Start by marking “The Great Raid: Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor” as Want to Read:
The Great Raid: Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor

The Great Raid: Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor

Before General Douglas MacArthur could fulfill his stirring promise of "I shall return" and re-take the Philippines from Japanese control, a remarkable rescue mission would have to take place. Captured American soldiers had been held at the notorious Cabanatuan prison camp for more than 33 months. Emaciated and ill from brutal mistreatment, a mere 511 POWs remained from th ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1994 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Great Raid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Raid

Silvana
Feb 17, 2016 Silvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Although not as amazing as Band of Brothers (Stephen Ambrose), this book still has its own greatness. Yes, I think one or two years ago, there was a movie released that was based on this book (there's Benjamin Bratt, Joseph Fiennes in it), but the movie really sucked.

Anyway, this is compulsory for all you military history buffs. It tells about the greatest rescue mission in the history of US Army: the rescue of 511 POWs by US Rangers, Alamo Scout and Phillipine guerillas from the horrible Camp C
Rhianna Schoonover
One of my great grandfather's was rescued in the raid on Cabanatuan. I never got the chance to meet him, but through this book I learned a lot about the character of the men who fought to save him and hundreds of other mistreated, starved, abused POWs. From the Alamo Scouts to the Army Rangers to the Philippine Guerrillas, each and every man and woman and child that helped save those 300+ lives deserves to have their story known to the world. I'm grateful to Mr. Breuer for having written this bo ...more
David
Nov 11, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detailed and well-documented account of events leading up to the mission and of te rescue. I always learn so much about our history from reading accounts such as this one. I gave it four stars because it is a little dry and filled with references from individuals involved. Not that the references make it bad, they just make reading it less engulfing. I'm still glad I read this book!
Steve
Nov 25, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Besides Hampton Side's Ghost Soldiers, To me this is the second best book I have read about the POW rescue at Cabanatuan by the United States Army 6th Ranger division. I like how the events were broken down in a sequence of events. Many of the POW's in the camp were beaten, tortured, or were put to death by the Japanese. Lt. Col. Henry Mucci led the Rangers on the raid to rescue the POW's.
Barbara
Jun 16, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
I have been interested in the events on Bataan and Corregidor for some time. This book did not disappoint. I am stunned by the heroism of not only the Army Rangers but the prisoners they rescued.
Matthew
Apr 16, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great informative book, full of tales of courage, determination and bravery.
It is a real same how the POW were treated by the American government after returning.
Sylvia Andersen
Dec 02, 2014 Sylvia Andersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent account of the war in the Pacific and the horrors of internment camps run by the Japanese.
Elliotte Bagg
Nov 04, 2014 Elliotte Bagg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What an amazing story, what happened to Americans and Filipinos during WW2 at the hands of the Japanese is truly horrifying, and something that should be more well taught in school history classes. From the downfall of the Phillipines as the Japanese overtook it, to the resistance tactics and horrendous conditions of those suffering in POW camps or rounded up by the Japanese police, to the raid itself, is one of those slices of history that feels closer to fantastical fiction, the fact that it h ...more
Drew Davis
Aug 04, 2009 Drew Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of military history read this book. This true story is about the greatest generation's bravery, ingenuity, and courage in the rescuing of POW's held captive in the Philippines during World War II. The way in which the rescue operation was organized and executed is still used as the model for current special forces teams around the world. Not only does this book talk about the rescue of the POW's it delves into the lives of the POW's during their captivity and before and after th ...more
Kim
Jan 01, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fighting on Luzon in the Philippines from a slightly different perspective from Tears in the Darkness (TitD). It does represent a much kinder view of Gerneral MacArthur. It also describes the establishment of the Army Rangers and Alamo Scout companies of the war. I'm glad I read TitD first because it was more personal and made it easier to then expand out a little and understand the wheres and whos of this story. Nice read.
Erik Ronningen
Dec 27, 2011 Erik Ronningen rated it really liked it
Great book, incredible story. I was inspired by the way the Filipino natives readily gave up their most valued possessions to help the POWs, rather like what the church is supposed to do for each other.
Jennefer
Sep 02, 2007 Jennefer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've seen the movie you should read the book. There are important parts missing in the movie. You will have a better understanding of what the nurse does in the book. She is/was an amazing women.
Kathleen Anderson
Feb 07, 2014 Kathleen Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much about WWII in the Philippines, and read this book while we were living in Cebu. Also enjoyed the movie, but the book has a lot more info.
Andrea
Nov 04, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story. Probably needed to focus in more on the individual lives involved in the raid, rather than telling the whole story of WWII in the Phillipines.
Nicole
Feb 27, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this down. The book is great, the movie they made of it is not.
Gregg
Jan 16, 2013 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out slow, but in the end a good read.
Cody Bushee
this is a great books..lot of information
Anne
I laughed a little, I cried a lot.
Darryl
Darryl marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Gabriel Davis
Gabriel Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Sep 11, 2016
Gene Saunders
Gene Saunders rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Bill Colburn
Bill Colburn rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Melanie Stringham brandt
Melanie Stringham brandt marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Scott Sievert
Scott Sievert rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Al Lock
Al Lock rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Mitchell Sayre
Mitchell Sayre rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Joseph Lee
Joseph Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Deborah A. Davis
Deborah A. Davis rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • Prisoners of The Japanese: POWs of World War II in the Pacific
  • Serenade to the Big Bird
  • Hell's Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific
  • Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the Invasion of Japan, 1945-1947
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Guadalcanal Diary
  • China Marine: An Infantryman's Life After World War II
  • Here is Your War
  • Tarawa: The Incredible Story of One of World War II's Bloodiest Battles
  • No End Save Victory: Perspectives on World War II
  • The Thousand-Mile War: World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians
  • Dog Company: The Boys of Pointe du Hoc--the Rangers Who Accomplished D-Day's Toughest Mission and Led the Way across Europe
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth