Start by marking “How to Write Hot Sex: Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors” as Want to Read:
How to Write Hot Sex: Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors

How to Write Hot Sex: Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  25 reviews
How to Write Hot Sex: Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors features everything you need to know about adding sizzling sexual tension, scorching sex scenes, and emotional impact to your romance writing in twelve info-packed essays from bestselling and multi-published authors - so you can get published and get paid.
Published (first published September 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Write Hot Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write Hot Sex

As a romantic fiction writer who likes to add some spice to her stories, I can always use a little help with keeping my amorous scenes fresh and exciting, no matter what they'll be like. After all, it's no fun when you read something and all the sexy scenes start to sound the same.

This book - a collection of essays from best-selling erotica and romance authors - has a little something for everyone, no matter if they write sweet romance, hot BDSM, male/male pairings, or wild fantasy stories with
Mandy
I've had this book in my possession since last year, and it didn't get a rating or review yet because it's easy for How To books to slip through the cracks since I rarely read them front to back, and because of that they never get "finished."

I briefly spoke with Shoshanna Evers in Dallas, and When I told her that I still use this book to flip through and get help for crafting good sex scenes when I might've forgotten something, and she was so happy and asked if I'd reviewed it, I drew a blank, a
Anne Hagan
I write mysteries but, judging by my sales and the categories my books sell in, I also seem to write romance. After several discussions in various forums (including here on Goodreads) I'd come to the conclusion that my series going forward needs to contain erotic interludes between my two leads. I've never written a sex scene in my life. I needed a little guidance.

I bought this book with high hopes and it didn't disappoint. It's not a step by step guide, if that's what you're looking for. It's m
Kim
I am an aspiring writer who follows Shoshanna Evers on Twitter.I saw her tweet this link and i am thrilled I downloaded this how to must have! What wonderful advice from all the authors who contributed! I strongly recommended this book to a few friend who has been contemplating taking "the writing plunge"also . She reported inspiration after a few pages into it! Thank you very much to all involved! Happy writing :)
Jade Onyx
This is a wonderful reference book for erotica writers of all heats. Even if you aren't a romance writer, you can benefit from this reference.

Cara McKenna's "Real Ugly" expands on descriptions. Don't just describe coffee as "coffee." Instead, wouldn't you want a sip of that triple-shot espresso with vanilla whip cream and shaved dark chocolate bits sprinkled on top?

Desiree Holt's "Five Sexy Senses to Rev Up Scenes" pounds into us to engage our readers with all their senses--draw them into the s
Kenya Wright
This is great for writers who only write a sensual scene here or there TO writers who write full on erotica.

Great tips an tools!
W. Chantale
There were some really excellent tips on writing sex. Definitely a must for any serious writer.
Niall Teasdale
Apr 16, 2012 Niall Teasdale rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who already know they can write good fiction, but want tips on writing erotic fiction.
Shelves: non-fiction, erotica
I can't really claim to have read this one. I flicked through large sections wondering why I'd bought the book. Oh yes, it was because I've been writing more sex into my books and wanted some advice from people who did that kind of writing more often than I. Apparently I don't need the advice since I considered the essays in this book incredibly obvious.

The only article I found useful was Jean Johnson's one on the biology involved in sex and how you can use that to improve your writing. Sadly, t
A.C. James
When I haven’t been immersed in my own writing I’ve been reading How to Write Hot Sex—Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors, edited by Shoshanna Evers.

Despite my fledgling fan base, I consider myself very much a rookie. If it weren’t for my critique partner, I’d have all sorts of strange things going on with body parts and sex toys would run amok with a mind all of their own.

One of my biggest problems as a rookie sex writer is forgetting where I’ve stuck things ;)

Choreography is key.

