Start by marking “The Accidental Investment Banker: Inside the Decade That Transformed Wall Street” as Want to Read:

Jonathan A. Knee had a ringside seat during the go-go, boom-and-bust decade and into the 21st century, at the two most prestigious investment banks on Wall Street--Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley. In this candid and irreverent insider's account of an industry in free fall, Knee captures an exhilarating era of fabulous deal-making in a free-wheeling Internet economy--and t ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Investment Banker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Investment Banker

Esther
Sep 06, 2013 Esther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sat on my shelf for a long time, after I found Liar's Poker a most disappointing read. This book is quite different - much more informative and introspective - and ultimately much more worth a read.

"Liar's Poker" was recommended it to me as a 'rollick' but when I read it, I found these self-important, abrasive characters who bullied their way around deeply depressing against the backdrop of the knowledge that the markets they invented, ultimately brought the financial markets - and wit
Aleksei
The book covers the main development stages of Investment Banking in 20th century with especial attention to dotcom bubble and bust, and the aftermath of those events.
karl
Jun 20, 2008 karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Investment Banker wannabe's
Recommended to karl by: former student
Paul and I read this book, which a former student (who works with the author) gave us. Jonathan Knee is now a managing director in the media group at Evercore, a boutique investment banking firm that specializes in advising activities. The book blends historical background on the big IB'ing firms, description of what IB'ers do and how the industry has changed over the last 20 years, and Jonahan's career autobiography including his 15+ years with GS in London and MS in New York. He does not duck ...more
David Lau
Jul 10, 2009 David Lau rated it liked it
Good for aspiring Ibankers, current professionals, or those just curious about the soft nuances of the profession. Money, women, politics, it almost runs the risk of falling into the category of literature candidates for film rendition. However, Knee's credibility and no-nonsense writing style gives the book a grimy, realistic feel so that the reader feels like he is, for the moment, living vicariously as an ibanker. Don't expect to learn too much about the field but the book does provide a dece ...more
Margaret
Review of the I-Banking industry from the 80s - 06 from the perspective of a man working at both Goldman and Morgan Stanley during this period. There is also a historical overview of the inception and growth of the industry from 1930 forward. The content is about 1/2 personal anecdote, 1/2 reportage/ethnographic discussion. I really enjoyed it for the education on the industry but it would be utterly boring if you didn't have some desire for such an education and were purely looking for a compel ...more
James
Jan 24, 2012 James rated it did not like it
Shelves: finance
By page 14 I was thinking this is a boring book.

Then on Page 15 the author himself says:
"Admit it. That shit is B-O-R-I-N-G"

Mostly the book is gossip about the author and how important he is.

To the extent the book covers investment banking, it is simplistic AND B-O-R-I-N-G.

Published in 2006, it has nothing about recent developments in the financial markets.

Sean
Dec 27, 2012 Sean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: banking
This book reads as a personal vanity project of the writer, who spends most of the book fawning over brand names and name-dropping as much as possible. While there are a few interesting historical factoids sprinkled throughout the text, the whole book seems to serve primarily as a vehicle for the self-promotion and self-aggrandizement of the writer.
DebZ
Apr 23, 2008 DebZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating personal account of time spent at powerhouse investment banks Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley during the boom and bust of the late 90s/early 00s. Combines stories of deals with details on the inner workings of the banks and a thoughtful analysis on changes in the industry. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone interested in finance or business.
Greg
Feb 02, 2011 Greg rated it liked it
Don't expect too much out of it without a background in the big players, both the personalities and the businesses. But it's an interesting enough insider look at the world of investment banking from 1995-2005.
Jules
Nov 21, 2008 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good insight into inner workings of Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, as well as what investment banking used to be like in a previous life.

Well written in a straight-forward manner. Good intro to what investment banking actually is, without the glossy, glamourous cover.
Haider Hussain
Nov 25, 2014 Haider Hussain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in a biographical style, The Accidental Investment Banker is more a critique than a memoir. Not as informative as i expected, but still, it gives the reader an insider's view on how the investment banking culture, norms and practices have changed in the last couple of decades.
Jim
Sep 04, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in investment banking, or finance in general
A good, accesible inside view of how investment banking works and how it has developed over the past several decades - particularly during the 90s and early 00s. Author does a good job of weaving his personal experience with the larger course of events in the investment banking world.
Michal
Aug 29, 2007 Michal rated it liked it
very informative ,clear, and interesting. written as a personal hisoty, this book provides a rare inside look into how the banking industry is run and what it takes to succeed in the field.
Brad Hayes
Jan 20, 2015 Brad Hayes rated it really liked it
If you seek a "trusted advisor" to provide a behind-the-scenes view of The Street, you'd be wise to find Jonathan Knee. His dry wit makes his story all the more enjoyable.
Alan Wu
Mar 14, 2008 Alan Wu rated it it was ok
Interesting and chockful of fun facts, don't pick it up without some passion for the industry and Finance 101 knowledge.
Jude
Feb 06, 2008 Jude rated it liked it
It was interesting to me, but I can't believe it got published, because he's not a very good writer.
David Pincus
Jan 27, 2008 David Pincus rated it really liked it
I was just starting to get interested in finance. While this book was very interesting, I did feel that some parts might have been a little dry, and not that interesting for a beginner
Jose
Jan 13, 2009 Jose rated it really liked it
Great coming of age story that documents the excesses of Wall Street during the go-go 80's era from a first person perspective. For fans of Michael Lewis' Liars Poker and vice-versa.
Nirmit
Jan 23, 2016 Nirmit rated it it was ok
It has a lot of unnecessary details. Avoid it, there are many better books about Investment Banking.
Jill
Jan 09, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
Seth gave this book to me to learn about investment banking. Knee's anecdotes, humor and in-depth analysis make this a must read for the mom of a future investment banker.
Richa Sachdeva
Jun 29, 2016 Richa Sachdeva rated it really liked it
Good insider information into what goes in an investment bank and what an investment banker really does :D
Nicole
Mar 28, 2008 Nicole is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
read half through it. its very interesting and very relatable for me. unfortunately when im not at work its hard to want to spend time reading about it.
Terri
Aug 12, 2007 Terri rated it liked it
interesting, but not nearly as intriguing as the reviews led me to be believe. it is NOT "the devil wears prada" for investment banking!
Antti Säiläkivi
Antti Säiläkivi rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Mateo E
Mateo E rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Jose Alvarez
Jose Alvarez rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Handri Sur
Handri Sur rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2010
Rhian
Rhian rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Neera
Neera rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2012
  • A Demon of Our Own Design: Markets, Hedge Funds, and the Perils of Financial Innovation
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • Monkey Business: Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle
  • Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley
  • Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • The New Money Masters
  • Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment
  • What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • Tearing Down the Walls: How Sandy Weill Fought His Way to the Top of the Financial World. . .and Then Nearly Lost It All (Wall Street Journal Book)
  • Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Fool's Gold