Start by marking “The Tunnel Under the World” as Want to Read:
The Tunnel Under the World

The Tunnel Under the World

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  19 reviews
On the morning of June 15th, Guy Burckhardt woke up screaming out of a dream.

It was more real than any dream he had ever had in his life. He could still hear and feel the sharp, ripping-metal explosion, the violent heave that had tossed him furiously out of bed, the searing wave of heat.

He sat up convulsively and stared, not believing what he saw, at the quiet room and the
Published June 1st 2011 by Aegypan (first published January 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Tunnel Under the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tunnel Under the World

Algernon
In the middle of reading Replay by Ken Grimwood, I become obsessed with tracking down a short story I read 30 years ago in a science-fiction almanac. Couldn't remember the title, as I read it initially in Romanian translation, but a search with "time loop" as the key word came up a winner. So here it is:

On the morning of June 15th, Guy Burckhardt woke up screaming.

original illustration by EMSH

What follows is his routine day of breakfast, going to work, job stress, lunch, going home in the evening. But something is slightl
Barbara Krasnoff
I recently reread this story by Frederik Pohl, which is one of the classics of 1950s science fiction. It is the tale of a supposedly ordinary man in a small town who one day realizes that he is living the same day over and over again.But whereas a lesser author would have left it at that, Pohl unfolds layers of increasingly horrific revelations that makes the story riveting. But at the core, this is a satire of the advertising culture that dominated the 1950s U.S., making it a completely satisfa ...more
Norm Davis
Feb 04, 2014 Norm Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans.
Recommended to Norm by: Librovox browsing in science fiction section
The Tunnel Under the World, by Fredrick Pohl, Galaxy Science Fiction, January 1955

Librovox Audio by the most excellent Phil Chenevert, Feedbooks epub, a cleaned up version of a Gutenberg project ebook. FREE, FREE, FREE

I'm a bit stumped by the title, “The Tunnel Under the World”. Don't know what I expected but it wasn't this story... which, by the way, is excellent. It's a 59 year old story but with a tweak here and there, then add a little polish, and you have a ready to go story or movie adapta
Gustl
Se vi siete mai chiesti da dove salti fuori l'idea alla base di films come: "The Truman Show", oppure "Ricomincio da capo", vuol dire che non conoscete il racconto che dà il titolo a questa raccolta di 9 racconti scritti dal grande maestro della fantascienza sociologica Frederik Pohl negli anni cinquanta del secolo scorso. È una storia geniale e assolutamente imprevedibile; per non rovinare l'eventuale piacere di chi trovando questo raro Urania volesse leggerlo, dico solo che il protagonista è a ...more
Bodhi
Aug 04, 2014 Bodhi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi History Buffs
Recommended to Bodhi by: Philip K. Dick
You owe it to yourself to read this story if you are curious about some of the early themes in Science Fiction writing. My review is probably biased by the fact that this was my first taste of SciFi from this era. The time was embodied by cigarette stands, cellophane dresses, Martians, and American values.

Without revealing much, I will say that the story is an ideal length. The action and reveals don't let up. Some of the ideas are kind of quaint in the 21st century, but there was a suspicion th
Scott Harris
This story must have inspired the genre of perpetual same day experiences that have since become a relatively common plot scheme in Hollywood. Pohl's version however is richer and far more nuanced, with a sense of horror and mystery that takes time to unfold, and provides an emotional richness beyond the typical - what I would do today if I knew it would erased kindergarten version. Very rooted in the culture of the 1950s, it is equally a healthy dose of social commentary.
mlady_rebecca
Slightly dated, but otherwise interesting time loop short, a la "Groundhog Day". I didn't see any of the twists (in the final pages) coming.

It ended with a bit of a classical "TheOuter Limits" or "The Twilight Zone" vibe.
Annamaria
totally didn't see that coming. Great twist for a short story.
Adhoc
A fun read....something I might have seen on the twilight zone.
La Toya
Ah, what a cool novella. I'm still working my way into Sci-fi (I'm not -quite- ready for the tiny print and the hard to pronounce names) so I listened to this audio book. Although I enjoyed the story, I would've preferred to watch this as a Twilight Zone episode.
Joshua
Classic 1950's sci-fi and a story that's been remade many times.
Francisco
Excellent story, great twist and it does not feel dated at all.
Rob
Just read this fun story by Pohl through my East of the Web app. EotW features a number of Pohl's shorts. I'm glad to have found his work. Pohl's writing is fairly concise and his imagination is fantastic. A trending theme in the shorts I've read so far is the development of a character's (typically the main one) and the reader's discovery of the unusual circumstances that Pohl has placed that character in.

My only complaint is that the richness of the tale starts to pull me in and I want to lear
Jim
I seem to be revisiting my youth with some of my current SciFi choices. This novella available at no cost at Project Gutenberg reads like one of those early 50s SciFi films due, in large part, to it being written in the early 50s. I don't like going into a synopsis as that is usually available elsewhere but if you are of an age where you enjoyed that fare you will enjoy this. Pohl was a fairly prolific author and most of his work is still under copyright, but a few of his works are available at ...more
Summer
Admittedly, I listened to an excellent radio drama of this book performed by 'X Minus One' (I think that one or Dimension X) (in the 1960s) and it was thoroughly entertaining. I know a lot of people say that for 1950s it was shocking but for 2010s it's not, but you couldn't tell that from the radio drama. It was very well-acted.
Nazish
More of a time-loop-delusional-dystopia where the advertisment is used in an eccentric way for marketing. A rough exploit of the human intelligence through robotic fiction felt like a twist of the past but only after reading the story did I find out that it's actually one of 1950's classic sci-fi.
Nawfal
Quick and engaging short story from 1955 Galaxy Magazine. Really fun and good, classic science fiction style. Recommend for fans of Asimov, PKD, and Baudrillard.
Tom Hudspeth
Good read from one of the masters of Scifi. A bit dated of course, but surprising twists keep this short story readable.
trigger hippie
Be1911
Be1911 marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Randi Meeks
Randi Meeks marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Charles Reynolds
Charles Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Paul Tupper
Paul Tupper marked it as to-read
Jason
Jason added it
Jan 09, 2015
What's The Name o...: Sci-fi short story (spoilers) [s] 7 45 Jul 08, 2012 07:55PM
  • Greener Than You Think (Classics of Modern Science Fiction 10)
  • Second Variety
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Earthman's Burden
  • Mono no Aware
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Time and Again
  • The Jewels of Aptor
  • Хищные вещи века
  • The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)
  • The Absolute at Large
  • Alpträume: Nightmares and Dreamscapes
  • This Crowded Earth
  • Wheels Within Wheels (The LaNague Federation, #2)
  • The Second Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
  • Greatfall: Part 1
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)