Start by marking “The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World

The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World

What is taste? Is it individual or imposed on us from the outside? Why are so many of us so intimidated when presented with the wine list at a restaurant? In The Accidental Connoisseur, journalist Lawrence Osborne takes off on a personal voyage through a little-known world in pursuit of some answers. Weaving together a fantastic cast of eccentrics and obsessives, industry ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by North Point Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Connoisseur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Connoisseur

stephanie
Mar 29, 2007 stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in wine
The title says it all, sarcastic, hilarious, and lacking pretension; the Accidental Connoisseur is a memorable road trip through the world of wine. You will meet a lot of the big players in the global wine industry, become familiar with the vocabulary of an oenophile; all without the snooty, dryness associated with books on wine tasting. Open a nice bottle and enjoy the journey.
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wine lovers
This is one of those well-written journalistic travel books by an author with expertise in a specific field, this time a wine critic rambling through California, Italy, and France. Osborne is a fabulous writer, entertaining and self-deprecating. Some of his turns of phrase are a little exuberant, others require a dictionary, but all in all I enjoyed this book.

One thing that was interesting: Osborne rails on Napa. The town is "Disneyfied," the sunlight "shrill," everything is a copy without sens
Melissa
Oct 14, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Think Anthony Bourdain meets the wine world. Clever, witty, intelligent. Osborne's unforgiving British humor combined with his unwillingness to buy into the pretentiousness of the wine industry makes for a laughable but decidedly intriguing read. This is a book for those who love wine but on a "normal consumer" level. He investigates diverse snapshots of the wine industry, including questioning the merits of a Napa Valley "vintner" who has patented software that tells you how (on a chemical leve ...more
Gerard
Apr 06, 2014 Gerard rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on wine that among other concerns tries to winkle out the whys of price/value, the homogenization of modern wine and just what is tradition anyway. The author is an accomplished, acerbic and witty travel writer and that's shown to good ends here. This is one of the most entertaining (while also pretty merciless) wine books I've read and I look forward to reading the author's other books.
Rachael
Jun 23, 2007 Rachael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in entering the world of wine
This book took away my fear of drinking wine (or rather, my fear of not knowing what I'm "supposed" to be tasting), it's fun, easy to read, light on wine technicalities and let me in on the secret that sometimes even wine writers don't understand what they're drinking. Great for the beginning wine enthusiast!
Dayna
Apr 17, 2009 Dayna rated it it was ok
While there were a few sections that made me chuckle, and a few little insights into the wine world, this book wasn't as funny, irreverent, or interesting as I thought it was going to be.
Leslie
Jun 20, 2007 Leslie added it
Recommends it for: No One.
This book is a nauseating combination of pretentious and uninformative. I loathed it.
Nat
Dec 06, 2011 Nat added it
The in-the-know thing to say about what a wine tastes like is to say it tastes like "grapes". A couple of the wine makers that Osborne interviews scoff at the language of the wine reviewers and instead use that description.

This is also a kind of critique of the idea of "terroir". Can you really taste the environment in which a wine is produced? In some incredibly indirect sense, but we're hardly discerning enough for its effect to be other than "psychological"---in the sense that one tastes wha
Phil Martin
Jan 05, 2010 Phil Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink
This is a great piece of travel writing as well as a good book about wine.

If you enjoy drinking wine and tasting wine but feel a little like you don't get it in the same way as the enthusiasts, this is a great book for you.

Osborne Journeys across Europe tasting, or more accurately, drinking wine with growers and buyers, makers and sellers. It is a journey that has you wondering where you went wrong in life. How is it that some people get to vagabond round the vineyards of Europe, relaxing, eatin
Alina
Nov 14, 2008 Alina rated it really liked it
I got nervous at first that I needed to know too many of the wine world identities to appreciate this book, but I soon realized that although Osborne meets with all of those people in his book, he is using them simply as the canvass for which to introduce bigger questions about wine.
What is the best bottle of wine? Is it based on the grape, the terroir, the experience you are having while you drink it, etc.
What is taste?
Is there any reason to buy into the Parker categorization (or any other, for
Donald
Jan 20, 2016 Donald added it
I found this book languishing in the headboard of the bed ... my wife bought it but found it too boring to actually read. The cover has a quote from a Financial Times review - "Possibly the most entertaining book about wine ever written." My conclusion - it is more entertaining to drink wine than to read about it ... Not a bad book - just not that entertaining. A tour through the famous and not so famous wineries of California, France, and Italy. Note that there are many phrases in French and It ...more
Jeanne Julian
Jan 02, 2017 Jeanne Julian rated it liked it
You pretty much have to be a wine enthusiast to enjoy this book. You'll enjoy his lack of pretension, appreciation of wine and context, and humor. Being a Francophile also would enhance your reading experience. But, I must confess that, months after finishing the book, I find it not that memorable; it left a pleasant taste in my mouth, but I'm not sure why. As the author says about his encounter with the revered Lafite: "I couldn't honestly remember that much about the Lafite. It had been good, ...more
Brian Von
Feb 07, 2016 Brian Von rated it liked it
An interesting read for enophiles though not enthralling. Learned a lot about wine regions I didn't know much about i.e. Languedoc, Piedmont, and Tuscany. I appreciated Osbournes historical accounts of the 1855 Bordeaux classification, the evolution of wine descriptors from the 50s to 70s to Parker, and his rationale behind romancing the past and the dehumanizations that comes from the modernizing and homogeneity of today's mass market wines.
Alton
Aug 05, 2009 Alton rated it really liked it
A humorous and offbeat take on the world of wine set as a travelogue. Osborne travels the world and visits various wine producers to get at the elusive quality of taste. His observations are keen and he really appears to be genuine in his quest to learn all he can about the wines he is drinking. Not a book for those seeking an education in the finer points of wine and its enjoyment-this reads more like a Bryson's book on hiking the AT. Highly recommend.
Terrence Jones
Nov 05, 2011 Terrence Jones rated it really liked it
A tour of the wine world with an open mind but little tolerance for the overly haute.

