Start by marking “Forgiveness Parade” as Want to Read:
Forgiveness Parade

Forgiveness Parade

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

In Jeffrey McDaniel's second book, it is hard to separate the humor from the pain. Both qualities are omnipresent whether he's tackling dysfunctional family memories in 'The Most Awful Lullaby', or broken-hearted romance in poems like 'Another Long Day in the Office of Dreams'.
Published October 1st 1998 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Forgiveness Parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgiveness Parade

September Verses by Hunter S. JonesA World of Verse by Christopher  ShieldsMeeting With Christ and Other Poems by Deepak ChaswalA Poet's Journey by Marta Moran BishopFrom me to you by Elle Amberley
Contemporary Poetry
113th out of 147 books — 169 voters
Before I Die by Jenny DownhamThe Wishing Hill by Holly RobinsonThe Sound of Letting Go by Stasia Ward KehoeFalling Apart in One Piece by Stacy MorrisonThe Next Thing on My List by Jill Smolinski
Dandelion Puffs
37th out of 49 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Snehal Bhagat
Jan 04, 2009 Snehal Bhagat rated it it was ok
This book has been rated highly by many so some justification is in order here. I picked this up having read a few McDaniel poems online, such as The Scars of Utopia and The Quiet World . Both are wonderful poems, original and thought-provoking. The latter in particular, with its context established so well in the commentary accompanying the poem, makes a convincing argument for the idea that even democratically elected governments can subjugate their peoples through measures designed with se ...more
Sanne
Nov 13, 2011 Sanne rated it it was amazing
I don't like poetry, I don't like poems.

This however touched something inside me. May have to go and rethink some basic principles.
Tishon
Aug 24, 2010 Tishon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book contains the poem "The Quiet World." Look it up. It's brilliant. Easily my favorite poem of any I've ever read.
Valerie
Feb 27, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because someone read a poem from it (The poem is "The Quiet World," and I included a link to it at the end of my review), and I liked it so much, I checked the book out from the library. The person who read the poem said that McDaniel got his start in the slam poetry world and then implied that he sold out by publishing books in the literary poetry world.

I think McDaniel's poetry has the best of both worlds, his poems are vibrant and entertaining, they would be great at po
Carina Santos
Apr 09, 2011 Carina Santos rated it really liked it
Interesting to see other themes and topics (eg family and childhood) that are rarely ever part of his more popular pieces that have been making rounds on the Internet. While obviously talented—McDaniel is a wordsmith!—there is a lack of thematic unity and cohesion that would tie these poems together as a collection. On their own, there are a lot of poems that are beautiful. Taken together, it represents a somewhat weak collection that have beautifully written poems that have very little to do wi ...more
Erin
May 29, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Breathtaking ... the kind where you try to breathe while laughing and crying at the same time.
Corrinne
Aug 01, 2011 Corrinne rated it it was amazing
An unbelievable poet with a voice that represents everything it means to be young, contemporary, and reckless. It has been a long time since I was this impressed by a poet. The attitude behind his work is tangible and turns him into this renegade poet. Everyone loves a bad boy...
Angeline Lee
Jan 28, 2015 Angeline Lee rated it it was amazing
This book is an experience. Jeffrey McDaniel has achieved nothing short of brilliance with The Forgiveness Parade, beautifully stringing words together into something capable of arousing every one of your senses, one at a time. I won't be forgetting this one for a while. 5/5
Justin
Sep 26, 2011 Justin rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of poetry, one of my favorites of all time. It looks through a cracked lens and dysfunctional families and gritty urban life. The language is wonderfully weird without being opaque in the way some modern poetry can be. I highly recommend it.
Sonya Feher
Jun 29, 2008 Sonya Feher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Though some of the professors in my MFA program vehemently disagreed with me, poetry can be funny and well written. Jeffrey McDaniel is a master of irony, quiet self-deprecation, and twisting our expectations of everyday objects.
D'Anne
Feb 09, 2008 D'Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Recurring images. etc. include: guns, masturbation, the moon, plumbers, heels, rats, blood, alcohol, uncles, funerals, drugs, love, hurricanes, scars, sleeping, thighs, sky, trains, paintbrushes, women hearts, heads ears.

Lucy
Jan 25, 2013 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
sometimes he relies too much on his weirdass imagery but mostly it is good
between 3&4
Alex L.
Nov 07, 2012 Alex L. rated it it was amazing
This is poetry for those of us who like the flavour of never-was.
Gary McDowell
Aug 13, 2007 Gary McDowell rated it liked it
Shelves: ho-hum
Sometimes it's laugh-out-loud funny. Other times, not so much.
Tim
Jan 04, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
Even if you're not a fan of poetry, please read these.
Cara
Jul 28, 2008 Cara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweet-shit
The Jerk is one of my favorite poems.
Brian Morrison
Dec 22, 2007 Brian Morrison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys romantic comedy and/or depression
Shelves: poetry
what kind of a question is this?
Ollie
Oct 18, 2008 Ollie rated it really liked it
best poetry
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Peter Drohan
Peter Drohan marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Anastasia White
Anastasia White rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Miguel Pauperio
Miguel Pauperio marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Ejy
Ejy marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Mielkee Mielk
Mielkee Mielk marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
X
X rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
William Jones
William Jones marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Daniel Ramos
Daniel Ramos rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
  • Holy Land
  • World's Tallest Disaster: Poems
  • Walking the Black Cat
  • Shake
He is the recipient of a creative writing fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. His writing has been included in Ploughshares, The Best American Poetry 1994, and The New Young American Poets, as well as on the National Endowment for the Arts website.

Although McDaniel has not performed in a poetry slam in over 10 years, he has made spoken word appearances at Lollapalooza, the Moscow
More about Jeffrey McDaniel...

“The Quiet World

In an effort to get people to look
into each other’s eyes more,
and also to appease the mutes,
the government has decided
to allot each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.

When the phone rings, I put it to my ear
without saying hello. In the restaurant
I point at chicken noodle soup.
I am adjusting well to the new way.

Late at night, I call my long distance lover,
proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.

When she doesn’t respond,
I know she’s used up all her words,
so I slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.”
235 likes