Start by marking “Gift Horse: A Lakota Story” as Want to Read:

Gift Horse: A Lakota Story

An action-packed coming-of-age story, Gift Horse is a wonderfully evocative introduction to 19th-century Native American life on the Great Plains. When his father gives him a gift horse, marking the beginning of his journey to manhood, Flying Cloud and the horse, Storm, spend their days hunting and roughhousing with the other boys and their horses. But when an enemy raidin ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Gift Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gift Horse

Miguel Torres barrios
Nov 25, 2013 Miguel Torres barrios rated it it was ok
It's a beautiful book, but the kids I have read it too soon forget and sooner loose interest in it. I think it's marketed more to adults who might like Native American-esque drawings and pictures exotic, but the story lacks inspiration, drama, or comedy, something that it's sorely needed in kids' books, not just something they will quickly forget.
Carmen Grace
Apr 16, 2016 Carmen Grace rated it really liked it
When I was paging through this book I was immediately captivated by the illustrations. The illustrations are vivid, engaging, and tell a story. Then when I read the book, I was captivated by it's beautiful language. I had never read this book before but I have throughly enjoyed it. I will be reading this in my future classrooms because it shows many characteristics including courage.
Sherri Anderson
This book tells the coming-of-age story of a young Lakota boy who is given a horse to begin his transition from a child to a courageous and skilled Lakota Warrior. The book is illustrated with bold, colorful figures that are “inspired by the style of the early Plains Indians”.

The main characters are Flying Cloud, our Lakota hero, and Storm, his faithful horse and best friend. Flying Cloud and Storm are interconnected throughout the story and face challenges together. When Flying Cloud is careles
Heather B.
Fly Cloud is gifted a horse by his father to help Fly Cloud progress him into a man and a Lakota warrior. Fly Cloud went through the steps and traditions on becoming a man with his horse, Storm, at his side. Fly Cloud did become a man and warrior; also he and Storm had many years of adventure and happiness. I recommend for early elementary children Kindergarten through 2nd grade. Published 1999.
Rosie LaJenky
Sep 05, 2016 Rosie LaJenky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a simple picture book, but for some reason I really, really enjoyed reading it, have even considered buying a copy for myself. The bright illustrations and Native American culture were fascinating, especially since I've been digging deep into the topic lately.
Jane
The illustrations are stunning, but the narrative is rather age specific -- meant to connect with a specific age demographic narratively, if that makes sense.
Corinne
Aug 02, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-ya
4 stars for the fantastic art but 2 start for the story. It lacked an engaging quality and I quickly resorted to skimming and looking at the pictures.
Georgianna
Georgianna rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2009
Anna Zbacnik
Anna Zbacnik rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Katerina
Katerina rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Danikan Cherry
Danikan Cherry rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Skye
Skye rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2016
Bobbi Greenfield
Bobbi Greenfield rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Amy
Dec 06, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
This books has great pictures and is really engaging for students.
Eileen Yen
Eileen Yen rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Luke
Luke rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Awjtf
Jul 23, 2013 Awjtf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: native-american
great native American j fiction!
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Kirsten Kosloske
Kirsten Kosloske rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Erin Farquhar
Erin Farquhar rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Anna Laura Cumani
Anna Laura Cumani rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2010
Wamble white eagle
Wamble white eagle rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2009
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it really liked it
Wonderful book.
Theresa
Aug 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Gift Horse: A Lakota Story
how the big dogs came to the lakota