Start by marking “Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them” as Want to Read:
Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them

Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them

Do you crave chocolate, bread, cheese, fries, or other foods? If so, there's a reason why, as Doreen Virtue's breakthrough book explains. Each food craving actually corresponds to a specific underlying emotion; so once you understand the meaning behind your particular craving and apply the information and affirmations within these pages, you'll be able to heal your cycle o ...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Hay House, Inc. (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Constant Craving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constant Craving

Mar 30, 2012 Toni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, 2012
It's no secret that I struggle with my weight and being the avid book reader that I am, I am always reading about weight loss topics. Most of them give you a lot of scientific data, diet tips, and exercise options. But if you've ever watched a reality show with people trying to lose the pounds, you know that the issues go beyond just stopping at too many fast food restaurants or not being able to push yourself away from the table. There is almost always and emotional reason behind our food addic ...more
Clarissa Draper
I bought this book based on a fellow blogger's review. I did like it. The premise is simple, you are getting fat because you can't differentiate between real hunger and eating to fill an emotional need.

There is a six-step program outlined in the book to help you discover if you are eating for hunger or not. I think it's somewhat helpful but this book won't help you lose weight unless you truly work out why you're suffering from emotional hunger. This might mean seeking professional help.

In the
Toni Wheeler
Doreen Virtue might be just a little wack-a-doodle (the woman wrote a book about talking to fairies), but I say don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. While I'm not sure I buy her theories about specific food cravings representing specific emotional issues - and she's very specific - I'm on board with the idea that we often eat to avoid uncomfortable feelings. This book didn't do a whole lot for me personally, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone struggling with food issues. ...more
Korinn Hawkins
Dec 31, 2013 Korinn Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful book with a lot of information. At times it felt like too much information and I did skip over sections but felt like I took from it what I was supposed to. The essence of it is that when you overeat it is often for emotional reasons so asking yourself why you want to eat when you are not hungry can help in healing your eating patterns. I also have found that asking myself "am I eating for emotional or physical reasons" is helpful as she too suggests in the book.
According to author Doreen Virtue, "we intuitively crave foods that perfectly match our emotional needs..." The descriptions of what different cravings mean was kind of like reading horoscopes: "your love life is lacking" or whatever. Until I read about craving salty, crunchy things (like Wheat Thins). I don't have the quote, but it was something about feeling frustrated by change that is out of your control! Maybe she's onto something!
Aug 11, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little new agey at times, but a lot of good advice about figuring out what you're really feeling when you eat as a self-soothing mechanism.
Oct 11, 2016 SB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Author posits that each and every food craving we have corresponds to some emotional need. She includes a chart at the end listing foods and the need not being fulfilled- the food list is VERY detailed; she even distinguishes between soft peanut butter and crunchy peanut butter! All of the emotional needs of myself and my family were eerily accurate; I traced all my past cravings to those emotional needs she listed and ran this against the foods cr ...more
Aug 01, 2015 Bri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the information was really good but the author's writing style was not. It seemed too informal for a book about scientific research on food in the body. I mean, some colloquialism is good to connect with the reader, but this was the entire book.

Other than that, I felt I learned a lot and I'm definitely keeping the book for future reference. The tips she gave for controlling the appetite were helpful and actually work!
Madeleine Gustavsson
I must say that I am kind of torn apart. One side of me really like this book while the other side does not. The good thing with this is that is very easy to read, for those who do not have English a main language, and the most important thing is that it is very insightful.
But in the end is got kind of boring and I lost the interest. So I just ended it cause i felt that I had to.
Aug 18, 2012 GONZA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting and with some new useful information even if, in the end, it seemed to me that all the cravings are for similar emotional reasons.

Parecchio interessante e con alcune nuove informazioni, anche se, alla fine, mi sembrava che tutti di vari desideri di cibo avessero alla baste le stesse emozioni.

Jun 02, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. As always DV is easy to read and makes a lot of sense. I learned a few things too. DV always has great information to share and this book from 20 years ago still has info to share to better your life....
Jul 25, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book by Ms. Virtue. Certainly explains why I crave some of the food that I do. It is like you can watch the trend of where you are and where you have been, simply by what your body is craving to eat. I found it very interesting, and a book that I will keep to reference back to over time.
Nov 08, 2015 Marcie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
I had great hopes of better understanding food cravings. This book outlines the underlying emotions behind cravings. I felt there was some useful information, because t most of it just didn't jive with me.
Oana Moise
Oana Moise rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2014
Heather Hare
Heather Hare rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Ashley Russell
Ashley Russell rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Louisa Austin
Louisa Austin rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Alison rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Vesna rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Donna rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Rachel Shuck
Rachel Shuck rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Veronica Cuyugan
Veronica Cuyugan rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
David Davis
David Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Gsiiri rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Kate Oman
Kate Oman rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Liz rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Lena Marie
Lena Marie rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Crystal Doty
Crystal Doty rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
  • Soul Coaching: 28 Days to Discover Your Authentic Self
  • The Ministry of Thin
  • You Can Create An Exceptional Life
  • Messages From Spirit: The Extraordinary Power of Oracles, Omens, and Signs
  • A Handbook of Chakra Healing: Spiritual Practice for Health, Harmony, and Inner Peace
  • Be Your Own Shaman
  • The Force of Kindness: Change Your Life with Love & Compassion
  • The Vatican's Exorcists: Driving Out the Devil in the 21st Century
  • Obsessed: America's Food Addiction - And My Own
  • Broken Words: The Abuse of Science and Faith in American Politics
  • The Emperor of Absurdia
  • Soul Lessons and Soul Purpose: A Channeled Guide to Why You Are Here
  • The Unmistakable Touch of Grace: How to Recognize and Respond to the Spiritual Signposts in Your Life
  • Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth Diet: Lose Up to 15 Pounds, 4 Inches--and Your Wrinkles!--in Just 21 Days
Doreen Virtue is a fourth-generation metaphysician and clairvoyant doctor of psychology. Doreen is the author of numerous best-selling books and products, including Assertiveness for Earth Angels, and Healing With the Angels book and cards.

She's been featured on Oprah, CNN, Good Morning America, and in newspapers and magazines worldwide including her weekly column in Woman's World magazine called
More about Doreen Virtue...