The Violin Man's Legacy

The Violin Man's Legacy

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Thriller with bloody twists and turns as ruthless killers meet their match in a former SAS hit squad.

Jack Calder is an ex-SAS soldier working with former colleagues at ISP, a specialist security firm. He is sent to investigate a murderous diamond heist in Holland, but swiftly learns that there is a very strong Far East connection. He then travels to Hong Kong where he meet...more
Published July 17th 2011 by SGC Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Violin Man's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Violin Man's Legacy

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan DoyleFiddler on the Roof by Joseph SteinZin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-PorterMole Music by David McPhail
Violin books
106th out of 113 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan Buchanan
I started reading this book months ago, but I wasn't really in the mood to read a thriller, so only came back to it a few weeks ago. The title and the cover of The Violin Man's Legacy, which has a picture of a gun on it, attracted me initially. I was intrigued as to what violins and guns had in common, as I am a big lover of classical music.

I love crime novels and thrillers, so thought I would give this one a go. I particularly liked that it had an international feel and as a keen traveller, I c...more
Alana Woods
This is a well-paced thriller packed with lots to keep an action reader happy. There’s intrigue and violence with just a touch of romance and sex to round the story out.

Jack Calder is ex-SAS now working for a security firm contracted to keep a Dutch diamond merchant’s goods safe from a Hong Kong triad doing its best to relieve the merchant of them. The triad isn’t particular who gets hurt or killed along the way. Jack and his colleagues, also ex-SAS, thought they’d left the risky life behind whe...more
Jane
Like retired footballers turning trainer, this story is about the professional soldiers, SAS and mercenaries, who retire into the security business, bringing their expertise in organised to the protection of legitimate businesses.
The main characters are solitary individuals, often with a personal tragedy in their baggage. This is a very shady world, where instant decisions are made about who dies and how, leaving no time for agonising over the whys and the wherefors. Morally, it’s all very easy...more
Dana Griffin
This is a complex story I enjoyed reading. The scenes and culture of England, Holland, and Hong Kong are described in such detail and flavor I felt the author must’ve lived there. The writing was crisp and efficient.

I gave this novel four stars because the characters could’ve been shown with more emotion. This caused the story to drag at times. Also, the author seemed to think several pages of character’s back stories, even minor ones, were important.

Otherwise, I’m glad I found this new author,...more
Clive Mullis
The Violin Man’s Legacy by Seamus Gallacher is fast paced, well written with nicely rounded characters. The story revolves around a security company, triads and gemstones. The action starts straight from page one and continues throughout with barely a pause.

Ex SAS Jack Calder is the main character in this testosterone driven, all action thriller. However, testosterone filled it may be, but Jack has another side as well. The body count is high, but this book also explores the psyche of Calder and...more
Alison Jack
For a while now I've been an avid follower of Seumas Gallacher's highly entertaining blog http://seumasgallacher.com/, and I really didn't know how the self-effacing writer of posts which are either hilariously funny or deeply compassionate could turn his hand to hard hitting thrillers. I still don't know how he does it, but I do know that he succeeds. The Violin Man's Legacy sets its stall out from the very beginning with an opening chapter to make the hardiest soul wince, but the book isn't al...more
Christoph Fischer
"The Violin Man's Legacy" by Seumas Gallacher is a solid thriller that follows the investigations into a diamond heist in Holland which may or may not be linked to another crime, but certainly is pointing towards Hong Kong and an organised crime ring there.
Jack, working for an International Security company, is leading the investigation with help by various interesting characters, such as May-Ling from Hong Kong and policemen from pre-1997 Hong Kong and Holland.It soon transpires that there are...more
Andrew
Our story opens with a Triad member being appropriately rewarded by his boss. Having illustrated the kind of bad guys we can expect, we see two ruthless robberies take place in Holland.

Our primary hero, Jack Calder, is a former SAS commando who is now working for a civilian security firm. We hear about the demons from his past, from having lost his father as a young boy. I didn’t think this issue seemed to add much to the story other than adding a human element to the character.

His boss sends hi...more
John Dolan
"An Adrenaline-Fuelled Romp"

OK, first I must confess I am reading Seumas Gallacher's Jack Calder series out of order - having previously read and reviewed "Vengeance Wears Black". The good news is that it doesn't make a lot of difference as each novel is stand-alone.

"The Violin Man's Legacy", however, contains useful backstory on Calder, the ex-SAS toughie from Glasgow, and some touching and heart-rending recollections about his father.

Otherwise this is an adrenaline-fuelled romp with triads, AK...more
Matthew Andrus
Loved this book

Seumas Gallacher has written one of the best books in this genre in a long time each page captivates the reader, willing you to carry on reading more and more.

The story follows one of ISP top employee's Jack Calder in an investigation into 2 diamond hiests in Holland that have unfortunatley lead to the death of one of his former SAS colleagues, Jack is on a mission to bring to justice the men responsible for his colleagues death. Jack is led the globe in search of justice.

I couldn...more
O. G. Tomes
May 21, 2012 O. G. Tomes rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to O. G. by: twitter
Readers, here is an author with a serious multifaceted ambiance that you should take notice of....

The Violin Man's Legacy:
Fast paced action that grabs you from the very first page mingles with spicy yet tasteful touches of steam to unwrinkle the investigative insights into the corporate world of security.

Travel around the world......
across Europe, to Hong Kong and South America as this arresting plot plays out.
No loose ends here readers and the 'legacy' will warm your heart with its honesty....more
Eric Gates
Another crackling read from this author. I quickly realised I’d read his two novels in reverse order, but no matter; this one is a great stand-alone tale in it’s own right. Two deadly robberies in Northern Europe are the detonating factors that whisk the protagonists overseas to Triad-infested Hong Kong then to the Bolivian border for an explosive finale to this fast-paced thriller. Looking forward to reading another by Gallacher.
Frank J.
Another fantastic thriller staring the ISP folks. This book is set in Europe, Asia and South America and comes with great descriptions of the different locations. This read kept me hooked from the word go. A very quick moving page turner. Looking forward to read much more from the ISP guys and lady..!
Ron Culley
I Enjoyed this book enormously. Gallacher has a fine nose for dialogue and the story line fairly bounds along. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes a little mystery in their books or distinctive police novels. I can see why he's such a popular writer.
Leslie
Pretty reasonable plot and the author kept the pace up all the way through. Dialogue was written in a bit of a stilted way but I suspect that may be regarded as a bit critical. All in all a decent addition to the genre.
Gary

A good fast paced thriller. I look forward to more by this author. The locales are well done. The characters trend towards stock but the plotting and interactions make it a fun read.
Karen Smyth
Really enjoyed this as a change to my usual chick-lit.
Looking forward to reading the follow up Vengeance Wears Black :-)
Theresa 'tish'
fabulous book! would recommend to everyone!! :)
Therese
Mar 13, 2013 Therese marked it as to-read
Recommended to Therese by: Marilyn
$0.0
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Bob
Bob added it
Jul 09, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Cjmcd5662
Cjmcd5662 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
SEUMAS GALLACHER escaped from the world of finance five years ago, after a career spanning three continents and five decades.

As the self-professed 'oldest computer Jurassic on the planet' his headlong immersion into the dizzy world of eBook publishing opened his eyes, mind, and pleasure to the joys of self-publishing. As a former businessman, he rapidly understood the concept of a writer's need t...more
More about Seumas Gallacher...
Vengeance Wears Black SAVAGE PAYBACK Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales The Blogger's Guide to Absolutely Nothing BLOGGERED