I
Nicky Penttila
Pretty good starter on writing, with the focus on erotica. Structure-wise, I'd have preferred to read the author bios after I read their advice; that way I have their voice in my head when I imprint on their name. Didn't realize, but (because of this?) I stopped reading the bios altogether, so when I read the essay I liked best I had to page back to find out who had written it. It's Delphine Dryden, "So You Think You Can Kink?" which, in addition to the common wisdom of know your characters and ...more
Alex Rayne
I have written various things for years, but never fiction and certainly not erotic romance. reading this book was a revelation - sex is such an important part of all our lives (even if we don't admit it) so it should also be a part of our fictional lives.
Shoshanna, you set me on a new path, and I am loving it. Great book ... well done to you and all the authors who contributed.
Reghan Ross
I have read several romance writing books and while those helped, this book on erotic romance writing was a page turner. The different styles and advice of the authors was much appreciated. After reading one author's hot tips, I couldn't wait to turn to the next author. This is a book an erotica writer can turn to again and again. I would recommend it.
Holden Attradies
Pretty good collection of highly helpful essays on the ins and outs of writing good erotica/romance. I would say that no one author is going to find every entry here helpful, some might even be worth skipping if the subject is far enough removed form what you write. But that's okay, anthology's are meant to be read that way.
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
My editor wanted to see steamier love scenes in my writing, so I thought I would give this a try. There were some interesting points, but I did not find much that was helpful for my writing. Instead, I would recommend the '12 Stages of Intimacy' for someone who writes historical or regency romance. This book would be a better match for erotica and erotic romance writers.
Lenore
Oct 13, 2014 Lenore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lenore by: C A Speakman
Not a typical How To book with instructions and exercises, rather a collection of essays from published authors. They show what works for their stories, and offer suggestions and point out pitfalls to avoid. I liked this book, and think it will be helpful in my efforts to spice up a straight vanilla sex scene.
Laura Oliva
I really enjoyed this. Good, quick read, which is helpful when you want/need some advice but still have shit to do.

I particularly enjoyed the essays "Real Ugly", "Five Sexy Senses To Rev Up Scenes", "The Law Of Attraction", and "Fighting Sex". Really, though, I can honestly say I got something valuable from every section in this book, including the ones aimed at genres I don't (yet?) write.

Just because you don't want to write kink, m/m, or even erotica in general doesn't mean this book won't b
Carol
Very helpful!
Vanessa Largie
A must have for every erotic writer!
Calli Carlisle
This is a great resource for anyone who wants to write erotic romance. I've been writing fairly explicit sex for about 18 months so far and some of this advice was familiar to me but there were some great tidbits I hadn't really considered as well and the encouragement was great. It was less of a "this is what to write" and more of a "it's okay to write this" sort of book for me, which is really what I needed.
Linda Walters
This collection of short articles by various erotica authors is valuable to anyone who want to put more heat into their stories. One does not need to aim at full-on erotica to garner valuable guidance from this book. In fact, I would say that those looking to not cross some ill defined line between "spicy" and "erotic" will have much to learn from this book.
Elisa
This is such an invaluable collection of essays for anyone who wants to start tackling writing sex scenes or hone their skills. There was useful info in each piece, it took me so long to finish How to Write Hot Sex because my eReader couldn’t highlight everything I wanted fast enough.

Overall an educational and entertaining read!
Vicki
I found the book to be a quick read, but one that I should go back and study to fully grasp and take in all the useful tips and advice. It’s packed full of good, solid info on how to write erotica, and I recommend it for anyone interested in writing for the genre.
Muhammed R
This book gave me wonderful tips for writing my first erotica novel. I recommend it to any erotica writer who wants to add some extra oomph to their writing. Awesome book.
Lacey Wolfe
This is a must read for anyone who write romance or wants to write romance. You will learn a lot.
Ellie Potts
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
Susan Child
Susan Child marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Karl Hexean Sumner
Karl Hexean Sumner is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2015
RedTara
RedTara marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Passionate Ink: A Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • Scrivener For Dummies
  • Smut Peddler
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • Method and Madness: The Making of a Story (A Guide to Writing Fiction)
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Starfighter Chapter 1
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Enemies & Shadows (Rifter #7)
  • Unleashed (Demon Lovers, #4)
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • Oglaf Book One
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Shoshanna Evers has written dozens of sexy stories, including The Man Who Holds the Whip (part of the bestselling MAKE ME anthology), Overheated, The Enslaved Trilogy, and The Pulse Trilogy (from Simon & Schuster Pocket Star).

Her work has been featured in Best Bondage Erotica 2012 and Best Bondage Erotica 2013, the Penguin/Berkley Heat anthology
More about Shoshanna Evers...
Enslaved (Enslaved Trilogy, #1) The Tycoon's Convenient Bride... and Baby Taste of Candy The Man Who Holds The Whip Overheated