Start by marking “The Mills of God” as Want to Read:
The Mills of God

The Mills of God (Nick Lawrence #1)

From the author of the ‘John Rawlings’ mysteries - The sleepy, eccentric Sussex village of Lakehurst suddenly becomes a place of terror and night shadows. After dark, it is hardly safe to go out, to the consternation of the newly arrived Vicar, trendy young Nick Lawrence, and Inspector Dominic Tennant of the Sussex Police Force. For a serial killer is on the loose: one w ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Severn House Publishers (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mills of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mills of God

LJ
First Sentence: It was, thought Nick, peering through the windscreen of his somewhat battered red Peugeot, a very oddly shaped village.

The Reverend Nick Lawrence arrives at his new parish in the village of Lakehurst. Awaiting him is an assortment of village characters, a 16th century vicarage, complete with ghost, and a serial murderer. DI Dominic Tennant, and his sergeant, Potter, come to catch a killer before the town’s small population is even further reduced.

Ms. Lake is taking a new directio
Damaskcat
Sep 28, 2014 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick Lawrence is taking up his new post as vicar in a sleepy Sussex village called Lakehurst. His vicarage is very old and comes with a ghost and he soon acquires a cat - Radetsky. The village seems to have more than its fair share of eccentric people and one or two who appear very strange indeed apart from the women who seem to be making passes at him at any and every opportunity. Then the Patels who keep the village shop are found murdered in their bed and things start to seem uncomfortably re ...more
Kb
Dec 27, 2015 Kb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is best described as "Maeve Binchy meets Midsomer Murders." Despite stereotypical characters, stilted writing, and unrealistic police procedures, I kept reading to the end because I actually found the story quite likeable. If half-stars were available, I would have bumped it up.

That being said, the author's many biases do come through strongly in her depictions of character (large women are unloveable; young males are loutish). Be warned also, if you enjoy straightforward, well-constru
Elizabeth Elwood
This is a stylishly written village mystery and an enjoyable read in spite of being loaded with murder and mayhem—shades of Midsomer Murders! The plot hinges around a serial killer who uses the Ten Commandments to justify each murder, and the author makes it through a significant number of them before allowing the villain to be apprehended. However, what makes all this bloodletting palatable is the pleasing setting, the country-village atmosphere, and a string of appealing characters. The hero i ...more
Grey853
Jul 24, 2010 Grey853 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british
Vicar Nick Lawrence gets a new parish in the sleepy village of Lakehurst. Soon after his arrival a serial killer begins reducing the population pretty quickly.

The first part of the book focuses entirely on Nick, which I liked. About midway through, it shifts to Detective Inspector Tennant, which I didn't much care for. I like for point of views to stay steady.

There are a lot of characters, but Lake does a decent job of developing them so that it's pretty easy to figure out who's who.

I did find
Susan
Dec 05, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
Nick Lawrence takes over the vicarage in the small village of Lakehurst, Sussex. He likes a lot of his new parishioners, especially the beautiful violinist Olivia Beauchamp, and doesn't even mind the fairly quiet ghost who haunts his house. When the murders start, however, the village turns into itself, and Nick must join forces with Inspector Tennant to figure out whether the murderer is really crazed, or whether there's a secret motive behind the killings.
John Lee
I am a fan of this author but was not impressed by this one. I think that I can understand why she might be getting a bit tired of her John Rawlin series but they were certainly her forte. I wonder if she has chosen the right 'area/genre' for this new one. It is an area already well supplied with successful authors and established characters.
Ryan
Dec 06, 2016 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Subtitle a bit misleading

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The storyline was compelling, and the characters were well thought out. My only complaint is that the series is entitled "Nick Lawrence Mysteries" but it seems the main character was actually Inspector Tennant. Maybe I will have to read the rest of the series to see if this is rectified in the following volumes.
Michaela Shea
Aug 07, 2011 Michaela Shea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Half-wits
Recommended to Michaela by: My mother told me not to read it. But would I listen? No
The Mills of God-Awful. An ok premise destroyed by witless characters, terminal dialogue and snail-like pace. Snobby vicar meets one dimensional characters where who cares if the serial killer terminates the entire village. Appalling ending. How did this get published?
Jenn Estepp
This is really a two and a half, but it's so much better than the mystery I finished right before it, so it gets pumped up. It's also very obviously small press, and you can tell, and things seemed sort of random, but still.
Pam
Sep 10, 2011 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting into the book but warmed up to it as I continued to read. I ended up quite enjoying it. Most of my problem was I felt the sentences were clumsy and I had to reread them frequently. I like a book to just flow. I enjoyed the twists and unpredictability of it though.
Johanna
Feb 20, 2013 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england
This was a VERY cozy mystery. I always like a nice, handsome new vicar as the main character :)
Victoria
Jun 26, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was really good. Kept you thinking about who the suspect was.
Linda
Mar 03, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, english
I thoroughly enjoyed this 'English Village/Vicar' mystery. I look forward to reading more Nick Lawrence mysteries.
Margareth8537
Jan 21, 2014 Margareth8537 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Prefer the John Rawlings series, but this was quite entertaining to listen to. A quick read
Fran Lachance
Fran Lachance rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Greg Keesler
Greg Keesler rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Mike Gabor
Mike Gabor rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Zee
Zee rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2010
Karina
Karina rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Lor
Lor rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2010
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Arielle Gordon
Arielle Gordon rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Lynda Lagodney
Lynda Lagodney rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Deryn Lake is a well-known historical novelist who joined the popular ranks of historical detective writers with her gripping John Rawlings Mysteries, Death in the Dark Walk, Death at the Devil's Tavern, Death on the Romney Marsh, Death in the Peerless Pool and Death at Apothecaries' Hall.

Deryn also writes popular historical romances including the acclaimed The King's Women, Sutton Place and Pour
More about Deryn Lake...

Nick Lawrence (3 books)
  • Dead on Cue (Nick Lawrence, #2)
  • The Moonlit Door (Nick Lawrence, #3)