Lawrence Osborne has a beautiful and fluid style of writing and absorbs the reader in the stories of the wine world. The best sections are a tour through the traditional peasant wine making areas France and Italy.
Tuck
Jan 22, 2009 Tuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wine-and-food
author looks at wine, wine appreciation, wine growing, wine making, in a few locations around the globe, California, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Tuscany. he talks to some of the biggest, heaviest hitters in the mundo vino, so that's interesting. and he's irreverent as hell, and likes to get drunk and write about it, so that's good too but, skip to page 120 to start and it will be better.
Sara
Jan 06, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013, wine
I read this because it happened to be available while I was traveling. I found it entertaining even though I'm not very knowledgeable about wine. Osborne is not interested in educating readers about wine, instead he tries to express the flavor of the wine world (or bits of it, in France and Italy.)
Stella Vance
Feb 13, 2013 Stella Vance rated it liked it
This book was enjoyable to start with, all full of florid prose and potential, but it could have been cut down by a third. There's only so much that can be written about wine and wine making and wine makers before it feels cyclic and purgatorial. I wouldn't not recommend it, but don't go out of your way to pick this up.
Kannan
Sep 21, 2012 Kannan rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
This is markedly different from the glossy wine books, wine catalogs, or wine appreciation literature - it is none of these. This is mostly the account of the author's travels as he experiences first-hand, vine plantations and wine making. He has some interesting market insights too. The book makes an interesting read to me as an accidental consumer of wine.
Sandie
Jul 08, 2009 Sandie rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about wine but not sure how much I'll retain much next time I visit the wine shop... This book is more about witty anecdotes with both known personalities like Robert Mondavi and unknown "garage vineyards" in California, France and Italy. I really enjoyed Osborne's pursuit of the definition of 'terroir' and explanations of the technical advancements in wine making.
Ajay
Sep 05, 2011 Ajay rated it liked it
Shelves: culture
A book completely unpretentious book on wine. The author circles the globe in a quest to define the meaning of taste, and along the way writes an excellent exposition of wine for the beginner, or an interesting travelogue for the more experience enologist.
joe
Jan 17, 2008 joe rated it really liked it
I love this book. It is wine writing at its most casual, entertaining and witty. I highly recommend it to wine geeks and non wine drinkers alike. Reading about Lawrence Osborne's wine travels will make you want to drink a few pints with him. You will want to be dude's friend.
Curt
Jul 20, 2009 Curt rated it it was amazing
His language is a bit uppity, but you know I love that. An absolutely fantastic romp through the wine world. This book is what I would do for a year with an unlimited budget. He writes about wine and travel in a way that just gets me.
Frances
Entirely enjoyable discussion of "taste" relative to wine. All sorts of other good facts along the way. Somewhat of a travel narrative; somewhat of a history book. Mostly just stories about the journey of learning about wine.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

Lawrence Osborne learns about wine by taking a journey through the wine world. And, in the process, we learn a bit about wine, too.
James
Jun 29, 2016 James rated it it was amazing
Fun ride with the author through his journey of learning to love wine. Well written and recommended.
Trudy Lewis
Not bad, but I prefer Osborne's fiction.
Javier
Aug 21, 2014 Javier rated it it was amazing
What we all secretly want wine books to be like... irreverent, honest.
R
Jul 24, 2009 R rated it it was amazing
Loved the book, the humor and insight made it a fun read! The visit with the Mondavi's was a riot. I doubt a better book could be written about the experience of tasting wine.
Phil
Oct 12, 2010 Phil rated it liked it
Shelves: wine-and-spirits
Witty, sometimes a bit draggy, but a fun one-time adventure through the culture of the vineyards in the US and Europe.
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France
  • Champagne: How the World's Most Glamorous Wine Triumphed Over War and Hard Times
  • Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
  • The Battle for Wine and Love: or How I Saved the World from Parkerization
  • To Cork or Not To Cork: Tradition, Romance, Science, and the Battle for the Wine Bottle
  • Napa: The Story of an American Eden
  • The New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia
  • Drink This: Wine Made Simple
  • The Wild Vine: A Forgotten Grape and the Untold Story of American Wine
  • Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens
  • Hugh Johnson's the Story of Wine
  • Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy
  • How I Learned To Cook: Culinary Educations from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything
  • The Unprejudiced Palate: Classic Thoughts on Food and the Good Life
  • The Emperor of Wine: The Rise of Robert M. Parker, Jr., and the Reign of American Taste
  • Great Wine Made Simple: Straight Talk from a Master Sommelier
Lawrence Osborne is a British novelist currently residing in New York City.

Osborne was educated at Cambridge and Harvard, and has since led a nomadic life, residing for years in France, Italy, Morocco, the United States, Mexico, Thailand and Istanbul.

He is the author of the novel Ania Malina, a book about Paris, Paris Dreambook, the essay collection The Poisoned Embrace, a controversial book about
More about Lawrence Osborne...

“One can rarely say enough about the kindness of Italians. One is always treated as a human being who needs unpredictable things—like a moment by oneself with a bottle on the beach. They have a true gift for what can only be called spontaneous delicacy.” 2 likes