Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #17)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In science fiction's early days, stories often looked past 1984 to the year 2000 as the far unknowable future. Here now, on the brink of the twenty-first century, the future remains as distant and as unknowable as ever . . . and science fiction stories continue to explore it with delightful results:

Collected in this anthology are such imaginative gems as:

"The Wedding Album
Published August 12th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Erik Graff
Jun 22, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: Nate Gregory
Shelves: sf
Gardner Dozois' annual science fiction collections were first brought to my attention by my neighbor, Nate. Then, later, I noticed quite a number of them at the San Francisco home of another friend. Nate's an SF fan, but Tom, the other fellow, is more oriented towards straight science. Together, their recommendatons led me to buy one of the annuals, then to trade it for another with Nate. These two collections and a partial perusal of a third collection at Tom's home allow me to recommend the se ...more
Roddy Williams
A decent crop of stories from 1999 many of which seem preoccupied with the theme - either subtly or overtly - of longevity or perhaps to be more accurate the preservation of body and/or personality.
It's a mixed bag, but the overall quality is high.

The Wedding Album (1999) David Marusek (Asimov's 1999.06)

Marusek takes the basic concept that photographs will develop into 'sims' - 3D sentient captures. He then runs with the idea on a surprising and twisting journey into the future.

10 to 16 to 1 (
Joe
Rob
Aug 25, 2008 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pasty scifi nerds on a beach vacation
A dense volume packed full of a nice variety of scifi and fantasy from some well-known authors (and a few I'd never heard of). It just happened to be on the shelf at the beach house we rented for our '07 vacation. So when I finished A Dirty Job and Oryx and Crake and Cat's Eye, this one was there to fill in.

Includes:
* "The Wedding Album" by David Marusek -
* "10^16 to 1" by James Patrick Kelly -
* "Winemaster" by Robert Reed
* "Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds -
* "Dapple: A Hwarhath Hist
SmokingMirror
4.5 "The Sky-Green Blues" Tanith Lee A story that amazed me. It's the fall of Saigon or Pnomn Penh. until it's something different. I'm not certain that rereading this might be a letdown; the imagery is familiar though beautifully evoked, but the scenario is familiar. The elements that looked to become stereotypes were addressed by the end of the story. Recommended for any Tanith Lee fan.
Chris
FOUR WOMEN. FOUR. OUT OF TWENTY-SEVEN. I didn't do the research to check the ratio of authors of colour, but I'm pretty sure it's low to nonexistent; and, as usual, the authors are all Anglophones. Can you really say this is the 'year's best' when you haven't considered the rest of the world? I understand that the editor is somewhat constrained by other people's choices in a reprint anthology, but Dozois was a magazine editor himself at the time, so I don't let him off on those grounds. I might ...more
Waleed Sarwani
This was a tough read for me. I'm not sure if it was because of the genre or the short story format. I used to be a huge sci if fan as a teenager but I gradually got bored of it. I thought the short story format might be an interesting way to see how the genre has changed and the book really did open my eyes to different flavours of science fiction writing, not just the "alien space adventures" type of stories that I always associated with it. A good story is a good story no matter what the genr ...more
Lord Humungus

Even if it's not one of my favorites in the series, there was loads of good stuff, including memorable pieces by Reed, Baxter, Richard Wadholm, Karl Schroeder, Charles Sheffield, Walter Jon Williams, Resnick, and Sean Williams. My favorite story was David Marusek's "The Wedding Album", which I thoroughly enjoyed but I sadly can't remember why, :). This was my first introduction to Alastair Reynolds whose space opera I would later come to enjoy. There's also Swanwick's "Scherzo with Tyrannosaur"
Richard Anderson
Liked about half of these.
February Four
Skipped some stories, but LOVED some others. I can't remember which I particularly enjoyed, and the e-book reader I have (Sony PRS-505) is not very conducive to paging through to look for them, but I usually expect hits and misses in story collections anyway, and as long as there are enough hits to keep me happy, that's the main thing. This book had the hits, definitely. (I think I only skipped four stories, but I can't remember which ones.)
Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Patrick
1/25/12: "How We Lost the Moon: A True Story by Frank W. Allen" by Paul J. McAuley
1/28/12: "The Dragon of Pripyat" by Karl Schroeder
1/28/12: "Written in Blood" by Chris Lawson
2/2/12: "Daddy's World" by Walter Jon Williams
2/2/12: "Mount Olympus" by Ben Bova
Charl
As with any "Best of" collection, there were a couple I ended up skipping, many that I enjoyed, and one or two that made me pause to think about.
Liz
A few great stories, some not to my taste. But that's why we read story collections, right?
Streator Johnson
As all of them are, a FIVE STAR collection of the year's best Sci-fi.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Sadeyjade
Sadeyjade marked it as to-read
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • 50 Short Science Fiction Tales
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection