Start by marking “Holy Bible: New King James: New Testament” as Want to Read:

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  21 reviews
NEW FEATURES

Re-voiced

Re-mastered

Introductions to each book of the Bible

This newly dramatized edition blends Stephen Johnston's narration with the voices of dozens of award winning actors along with sound effects and background music to achieve a powerful production that brings the Bible to life for today's listeners. This new edition also adds helpful and informativ

Hardcover, New King James
Published December 1st 1979 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Robyn
I love reading about what Jesus did while he was on the earth; his insights, wisdom and ability to not let the Pharisees & Saducees 'push his buttons' in inspiring, to say the least...
Joel Curtiss
I find that this edition helps many better understand the New Testament truths from the Majority Text Greek to more modern English.
John
Outstanding audio production. I'm trying to get through the entire bible (for literature/culture/history reasons) and this radio production carries me through it (finished the new testamemt, trying to get through the old--still very good!).

There are really detailed sound effects: birds, rain, doors opening, the sound of flesh being pounded by stones during stonings, the sound of heads rolling after beheadings (I'm pretty sure that effect was given for John the Baptist, but it's been awhile. I d
Stephen Escalera
It seems that lately there are more and more audio Bibles available. When I was growing up, perhaps the best or at least the best-known version was the one read by Alexander Scourby. His deep voice and precise pronunciation in reading the King James Version still resonates in my head.

In The Word of Promise: New Testament (NKJV) , Thomas Nelson's addition to the audio Bible offerings is unique and well done. Instead of relying on a sole narrator, the Bible is read by a cast of members, giving the
Amanda
I'm currently listening to the New King James Version of the New Testament, narated by...Johnny Cash! And frankly, I really really like it! He has the most pleasant and earnest reading voice. Reading the whole New Testament has been a goal of mine for a long time, so it is quite pleasant to find this narration of same by a man I admire who I am wishing had narrated more while he was still with us.

Update -- I got sidetracked with a bunch of library books and summer, and Johnny's rendition of the
Renee
What a wonderful 20-CD collection of the NKJV of the Holy Bible. As I listened to the books of the Bible brought together by over one hundred actors, I could literally hear the amount of work that went into this project. I believe that the Bible is brought to life by the Holy Spirit and not man...with this being said, I believe that the Holy Spirit has definitely blessed this undertaking and those involved.

I've listened to a few audio Bibles and this rank within the best of them. The words spoke
Jerry
Many people either read the Bible in a monotone voice, or have heard it read that way. I never have liked that; I've always felt that, whether it's stories, prophecies, poems, or letters, there was emotion behind what was said and written in the Good Book. Not only does "The Word of Promise" do a great job of dramatizing the New King James Version of the Bible, but it is also a very helpful Bible study tool. To hear each and every word said clearly makes you notice things that you probably would ...more
Brenda
My thoughts on this one are going to be pretty straightforward and unsurprising. As a Christian, it's no secret that I hold the Bible close to my heart.

This particular rendition of the New Testament is just wonderful. Sometimes it's hard to find time to sit down and read the Bible. There are always other things to do--run the kids to sports games or dance class, laundry, house cleaning, driving to and from work, getting in some exercise. But the beauty of this audio Bible is that you can listen
Nancy Graham
Would give this audio theater version 4 1/2 stars. At points: brilliant performances with solid audio sweetening. On occasion: stilted performances that sound-too-much-like-affected-reading with disruptive orchestration. On the whole, the best audio version I've heard. I especially like Lou Diamond Philips's performance of Mark.
Nick
Although this is the most important single book in the history of the world, you cannot ignore the obvious historical problems associated with it. For example, in Mark and John, Jesus is executed on 2 different days entirely. Or in the OT, how some guy tried to protect a traveling stranger from being raped by offering his own daughter who he choppped up and sent to the vaious lands of Israel. How is it not obvious hese are all just tales from a ancient Israel that were put in book form, and they ...more
Charles Johnson
Jul 09, 2014 Charles Johnson is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-text
This is an excellent Interlinear, I have used for some time and really like it.
Jason
Absolutely awesome audio Bible. Very professional product. Sound effects and music are well done and complement the spoken Word, not overpower it. It really gives you the feeling of "being there". I found a few of the actor's voices to be perfect for the part they were playing, especially Stacy Keach as the Apostle Paul and of course Jim Caviezel as Jesus. If you have any interest in an audio Bible, this is absolutely the one to get.
Jim
What better way to endure a long commute than filling your heart and mind with God's word! Production value is above par - better than most radio plays. It really puts you in the moment as if you were there. If only you could drive with your eyes closed (do not attempt this- drive was on closed test road) so as to let your mind totally visualize it more!
Dominique
I have now read the NT in a week and am now re-reading it. Powerful way to read the Bible. The book of Revelation totally blew me away.

I have now added this audio/CD version into my daily schedule and it has become my 'daily reading'.

I highly recommend it.

Now off to buy the OT to go with it!
Nick
Any time you can experience the Scriptures in a fresh way is a good thing. The sound effects really draw you into the story and the book of Revelation was made for a surround sound system. There were moments where I was overcome with emotion. I'm looking forward to getting the OT release.
Beth Kirby
What a wonderful resource for learning about the life of the Savior and the works of his apostles!

The Book of Revelation needs to be read carefully and probably more than once to understand all of the imagery, but it is worth the effort.
Andrew
I really liked the music that worked really well with this edition. The one thing I didn't like was a little too much dead air between sections. It was nice to read the Word of God right after a questioning book such as "Zealot".
Penny
Jan 16, 2011 Penny is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listening-to
Actually I'm listening to the NKJV Word of Promise Complete Audio Bible
It seems to be a stunning audio play of the bible and it's really gripping. PS
§--
I would like to thank the Gideon's for this, though I would like to apologize to them because reading this made me Catholic.

Laus Deo!
Jean
i cannot read greek
otherwise i m certain i would give it 5 stars
Andy Mitchell
Best NKJV audio performance of all time.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Bonga
Bonga marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Ruth
Ruth is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita