Start by marking “Shot to Death: Thirty One Tales of Murder & Mayhem” as Want to Read:
Shot to Death: Thirty One Tales of Murder & Mayhem

Shot to Death: Thirty One Tales of Murder & Mayhem

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Like a 31-bullet magazine, Shot to Death delivers a major dose of murder and mayhem. The work of short story author Stephen D. Rogers has graced over two hundred publications. Here, collected for the first time, are 31 of his stories of murder and mayhem, strewn across the back alleys and back yards of New England. Let this veteran writer lead you through the darkness to s ...more
Published September 7th 2011 by Untreed Reads (first published February 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shot to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shot to Death

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Wow! I won this through the first reads giveaway program! There were only 3 copies available and over 1200 entries. I really lucked out :-) Thirty-one short mysteries, 257 pages, plenty of twists. Easy to read, entertaining stories that make you think - best to read no more than 2 in one sitting :-)

My favorite stories in this collection are (in order of appearance in the book):

The Big Store
A Dog Named Mule
Fill It with the Cheapest
Pipe
Steve
This book is a great "How-to" on the short story. Rogers uses several different tones and types of characters, and the stories run the whole gamut from noir and hard-boiled to semi-literary. Most of them have understated irony and/or dark humor.

The longest story is about 25 pages, but most of them run the 8 to 10 page range, so this is a good book to keep in your pocket or purse when you're stuck waiting and don't want to get involved in a longer work.

Even when the story has an ambiguous ending
Ashley
This book was ok. I don't know if I would call all of these short stories "mysteries." A lot of them were more like the stories we read in school when learning the definition of irony (but the target audience for this book is much older than 7th graders). I enjoyed most of the stories, although some I didn't really get. Pretty good nonetheless.
Suzanne Young
This is a good book to pick up when you want to read a short story. You'll find yourself shaking your head at times over the follies of man and chuckling at the humor. The author is right to advise not to read this in one or two sittings, but to read one or two stories at a time and then sit back and think about it/them.
Stephen Rogers
Mar 09, 2010 Stephen Rogers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Short stories leave out the fat that so many novels leave in.
Teneka
Good book. I enjoyed the mixture and the writing.
Sherry
Sherry added it
Dec 23, 2013
Liu
Liu marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2012
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2012
Stephanie Cook
Stephanie Cook marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2011
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2011
Connie Harrison
Connie Harrison marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2010
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2010
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 16, 2010
Linda Miller
Linda Miller marked it as to-read
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith marked it as to-read
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Amber Mancebo
Amber Mancebo marked it as to-read
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
May 07, 2010
Barry Mortzfield
Barry Mortzfield marked it as to-read
May 07, 2010
Debi Sullivan
Debi Sullivan marked it as to-read
May 06, 2010
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
May 06, 2010
Aaron Burgess
Aaron Burgess marked it as to-read
May 05, 2010
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 05, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen is the author of THREE-MINUTE MYSTERIES, SHOT TO DEATH, and more than 700 shorter pieces. Visit his website, www.stephendrogers.com, for a list of new and upcoming titles as well as other timely information.
More about Stephen D. Rogers...
A Dictionary of Made-Up Languages: From Adunaic to Elvish, Zaum to Klingon -- The Anwa (Real) Origins of Invented Lexicons My First Year in the Classroom: 50 Stories That Celebrate the Good, the Bad, and the Most Unforgettable Moments Three-Minute Mysteries Three-Minute Mysteries 2 Three-Minute Mysteries 3