The People of Pern

The People of Pern (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,207 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Easy reading and plenty of colorful drawings.
Published November 1st 1988 by The Donning Company/Publishers (first published January 1st 1988)

Kelsey
May 20, 2008 Kelsey rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Artists, Pern fans
Marsha
For those who remember the classic science fantasy novels of Anne McCaffrey (now sadly deceased), this book will be a treasure. A sumptuous, vibrant coffeetable book of McCaffrey’s alien series about the magical world of Pern, here are the various cast and characters given glorious color treatment, each with a small bio on the pages to let the reader know who’s who and what parts they play. This is a treat for McCaffrey fans that may have often wished that her books came with color illustrations...more
Katrina
I first came across this book when I was in elementary school and checked it out from the library every time I picked up a new (to me) Pern book. I loved looking up the characters and seeing how their portraits matched up to my mental pictures. Robin Wood has really outdone herself; the characters are almost exactly as described in the books (although I did expect the inimitable Oldive to be bit older). I was finally able to hunt down my own copy as an adult, and reading it is like coming home....more
Jessie Blackwood
Superb. Robin Wood is a master character artist and captures perfectly the characters Ann created in her iconic Pern series. Now for me, I am often leery of this kind of thing. When I read a book I form very specific images of the people I read about, and like films, art work can fall short of the mark. Not so this one. For me she hit the nail on the head about 90% of the time. There were a couple that didn't work for me, but the rest were fantastic.
Like many other reviewers, I was impressed by how close the illustrations were to what I imagined many of the main Pern characters to look like - even the ones that were dissimilar, Robin did a very good job giving them unique character. Each portrait has a great deal of personality showing through

Also, Robin's technique and style are excellent, very pleasing
Hannah
This book is an incredible visual addition to the Dragonriders of Pern series. I love that the illustrations were painted/drawn with the corroboration and guidance of Anne McCaffrey herself, making them the most accurate depictions available to us. I only wish it was written more recently and so could include more characters from more books -- I'm hungry for more!
Rebecca
This was a fun book, full of illustrations of the dragonriders. I enjoyed the Pern books in junior high and high school and it was fun to find this one and enjoy browsing the pictures. My favorite was the portrait of Masterharper Robinton. It was also fun to see the illustrator and Ann McAffey painted into the picture on the back cover.
Marita
Lovely pictures of Pern characters. It had been so long since I've read these books that I wish there would have been short reminders of what each of them did and in which book. It was fun to read though how this book come about. I would have loved to see more of Pern as well, but as the name says the focus was on people.
Kelly Chrisbacher
It is awesome to see the characters that I've imagined for years. Most, if not all of them met my expectations. This was a wonderful idea to have a book of the pictures of these characters we've all grown to love so dearly.
Murrrmaiyd
Robin Wood really captured exactly what I pictured of the characters with her artwork. I loved them so much that when I found out she also drew a Tarot deck I had to have that too, and it's now my favorite deck!
Amy
Aug 15, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Dude, you can't find this book anymore. My mom found it buried in a dusty "to be deleted" box at the library so I now have a copy. *Beams* Incredible, amazing pictures of all the Pern characters!
Gibreaux
I found this book as a young man at the local library and loved it. When I grew up I searched for it for years. I have found a copy for myself, and hope that others are so lucky.
Susan
The paintings and drawings of the characters in Anne McCaffrey's books were amazing. They gave image to words; they evoke emotion and are simply wonderful.
Cassie
May 23, 2008 Cassie added it
Awusome book! Great addition to any Pern fan's library. In depth biographies of all major characters, each with an illustration of the character.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Apr 15, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fans of the Pern series
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
Not a story, but a collection of drawings of the characters in the first several books of the series. Very enjoyable.
Ayelet
This is more about the artwork than the writing but who wouldn't love it? Now I am back on a Pern binge.
Theresa
great pictures and brief history of the beloved characters and ideals of the pern anthology
Susan
Mar 27, 2009 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
hardcover "book club edition" no ISBN on the book, has book club id # 14901
Shawna Clawson
A musthave for readers of the Pern books!
Cab
Dec 04, 2008 Cab marked it as to-read
A guide book but I'm still interested.
LeeAnn
Fabulous artwork! This is a true gem.
Kel
Love the pictures in this book!
Lindsay
Jul 15, 2013 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Hard to get, but I absolutely love it!
Robert
very informational
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Patti.mac
Patti.mac marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kara Herms
Kara Herms marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
John Kolesa
John Kolesa marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • A Diversity of Dragons
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic

Robin Wood (born 1953) is an American artist specializing in game art and fantasy. She is best known for her portraits of characters from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, the Robin Wood Tarot Deck and the cover art for several of Scott Cunningham's books on neo...more
More about Robin Wood...
When, Why ... If The Robin Wood Tarot Robin Wood Tarot: The Book The Theory Of Cat Gravity Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan...and Beyond: A Revised and Expanded Edition of the Classic Text