Start by marking “Forest of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Forest of Shadows

Forest of Shadows

The dead still hate!

John Backman specializes in inexplicable phenomena. The weirder the better. So when he gets a letter from a terrified man describing an old log home with odd whisperings, shadows that come alive, and rooms that disappear, he can’t resist the call. But the violence only escalates as soon as John arrives in the remote Alaskan village of Shida. Somethin

Published (first published October 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Forest of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest of Shadows

Peter
Mar 11, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Backman's hobby is being a paranormal investigator. He even has his own website called Fearnone.com. One day he receives a letter from Judas Graves from the small town of Shida, Alaska. Judas tell John about this haunted log cabin in his hometown. With the sudden death of John's wife, he decides to pack up and go check this haunted cabin out. He brings along his daughter Jessica, his sister in law Eve and her son Liam. John and his family go to Shida and rent the home were all the haunting ...more
Rich D.
Jan 06, 2015 Rich D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Hunter Shea's work and it always amazes me how he is able to tackle a variety of horror topics in an interesting, creative way. Shea has covered monster tales, hauntings and everything in between and all of his works have become favorites of mine. So when I was offered a chance to join the blog tour for his latest novel, Island of the Forbidden, I jumped at the chance. The novel is the third book in a series following the journey of paranormal investigator Jessica Backman and ...more
Toni Sinns
Nov 16, 2012 Toni Sinns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that keeps me giddy and on my toes from the start to the end has me sold. Hunter does this. After reading what the book was about and looking at the cover the book was practically calling me to read it. So I obeyed. I was caught up in the web of characters pretty quickly and found myself peeking into what I thought their fates would hold and to have something change causing my theory to leave and be replaced over again. As his stew of clues, people, personalities, and bump in the night no ...more
Auden Johnson
Jan 29, 2016 Auden Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book was so good. I was surprised and happy at how in to it I was. Haunted house stories are my favorite but they can be difficult to pull off. The author spiced the story with some drama and lot of mystery. It was well balanced. The characters were engaging. Some slightly annoying but those weren't supposed to be likable. The pace was really good, no dull moments. I was racing to the end with excitement and dread. Most horror stories are a bit predictable- you know who's going to live or d ...more
Duane
Hunter Shea's Forest of Shadows is a genuinely creepy ghost story, perfectly paced, and populated with a great cast of characters. Scary, heartfelt, and very memorable. I loved it!
Erin Al-Mehairi
Jul 11, 2012 Erin Al-Mehairi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now until March 15, 2013 check out the news and giveaways at my blog link from Hunter Shea:

Review:

Do shadows lurk around the corner of your home? Press against your window, claw at your door? Does evil claim your territory for their own devices? No, well….you’re not having any fun then. I suggest you get your fix like I did by reading Forest of Shadows by Hunter Shea.

Until you pick up your own copy, or possibly win the giveaway mentioned below, maybe thi
Jeff
Forest of Shadows is a book that just gets creepier as you go one. For a horror/ ghostly story, there is a lot happening in the book to get to its crescendo. Hunter Shea writes his prose with lots of detail. His background with the paranormal, shows thru here.
He write in great detail about his main characters, giving them life, as he gets you to feel real emotions for them as if they were alive.

Some might think that there is a little bit too much detail in the story before anything of any cons
Aniko Carmean
Apr 14, 2012 Aniko Carmean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If a place [is] truly haunted, it [is] haunted during the light of day as well as the night."

Ever since the sudden death of his wife, John has suffered debilitating anxiety. He lives a reclusive life, connected to the world through his daughter and his close friend, Eve. John's other connection is not so much to the world as it is, but to the supernatural. A financial windfall gave him the ability to turn his hobby of paranormal research into a full time pursuit, including running a website. T
Judi
Mar 14, 2015 Judi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first read for this writer and I loved it. Do you like ghosts? Then this is the book for you.

When John Backman loses his wife, he is left alone with his daughter Jessica. John's sister-in-law, Eve who is now divorced from his brother, helps John take care of Jessica. Oh, did I tell you that John won 25 million from the lottery? But three years later and he is still living in the same house and with the loss of his wife, really doesn't feel that he exists. John has always been interest
Kai
Feb 17, 2012 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
After his wife's sudden death, John Backman indulged into his hobby of paranormal. The irony of his wife's death was on the day she died, they won the lotto.

John suffered insomnia after his wife died of a heart attack while she was sleeping. He became afraid of dying in his sleep that way but he knew that he has no cause to be afraid. He came across a case of a haunting in Shida, Alaska.

During his investigation, John, his daughter Jessica, his sister-in-law Eve and her son Liam discovered that
Lindsey
Oct 20, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love me a spine-tingling ghost story, and this one started out with a bang. Hunter Shea is a master at characterization and making you care about his characters, whose personalities are so distinct and so realistic, I felt like I'd known them my whole life. When paranormal investigator John and his family go to a reportedly haunted house in Alaska, I was genuinely worried for all of them.

