Start by marking “ZOUNDS!: A Browser's Dictionary of Interjections” as Want to Read:
ZOUNDS!: A Browser's Dictionary of Interjections

ZOUNDS!: A Browser's Dictionary of Interjections

From Geronimo! to gesundheit to haminahamina to holy mackerel, and from abracadabra to zoinks, Mark Dunn and Sergio Aragonés show you interjections like you've never seen them before.

Often thought of as unnecessary verbal fringe or simply linguistic decoration, interjections (ahem, howdy, mamma mia, pshaw, tally-ho, whoop-de-do) may well be the most overlooked part of spee
Published March 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about ZOUNDS!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ZOUNDS!

Heather
May 13, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
a fun dictionary/history of many the interjections we use ever day.
Havilah
Oct 28, 2012 Havilah rated it liked it
I was hoping this book would help educate me in the ways of interjections. You see, my husband is a master of interjections. The only thing I learned from this book was that my husband's interjections are either totally made-up or totally not appropriate for the average person. His interjections were not in this book. I did enjoy reading it though. There were a lot of fun facts about the historical beginnings of many interjections I have grown to know and love. This would make a great coffee tab ...more
T.
Mar 07, 2010 T. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, language
yum-yum (also yum and yummy): Our mothers taught us not to talk with our mouths full, but this word is often delivered from a mouth filled with half-masticated morsels.

As for Mrs. Lovett's meatpies---
Mrs. Lovett: "It's perfect! It's gorgeous!"
Customers: "Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!"

Yum-yum goes this book, and although not perfect, I have devoured quite quickly.
Anna
Aug 17, 2009 Anna rated it it was ok
This was a bit of a disappointment. The thing I love about Mark Dunn though, as that his ideas are always so original even if the final product doesn't quite live up to it (e.g. Ibid). Zounds is a bit like that - intermittently hilarious but uneven. I still think the man is a genius and Ella Minnow Pea is one of the finest books ever. Also very fond of Welcome to Higby.
Thomas Clardy
Nov 30, 2015 Thomas Clardy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, reference
It has humor, but I see this more as a reference book. When writing, I get stuck using the same words over and over...especially interjections This book helps to increase the variety of interjections you use; it's like buying a new recipe book, it makes you want to widen your tastes.
Susan
Jun 23, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
A fun book for anyone that enjoys words. My favorite explanation: "Doh!" (coined by Homer Simpson)Dunn explains that the word "doh" never actually appears in the script.
Sarah Eyre
Sarah Eyre rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2010
Kristine Keller
Kristine Keller rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Tonya Carpenter
Tonya Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Amber Polo
Amber Polo rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2009
Sandy Swanberg
Sandy Swanberg rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Helen Southall
Helen Southall rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2014
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
R.L.
R.L. rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Dominic the Christmas Donkey
Dominic the Christmas Donkey rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2007
Amanda Peterson
Amanda Peterson rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Paul O'Regan
Paul O'Regan rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
J Elsie
J Elsie rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2009
Ryan James
Ryan James rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Felden
Felden rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Kyle Yoshioka
Kyle Yoshioka rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2008
jade
jade rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Virginia Boylan
Virginia Boylan rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2012
tekniklr
tekniklr rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2013
Mark Dunn is the author of several books and more than thirty full-length plays, a dozen of which have been published in acting edition.

Mark has received over 200 productions of his work for the stage throughout the world, with translations of his plays into French, Italian, Dutch and Hungarian. His play North Fork (later retitled Cabin Fever: A Texas Tragicomedy when it was picked up for publica
More about Mark Dunn...