Start by marking “Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)

Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  105,207 Ratings  ·  11,290 Reviews
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit-more sparkly, more fun, more wild-the better. But even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell ...more
Published October 2011 by Penguin Australia (first published September 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lola and the Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Aleeza Athar I had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works…moreI had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works with Anna. Anna and Etienne appear a lot in the novel as Lola's friends. Also, if you want to know what happened to them after Anna and the French Kiss, you should definitely read this. Hope i helped. (less)
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenMy Best Friend's Brother by Chrissy FanslauLola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie PerkinsThis Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
Best Lighthearted Teen Novels
4th out of 22 books — 19 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareDivergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Favourite YA 2011 Reads
51st out of 127 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Sophia.
Oh, gosh. I really cannot understand all the good reviews for this book (even if half of them were given BEFORE the book actually came out, which, if you ask me, is completely stupid). To say it's overrated is an understatement.

This book is such a huge disappointment. I guess this is a typical example of what happens when you fantasize so much about something that you've actually built up this ideal in your mind... which has nothing to do with reality, sadly. Careful people, spoilers ahead.

I'd
Rainbow
Oct 16, 2012 Rainbow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Perkins writes excellent boys. Girls, too -- but ESPECIALLY boys. They feel specific. Like real people, not shapeless dream things. And she takes her time with her characters. There isn't any feeling that she's cramming the love story in, in between distractions.

CHARMING.

tonya.
Here's the thing. I think Stephanie Perkins is in my head. Or at least my daydreams. How else could she consistently write characters that seem to be tailor-made to hit my flutter buttons? Etienne for my anglophilia, Max for my tattooed, Buddy Holly glasses wearing (view spoiler) rocker boy, and Cricket. Cricket for everything I've ever wanted in a real boy.

Because that's the beauty of Lola and the Bo
Flannery
Aug 08, 2011 Flannery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Read Anna & The French Kiss
Did you read Anna and the French Kiss?:
A.YES, I loved it!
B.YES, it was okay.
C.YES, and I didn’t like it.
D.NO, but I intend to.
E.NO, it’s not for me.

If you picked A, B, or D, please proceed to review #1.
If you picked C or E, please proceed to review #2.
__________________________________________________
Review #1:
LOVE! This book is fun, fun, fun (til her daddy takes the T-bird away). It has a very similar feeling to its companion novel Anna and the French Kiss—a teenage girl who already has a boyf
Lyndsey
Set to "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow.

Her name is Lo-la. She's a steal-the-show girl.
With purple stripeys in her hair, wearing leggings worthy of Cher.
She's friends with Etienne, and of course, with An-na.
The boy next door draws on his hand, and Lola yearns to understand.
Across their midnight lawn, they talked from dusk til dawn.
They were young and needed each other.
But did the boy next door want more?

At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Casa.
The hottest thing since Etienne and Anna!
At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Ca
Ariana
Mar 20, 2015 Ariana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ariana by: JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko

I'm definitely going to burn in hell..
Oh, that awkward moment when everybody loves a book and you don't understand why... You know that feeling, right? Well, yeah, I'm pretty much living it.

It's not that I DIDN'T LIKE the book, it's just that I didn't LIKE it.. Does it make any sense to you, because for me there is a whole damn big difference.

Anyways, this is not Anna's book-sister, this is more like the evil stepsister.. It actually managed to raise my blood pressure, unfortunately not in a "t
Limonessa
The thing about Lola and the boy next door is that, since it's a companion book, it's inevitable to make a comparison with Anna and the French Kiss which, in this case, comes out as a disadvantage because, as far as I am concerned, Anna is the absolute winner.

Lola is a really cute story: she is a quirky, raised by gay parents, unique teenage girl.
When her first crush and ex-neighbor, Cricket, reappears on her doorstep after two years, things get complicated because Lola already has a boyfriend,
Tatiana
I don't know how I am going to justify this rating. Books like Lola and the Boy Next Door rarely work for me. I dislike chick-lit, I dislike two-timing/emotionally cheating/lying heroines, I dislike when the "wrong" guy in books with love triangles is vilified at the last minute to make it right for the heroine to break up with him. And yet I liked this book that contains all these elements.

This novel is just such a light, breezy, charming read. The main character, who would normally annoy the
Jessica (priceiswong)
Jun 10, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
I first read this book in May of 2013, and fell in love with Lola and Cricket's story. For some reason, I never wrote out a proper review for it though (although I do have reviews for Anna and the French Kiss and Isla and the Happily Ever After)

I just finished my first reread of the book, and it was the audiobook version. It was so good! I was so happy to be back with Lola and Cricket again! I love that this story is set in San Fransisco, and I just love all of the characters!

