Start by marking “An Angel for the Earl” as Want to Read:
An Angel for the Earl

An Angel for the Earl

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Lucinda's life was tragically cut short in a most scandalous manner, and her only means of entering Heaven lies in saving Lord Stanford from Hell. Perhaps while guiding the notorious rake onto a virtuous path, she can show him how true love will save his immortal soul...
Published August 19th 2011 by Untreed Reads (first published January 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about An Angel for the Earl, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Linda
Frumpy, plump and plain-in-appearance: that was Miss Lucinda Faire when she died after an aborted attempt at elopement. Before all this happened, she was one of Derby's most important heiresses. She had thought she had finally found someone to love her.

It was a lie.

Kieren Somerfield was the Earl of Stanford. He was also poor as a church mouse and a gambler. A cad. A stinker. A good-for-nothing. Or, in his mother's own words: a "gudgeon, popinjay and wastrel". He never knew it was going to be so
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
This is one of the finest traditional regencies I've read.

From the start, we're introduced to the unloved daughter of a rich knight, Lucinda Faire, as she is tricked on an elopement with an unsavory character (who already has a wife!). Lucy realizes the error of this soon enough, and accidentally kills her eloped while trying to resist his advances. So in the haste or coming back home, Lucy had an accident and fell into a coma, to which the judges Above give her a choice - get Kieran Somerfield,
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Many thanks to Untreed Reads for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Lucinda is a plain and chubby heiress. Severely sheltered from the world she believes the handsome and dashing Captain Anders when he says he loves her and convinces her to elope to Gretna Green. Unfortunately for Lucinda, she’s been hoodwinked in the worst way. In a struggle to defend herself from his now unwanted advances at an inn along the way, she unintentionally kills him. Compromised a
skein
4/19 - 4/20

Pretty dull (Metzger is always character-driven and more interested in delicate flirtation than rambunctious sexytimes -- unlikely traits for a romance novelist) -- but oh so charming.

And she is always on the side of the downtrodden -- women, prostitutes, the poor. In one scene the hero is entreated to help the whores out of a shitty situation (at best, a nasty bit of coercion -- maybe outright sex-slavery). Give them gold if you like, but a better solution is to change the things tha
Jayne
Dec 03, 2011 Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! girl in a coma and her spirit reforms a rake.
Anneceleste
The heroine is in a coma but her spirit helps the hero to change himself and everything around him in a very sweet and funny way. There are no Metzger's villains and everything ends well.
Annette
May 23, 2014 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy thought she would escape from her miserable father by eloping with a young soldier. The soldier turned out to be a cad, Lucy is exposed to very bad weather and becomes very ill. Her father had never cared for her, so letting her die is a great idea as far as he was concerned.

Kerry is a wastrel. He has spent money as though he actually had money. Kerry is not a nice man at all. Wine, women, gambling and giving not a care for others has been his way of life.

That is until an angel (Lucy) comes
Elen
May 22, 2014 Elen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, another adorable book from Ms.Metzger. Humorous and heartwarming, well written. But now I'm finding out, after three novels from her, she really needs to distribute more time fleshing out hero/heroine. The focus is always on one side, and this time we don't learn much about Lucy except that she's a soul wronged and is always looking out for weaker ones(a common trait found among Metzger's heroines. They seem bent on establishing schools in their estates). So the story was mostly about how th ...more
Evonne
Dec 02, 2011 Evonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet Regency story with a different twist. I thought the ending was very touching!
Sonja
May 24, 2016 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter had me wondering if this book was for me, but I'm so glad I pushed through. The salvation of the Earl has a great balance of humor and morality.
Bebe Four
A fast-paced, imaginative and entertaining story. Even though one of the characters was a "ghost", it's more traditional romance than paranormal.
Christopher
Dec 04, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very heartwarming story, at times funny too. But there are a good deal more bittersweet aspects to the story than I remembered.
Mary
Dec 19, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different twist on a familiar tale. I enjoyed the interplay between Kerry and Lucy amd was definitely cheering for them to the end.
Δέσποινα
May 29, 2016 Δέσποινα rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-era
One of the best books I have ever read!!!

The story is about a young girl tricked into an elopement with the wrong man. When she tries to go back home she has an accident that almost had her killed. Fate has her trapped between dead and alive and the only way for her to go to heaven is if she reform the rake earl of Stanford!

This story is so sweet and the relationship of Kieren and Lucy is so unique, I just love them. I found my self laughing in many occasions and I never want to read the last pa
Carole Roman
Dec 22, 2013 Carole Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a total surprise. Kerry and Lucinda are two unlikely lovers. Send by the powers that be, they have to save each other. Lucinda is in limbo, almost dead, and given a chance to repair her tarnished soul by saving another sinner. Kerry, a rake, has no intention of repairing his image or his soul. Respect and friendship bloom and built into a wonderful realization that love follows. A great book that brings a tear to my eyes when I read it.
Lou
Lovely light-hearted fluff with a slightly unusual angle in that the heroine is in a coma / almost-ghost-state for the majority of the book. Her mission, should she choose to accept it, is to reform the hero's lifestyle. Fun and games ensues!

I enjoyed this one, and it was a definite change from the more usual Regency formula.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
I heard good things from somewhere (can't remember where) about this author, so I thought I'd try her out and this was one book that the library carried that sounded like it had an okay plot. The story was good, but it was too risque for me - too much sexual innuendo.
Darlene
Apr 09, 2012 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book ... It takes you in a 3 demon. place . You are drawn in by an angel that is actually not there but is there- You really muct read this book!!! You wont believe the ending !!
Jane
Mar 26, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3.80-4.60 stars - pg13?

Funny. Good story. Not crazy about some of the spiritual/paranormal aspects....thus the 3.8-4.6 rating.
Zorro
Jul 21, 2016 Zorro rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rake-playboy
dropped
Jenna
Dec 21, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story and I always like the little bit of supernatural that is in most of Ms. Metzger's books.
Jessica
Very cute. I'm not sure why her soul is in jeopardy though.
Bellatica
May 08, 2012 Bellatica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lovely romantic book.
Deb Marlowe
Aug 26, 2013 Deb Marlowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A light, lovely story--an old favorite!
Jessica
Aug 08, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice story and awesome ending
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regency
Megalessia
Megalessia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
hover
hover marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Tasty
Tasty rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 24, 2016 11:07AM
  • The Lady's Companion
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Phantom Lover
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • The Gypsy Heiress
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #4)
  • A Lot Like A Lady (Lady, #1)
  • The Wooing of Miss Masters
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • Miss Lacey's Last Fling
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance
More about Barbara Metzger...