Circle of Silence (WiHi, #2)

Circle of Silence (WiHi #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  74 reviews
The biggest story of my life could be how it ends

It’s my turn to run a Campus News crew, and I’ve put together a team that can break stories wide open. And Washington Irving High has a truly great one to cover, if only we can find a lead.

A secret society has formed in our school. It announced its presence with pranks: underwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hallway, cry...more
Published July 24th 2012 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Circle of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle of Silence

Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
107th out of 144 books — 844 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisHallowed by Cynthia HandThe Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
2012 Sophomore YA Releases
70th out of 92 books — 404 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Rachel♥

This was heart poundingly good!

Seventeen year-old Valerie Gaines prime focus in life is to find and amazing news story that will propel her into the college of her dreams. Being a news reporter is a goal she’s been working on since the eighth grade. So when a series of bizarre school pranks happens, Valerie thinks she may have struck reporter gold. The first and second pranks seem harmless but the third one hints at more sinister things to come, and they are all signed by MP. Who or what is MP?...more
Giselle
As an avid reader of mysteries and thrillers, and after really enjoying Carol's other novel, Dancergirl --Circle of Silence's companion--, this one has been high on my anticipated reads of the year. Regardless of me giving it a 3-star rating, I did truly enjoy it, where it lost its flair on me is on a more individual standpoint which may not be of concern for most readers.

For one, I felt very distant from out protagonist, Valerie. The journalism aspect is interesting, but I felt like some of th...more
Mands
4.5

Circle of Silence by Carol M Tanzman is the second book in the WiHi series but can be read as a standalone. Set at Washington Irving High School in Brooklyn Heights, Circle of Silence focuses on high school journalist, Valerie Gaines. She’s been made producer of a Campus News Crew and is eager to show that she is the right person for the job. When random pranks start occurring at school on Valerie, as well as other students, and things get very serious.

Before requesting Circle of Silence, I...more
Kris
Carol M. Tanzman has a gift for writing contemporary stories that explore the real, gritty side of high school life in a way that keeps the reader captivated and hanging onto her every word. Honestly, I'm not fond of the synopsis. It doesn't capture the thrill and shivers and dread that I felt while reading this book. It doesn't capture the essence of the story as did the synopsis for dancergirl (WiHi #1). However, I had read dancergirl, and I remembered how much I loved that book. With high exp...more
A Book Vacation
This is a highly entertaining, well written mystery novel that kept my attention from start to finish. All the characters were amazing, and I loved trying to figure out the truth behind MP and their pranks, which become more sadistic as they continue. Tanzman really is a gifted storyteller, and I can’t wait to read more by her as I anticipate her other novel, Dancergirl, is probably just as riveting.

I really love Valerie. Yes, she makes a few really stupid decisions all in the name of a story, b...more
Elora Tocci
I couldn't put this book down! The story pulled me in right from the beginning and never let go. I was dying to figure out who secret society MP was (I thought I had it figured out midway through the book, but then I decided I was definitely wrong. Turns out my initial guess was right, even though I ruled it out!). I loved that the story is told from the news team's point of view and MP's point of view -- it keeps the tension going throughout the whole book.

As for the romance aspect of the stor...more
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Book Blog)
Valerie is finally getting her chance to run a news crew for Campus News at the H.S. TV station. Also there's the chance to go for that Student Emmy, which would certainly set her apart from other college applicants. And as luck would have it, there's a secret club of students pulling pranks that are becoming more and more dangerous... breaking a story like this would certainly put her ahead right? But then there's the issue of her slacker/cheater-ex being put on her team at the last minute, and...more
Michelle
Circle of Silence arrived on my desk a while back and I fell in love with the blurb on the back as well as the cover. It drew me in with the promise of suspense and a mystery to unravel. Unfortunately for me I couldn’t drop everything and devour the book as I would have liked so I placed it in the pile, knowing that its time would come, and this week I was finally able to pick it up.

I would have loved to sit and devour Circle of Silence in a sitting but it’s been an extremely hectic week in my h...more
Soma "Insomnia Of Books"
I am a huge fan of thrillers and mysteries. I love it when the book makes me think deeply about something, or discover who is behind something. I read so MANY mixed reviews about Circle of Silence, that I just HAD to try it. And proudly, I am on the good side :) By the way, do I have to remind you? I was not paid to write a positive review, all ideas expressed are mine and mine only. Now, for the review...
Valarie Gaines (what a CUTE name!) has always had a dream. To win a scholarship for journ...more
Lauren Murphy
Valerie Gaines (a.k.a ValGal) has just been appointed producer of the Campus News B Team crew at Washington Irving High and is determined to cover a big story to get her into college. She is thrilled to be teamed up with dedicated students, including her best friend Marci until Jagger, Valerie’s ex-boyfriend makes a late entrance and is also assigned to the B team. Valerie struggles to be indifferent to Jagger’s charm but her desire to succeed in her position pushes her through any unease.

An un...more
Carrie Ardoin
Valerie Gaines is determined to rock her school's airwaves during her senior year. She is a member of the Campus News team, and dedicated to becoming a real life journalist when she gets older. Her concentration is broken when her cheating ex, Jagger, joins her class and she is forced to work with him.

Soon, the Campus News team has lots to report on: a group called MP is pulling ridiculous pranks and defacing school property. But when Val tries to investigate, she gets threatened. Never one to b...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

A strong heroine in a riveting thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire duration of the book. Stays true to teen’s voices, and has a realistic main character who struggles with real issues. Suspenseful and atmospheric.
Kim
This book was incredible. I've never really thought of myself as a lover of mystery-thriller books - I've always been so romance and supernatural focused. Not that the books I read don't often involve a mystery, but they're not the main focus. Circle of Silence has definitely changed that for me. A dark, dangerous and twisted mystery story that I just could not put down.

I loved the emotion and action in this book. I was so attached to everyone. After a very shocking scene towards the end of the...more
Jennifer Maloney
This book sounded so good which I picked it out, but I don't know how much more of it I can read. I have pushed myself to get through chapter 7, largely because this is a review copy and I feel like I owe them at least that much. I mean, this is about a secret society in a NYC high school! -- this should be a really intriguing topic -- but so far it hasn't delivered.

Most of the action is seen through the eyes of a whiny school-news producer, Val. We see her eating dinner, fighting with her siste...more
Louisa
Oh, this was a great book, lots of mystery, and tinges of romance, and danger, and it's just really good! Really enjoyed it!
Danny
This was a great read!!! The characters were awesome and the plot mysterious enough to keep the pages turning!
:-)
PickyReader
Actual rating, 3.55

I'm so glad I completed this book! I had my doubts because I did not like this book's successor, dancergirl. I was expecting a similar writing style and character as dancergirl, and I was pleasantly surprised!

This character was not annoying! Although many of the other characters in this book were seemingly shallow or pointless, this character had purpose as well as personality. She was also a relentless reporter, which is something fresh to read. I did not understand why the h...more
Bookworm1858
I saw this on Netgalley and decided to take a shot on something new. After researching it, I discovered that it was a companion novel to dancergirl but made you do not have to read the first book. This one made perfect sense as a standalone to me. In fact it does a great job as I now want to read dancergirl and I will be keeping an eye out for more books in the series (*fingers crossed*).

So what is this book about? It is about a secret society that springs up with journalist Val Gaines and her c...more
A Beautiful Madness
If there’s one thing I can say about this book, it’s that it’s a great mystery. I couldn’t really predict who MP was, who were part of the group, which is always a positive things. (I do have to say that I had guessed one of the members before the end of the book.) It is a little disappointing when at the middle of the book, you already now who the bad guys are. Skeletor is seriously something. He is quite scary when you realized how far he is ready to go.

Now, Valerie is the kind of stubborn cha...more
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Valerie Gaines is finally getting the chance to run one of the crews at Campus News, for her high school. Val takes reporting very seriously, so when a mysterious person or group calling themself 'MP' starts to play pranks (undwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hall, a box for new member applications) she definitely wants to be the one to crack the case. Especially after the one of the new initiates lands in the hospital with serious injuries and refuses to talk to anyone about what really ha...more
Hannah
I really enjoyed dancergirl, so I was very excited for this one. (Cirlce of Silence is the companion to dancergirl - have I mentioned lately that I love companion novels?) Circle of Silence started kind of slow for me, but the rest of the book is just as great as dancergirl!

What I loved most about dancergirl was the creepy atmosphere, so I was a little disappointed to see that lacking in the first half of Circle of Silence. It just didn't seem as menacing and dangerous as dancergirl did - MP (th...more
Christy (Christy's Book Addiction)
Valerie Gaines is a senior at Washington Irving High School; she’s also the producer for Campus News! A school news segment that advanced TV production students direct and produces, it airs during class once a week. Val’s team winds up working on a story about a group of pranksters (MP) that have recently showed up. At first the pranks seem like harmless fun, but as time goes on, they change; they get bolder with each prank. When Val gets a little too close for comfort for MP, they start targeti...more
Amber
Review based on ARC. Merci Harlequin Teen et Netgalley!

Carol Tanzman surprised me with dancergirl so I was extremely excited when I was approved on netgalley for a review copy. Despite it's slow start, I really enjoyed this book.

Valerie Gaines is a school news reporter hoping to get a big break. She thinks she has it when an anonymous group called MP starts pulling little pranks, Valerie is excited to uncover what the group wants and who they really are. The plot moves at a similar pace to dan...more
Sharon
More of my reviews @ www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Circle of Silence is the second book in the WiHi series by Carol M. Tanzman and was kindly provided to me by Harlequin Teen; it was an entertaining, thrilling and suspense filled read which kept me turning the pages.

Valerie ‘ValGal’ Gaines is trying to prove herself worthy of running Campus News at Washington Irving High School by getting the most newsworthy stories and being the best reporter. When a few pranks are pulled by a secret group...more
Kimberly
Circle of Silence is not your typical YA mystery, it’s a little on the darker side. The MP begins by doing a harmless prank and it spirals downhill from there to people getting hurt. Val and her fellow news team are determined to find out whose behind it and why.

The best part of the book for me was the mystery. Every few chapters there is a section from the leader of MP and you can see the crazy get exponentially more crazy each time you read from their perspective.

The Characters were ok. None...more
Liz
Amazing, absolutely amazing. It's been a extremely long time since I've read a book that kept me on my toes like this one did. Valerie Gaines is a high-school senior and the producer of her school's news team. The team begins to investigate mysterious pranks turning up around the school, all done by a group who call themselves MP. It all makes for an interesting,mildly amusing story to report, until the pranks take on a creep factor. Plastic body parts hanging around the school, dead birds in lo...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a temporary e-galley from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I didn't know this was a sequel until I had finished reading this one so you can definitely read it as a stand-alone novel.

I'll admit to being curious to see what happens in the first one now. I'll have to go back and read that one.

But let's get into what I thought of this book. I picked it up because it was a bout journal...more
Erica

Circle of Silence by Carol Tanzman was a book of pure awesome. I loved every page of it. It was enticing, thrilling, and one heck of a story! I am very excited to see more from Carol Tanzman in the future!

Journalism and broadcasting is fascinating to me. Since I was a little girl, I have always loved the idea of sleuthing and reporting. Still today I am obsessed with mysteries. I love putting those pieces together and Carol Tanzman does a fantastic job with her storytelling. The plot is...more
roxtao
Circle of silence is mixing the characteristics of the detective fiction with the ones of the young adult literature. Valerie Gaines is a news reporter in her high-school. When a secret society begins to signal their presence by some tricks, Valerie is intrigued by the story and tries to find out who are the clan’s members. But everything happens to quickly, and from the innocent tricks to some fatal initiations, there’s just a tiny step. And the lives of some close friends of Valerie are in dan...more
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
The minute I found out about Circle of Silence I knew I had to read it. I really enjoyed Dancer Girl and I like how Circle of Silence is set in the same school. The first pages into the book are the prologue, which grabs your attention from the get go and you HAVE to keep reading to find out what led up to this event.

Valerie Gaines is the protagonist, she is the producer for Team B campus news, and together with her friend Marci, ex boyfriend Jagger and a few other students they produce news seg...more
  • Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1)
  • Since You Left Me
  • Narc
  • Radiate
  • New Girl
  • Torn
  • Breaking Lauren (Lauren, #1)
  • Starring Me
  • Severance (Volition, #2)
  • Temptation (Temptation, #1)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words
  • Sacrifice (Legacy, #3)
  • Holding on to Zoe
  • Hanging by a Thread
  • Refuge
  • Gift
  • The Color of Snow
Carol Tanzman is the author of the contemporary YA novels DANCERGIRL and CIRCLE OF SILENCE, published by Harlequin Teen. Her first novel, THE SHADOW PLACE was an ALA Quick Pick book. She is an award-winning theatre director, a nationally recognized arts educator, and has been honored (twice) by the Bravo Awards. She also loves to swing dance!

DANCERGIRL and CIRCLE OF SILENCE are contemporary thrill...more
More about Carol M. Tanzman...
dancergirl (WiHi, #1) The Shadow Place (Single Titles)