Start by marking “The People of Pern” as Want to Read:
The People of Pern

The People of Pern (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  1,940 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Easy reading and plenty of colorful drawings.
Published November 1st 1988 by The Donning Company/Publishers (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The People of Pern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People of Pern

Rick
Dec 30, 2009 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: pern, art-photography
If you are a fan of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. This is a book you will probably cherish. While I cannot say that all of the artist's vision are exactly how I picture the various characters from many of McCaffrey's Pern books, they are often quite close.
What this book really represents though is the enormous devotion that fans of the series have for the characters and stories. This book is a testament to the impact that Pern has had on the lives of the readers who have become so captivated by
Kelsey
May 20, 2008 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Artists, Pern fans
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Mar 12, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Pern series
Shelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
Not a story, but a collection of drawings of the characters in the first several books of the series. Very enjoyable.
Lyns
Mar 17, 2017 Lyns rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I am totally blown away that everyone looks just like I pictured. Don't miss the back cover where Anne McCaffrey and Robin Wood are enjoying Robinton playing and singing.
Marsha
Mar 28, 2012 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts, owned-books
For those who remember the classic science fantasy novels of Anne McCaffrey (now sadly deceased), this book will be a treasure. A sumptuous, vibrant coffeetable book of McCaffrey’s alien series about the magical world of Pern, here are the various cast and characters given glorious color treatment, each with a small bio on the pages to let the reader know who’s who and what parts they play. This is a treat for McCaffrey fans that may have often wished that her books came with color illustrations ...more
Katrina
Mar 20, 2013 Katrina rated it it was amazing
I first came across this book when I was in elementary school and checked it out from the library every time I picked up a new (to me) Pern book. I loved looking up the characters and seeing how their portraits matched up to my mental pictures. Robin Wood has really outdone herself; the characters are almost exactly as described in the books (although I did expect the inimitable Oldive to be bit older). I was finally able to hunt down my own copy as an adult, and reading it is like coming home. ...more
Tess
May 15, 2014 Tess rated it really liked it
I love this book - the artwork is STUNNING and I love the descriptions given for characters. The one reason this cannot get a full 5 stars from me is that Menolly, my favorite character in the whole series, looks incredibly horsey. How did that happen? She wasn't supposed to be a beauty, but from the book covers she always looked prettier than in this illustration.

I highly recommend it to lovers of Pern. It's a great addition to the series.
Jessie Blackwood
Jul 19, 2010 Jessie Blackwood rated it it was amazing
Superb. Robin Wood is a master character artist and captures perfectly the characters Ann created in her iconic Pern series. Now for me, I am often leery of this kind of thing. When I read a book I form very specific images of the people I read about, and like films, art work can fall short of the mark. Not so this one. For me she hit the nail on the head about 90% of the time. There were a couple that didn't work for me, but the rest were fantastic.
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This was a fun book, full of illustrations of the dragonriders. I enjoyed the Pern books in junior high and high school and it was fun to find this one and enjoy browsing the pictures. My favorite was the portrait of Masterharper Robinton. It was also fun to see the illustrator and Ann McAffey painted into the picture on the back cover.
Hannah
Mar 19, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredible visual addition to the Dragonriders of Pern series. I love that the illustrations were painted/drawn with the corroboration and guidance of Anne McCaffrey herself, making them the most accurate depictions available to us. I only wish it was written more recently and so could include more characters from more books -- I'm hungry for more!
Feb 13, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Like many other reviewers, I was impressed by how close the illustrations were to what I imagined many of the main Pern characters to look like - even the ones that were dissimilar, Robin did a very good job giving them unique character. Each portrait has a great deal of personality showing through

Also, Robin's technique and style are excellent, very pleasing
Marita
Aug 18, 2010 Marita rated it liked it
Lovely pictures of Pern characters. It had been so long since I've read these books that I wish there would have been short reminders of what each of them did and in which book. It was fun to read though how this book come about. I would have loved to see more of Pern as well, but as the name says the focus was on people.
Leslie B
Aug 07, 2016 Leslie B rated it it was amazing
I treasure this book for so many reasons; while I can't say the artist captured the people as I necessarily saw them, it was so close. This put faces to my visions, it is wonderful. A lovely book to have, especially for PERN fans!
K. Chrisbacher
Apr 15, 2013 K. Chrisbacher rated it it was amazing
It is awesome to see the characters that I've imagined for years. Most, if not all of them met my expectations. This was a wonderful idea to have a book of the pictures of these characters we've all grown to love so dearly.
Kelly
Feb 18, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok
I can't say that these illustrations added anything to my concept of the people of PERN. The drawings and paintings, while beautiful, mostly don't match my mental descriptions so I'm sticking with what is in my head.
Amy
Aug 15, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Dude, you can't find this book anymore. My mom found it buried in a dusty "to be deleted" box at the library so I now have a copy. *Beams* Incredible, amazing pictures of all the Pern characters!
Murrrmaiyd
Feb 17, 2008 Murrrmaiyd rated it it was amazing
Robin Wood really captured exactly what I pictured of the characters with her artwork. I loved them so much that when I found out she also drew a Tarot deck I had to have that too, and it's now my favorite deck!
Lindsay
Sep 15, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Hard to get, but I absolutely love it!
Cassie
May 23, 2008 Cassie added it
Awusome book! Great addition to any Pern fan's library. In depth biographies of all major characters, each with an illustration of the character.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 23, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
Great reference book for the Pern series. Now you can see what all the characters look like. Recommended
Kate
Jan 19, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing
These illustrations perfectly capture how I thought the characters would look. I loved the small details in the pictures such as the artists name so perfectly integrated into the images.
Susan
Jun 21, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
The paintings and drawings of the characters in Anne McCaffrey's books were amazing. They gave image to words; they evoke emotion and are simply wonderful.
Gibreaux
Aug 25, 2010 Gibreaux rated it it was amazing
I found this book as a young man at the local library and loved it. When I grew up I searched for it for years. I have found a copy for myself, and hope that others are so lucky.
Shawna Clawson
Dec 30, 2010 Shawna Clawson rated it it was amazing
A musthave for readers of the Pern books!
LeeAnn
Nov 11, 2010 LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Fabulous artwork! This is a true gem.
Melissa Metz
Nov 30, 2014 Melissa Metz rated it it was amazing
I love this book and pull it out every time I read one of the Pern books. The art is amazing though I admit my favorite is the back cover.
Ayelet
Jan 16, 2012 Ayelet rated it it was amazing
This is more about the artwork than the writing but who wouldn't love it? Now I am back on a Pern binge.
Cab
Dec 04, 2008 Cab marked it as to-read
A guide book but I'm still interested.
Sheriann Bylund
Sheriann Bylund rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • A Diversity of Dragons
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic

Robin Wood (born 1953) is an American artist specializing in game art and fantasy. She is best known for her portraits of characters from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, the Robin Wood Tarot Deck and the cover art for several of Scott Cunningham's books on neo
More about Robin Wood...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)