool relationship wrapped in a really great series
Robyn S.
Jul 06, 2011 Robyn S. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Robyn by: My dad
Shelves: favorites
Another captivating story from the Tales of Tiger and Del. It kept me hooked from the instant I opened the cover and kept me wanting to know what happened until the last page.
Kristin
Feb 20, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
Unlike some fantasy authors, Jennifer Goodwin's tales get better with each book and with age. Del and Tiger make for some amazing book crack.
Tammy Pohle
Feb 02, 2010 Tammy Pohle rated it liked it
Too many political issues in the book, took away from the story. But I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the others.
Steve
Jul 31, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantsy
this is a great read, and a great series... starts to streatch a little after book 6 but still worth the time.
h
Oct 09, 2013 h rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reread, sff, 2013
Kind of too many "lead" characters in this one. Well done, though, a fine and thrilling continuation of the series.
Samuel
Mar 20, 2008 Samuel rated it liked it
Not as good as the previous, but some interesting outcomes throughout the book and in the end...
Allison
Nov 09, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are all great, mystical Celtic & the bond..romance of course is in there also..
Theresa
Jan 07, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
learning to be yourself, and love who you love no mater about the events in your life
Apr 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sword-Born: A Novel of Tiger and Del (The Sword-Dancer Saga) by Jennifer Roberson (1999)
Sandra
Feb 25, 2013 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
Finally finished! Imaginative and witty but it didn't really engage me.
Alex
Apr 27, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I dare you not to love these characters. Amazing story.
Cassie White
Jun 05, 2014 Cassie White rated it it was amazing
Originally read in 1999.
Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Beautiful and compelling!
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • Intrigues (The Blending Enthroned, #1)
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • Traitor to the Blood (Noble Dead: Series 1, #4)
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • The Legend of Nightfall (Nightfall, #1)
  • The River Wall (Gandalara Cycle, #7)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles ...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...

Tiger and Del (7 books)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • Sword-Bound (Tiger & Del, #7)