Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World

Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Once you are aware of the wonder and beauty of earth, you will want to learn about it," wrote Carson, the pioneering environmentalist and author of "Silent Spring," the book that woke people up to the harmful impact humans are having on the planet. Illustrations.
Published February 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World

Gail Gauthier
"The first thing that struck me about this book is that very early on we hear that Rachel as a child explored the outdoors by herself and had a mother who had an interest in nature. This child got her start without any formal environmental instruction, such as we would want for children these days, and, yet, she turned into Rachel Carson.

Another thing I liked about this book, and, yes, this is just me, is that it describes a woman's story. Carson as a young woman had needy family to deal with. A...more
Angela
A wonderful and important picture book biography of an overlooked female scientist, writer, environmentalist and heroine. Recommended for everyone.
Yundehap
I like this lovely book very much.
I didn't know Rachel Carson until I read this book. I love this biographical book very much. The information is simple but complete. The illustrations are wonderful.

This book encourages us to start pay attention about nature and our environment. As she scribbled in her journal: "Once you are aware of the wonder and beauty of the earth, you will want to learn about it."

I would recommend my nephews and nieces to read this book to expand their knowledge.

Tasha
This is a biographical picture book about the environmentalist Rachel Carson. The book covers her childhood, which she spent outside in her family’s woods, orchards and fields. Her mother loved nature and passed her passion on to her daughter. Though times were tough and her father struggled to make enough money to support the family, Rachel was able to attend Pennsylvania College for Women in Pittsburgh. It was during this time that she started to be concerned about the environment. Rachel deci...more
Bethany Bennett
I hate biology but this book actually got me to be interested. This is a great story of how even though you get rejected once or twice or things like that, it doesn't mean you should give up. You just have to keep trying to get your views heard and get your thoughts put out there. This book is really quite inspirational and I really thinks kids will love it. Maybe girls more than boys
Cheryl
I love this book. I wish I had written, and illustrated it. It made me go read Silent Spring, but that was quite a bit less interesting to me, and I didn't make it all the way through. (a lot of it sounded like "old news," although it's shocking that we still haven't "gotten" the message!!!!)

A lovely story.
Kim
Grades 2-5

This picture book biography provides an accessible and comprehensive look at the life of Rachel Carson and her work as a biologist and environmentalist. While the main story ends with her death at age 56 soon after the publication of "Silent Spring," an epilogue goes into detail about the battle that took place after the book's publication, and the slow recognition by America and other countries that what we do to the world around us has a profound impact on animal and plant life. Whi...more
Naomi
An introduction to the life of Rachel Carson which gives the background of a strong female scientist when they weren't welcome. Loved the lessons on overcoming adversity, pursuing one's passion and never giving up. Don't miss the bio at the end.
Danielle
Very well written biography of a historical scientific figure that doesn't always make the history books. The author respectfully treats Carson's story, and talks of environmental threats in terms understandable to children.
KimBear
"Once you are aware of the wonder and beauty of the earth, you will want to learn about it," wrote Rachel Carson, the pioneering environmentalist. Rachel found many adventurous ways to study nature. She went diving to investigate coral reefs and tracked alligators on a rumbling "glades buggy" through the Florida Everglades. However, one of the bravest things she did was to write and publish Silent Spring, a book pointing out the dangerous effects of chemicals on the living world. Powerful men tr...more
Sarah Herrington
It's got a ton of good information, but I found it a little tedious and the writing not as compelling as I wished it had been. It's such a great story, though!
Becky
A wonderful picture book biography about Rachel Carson.
Christina
Nice look at the life and work of Rachel Carson, the pioneering environmentalist and author of Silent Spring. She became a biologist at a time when very few women did so. The book chronicles her hard work to become published, and to raise awareness of chemical pollution and environmental issues. Excellent list of source notes in the back, an epilogue telling what happened after Carson's death and the publication of this groundbreaking book. I felt the illustrations of this picture book are so-so...more
Chris
In this picture book biography of the life of Sylvia Earle, the author carefully tells a story of a young girl who was enamored with the diversity of life around her. From her early days in New Jersey to her later life in Florida, where she fell in love with the sea, Sylvia Earle was interested in the life she found and studied. This story tells the story of how Ms. Earle became a very important oceanographer with groundbreaking research and personal experiences with the sea and its inhabitants....more
Elaine Bearden
gr.2-5
picture book format. This is a really powerful story. The telling at the beginning seems to jump around a bit. Then it is more chronological. I'm not sure the text is anything special, but it is not lifeless either. Kids may be interested in this story of a woman who started writing stories as a child and loved to lift rocks and look underneath. The illustrations help to tell the story as well. The story kind of feels like Miss Rumphius. Would be neat to share with a class.
Peacegal
Budding naturalists will be enchanted by this book. Carson's story is an inspiring one about sticking up for what one believes in and persevering despite enormous odds.

