Start by marking “Cities in the Wilderness: A New Vision of Land Use in America” as Want to Read:
Cities in the Wilderness: A New Vision of Land Use in America

Cities in the Wilderness: A New Vision of Land Use in America

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In this brilliant, gracefully written, and important new book, former Secretary of the Interior and Governor of Arizona Bruce Babbitt brings fresh thought--and fresh air--to questions of how we can build a future we want to live in.
We've all experienced America's changing natural landscape as the integrity of our forests, seacoasts, and river valleys succumbs to strip mall
Published August 26th 2005 by Island Press (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cities in the Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cities in the Wilderness

Marc Brackett
Had high hopes for this book but it turned into a manual for how to use3 the power of government to coerce others into doing what you want them to. No mention of conservation oriented groups that build relationships with other users and create lasting changes in public opinion that advance the greater good. The whole approach was heavy headed and the book was perhaps sadly accurate in giving an honest assessment of how matters were settled. The book also ignores a growing body of evidence that s ...more
Zachary Wilson
I'd never heard of Bruce Babbitt before but he is a real visionary on issues of land use in the United States. I can only hope our current Secretary of the Interior is doing as much as he did.
Martha
Great Book for people wanting to learn more about environmental policy at the Federal level. Very readable even though the topic is hard to get your hands around.
Clay
Hopeful and realistic. Babbitt reveals his work, battles won and lost, as Secretary of Interior under Clinton. Really well written.
Philip Russo
A fascinating book about the earlier days of environmental protection in the US written by one the titans of that era.
Margaret
Apr 27, 2012 Margaret marked it as to-read
borrowed for GDP
looks really interesting. never read just quick skims
D. Paterson donated copy to UBC
Chris
Exciting. My first foray into land conservation.
Timothy
Jan 10, 2009 Timothy marked it as to-read
found in bookshop at sanibel island
Linus Blomqvist
Linus Blomqvist marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
Andrew Ifill
Andrew Ifill marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
L.h.
L.h. marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Ben Lowy
Ben Lowy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Michael Tolan
Michael Tolan marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Rob Best
Rob Best marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Grand Canyon an Anthology: A Selection of Outstanding Writings The Soul of the Rhino: A Nepali Adventure with Kings and Elephant Drivers, Billionaires and Bureaucrats, Shamans and Scientists and the Indian Rhinoceros Laurance S. Rockefeller: Catalyst For Conservation The Yellowstone Wolf: A Guide and Sourcebook Harrisburg Emergenza Nucleare: Il rapporto americano sull'incidente alla centrale di Three Mile Island