Start by marking “Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day” as Want to Read:
Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day

Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  273 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Waldorf mother and educator Shea Darian offers a unique and wonderfully creative guide to help parents and children forge a strong family bond. Weaving songs, stories, family rituals, and verses throughout, Darian shows how to bring joy to such daily events as mealtimes, going to bed, chores, naps, and playtime. A practical, creative, and much-needed resource for child-rea ...more
Published August 28th 1997 by Innisfree Press (first published August 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Times the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Times the Sun

Stephanie
Apr 09, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Here was the most powerful piece for me: "Homemaking is small gestures of usefulness and compassion; love made visible." - adapted from pages 80-81.

I loved it. Not only have I read it, I also plan on re-reading it.
MotherMagic
Apr 18, 2008 MotherMagic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
I am loving this! A Waldorf-inspired resource for homeschoolers and parents. Darian's chapters begin with poetic musings, like the very best of a mother's journal entries written just before dawn and the awakening of a family. Insightful and lyrical. Short and sweet thoughts, insights, and ideas for "transition rituals" and ways to honor and celebrate the parts of our daily lives... the waking up, the meal times, the bruised knees, bedtime, playtime, etc. Lots of Darian's original songs and vers ...more
Meg
Apr 24, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
Nice book about using daily rituals in families. Chapters are short and include: a brief commentary or two on the spiritual meaning of the topic (e.g. "Mealtimes"); some ideas for how to integrate spiritual practice into that part of the day; some prayers, blessings, and songs; and a fairy tale. The ideas for spiritual practice are nice (though not mostly new to me). The book includes a lot of original songs by the author, some of which I liked and others I didn't. (She has a thing about how pen ...more
Gilead Press
A long-time favorite of the Waldorf school comm-
unity, this is a one-of-a kind book, full of inspired
daily rituals, stories, songs, parenting wisdom
and practical advice to create peace in the family.
An invaluable resource for celebrating ordinary
moments of the day with children.

Companion Song CD available from www.gileadpress.net.
Tracy
Apr 11, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites on rhythm! So much inspiration in the form of story, song and verse. I love that the sections are short and manageable - I felt I could pick it up and put it down throughout the day. A must for Waldorf inspired folk
Eleny
Oct 16, 2011 Eleny rated it it was amazing
Very helpful. Full of wonderful songs, poems, and advice. It is something I use everyday.
Dionne
Oct 07, 2011 Dionne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing ideas of how to structure their day.
As I am fairly new to Waldorf education, I was pleasantly surprised in reading this book to find things I just did intuitively where highlighted throughout. This book helped me to clarify and refine the areas I was struggling with in my personal rhythm and gave me ideas for the weekend.
Lisa
Apr 10, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just what I was looking for to inspire me to focus on the rhythms of our day as a family. I love the blessings scattered throughout as well as the tips for creating your own personal rhythm.
Lapriel
Dec 26, 2010 Lapriel rated it really liked it
I like how this talks about the rhythms we have in life and how rhythms/traditions/schedules help to shape our lives. Rhythms also help us and our children know what to expect; gives us a sense of security.
Lori Ann
Apr 30, 2016 Lori Ann rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for homeschooling families I've read. Based on Waldorf Education theories, it is full of practical examples of songs, activities, games, rituals, and traditions to incorporate into family life that will help create a more peaceful, creative, and developmentally appropriate home environment for learning.
Julie123
Mar 26, 2014 Julie123 rated it it was amazing
As a nanny, dealing with many different families, I have found that when I use the rhythms explored in this wonderful book each child responds with an excitement. I have recommend this book to many families and each of them have made a point to let me know it has helped them greatly.
Molly
Jul 28, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenthood
The most useful sections of this book, for me, were the recommendations under each category--books to look into to celebrate elements of the day with your little one. Other than resources, not a lot of this book was new to me, but I still want to boost it with a higher star rating because it's a book I believe in. My own little has her own rhythm, and since I am a stay-at-home-mama, we can follow it (especially since it mimics my own), but once she starts school, be it preschool or kindergarten, ...more
Mar 28, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, activities-play
This was a sweet little book about creating rhythms and patterns to your day with your children. It's Waldorf based. I didn't find all of the information useful (I didn't necessarily need song or fairy tale recommendations) but I appreciate the reminder that it's good to slow down, enjoy your children, and include them in the everyday activities of your life.
Krystallina Paramithi
Nov 08, 2013 Krystallina Paramithi rated it it was amazing
Although the information in this book apply more to 2-3 year old kids and older, I believe that parents of babies (with a little imagination) can create their own rythms based on the ideas given by Shea. Very helpful book. It even helped me with my job as a kids entertainer.
Kaye
Oct 16, 2012 Kaye rated it liked it
This book contained a lot of good ideas on how to create ritual out of ordinary happenings. The only downer was the large quantity of songs throughout, but I think I only say that because I can't really read music.
Kristen
May 12, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: waldorf familys
Shelves: kids
I like the ideas in the book, but as a matter of practice I have not added many of them to our family rituals. Waldorf education is featured in this book.
Lisa
Jan 29, 2013 Lisa marked it as didn-t-finish
Shelves: bookshelf, parenting
We're reading this slooooowly, now, for a very relaxed book club on Facebook. Let me know if you'd like to join us and I'll add you to the group!
Holly
Mar 05, 2009 Holly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book had a few really wonderful things for children, particularly really little children. But the rest of the book was ho-hum.
K
Nov 10, 2008 K rated it really liked it
Lots of great ideas! The only thing is that I would really have liked an accompanying CD - it'd be easier to learn the songs that way.
Beth
Sep 27, 2011 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Not what I hoped for.
Katy
Mar 02, 2011 Katy rated it liked it
I thought this book had wonderful suggestions for creating rhythms of the day with your children.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Hannah Mcclelland
Hannah Mcclelland rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Terri Clark
Terri Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Taylor Baker-Gower
Taylor Baker-Gower is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Matt Schreiber
Matt Schreiber marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Kassy Pritchard
Kassy Pritchard is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2016
Dharma Mamas
Dharma Mamas rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • All Year Round: Christian Calendar of Celebrations
  • Festivals, Family, and Food: A Guide to Multi-Cultural Celebration
  • Creative Play for Your Toddler: Steiner Waldorf Expertise and Toy Projects for 2 - 4s
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Waldorf Education: A Family Guide
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • School as a Journey
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
Shea Darian is an author, family educator and multi-faith spiritual director. Shea's award-winning books include Sanctuaries of Childhood: Nurturing a Child’s Spiritual Life (Next Generation Book awards gold medalist & ForeWord Book of the Year finalist) and Living Passages for the Whole Family: Celebrating Rites of Passage from Birth to Adulthood (Nautilus Book Award Winner & Next Generat ...more
More about Shea Darian...