The section at the book's conclusion, which details the chemical lobby's fight to censor and belittle what Carson had to say in her famed book Silent Spring, is both gripping and familiar-sounding in this new millenium.

This book would be a wonderful choice for a humane education or ecology unit.
The Styling Librarian
Rachel Carson and Her Book that Changed the World by Laurie Lawlor, illustrated by Laura Beingessner - How inspiring is Rachel Carson! I just loved reading more about this woman since in my old school district there is a school specifically designed and named after her passion. This is a well done, informative book telling how people handled and respected/didn't respect her research and focus on having a healthy environment and protecting the earth from poisonous toxins...
Liz Benitez
Interest Level 2-5

This book is about Rachel Carson and how she became a environmentalist. We learn about her childhood, teen years and adulthood. During the Great Depression she tried to help her family financially even thought, there weren't many jobs for her. This is good book to make children aware of the environment and what we can do to help. Also, the teacher can bring up Racher Carson's contribution of her book that impacted and started new policies.
Sandy Brehl
It will be hard for young readers to imagine a time (not so long ago) when words like environment, pollution, extinction, endangered species, etc. were unfamiliar and misunderstood. Rachel Carson's lifetime commitment to the study of the planet and the effects of chemical and other pollutants on it literally changed the world. Very accessible text, informative illustrations, and detailed back matter make this a terrific research tool.
Kathleen
A beautiful book on one of the earliest environmental advocates. Probably a book that's best suited to older kids just finishing their reading of picture books. The vocabulary is advanced and some of the issues discussed probably wouldn't be understandable to younger ones on their own.
The book is well written, beautifully illustrated, and even includes extensive endnotes and suggested reading (for adults).
Leslie
A picture book biography of early environmentalist Carson. An Epilogue, Source Notes and further reading included. I think this book tried to cover too much of Carson's life. The best picture book biographies cover a small snippet of the subject's life and encourage the reader to find out more by including an excellent bibliography and author notes.
Marcia
Jan 13, 2013 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Emily
A lovely picture book biography of Rachel Carson and how she came to write Silent Spring.
Always in need of books about women scientists, and those who fought through adverse conditions to make a difference in the world. The illustrations are softly painted and add a gentle tone to the story of the quiet woman who started the ecology movement.
Shannon
Absolutely stuffed with great information. Might have been too much information for a first introduction to Carson's work, but we read a few Rachel Carson biographies before this one, and it filled in all the missing pieces nicely.
Tracy
I have always admired Rachel Carson and her book Silent Spring. This biography gives an overview of how difficult and short her life was. There is an excellent bibliography in the end, for a more extensive look at her life.
Nicole
Another gem of a book that is perfect for Stories Alive! The book starts in 1922, covers the Great Depression, WWII and beyond! Tons of extension activities could be done after reading too about history and science.
Jean-Marie
An inspiring book about the woman scientist who started the movement against harmful pesticides when her book "Silent Spring" was published in 1962. A great read for Earth Day and Women's History month.
Bethe
Soft watercolor illustrations complement this biography about a little known (to me at least) environmentalist. Great back matter features an extensive source list.
Kaylee
It was awesome. best book ever! who in the world could come up with a better book than Rachel Carson and her book that changed the world.
Linda Atkinson
An amazing book celebrating the 50th anniversary of another outstanding book by an amazing woman.
Eriko
Jan 25, 2013 Eriko rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids interested in science and protecting the environment
Read to child at bedtime; has sweet illustrations which my child loved.
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell
  • Annie and Helen
  • Papa Is a Poet: A Story About Robert Frost
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
Laurie Lawlor grew up in a family enamored with the theater. Along with her five brothers and sisters she spent summers in a summer stock repertory company in a small mountain town in Colorado that was run by their mother (costumer, cook, accountant, and resident psychiatrist) and their father (artistic director).
More about Laurie Lawlor...
Addie Across the Prairie Helen Keller: Rebellious Spirit A Titanic Journey Across the Sea, 1912 (American Sisters, #9) Muddy as a Duck Puddle and Other American Similes Exploring the Chicago World's Fair, 1893 (American Sisters, #7)