Start by marking “The Invisible Hero” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Hero

The Invisible Hero

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Philip has spent his whole life at school either being invisible or being called stupid. He’s used to being the loner, the odd one out, the boy who lives with his nan.

So when Philip’s class is given a school assignment to write about heroes and villains, the project causes conflict in the classroom as everyone weighs in on the debate.

For the first time, Philip has the op
Published August 1st 2011 by UQP

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Hero

Watermelon Daisy

The Invisible Hero was a unique concept, but seemed overused by the end.

It was a little too stereotypical for my tastes. All the characters seemed to fit within a certain base and none of them had personalities/traits outside their given stereotype. We have the generous losers, the horrible popular kids, the new girl who people either hate/love, and random kids scattered around without extra personalities.

That said, I did enjoy the format of this book, although I doubt ninth graders would write
Klara Louise
How do I write a review for this amazing, troubling, perfect and horrifying book?

I guess what glued me in first was that I could identify characters with myself, my family and my school community. The bully, the loners, the outsiders, the newbie, the happy-go-lucky and the confused. While I read this book I felt like I was at school and this was happening around me and it also inspired me into what I would like to study for my year 12 research project next year.

I recomended this book to middle a
Harry Chester
I loved this book it was a bit confusing at first but it got really good towards the end, great book
Neisha
In the end this book became really interesting i actually enjoyed reading it, this book wasn't a book i would pick up if i didn't have to read it for school but it was a book that really opened up my eyes to a lot of different people in the world and helped me learn to respect those people in a whole new way. Another really cool thing was that it was written by a women in Melbourne that lives some what close to me. :) Definitely recommend if your looking for a heart touching kind of read.
Alexandra Logan
The Year Nine class is given an assignment to keep a diary about heroes and villians and then make a presentation on a chosen hero/villain. Through the diary we see the bullying school yard villains and the undervalued heroes finally rising up.

Easy to read. A quiet little story which tells of some big issues. I like the use of diary entries from multiple characters as the story telling means. A David and Goliath story where you really are backing the underdog.
Cheryl
Fantastic. Best book I read this year. Should be compulsory reading for kids 11 years and up. I really liked the mix of characters. I think there is someone there that anybody could relate too. The writing style is eloquent but accessible. The style is similar to Morris Gleitzman. I laughed, I cried and really enjoyed myself. People will a lot about historical characters, but more importantly you learn about yourself. Fantastic!
Lauren
Didn't really enjoy this book that much. I might have enjoyed it more if I just read it normally, instead of having to analyse it for a term for school.
Chantal
It is probably the teacher in me that loves this story, and cringes in many places.
Themes include: bullying, fitting in, belonging, heroes, villians, school, family, consequences, standing up for what you believe in, history.
Journal/diary entries by each character build great pictures of them and their lives.
Kavita
I read this book in a day, but it was so good. It is a great message for bullying and it touched my heart. I recommend it highly and it is now one of my favorites, and I hope the whole world reads it, it is honestly an awesome book.
Michael
A really clever structure; many people will be hooked into the plot-line. However, it can be very slow paced -- it is sprinkled with trivia every now and then. There's also a great, satisfying ending to this fine novel.
Mrs Child
Great read and clever format. Author steadily built each character's personality and you couldn't help but dislike some and empathise with others. I think this would make a good novel study!
Garin College
Written in the form of a class's journals as they undertake research for a project on heroes and villians, this is a powerful look at both school life and bullying.
Lucie C
This book started off slow it did not pick up until near the ending. I enjoyed reading the book in the journal format with All the different opinions.
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Kaoru Ogawa
Kaoru Ogawa marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Jorja
Jorja marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 07, 2015
J
J added it
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Elizabeth Fensham is an Australian writer and school teacher. She grew up in Sydney and now lives in Victoria's Dandenong Ranges. Her first novel, Helicopter Man, won the Australian Children's Book Council's Book of the Year for Younger Readers in 2006. Miss McAllister's Ghost achieved a CBCA Notable Award in 2009. Her third novel, Goodbye Jamie Boyd, which deals with the sensitive issue of a teen ...more
More about Elizabeth Fensham...
Helicopter Man Matty Forever Goodbye Jamie Boyd My Dog Doesn't Like Me Miss Mcallister's Ghost