Lola reminds me of
Arlene
Jul 23, 2011 Arlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna and the French Kiss
Recommended to Arlene by: Etienne. I'm sticking to it... =)
First off, a huge thanks to Rebecca for giving me this ARC. Thank you!!

ABSOLUTELY CRUSH-WORTHY

HOLY CRICKET!! I am absolutely in love with Lola and the Boy Next Door! I’m not denying it, I have a HUGE crush on this book and it’s not going away. Stephanie Perkins, without a doubt did it again. She’s managed to tap into my inner giddy making me a shameless book hugger. For fans of Anna and the French Kiss eagerly anticipating Lola and the Boy Next Door breathe with ease. This book is fricken
Alyssa
You know how all you Harry Potter fans were, like, living for the release of the seventh book, and then how some were disappointed in it? Lola was my disappointing Deathly Hallows.

You see, Anna and I, we hit it off. She smacked me in the face when I needed a slap, she caressed my stupid romantic heart, and she left me laughing out loud and wanting more. Anna, well, she’s kind of the reminder in a genre full of heavy stuff that it’s okay to watch romantic comedies on Valentine’s Day with a box o
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Yay for warm fuzzies. Stephanie Perkins has a talent and that talent is for making me happy, allowing me to enjoy the entire reading experience, laugh at times and come away with no deep sense of revelation - just the knowledge that I will have to get my hands on whatever she writes next. Her writing may be light and mostly meaningless but it achieves one of the greatest things a book possibly can: fun.

And that's just it... this book is silly, mindless fun. I'm not sure why some people who enjo
Christine Riccio
adorable and wonderful! didn't want to put it down =)
Priscilla
Nov 11, 2011 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D'AAWWWW, well isn't that just lovely.

Initial reactions:
1. GAH, the cuteness OVERWHELMS ME! *faints*
2. Okay. Serious business guys. Love the story. There are more things going on than just the boy next door. Family, figuring out who you really are, and growing up.
3. Writing is amazing of course. Perkins is able to write her main characters with such a voice. They are complete characters. I love how Lola has interests, and there are issues surrounding her life other than boy problems. And althoug
Amy (Foxy)
FOUR POINT FIVE STARS

Two years ago I remember reading the first book in this series and enjoying it. So, when I was looking through the library's audios and saw this one I thought, 'why not.'

First off, I liked this one more than the first book. I know it's been two years since I read book one but this one was more fun to read.

What got my attention right away was LOLA. What an interesting character. She's a senior in high school who has a boyfriend who happens to be five years older than her. Ri
Anzu The Great Destroyer
** Favourite YA of 2011 **

OMG!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

How the hell am I supposed to review this without seeming sick or desperate?? I have no idea! …. But I’m going to try!

This was AMAZING! I was expecting it to be great, but there was still a part of me cringing at the idea that I might be too demanding and find out that it’s not so good. Well, it surpassed my expectations.

How can I best define Lola and the Boy Next Door?

I literally couldn’t put the book down. It got stuck to my hands. It beca
Eren Nadir Akşamoğlu
Allahım en sonunda badboy olmayan bir erkek karakter. Şükürler olsun şükürler olsun \(^o^)/ Kitaba başlamadan önce bazı şüphelerim yok değildi. Sonuçta "Komşu Çocuk" ki biz bu zamana kadar ne komşu çocukları gördük. E haliyle en başta badboy-saf kız klişesi okuyacagimi düşündüm ama Cricket ve Lola beni benden aldı. Yaşasın düşüncelerini açık seçik dökmekten kaçınmayan, heyecanlaninca ellerini kollarını nereye koyacagini şaşıran hafif aksak erkeklerin kardeşliği (*︶*) ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oh. My. God. What a perfect little book! I wasn't expecting to love it so much. I enjoyed 'Anna and the French Kiss' but this one was on a whole other level. So good! I've been in the mood for fluffy contemporaries and this was perfect. I'll definitely read it again in the future when I need a smile.
Ash Reads
Mar 12, 2016 Ash Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first read: September 21 - 22, 2015
first reread: March 8 - 12 , 2016

MARCH 2016: I loved it just as much the 2nd time around!!!

------
SEPTEMBER 2015: Totally loving these books! I think overall, I liked Anna's story better....but I definitely found more things that I could relate to in this book.

“Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.”

I really ended up liking Cricket, he is just...so awkward, and sweet and tal
Lucy
Lola and the Boy Next Door was a clumsy fumble for Stephanie Perkins. It had the potential to be something much better, but got bogged down with Anna's history and Isla's future. I often wondered how much of Lola was planned while Anna and the French Kiss was being written and how much of Lola's story was simply dictated by the circumstances the first story had and the third story would require. Even Perkins' charming writing couldn't really save the book after tying it to so many heavy bricks a ...more
Ariel
Oct 25, 2014 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in under 24 hours just like I did with Anna. IT WAS SO AMAZING . I WILL REVIEW SOON.

The worst part about this book is that I'm done reading it.
Seriously.

Macarena
Después de 3 meses volví a terminar un libro físico. Estoy tan feliz y fue tan tan hermoso. Adore este libro, no sé si me gusto más que Anna and The French Kiss pero lo ame lo ame lo ame. Y Cricket es amor.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Chloe
Aug 04, 2015 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book but not as much as Anna and the French kiss:/
Still a really good read though!
Kate ♡
BLOG REVIEW

Actual Rating: 3.89/5
I have some mixed feelings with this book, although I did quite enjoy it!

For about the first 100 pages I found the writing to be really confusing because it kept switching from past and present tense, but I slowly got used to that when the switches in tense got sparser. However the writing also felt a little choppy to me which was quite annoying at times. Although I do still love Perkins' writing!

Our protagonist Lola was a v
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread 8/20/15: wow. Cricket. WOW. What a charmer. I always underestimate this book. I CAN'T STOP GRINNING.

Reread 8/16/14: oh gosh. Oooohhhh gosh. I forgot how much I loved Cricket Bell. Swooning for the rest of my life
Whitney Atkinson

This book is exactly how I expected it to be. Light, meh main character, and predictable. The main thing I love about this is Stephanie Perkins is just a great writer. She writes contemporary romances so well and I really find it enjoyable to read. I knew going into this that the main thing I wouldn't get along with is Lola. I've heard things about Lola, and kinda had a preconceived notion of her, and my prediction that I wouldn't like her was correct. She just seemed.... ingenuine to m
Spencer
Jul 22, 2015 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

______________________________

I 100% liked this one more than Anna and the French Kiss. While the first one had a huge love triangle and while I think St. Clair was so damn cute, this one topped its predecessor. These books are so cute, and what I feel like reading during the summer. I love the summer fluff! Stephanie's books are the bane of every reading slump out there.

1) The Plot

While t
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

3.5 out of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). GAH THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE!!! I just wish that the cliche line "I release a breath I didn't know I was holding" UGHHHHHHH. Cricket <3

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I h
Megan
Oct 17, 2011 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, romance
First off, I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss. It has a great plot, great location, great boarding school, fun characters, a great boy, but most importantly Anna is a great character. I could easily put myself into her shoes even though she was in Paris. Perkins is cute so she created a cute book that's fun to read. I was so excited about Lola and couldn't wait to get my hands on it!

However, I was disappointed with Lola and the Boy Next Door.My main problem with this book is its namesake, Lola. S
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Thank goodness for author recommendations.

Like Tammara Webber and Rae Carson, I too read Anna and the French Kiss and felt pretty M-E-H about it. But hey, we now live in a world of Kindles and Nooks (oh my!), and sample chapters are only a click away.

I was instantly hooked on Lola, one of the quirkiest, most original (not to mention coolest) characters I've ever read. Lola's best friend, Miss I-wanna-be-a-detective-when-I-grow-up Lindsey Lim, is pretty awesome too. I especially like what led t
  • The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)
  • Past Perfect
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Wanderlove
  • Epic Fail
  • Amplified (Amplified, #1)
  • A Match Made in High School
  • Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
  • A Midsummer's Nightmare
  • Things I Can't Forget
  • Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
  • Dreamland Social Club
  • Fixing Delilah
  • And Then Things Fall Apart
  • Graffiti Moon
  • Smart Girls Get What They Want
  • Saving June
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, and ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME. A companion anthology, SUMMER DAYS AND SUMMER NIGHTS, will be released in May 2016. My next YA novel will be horror—a teen slasher published by Dutton.

I don't check
More about Stephanie Perkins...

Anna and the French Kiss (3 books)
  • Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)

“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.” 1771 likes
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”
1189 likes