Start by marking “Marty Feldman: The Biography of a Comedy Legend” as Want to Read:
Marty Feldman: The Biography of a Comedy Legend

Marty Feldman: The Biography of a Comedy Legend

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Mike Myers thinks he was “a genius”, while John Cleese regards him as “a true cultural icon”. He was an architect of British comedy, paving the way for Monty Python, and then became a major Hollywood star, forever remembered as Igor in Mel Brooks’Young Frankenstein. A writer, director, performer and true pioneer of his art, he died aged only 48.

His name was Marty Feldman,
Published October 25th 2011 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marty Feldman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marty Feldman

Debbie Zapata
Jun 17, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: douglas
Of course I remember Marty Feldman as Igor ("No, it's pronounced EYE-gor!") in the movie Young Frankenstein. I also have fuzzy memories of seeing him on various shows on television before that. But I never knew much about him except that he was from England.

This book introduced me to the real Marty Feldman: the street-wise kid who quit or was expelled from 13 schools before running away from home at age fifteen to live what was then known as a bohemian life in France. The jazz musician who knew
F.R.
Feb 22, 2016 F.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be a good biographer, one has to be a critical friend. One has to acknowledge flaws, recognise that not everything the subject did had merit, be ready to challenge those set in stone stories the subject told about their life. Although not quite hagiography, Robert Ross’s biography of Marty Feldman is too fawning to be anything other than a big old fan letter to its subject. Yes, Marty Feldman was a very funny man, but I’m not convinced that he was the timeless legend this biography makes him ...more
Douglas Lord
Awkward writing and a fawning tone ruin what could have been a great appreciation of underrated pop-eyed* actor/writer comedy genius Marty Feldman. Feldman’s 1970s fame came at the price of a couple of decades of energetically pursued misery, including stints as jazz-loving bohemian in Paris and in hundreds of crappy odd jobs, including book stealer, busker, dishwasher, trumpeter, and boot sole groover‚ whatever that is. Feldman’s early show biz work in dance halls sounds unbelievably dreary, th ...more
Aries
Feb 04, 2014 Aries rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biografie
Marty Feldman è un attore che chiunque appartenga alla mia generazione avrà visto almeno una volta, tipicamente in quel capolavoro comico che è Frankenstein Jr.: oltre a questo, però, molti (me incluso) non saprebbero dire.
Per questo motivo, oltre che per la mia smodata passione per quel film, quando in libreria ho incrociato la sua biografia ho colto al volo l'occasione, sperando di imparare qualcosa in più di quell'uomo tanto riconoscibile.
Quindi diciamo che se il mio scopo fosse stato solo qu
Frank
Jan 02, 2013 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I bei vecchi tempi sono belli solo quando sono passati.

La biografia di Marty Feldman ricalca la falsariga di molti altri personaggi famosi, in modo particolare dei comici: spesso l’uomo che va in scena è molto diverso da quello che vive il quotidiano e spesso l’allegria che riescono a trasmettere al pubblico non corrisponde a quella nel loro cuore.

Nel caso di Marty Feldman le cose stanno un po’ a metà; Robert Ross, autore del libro, racconta bene soprattutto l’adolescenza del ribelle Martin che
Tlingit
So far the writing is unclear in that certain terms that are not in use lately aren't explained well. I have to guess at what is being written about. And the inconsistencies like petty crime was in Marty's blood and yet he wasn't cut out to be villain; they don't make sense to me. So far these things are making it distracting to get into his story. The shame is it sounds like an interesting time but I can't understand half the story for the poorly described detail and the writing.
I give up. I th
Terry
Apr 29, 2016 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really insightful and interesting read. Fascinating to find out about Marty's early life, a real revelation, and his rather sad ending. It does show how fickle showbiz can be. A star today and nobody tomorrow.

I enjoyed Marty in his heyday, but think he never really surpassed his role as Igor in Young Frankenstein, but this book, excellently researched and written by Robert Ross, got me searching on You Tube to remind me how clever, inventive and prolific he was, both as a writer and an actor.
David
Sep 12, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleanskin
Not bad. An interesting character and not a bad biography with interesting comments by others
Heather
One of the best biographies I have ever read. I giggled from the start. Typical Marty Feldman.
Ian Palmer
Ian Palmer rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Joe Fay
Joe Fay rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Neil Wigglesworth
Neil Wigglesworth rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Phil Smifff
Phil Smifff marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
p a wilkinson
p a wilkinson rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Chris Esper
Chris Esper rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
Johnnyblue
Johnnyblue rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Mickey Asteriou
Mickey Asteriou marked it as to-read
Michael A Bain
Michael A Bain is currently reading it
elaine davison
elaine davison rated it liked it
Grazia Manuelli
Grazia Manuelli marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Johnny Marceaux
Johnny Marceaux is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
Martin Waugh
Martin Waugh is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2016
daniel m. abel
daniel m. abel is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
David Roach
David Roach rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Orchestre
Orchestre marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Robert Ross wears many different hats: consultant, researcher, writer and audio commentary moderator, working for television and radio.
More about Robert Ross...