Start by marking “Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them” as Want to Read:
Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them

Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Do you crave chocolate, bread, cheese, fries, or other foods? If so, there's a reason why, as Doreen Virtue's breakthrough book explains. Each food craving actually corresponds to a specific underlying emotion; so once you understand the meaning behind your particular craving and apply the information and affirmations within these pages, you'll be able to heal your cycle o ...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Hay House, Inc. (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Constant Craving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constant Craving

Toni
It's no secret that I struggle with my weight and being the avid book reader that I am, I am always reading about weight loss topics. Most of them give you a lot of scientific data, diet tips, and exercise options. But if you've ever watched a reality show with people trying to lose the pounds, you know that the issues go beyond just stopping at too many fast food restaurants or not being able to push yourself away from the table. There is almost always and emotional reason behind our food addic ...more
Toni Wheeler
Doreen Virtue might be just a little wack-a-doodle (the woman wrote a book about talking to fairies), but I say don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. While I'm not sure I buy her theories about specific food cravings representing specific emotional issues - and she's very specific - I'm on board with the idea that we often eat to avoid uncomfortable feelings. This book didn't do a whole lot for me personally, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone struggling with food issues. ...more
Bri
I think the information was really good but the author's writing style was not. It seemed too informal for a book about scientific research on food in the body. I mean, some colloquialism is good to connect with the reader, but this was the entire book.

Other than that, I felt I learned a lot and I'm definitely keeping the book for future reference. The tips she gave for controlling the appetite were helpful and actually work!
Loved this book. As always DV is easy to read and makes a lot of sense. I learned a few things too. DV always has great information to share and this book from 20 years ago still has info to share to better your life....
Clarissa Draper
I bought this book based on a fellow blogger's review. I did like it. The premise is simple, you are getting fat because you can't differentiate between real hunger and eating to fill an emotional need.

There is a six-step program outlined in the book to help you discover if you are eating for hunger or not. I think it's somewhat helpful but this book won't help you lose weight unless you truly work out why you're suffering from emotional hunger. This might mean seeking professional help.

In the
Meghan
A little new agey at times, but a lot of good advice about figuring out what you're really feeling when you eat as a self-soothing mechanism.
Korinn Hawkins
Very insightful book with a lot of information. At times it felt like too much information and I did skip over sections but felt like I took from it what I was supposed to. The essence of it is that when you overeat it is often for emotional reasons so asking yourself why you want to eat when you are not hungry can help in healing your eating patterns. I also have found that asking myself "am I eating for emotional or physical reasons" is helpful as she too suggests in the book.
Laurie
According to author Doreen Virtue, "we intuitively crave foods that perfectly match our emotional needs..." The descriptions of what different cravings mean was kind of like reading horoscopes: "your love life is lacking" or whatever. Until I read about craving salty, crunchy things (like Wheat Thins). I don't have the quote, but it was something about feeling frustrated by change that is out of your control! Maybe she's onto something!
Madeleine Gustavsson
I must say that I am kind of torn apart. One side of me really like this book while the other side does not. The good thing with this is that is very easy to read, for those who do not have English a main language, and the most important thing is that it is very insightful.
But in the end is got kind of boring and I lost the interest. So I just ended it cause i felt that I had to.
GONZA
Pretty interesting and with some new useful information even if, in the end, it seemed to me that all the cravings are for similar emotional reasons.

Parecchio interessante e con alcune nuove informazioni, anche se, alla fine, mi sembrava che tutti di vari desideri di cibo avessero alla baste le stesse emozioni.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HAY HOUSE FOR THE PREVIEW
Kim
A great book by Ms. Virtue. Certainly explains why I crave some of the food that I do. It is like you can watch the trend of where you are and where you have been, simply by what your body is craving to eat. I found it very interesting, and a book that I will keep to reference back to over time.
Ann-marie
Really helps to get over those cravings. Plus learnig why you have them & how to overcome them.
Ruth Hapeta
Excellent - made me think about the types of food I usually crave and why that might be.
Andrea
Very informative. Something ill keep reading
Ximena
Ximena marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Christina Gutierrez
Christina Gutierrez marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Srinath
Srinath marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Teresa Costa
Teresa Costa is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
Julie Faucher
Julie Faucher marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Ingrid Norris
Ingrid Norris marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
  • Be Your Own Shaman
  • Obsessed: America's Food Addiction - And My Own
  • Soul Lessons and Soul Purpose: A Channeled Guide to Why You Are Here
  • The Vatican's Exorcists: Driving Out the Devil in the 21st Century
  • Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life
  • A Handbook of Chakra Healing: Spiritual Practice for Health, Harmony, and Inner Peace
  • The Emperor of Absurdia
  • The Force of Kindness: Change Your Life with Love & Compassion
  • The Worst Princess
  • Heaven and Earth: Making the Psychic Connection
  • The Unmistakable Touch of Grace: How to Recognize and Respond to the Spiritual Signposts in Your Life
  • A History of Witchcraft, Sorcerers, Heretics, and Pagans
Doreen Virtue is a fourth-generation metaphysician and clairvoyant doctor of psychology who works with the angelic, elemental, and ascended-master realms. Doreen is the author of numerous best-selling books and products, including the Healing with the Angels book, where the angels' interpretations of the numbers first appeared. She's been featured on Oprah, CNN, Good Morning America, and in newspa ...more
More about Doreen Virtue...
The Lightworker's Way: Awakening Your Spiritual Power to Know and Heal Healing with the Angels: How the Angels Can Assist You in Every Area of Your Life Archangels and Ascended Masters Messages from Your Angels Healing With The Fairies: Messages, Manifestations and Love from the World of the Fairies: How Nature's Angels Can Help You in Every Area of Your Life