Discardia: More Life, Less Stuff
read excerpt* *Different edition

Discardia: More Life, Less Stuff

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Let go of everything that doesn't make your life awesome!

With three key principles and numerous practical tips, Discardia--a new holiday--helps you solve specific issues, carve away the nonsense of physical objects, habits, or emotional baggage, and uncover what brings you joy.

Dinah Sanders, productivity and happiness coach, draws on many years of experience to provide a f...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Dinah Sanders

Dinah
Sep 29, 2011 Dinah added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well I like it, but then I wrote it. :)
Kristen
I love this book!

My husband teases me about all the self-help books I read. I'm not sure I'm going to need another after this one. Really.

I'd recommend reading it bits at a time over the course of a year - keeping up with the discardia holidays that come four times a year.

There are, however, immediate benefits. I put Discardia: More Life, Less Stuff in the bathroom last night and this evening my husband told me he'd gotten through two bags of his stuff, and thrown a lot away. These are bags th...more
Yvonne Stegall
I must honestly say that this is the best book I have received through First Reads so far. Even if you have read every de-clutter book out there and even if you think your home and life are clutter free, you can benefit from this book. Sure, you may read a bunch of stuff that you already knew, but you will also find random tidbits of info that you hadn't discovered elsewhere yet.

I was a pack rat, my mom is a pack rat and my grandma was a pack rat. I graduated from that "lifestyle," or "illness,"...more
Lucia
Written by a smarty-pants friend of mine, this book is helpful, motivating, chummy, and wise.
(I was proud to be one of the proofreaders/beta readers, before I got too sick to read for awhile there...)

Most Americans I know of could stand to read this book and put its concepts to work for themselves.
I found it smarter, more helpful, and less bullshit-complicated than books like 'Getting Things Done.'

Everybody needs this kind of help, not just hoarders and the organization-handicapped. I'm pretty...more
Stephanie
Not just another “throw out your crap” book.

The main principles - I am either generally quoting from the book or at least paraphrasing - are:

1. Decide and Do
Decide what belongs in your life and what does not.

2. Quality Over Quantity
It's not about denial; it's about being selective. Your time and attention are finite.

3. Perpetual Upgrade
Fine-tune your life! Little actions add up to big changes. In every possible moment, lean toward experiencing the good stuff.

* * * * *

The book includes SYMPTOMS (...more
Caroline Niziol
What a great book! This goes in the same category as Getting Things Donee -- it will need re-reading every few months or so. There were a ton of great ideas in this book beyond basic stuff decluttering that I know I will revisit it. Absolutely brilliant.
Kate
Really enjoyed this. Sanders has a great writing style - very "tell it like it is". Some good decluttering tips plus overall strategies for living a less cluttered life.
Jeremy Preacher
Discardia is basically the intersection of two books I am extremely fond of - Simplify Your Life by Elaine St. James and Getting things Done by David Allen, written in extremely accessible, intelligent prose, and aimed at modern middle-class people with white-collar jobs. (Not that there's not a lot in it that would work for, say, stay-at-home moms, but it's worth acknowledging that there are some class and technical-skill assumptions here.)

