Start by marking “Forgiveness Parade” as Want to Read:
Forgiveness Parade

Forgiveness Parade

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  18 reviews

In Jeffrey McDaniel's second book, it is hard to separate the humor from the pain. Both qualities are omnipresent whether he's tackling dysfunctional family memories in 'The Most Awful Lullaby', or broken-hearted romance in poems like 'Another Long Day in the Office of Dreams'.
Published October 1st 1998 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Forgiveness Parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgiveness Parade

September Verses by Hunter S. JonesA World of Verse by Christopher  ShieldsMeeting With Christ and Other Poems by Deepak ChaswalA Poet's Journey by Marta Moran BishopFrom me to you by Elle Amberley
Contemporary Poetry
70th out of 91 books — 121 voters
Before I Die by Jenny DownhamThe Wishing Hill by Holly RobinsonThe Sound of Letting Go by Stasia Ward KehoeFalling Apart in One Piece by Stacy MorrisonThe Next Thing on My List by Jill Smolinski
Dandelion Puffs
37th out of 48 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Sanne
I don't like poetry, I don't like poems.

This however touched something inside me. May have to go and rethink some basic principles.
Snehal Bhagat
This book has been rated highly by many so some justification is in order here. I picked this up having read a few McDaniel poems online, such as The Scars of Utopia and The Quiet World . Both are wonderful poems, original and thought-provoking. The latter in particular, with its context established so well in the commentary accompanying the poem, makes a convincing argument for the idea that even democratically elected governments can subjugate their peoples through measures designed with se ...more
Valerie
I picked this book up because someone read a poem from it (The poem is "The Quiet World," and I included a link to it at the end of my review), and I liked it so much, I checked the book out from the library. The person who read the poem said that McDaniel got his start in the slam poetry world and then implied that he sold out by publishing books in the literary poetry world.

I think McDaniel's poetry has the best of both worlds, his poems are vibrant and entertaining, they would be great at po
Carina Santos
Interesting to see other themes and topics (eg family and childhood) that are rarely ever part of his more popular pieces that have been making rounds on the Internet. While obviously talented—McDaniel is a wordsmith!—there is a lack of thematic unity and cohesion that would tie these poems together as a collection. On their own, there are a lot of poems that are beautiful. Taken together, it represents a somewhat weak collection that have beautifully written poems that have very little to do wi ...more
Erin
Breathtaking ... the kind where you try to breathe while laughing and crying at the same time.
Corrinne
An unbelievable poet with a voice that represents everything it means to be young, contemporary, and reckless. It has been a long time since I was this impressed by a poet. The attitude behind his work is tangible and turns him into this renegade poet. Everyone loves a bad boy...
Angeline Lee
This book is an experience. Jeffrey McDaniel has achieved nothing short of brilliance with The Forgiveness Parade, beautifully stringing words together into something capable of arousing every one of your senses, one at a time. I won't be forgetting this one for a while. 5/5
Justin
Fantastic collection of poetry, one of my favorites of all time. It looks through a cracked lens and dysfunctional families and gritty urban life. The language is wonderfully weird without being opaque in the way some modern poetry can be. I highly recommend it.
Sonya Feher
Though some of the professors in my MFA program vehemently disagreed with me, poetry can be funny and well written. Jeffrey McDaniel is a master of irony, quiet self-deprecation, and twisting our expectations of everyday objects.
D'Anne
Recurring images. etc. include: guns, masturbation, the moon, plumbers, heels, rats, blood, alcohol, uncles, funerals, drugs, love, hurricanes, scars, sleeping, thighs, sky, trains, paintbrushes, women hearts, heads ears.

Tishon
This book contains the poem "The Quiet World." Look it up. It's brilliant. Easily my favorite poem of any I've ever read.
Lucy
sometimes he relies too much on his weirdass imagery but mostly it is good
between 3&4
Alex L.
This is poetry for those of us who like the flavour of never-was.
Gary McDowell
Sometimes it's laugh-out-loud funny. Other times, not so much.
Tim
Even if you're not a fan of poetry, please read these.
Cara
The Jerk is one of my favorite poems.
Brian Morrison
Dec 22, 2007 Brian Morrison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys romantic comedy and/or depression
Shelves: poetry
what kind of a question is this?
Ollie
best poetry
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Tuomas Murtojärvi
Tuomas Murtojärvi marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Michaela Newell
Michaela Newell marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Eva Suzan
Eva Suzan marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Meera
Meera marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Evie
Evie marked it as to-read
Jo Dostoïevski
Jo Dostoïevski marked it as to-read
Reen
Reen marked it as to-read
Sheila Mae
Sheila Mae marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
  • Hotel Insomnia
  • Shake
  • Holy Land
  • The Babies
He is the recipient of a creative writing fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. His writing has been included in Ploughshares, The Best American Poetry 1994, and The New Young American Poets, as well as on the National Endowment for the Arts website.

Although McDaniel has not performed in a poetry slam in over 10 years, he has made spoken word appearances at Lollapalooza, the Moscow
More about Jeffrey McDaniel...
Splinter Factory The Endarkenment Alibi School Chapel of Inadvertent Joy Siamesische Gegensätze

“The Quiet World

In an effort to get people to look
into each other’s eyes more,
and also to appease the mutes,
the government has decided
to allot each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.

When the phone rings, I put it to my ear
without saying hello. In the restaurant
I point at chicken noodle soup.
I am adjusting well to the new way.

Late at night, I call my long distance lover,
proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.

When she doesn’t respond,
I know she’s used up all her words,
so I slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.”
210 likes