An Angel for the Earl

An Angel for the Earl

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Lucinda's life was tragically cut short in a most scandalous manner, and her only means of entering Heaven lies in saving Lord Stanford from Hell. Perhaps while guiding the notorious rake onto a virtuous path, she can show him how true love will save his immortal soul...
Published August 19th 2011 by Untreed Reads (first published January 31st 1994)

Mary Chen *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
This is one of the finest traditional regencies I've read.

From the start, we're introduced to the unloved daughter of a rich knight, Lucinda Faire, as she is tricked on an elopement with an unsavory character (who already has a wife!). Lucy realizes the error of this soon enough, and accidentally kills her eloped while trying to resist his advances. So in the haste or coming back home, Lucy had an accident and fell into a coma, to which the judges Above give her a choice - get Kieran Somerfield,...more
skein
4/19 - 4/20

Pretty dull (Metzger is always character-driven and more interested in delicate flirtation than rambunctious sexytimes -- unlikely traits for a romance novelist) -- but oh so charming.

And she is always on the side of the downtrodden -- women, prostitutes, the poor. In one scene the hero is entreated to help the whores out of a shitty situation (at best, a nasty bit of coercion -- maybe outright sex-slavery). Give them gold if you like, but a better solution is to change the things tha...more
Jayne
Loved it! girl in a coma and her spirit reforms a rake.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Many thanks to Untreed Reads for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Lucinda is a plain and chubby heiress. Severely sheltered from the world she believes the handsome and dashing Captain Anders when he says he loves her and convinces her to elope to Gretna Green. Unfortunately for Lucinda, she’s been hoodwinked in the worst way. In a struggle to defend herself from his now unwanted advances at an inn along the way, she unintentionally kills him. Compromised a...more
Annette
Lucy thought she would escape from her miserable father by eloping with a young soldier. The soldier turned out to be a cad, Lucy is exposed to very bad weather and becomes very ill. Her father had never cared for her, so letting her die is a great idea as far as he was concerned.

Kerry is a wastrel. He has spent money as though he actually had money. Kerry is not a nice man at all. Wine, women, gambling and giving not a care for others has been his way of life.

That is until an angel (Lucy) comes...more
Elen
So, another adorable book from Ms.Metzger. Humorous and heartwarming, well written. But now I'm finding out, after three novels from her, she really needs to distribute more time fleshing out hero/heroine. The focus is always on one side, and this time we don't learn much about Lucy except that she's a soul wronged and is always looking out for weaker ones(a common trait found among Metzger's heroines. They seem bent on establishing schools in their estates). So the story was mostly about how th...more
Evonne
A sweet Regency story with a different twist. I thought the ending was very touching!
Δέσποινα
One of the best book I have ever read!!!

The story is about a young girl tricked into an elopement with the wrong man. When she tries to go back home she has an accident that almost had her killed. Fate has her trapped between dead and alive and the only way for her to go to heaven is if she reform the rake earl of Stanford!

This story is so sweet and the relationship of Kieren and Lucy is so unique, I just love them. I found my self laughing in many occasions and I never want to read the last pag...more
Carole Roman
This book was a total surprise. Kerry and Lucinda are two unlikely lovers. Send by the powers that be, they have to save each other. Lucinda is in limbo, almost dead, and given a chance to repair her tarnished soul by saving another sinner. Kerry, a rake, has no intention of repairing his image or his soul. Respect and friendship bloom and built into a wonderful realization that love follows. A great book that brings a tear to my eyes when I read it.
Lou
Lovely light-hearted fluff with a slightly unusual angle in that the heroine is in a coma / almost-ghost-state for the majority of the book. Her mission, should she choose to accept it, is to reform the hero's lifestyle. Fun and games ensues!

I enjoyed this one, and it was a definite change from the more usual Regency formula.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
I heard good things from somewhere (can't remember where) about this author, so I thought I'd try her out and this was one book that the library carried that sounded like it had an okay plot. The story was good, but it was too risque for me - too much sexual innuendo.
Darlene
This is an awesome book ... It takes you in a 3 demon. place . You are drawn in by an angel that is actually not there but is there- You really muct read this book!!! You wont believe the ending !!
Jenna
Cute story and I always like the little bit of supernatural that is in most of Ms. Metzger's books.
Jessica
Very cute. I'm not sure why her soul is in jeopardy though.
Bellatica

Lovely romantic book.
Deb Marlowe
A light, lovely story--an old favorite!
Jessica
nice story and awesome ending
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
namericanwordcat
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance...more
More about Barbara Metzger...
Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance) The Bargain Bride Ace of Hearts (House of Cards #1) Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance) A Worthy Wife