Start by marking “Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques” as Want to Read:
Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques

Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques

Breaking the Surface Pondering how to begin a new piece of art? Surface Treatment Workshop has the answer! The authors of Image Transfer Workshop are back to show you 45 stepped-out mixed-media techniques that will add depth and texture to your artwork. These techniques are the perfect jump-off point for creating art you will love to look at, and, in some cases, touch!

In t
Published April 1st 2011 by North Light Books (first published February 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Surface Treatment Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surface Treatment Workshop

liberal sprinkles
What an incredible book this is to learn about different ways of creating mixed-media art. The book covers a lot of techniques, many of which I haven't seen in other art or mixed media books. And you really get bang for your bucks as the authors list (though not in detail) several variations you can try with each technique.

The 45 techniques taught are categorized as additives (drawing grounds, ventilation tape, skins and shaving foam are some I found more unusual), resist (petroleum jelly, rubbi
Jo
Apr 14, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good primer for mixed media work. Has the standard techniques plus some innovative and interesting new ones too. Recommended for all levels of experience.
Marie Z. Johansen
I love this book! I was hesitant about it because the author's previous book "Image Transfer Workshop" is, in my humble opinion, one of the best books I've invested in (and I invest a lot in books!) and I wasn't sure that a new book could live up to that opinion. I am SO happy to report that this book is another home run, totally out-of-the-ball park winner of a book.

The lay out is very well considered and the instructions are superlative - perfectly illustrated with photos that relate directly
Melody
Jan 11, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into collage or mixed media arts
Shelves: art
some great basics to get you going. I would have liked a few more pages and details on each treatment. In one section there is a mention of water-slide transfer and I flipped back forth round and round to find what the hell that was and couldn't find out...it might be there and I'm missing it...but still, I heard of things like "fiber paste" that I'd never heard of and learned ways to use my gel medium stuff...i learned a lot from this book. Got a lot of ideas and inspiration. Just wish it had m ...more
Judy
Nov 25, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts-crafts
There are loads of great ideas here for creating surfaces with texture and depth. Each technique is explained with supply lists and examples of different ways of using the techniques. The book finishes up with explanation of some examples done by the authors combining different techniques for inspiration. Im not sure I will be able to get all the supplies used in this book here in Spain, but Im tucking away the ideas for the future. ...more
Rikelle
Jul 27, 2012 Rikelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent reference for any artist. Great pictures, detailed instructions and examples. There are some very interesting techniques that I haven't seen in other books. I am excited to try some out.
Doaa
Dec 28, 2013 Doaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well,, i didn't try any technique yet,,
but i enjoyed reading this book,,
and some techniques gave really interesting results so i can't wait to try it,, :)
4 stars because some techniques weren't awesome :D
Darby
Apr 09, 2013 Darby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-crafts, library, 2013
I only gave this book 2 stars because I felt the instructions on each treatment/technique lacked. The instructions weren't complete and when attempting techniques - they didn't turn out. To get ideas to experiment on your own without the instructions is probably the best way to use this book.
Palma
Jul 27, 2012 Palma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn how to vreate many different kinds of textures then this is on of the books to buy. It is filled with images and very inspirational.

A great book and very well written . Highly recommended.
Rebecca
A very usable collection of ideas for making a variety of surfaces for mixed media pieces. The only limit is your time and imagination in how these are combined and put to use.
Carol
May 22, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a prize from Rice Freeman-Zachery's fabulous blog http://voodoonotes.blogspot.com. Lots of great ideas in this book; so glad to have it in my arsenal. Thanks Rice!
Laura Lawless
Informative and inspiring. A great reference.
Lester
Lester rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Denise Fuson
Denise Fuson rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Vikki
Vikki rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Kweli
Kweli rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Sher
Sher rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Mr John D Leech
Mr John D Leech rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Alienbein
Alienbein rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Malvine Wolf
Malvine Wolf rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Karyl Knee
Karyl Knee rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2017
Ezgi
Ezgi rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2016
Odile
Odile rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Booklover
Booklover rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2017
Kitty
Kitty rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Lissa Joy
Lissa Joy rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Lanette
Lanette rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Dan Eldon: Safari as a Way of Life
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form
  • Drawn to Stitch: Line, Drawing, and Mark-Making in Textile Art
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression