Start by marking “But Not the Hippopotamus” as Want to Read:
But Not the Hippopotamus

Sandra Boynton

But Not the Hippopotamus

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  10,116 ratings  ·  252 reviews
"A frog and a hog cavort in the bog. But not the hippopotamus. A cat and two rats are trying on hats. But not the hippopotamus." Sandra Boynton narrates this eBook-with-audio version of her enormously popular book. A shy hippopotamus is hesitant to join in the fun that the other animals are having. But little by little, the hippo finds her courage. A fine and funny classic ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 19th 2011 by Boynton Moo Media (first published December 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about But Not the Hippopotamus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But Not the Hippopotamus

Philip Smith
A tragic story of exclusion, bigotry and prejudice, while ultimately celebrating redemption.

A satisfying read, but one I feel is let down by the lack of any attempt to explore the motives of the characters. Why were the moose and the goose together having juice without the hippopotamus? We do not find out.

Without wanting to post spoilers, I will also add that the denouement contains a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan.
Argott
Parents are faced with all sort sorts of difficult questions. Are feature-length Disney films too scary for kids? Will taking away the toy gun that your child carved from a bar of soap inhibit her creative spirit? Is it okay to spank your children after they punch you in the stomach? And will the aforementioned spanking only teach them to try to run away more quickly the next time they assault you? (For those of you without kids, the answer to each question is yes.)

On each rereading of this belo
Hilary Yastrum
I think this book is great for beginning readers! Not only does it show perfect examples of rhyming words but it has a great life lesson tied into the meaning as well! The book shows a hippopotamus who watches different types of animals do fun activities together all because they have rhyming names. For example, a bare and a hare. The hippopotamus feels lonely throughout the book because he has no animal to pair with. However, at the end of the book the animals ask the hippo to play with them, s ...more
midnightfaerie
A cute Boynton book with a story line that all my children could enjoy, even if it was just to be able to repeat the word hippopotamus over and over again. Not one of our all time favorites, but adorable illustrations and one we all enjoyed.
Bookfanatic
I personally love this book and I'm an adult. It's a cute story about what other animals do, but not the hippo who doesn't seem to be allowed to do anything except at the end she does do something. She kills all the other animals because they were mean to her.

No, no, she doesn't. I'm joking.

The story is very amusing. My daughter loved this book when she was younger. Boynton's books aren't very babyish. She uses words like "cavort" "bog" which you typically don't see in toddler and preschool bo
Bodi
Eric
This is a great poem about the trials of being a non-standard person in a world where everyone else rhymes. I think kids can get a lot out of this little board book, and think Sandra Boynton is a genius when it comes to short and pointed poems and her drawings accompany the story nicely, despite their simple cartoony style.

My Daughter and I still feel sorry for the armadillo though.
Maria
I've been living in the land of board books for the last few months, and Sandra Boynton's are my favorites so far, and this is my favorite of hers. The 5-month old likes them all, but this one is extra special to the sleep-deprived adults who find it very meaningful.
Elizabeth
We really liked the end with the armadillo!
Susanna-Cole King
I work as a nanny and ever kid I've even known, owns a copy of this book, but I can't bear to read it. I get that this is a fictional hippopotamus in a children's books, but am I the only one who feels a little heart ache that this shy hippopotamus just wants to be friends and doesn't know how? And then just when things are looking up, we start all over with the poor armadillo! I can't take it! If there's anything I learned from this book, it's that I'm sensitive to even fictional hippopotamuses ...more
Racquel
Kathryn
Not my favorite Boynton. I know it's supposed to be funny but the ending seemed kinda sad/mean after the otherwise happy resolution. Though I guess we can assume the happy resolution would come later again. Could still be a good teaching tool for including everyone and not making anyone feel left out.
Kirsten Mellin
I don't know how Sandra Boynton does it, but I always enjoy her books. I wish I could pin point what it is about her writing style that I just love. Even though I can't put my finger on exactly why I love these books here are some things in her books I enjoy; the rhyming is always fun, the animal characters make me smile, the books seem to be just the right length for toddlers,and the stories really are just excellent.

We got But Not the Hippopotamus a while ago from the library, and it is one o
Rienne Taylor
I think book is excellent for beginning readers and younger age groups! This book is full of rhyming words. It tells a story about a hippo (obviously) who sits and watches different types of animals hang out and do fun things together. The hippo feels left out because he is not apart of the rhyming animals names. But at the end of the book all of the animals ask him to play with them. This is great in the classroom because it teaches children to be nice and friendly to everyone. Just because som ...more
Kristen
What I learned: anthropomorphized animals are not as exclusionary and mean as they may sometimes seem at first. Also, animals are cute. And "goose" and "moose" rhyme with "juice."
Mary
My 2 year old says: "It was amazing. I really liked it." At the end, he says "the armadillo is sad because he wants to come. The armadillo wants to cry." Hugs.
Anselm
Really thick pages. Good for miniature fingers. A tale of odd pairings and outcasts, with a sequel hinted at involving an armadillo.
Darren
Valerie
Aug 21, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Karanina
Shelves: for-the-boys
Between Karanina and the boys, I have read this book so many times, and I still think its funny.
Karawan
I adore this book. It was a shower gift and one of the first board books I read to Gavin. It has such a nice read-aloud rhythm. I feel like Gavin responded to that even in those newborn days when he wasn't really ready to focus his eyes on the pictures yet.

My sister hates it and refuses to read it to him because she says it's mean to the hippopotamus. But I never read it as the animals intentionally excluding the hippopotamus. They do invite her to join them at the end. I see it as being about s
ReadingJungle.com
Sandra Boynton, popular author of twenty-two books for children and adults, brings us But Not the Hippopotamus. Bright and charming illustrations will draw children’s attention while cherished animal characters are involved in a rhythmical and simple story intended to deliver giggling smiles and moral lessons.

All the animals in this tale join together and do tasks and have fun with one another, but not the hippopotamus. This latter phrase is repeated throughout the book as the animal sadly watc
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary a hippo feels all alone until her friends ask her to join them, but there is someone else left alone.
Annotation A bunch of friend embark on fun times but each time the hippo feels left out. Until a friend asked her to join. Then there is the armadillo that is left out.
Age appropriateness 0-7 and I include the older age ranges because, this is a time in school during k-2nd grade where kids start to understand being left out.
Connection to six early literacy skills narrative skill. St
Drew Graham
All the animals are having the big fun... but not the hippopotamus. Will she ever be able to join them?

This is one SB selection that I'd actually heard about specifically, but we hadn't found it at the library until recently, and now it's become one of my favorites. It tells a simple but complete story (complete with twist ending). Funny rhymes + colorful illustrations + positive message = another win.

Also, the way The Boy finishes each line with "hippopotamus" is beyond adorable.
Shanna Gonzalez
Once again, Sandra Boynton makes it look easy to produce a rhythmic, repetitive, and hilarious story that the youngest tots and the most jaded adults will enjoy. In this simple plot, a shy hippo watches as other animals engage in social activities, and the refrain repeats, "But not the hippopotamus." Finally, the other animals invite her along and, after dithering a moment, she leaps into the fun... leaving behind another wallflower: "But not the armadillo."

Almost everyone has felt shy at some t
Sarah Ashburn
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think it was once of my favorite books. I feel that the words in this book make it easy to hear different sounds but also make it possible for beginning readers. The book is also great for children to interact with because of the repetition. Great children's book!
Jacqueline
My 18mo and I can read this one over and over. It includes a fun and unusual selection of animals and activities, plenty of "no"s for the toddler, great rhyme, rhythm and repetition, and a cute ending. (I do like the message, but it's not really relevant at 18 months!)
Kaethe
One of my favorite Boynton's. When you read a book over and over and over again in the course of a single day, you really appreciate something that can still make you smile after the umpteenth time. The rhythm is great and the twist ending is amusing.
Shelli Gheen
But Not the Hippopotamus (1995) by Sandra Boynton tells the story of the poor hippopotamus who is left out of everything her friends are doing. The other animals don't realize this and soon come to invite her along...only to leave someone else out. A great rhyming story that could really be a participatory story, too. Children will chime in with "but not the hippopotamus!"

Themes: Friendship; Loneliness

Ways to use this with children:
* Read this to children and talk about the hippopotamus' feeli
Emily Morris
This may be one of Boynton's more complex books (as far as words as concerned) but it is one of my favorites and makes me laugh about as much as my daughter. Cute illustrations, great beat, and a fun twist of silliness.
Pam
This was my first introduction to Sandra Boynton's work and boy is it good! This is a great example of a few well chosen, well placed words put together with great illustrations to make a wonderful book. We love it!
=[ 3 34 Jun 25, 2011 05:35AM
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Hug
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Yummy Yucky
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • You're All My Favorites
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Tails
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • The Very Lonely Firefly
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books) Pajama Time!