Sanders appears to hang out on the same parts of the in...more
Jenny
This was a neat read. Discardia is a holiday invented by the author which "helps you solve specific issues, carve away the nonsense of physical objects, habits, or emotional baggage, and uncover what brings you joy." Another look at simple living. Not just about physical hoarding/cluttering, but also how we can lighten our emotional/mental/time management load. She divides the year into quarters, focusing on a different aspect for each season. Some felt more relevant than others, but she had som...more
Doskoi_panda
I'll start this by saying I don't generally read self help books/life instruction manuals, etc. There isn't usually much by ways of entertainment or relaxation to be found in them, and I tend to read for pleasure rather than under the guise of grand self improvement. But a manual for cutting out the junk/baggage in my life seemed interesting, as I've been steadily working on that for the last few years (Books don't count against me in my ideal minimalistic world. I should point out that they are...more
Anetq
Maximise the stuff you love, what makes you happy and helps you move towards what you really really want! Minimize the stuff that doesn't. It's that simple! Yet so many of us could make ourselves so much happier, if we followed the advise (and practical ideas for getting started, keeping it up, and continuing to develop).
Great read! I especially liked the distinction between projects and changing habits - and their different criteria for succes. Also the simple point, that "what we want" change...more
Lois
I love reading these kinds of books (about living more, with less stuff, especially clutter of all kinds) for inspiration, especially at the beginning of a new year. They're really just filled with common sense things, but sometimes you just haven't thought of them yourself yet, or they give you a little reminder of things you can easily be doing to make your own world a little more pleasant. My favorite of these is "Its All Too Much" by Peter Walsh, but this is a close second.

Ivy
I get a lot of books from the library, as I feel it is important to use the public service, be environmentally responsible, read a variety of topics, etc. (blah, blah, blah) This book was full of well-written, useful and entertaining information regarding methods for making our lives simpler and more enjoyable as a result of that simplification. In a bizarre twist of irony, I want to purchase this book now.
Amendment (January 8, 2014): I have this out of the library again. Despite going on the Ch...more
Nicole
It took me forever to get through this book...because I'd read a little bit, and then want to go DO something, not just sit longer! I already use many of the concepts presented here, but it was great to see that there are others out there who think like I do. An excellent book for working your way through the mess of our houses, work, and lives one step at a time. My favorite quote was right at the beginning. "Don't worry about finishing, just START!" I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway...no...more
MaryNell
Dec 25, 2013 MaryNell marked it as started-but-couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Received from the author as part of GoodReads give away. So far I like that the author is down to earth anf funny about all the gobs of stuff that overwhelms us. I am starting to put up decorations for the holidays and am using her advice to only use what I love...aand if it causes too much stress, forget about it! The holidays will still be nice without it. If that's all I get from this book, it will be well worth it for a relaxed and lovely Christmas.
Sheri
While many of the concepts in Discardia weren't new to me, the gentle and cohesive way that they were presented made them seem fresh.

What's presented here is the ultimate "lifehack" - creating the life you want to have by optimizing the life that you do have. Discardia approaches this in a simple straightforward manner and I found myself implementing many of the ideas immediately with awesome results. This is definitely worth the read.
Donna
This is a great book !! Really gives you lots of incentive for clearing out all the "junk" in your life, author gives you motivation and a timeline and organizes just how you should begin the process and continue it for the year. Made me want to begin all the techniques and great tips right away ! If anyone is looking for guidance and a jump start in organizing your life, this is the book for you !
John
The book brings the philosophy of David Allen, Merlin Mann to a general audience. Readers not familiar with inbox zero, getting things done and other methods of de-cluttering our lives will find this book a great introduction to the process of living without stuff and tasks weighing us down. It was light breezy and very easy to read. One of the better general "simplicity" books I've read.
Christina
I highly recommend this book. I now practice and observe the holidays of Discardia. The author is both an organizer and life coach and she does have good points about letting go of things. I was tempted to buy a copy of the book but I think I'll keep checking out a copy from the library when I need a refresher. It seemed to contradict the book to own a copy.
Manda
I really loved this book! If you have clutter in your wardrobe, bookcase, cupboard, heart or mind, this book is for you!

Better than any other "decluttering" book I have ever read, this book is full of pithy advice and sensible strategies for overhauling your life and living space, I will read this book many times - I can tell :)
Jacob Standish
Great ideas for simplifying the clutter in your life.
Elke Sisco
a good re-read this time of year.
Hilary
I just couldn't get through this book. I think I expected it to be a short and somewhat prescriptive read, like, "On day 1 of Discardia we do this!" but it's not like that at all. It's quite long, and each chapter is a thoughtful reflection of some decluttering principle (including things like decluttering your friends, etc.). It's something that I generally enjoy, but I felt like the book lacked focus or theme, ad instead was just a very long series of essays that were loosely tied together. Wh...more
Anastasia
I don't actually recommend reading this book in its entirety, but it is definitely worth a skim or even some very focused reading of certain chapters. The title gave me the impression that the book is about getting rid of your excess junk, but the author strays far beyond that and offers advice about how to organize all aspects of your life. Some chapters held no salience for me, but I really appreciated the many different suggestions Sanders offered about how to cull your crap. And more than th...more
Lisa
This book is a hodge podge of tips for downsizing and reducing material possessions and advice on myriad aspects of living. The topics change direction abruptly, like the ball in a pinball machine ricocheting off bumpers. The comcept behind the organization of this information totally eluded me. Although she uses the "Discardian" calendar to head various sections of the book, the content of those sections seems totally random. Still, I did jot down several quotes and tidbits for future reference...more
Kjirstin
I think if I had my way, I'd rate the book section by section. Some of the sections were off-the-charts great, while some were merely "meh" and a couple were annoying. I preferred the practical tips to the "alter your attitude" sections, and found a lot of the advice about organizing your online life to be redundant (I read a lot of that online). There was enough that was good about this book that I'd recommend it to someone thinking about minimizing their cluttered life. Overall, I'd say your m...more
I bought this one a long time ago and finally set about to reading it - which I did in just a couple of days - and while maybe some of the advice is a little bit too rah-rah or redundant, it got me off my bottom and getting to doing things (unsent baby presents for a "baby" who is almost one? Done!) and getting rid of things and for that it deserves a standing ovation. If you feel stuck and discouraged I most definitely recommend it.
Anton Klink
Lots of good advice to simplify and streamline your life. Unfortunately the author obviously had a female reader in mind when writing the book, since a lot of the advice and the accompanying examples are extremely pink and fluffy. If you can turn a blind eye towards the overtly feminine approach, this can be an interesting read, but I'm sure there are better books out there on the topic.
Tara
Such a great book that validates my existence! My only complaint is that the author does not address landfill issues or the main premises behind reduce, reuse and recycle to meet my inner torment in times of discarding items. I cannot just trash something without feeling guilty- this is for items that are too worn to be passed on (charity-wise) or that don't recycle. What then??
hello_jamie
Aug 18, 2012 hello_jamie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
looking forward to ridding my life of stuff (both physical and emotional) that is not productive. to make room for more awesome. "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"... or both.
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • My Year of Living Fearlessly
  • Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five
  • The Water Children: A Novel
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • Never See Them Again
  • The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • Drifting House
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • Conversations and Cosmopolitans: Awkward Moments, Mixed Drinks, and How a Mother and Son Finally Shared Who They Really Are
  • A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for Planning a Beautiful, Affordable, and Meaningful Celebration
  • Living a Beautiful Life
  • The Long Night: William L. Shirer and the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
  • Crazy: Notes On and Off the Couch
Currently self-employed as a writer, I hold degrees in History and Library Science. I put these skills to work on cocktail history and taxonomy in The Art of the Shim: Low-Alcohol Cocktails to Keep You Level and on the Bibulo.us blog. My first book, Discardia: More Life, Less Stuff, explored letting go of what doesn't make life awesome.

Dinah's Projects

Bibulo.us
Bibulo.us brings my 'quality over qua...more
More about Dinah Sanders...
The Art of the Shim: Low-Alcohol Cocktails to Keep You Level

“There is no need to hold on to what's obsolete: One never loses what one tosses away deliberately.” 3 likes
“Get some perspective. A lot of things that may aggravate you only do so because you have the luxury of not wrestling with bigger issues. Today, be thankful for everything you have: being alive, your friends and family, your health, a roof over your head, something to eat, clean water to drink, indoor plumbing, heating, air conditioning, clothes, shoes, a job, and freedoms. Many, many people have it worse.” 0 likes