Start by marking “The Mills of God” as Want to Read:
The Mills of God

The Mills of God (Nick Lawrence #1)

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From the author of the ‘John Rawlings’ mysteries - The sleepy, eccentric Sussex village of Lakehurst suddenly becomes a place of terror and night shadows. After dark, it is hardly safe to go out, to the consternation of the newly arrived Vicar, trendy young Nick Lawrence, and Inspector Dominic Tennant of the Sussex Police Force. For a serial killer is on the loose: one wh ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Severn House Publishers (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mills of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mills of God

Damaskcat
Nick Lawrence is taking up his new post as vicar in a sleepy Sussex village called Lakehurst. His vicarage is very old and comes with a ghost and he soon acquires a cat - Radetsky. The village seems to have more than its fair share of eccentric people and one or two who appear very strange indeed apart from the women who seem to be making passes at him at any and every opportunity. Then the Patels who keep the village shop are found murdered in their bed and things start to seem uncomfortably re ...more
LJ
First Sentence: It was, thought Nick, peering through the windscreen of his somewhat battered red Peugeot, a very oddly shaped village.

The Reverend Nick Lawrence arrives at his new parish in the village of Lakehurst. Awaiting him is an assortment of village characters, a 16th century vicarage, complete with ghost, and a serial murderer. DI Dominic Tennant, and his sergeant, Potter, come to catch a killer before the town’s small population is even further reduced.

Ms. Lake is taking a new directio
Grey853
Vicar Nick Lawrence gets a new parish in the sleepy village of Lakehurst. Soon after his arrival a serial killer begins reducing the population pretty quickly.

The first part of the book focuses entirely on Nick, which I liked. About midway through, it shifts to Detective Inspector Tennant, which I didn't much care for. I like for point of views to stay steady.

There are a lot of characters, but Lake does a decent job of developing them so that it's pretty easy to figure out who's who.

I did find
Susan
Nick Lawrence takes over the vicarage in the small village of Lakehurst, Sussex. He likes a lot of his new parishioners, especially the beautiful violinist Olivia Beauchamp, and doesn't even mind the fairly quiet ghost who haunts his house. When the murders start, however, the village turns into itself, and Nick must join forces with Inspector Tennant to figure out whether the murderer is really crazed, or whether there's a secret motive behind the killings.
Margareth8537
Prefer the John Rawlings series, but this was quite entertaining to listen to. A quick read
John Lee
I am a fan of this author but was not impressed by this one. I think that I can understand why she might be getting a bit tired of her John Rawlin series but they were certainly her forte. I wonder if she has chosen the right 'area/genre' for this new one. It is an area already well supplied with successful authors and established characters.
Pam
I had a hard time getting into the book but warmed up to it as I continued to read. I ended up quite enjoying it. Most of my problem was I felt the sentences were clumsy and I had to reread them frequently. I like a book to just flow. I enjoyed the twists and unpredictability of it though.
Michaela Shea
Aug 07, 2011 Michaela Shea rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Half-wits
Recommended to Michaela by: My mother told me not to read it. But would I listen? No
The Mills of God-Awful. An ok premise destroyed by witless characters, terminal dialogue and snail-like pace. Snobby vicar meets one dimensional characters where who cares if the serial killer terminates the entire village. Appalling ending. How did this get published?
Jenn Estepp
This is really a two and a half, but it's so much better than the mystery I finished right before it, so it gets pumped up. It's also very obviously small press, and you can tell, and things seemed sort of random, but still.
Linda
I thoroughly enjoyed this 'English Village/Vicar' mystery. I look forward to reading more Nick Lawrence mysteries.
Johanna
This was a VERY cozy mystery. I always like a nice, handsome new vicar as the main character :)
Victoria
Wow, this book was really good. Kept you thinking about who the suspect was.
Laurel Bradshaw
Laurel Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
LadyTechie
LadyTechie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
M89
M89 added it
Oct 05, 2013
Julie Frenz
Julie Frenz marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
A pseudonym used by Dinah Lampitt

Deryn Lake is the pseudonym of a well-known historical novelist who joined the popular ranks of historical detective writers with her gripping John Rawlings Mysteries, Death in the Dark Walk, Death at the Devil's Tavern, Death on the Romney Marsh, Death in the Peerless Pool and Death at Apothecaries' Hall. Deryn Lake lives near Hastings, East Sussex
More about Deryn Lake...

Nick Lawrence (3 books)
  • Dead on Cue (Nick Lawrence, #2)
  • The Moonlit Door: A Contemporary British Village Mystery (Nick Lawrence, #3)
Death in the Dark Walk (John Rawlings, #1) Death at St. James's Palace (John Rawlings, #8) Death at Apothecaries' Hall (John Rawlings, #6) Death and the Cornish Fiddler (John Rawlings, #11) Death at the Beggar's Opera (John Rawlings, #2)