Start by marking “The Sopaths” as Want to Read:
The Sopaths

The Sopaths

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Killing children is an ugly business, but the alternative is so much uglier. Abner Slate just watched his five-year-old daughter, Olive, kill his wife and son. Olive is a sopath. Born without souls, sopaths are children who will lie, cheat, rape, and murder to get what they want. There's one in every family these days, destroying America's heartland from within. After murd ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Fantastic Planet Books (first published February 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sopaths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sopaths

Amanda
The fiction of Piers Anthony: twisting sex, self-loathing, and patriarchy into a sick lump at the back of my belly since 1995.

This is right up there with some of the choice short stories in Anthonology, which have stuck in my mind like the foulness of a rotting flower since I read them in early high school.

Insightful. Sickening. Psychological. Horrific, truly. Can't recommend it, but was mesmerized as one would be by a particularly grisly roadside accident scene from the first few pages. Lucki
Emory
Piers Anthony. Few writers have had as long and successful a career as he has. He is best known for his science fiction and fantasy works. In “The Sopaths,” however, he takes a remarkable turn towards horror. Not the blood-and-entrails variety, but a deeply disturbing, soul-searing narrative that will leave you more scarred than scared.

The premise is simple: overpopulation leads to children born without souls. In this world the soul is the seat of conscience, and the kids who are born lacking
Kelly Milligan
This was one of Piers Anthony greatest books. Although short , he takes you in and it is a horrible world that he takes you in. I loved this book as I have every book by Piers ,I wish it was longer or that Piers should right more about this subject ,but I have written to Piers and alas I don't think there will be . I would recomend that everyone buys this book ,and all others by Piers . I guarantee this will frieghten you But I see it as a good frieting .

Suz
I am sorry to say that I just did not enjoy this book. Not only was the subject matter disturbing, which normally isn't a big deal but some things I am just too socialized to deal with, but much of it was also very unbelievable.

I had trouble with suspension of disbelief throughout. I hate to say this because I have long been a Piers Anthony fan, but I did not enjoy this book any more than he apparently enjoyed writing it.
Joel Donald
I love seeing Piers mix it up and write a little horror, which is pretty extreme at times. The fact that heres a writer still going strong in his 70s writing challenging books and taking risks 150 books into the game is totally awesome and i give him 5 stars for it. i found the premise of the book to be interesting and the situations resulting very compelling. if you liked firefly, you would like this book.
Sir Lance
This was the most disturbing book I've read this year, and i don't mean that in a good way. I don't understand Mr. Anthony's obsession with pedophelia (first in the book Firefly), But if his intention was to shock the reader, I'll say he succeeded.
Priyanka Singh
One of the most bizarre, disturbing books I've ever read..
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jim Pike
Jim Pike marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Rhys Bevan
Rhys Bevan marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Gerard Holder
Gerard Holder marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Nicola Montague
Nicola Montague marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)