The spook factor is high in this book, but not as high as in Sinister Entity, which is actually book two. S
David Bernstein
Apr 28, 2012 David Bernstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Hunter Shea's Forest of Shadows. The writing is top-notch. The prologue sets the tone for this creepy experience. The main character is a paranormal investigator who has an open mind for all things "strange" including extra-terrestrial life, although there are no aliens in this tale. This is an atmospheric, mood-setting piece, filled with sadness, mystery, scares, detail and good old fashion fun. From reading the book, you can tell Mr. Shea is either a paranormal buff or did a l ...more
Cate Gardner
Mar 12, 2012 Cate Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forest of Shadows is a claustrophobic tale of a haunted house and the haunted inhabitants of a remote Alaskan town. When John Backman (a bereaved paranormal investigator) and his family move into a supposedly haunted house they find that the threats to their safety are not just from the supernatural but also from the townsfolk. Strangers aren't welcome in Shida; it is a town with secrets that refuse to stay buried.

A chilling tale with an endearing, eclectic and disturbing cast of characters. Nic
SFReader
The Forest of Shadows by Hunter Shea is a horror novel put out by Samhain. I believe it is Hunter's first novel and certainly a fine debut publication on his part. The book has a strong build up and a good deal of suspense. Even though the book focuses on the main character, John, Hunter uses several other points of view to try to flesh out the story and give it a well-rounded feel.

Read the rest of the Forest of Shadows review at SFReader
Frazer Lee
Jan 14, 2012 Frazer Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunter Shea's debut lures you into its mystery via a well drawn and sympathetic protaganist - paranormal investigator/debunker John Backman. After a frenetic, haunted-house-gone-bonkers introduction, the quieter dramatic trade-off between Backman's personal tragedy and sudden good fortune hooks you into the deeper story. Shea's eclectic supporting cast of characters is fun, and each has his/her dark secret to reveal as the tale progresses to a pacy climax. Hunter Shea is the kind of storyteller ...more
Laurel Heidtman
Mar 22, 2015 Laurel Heidtman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, paranormal
I think horror stories are difficult to do well, but Hunter Shea has managed to do it with Forest of Shadows. I was torn between not wanting to put it down and wanting to make it last as long as possible. The characters were realistic and I really cared about what was going to happen to them. The ending was so sweet I got tears in my eyes, which is really an odd thing to happen after reading a book that's truly scary. I think Forest of Shadows would make a great movie, but I know it's a great re ...more
Dan Barbier
Jul 26, 2012 Dan Barbier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunter Shea's Forest of Shadows starts with a bang, then goes slower, telling the story of John Backman's wife' death, his anxiety attacks, his love for his daughter, his friendship to his wife's sister and his passion for the paranormal. The setting, a beautiful expensive house in Alaska is spooky enough and the story becomes creepier and creepier as we go deeper in the small town's history. A fine debut and a great set of characters fill this novel to a satisfying finish.
Mick Ridgewell
Jun 14, 2012 Mick Ridgewell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Backman isn't disappointed when he accepts an invitation to investigate a haunted cabin outside of Shida, Alaska. What he finds isn't just a haunted cabin, he moves into the epicenter of a haunted community.
If you need a balls to the wall sprint, from cover to cover, then Forest of Shadows may not be your cup of tea. This story is like an old kettle. A slow boil that finishes with a scream.
Hunter Shea delivers a finish that is worth the wait.
Summer
Mar 20, 2014 Summer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I read the 'sequel', I already mostly knew what would happen in this book. Which means the suspense of not knowing was gone. And with that gone, most of the enjoyment of reading a book is gone, too. However, it was anything but dull. Maybe I can read more of this author in the future. I need some good horror novels and these do pretty well.
John Heldon
Oct 13, 2012 John Heldon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goose bumps: Here's how to get them. Take Hunter Shea's "Forest of Shadows. Turn off all lights and noises in the house well after dark. Find a chair in a corner, and turn on one reading light. Start to read, and those bumps will be along in no time.
I'm a new fan of the horror genre, and Hunter hooked me on this one. A well written great read.

John Heldon, author of "Ark".
Kristin
This was a solid, but somewhat predictable debut from Shea. The cast of characters seems somewhat rote, but Shea pulls off his story with great gusto. A fun read. It definitely builds momentum, and by the end I found myself deeply invested in the character's fates. I would give this 3.5 stars if goodreads would allow it. I want to see more from Shea, and more from Samhain's new line.
Sheila K
Jan 29, 2013 Sheila K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly interesting, story of parapsychology and the struggle between good and evil. I love the setting of the story of Alaska, in a remote village, the way the reactions of the natives to the "outsiders" plays out. A good fast read.
Kevin Lucia
Very average. Exposition a little slow and ponderous, and - something I see a lot lately - poor pacing. An action prologue, followed by an unexpected - but unexplained - death, and the pace slows down.
Nikki
Nov 01, 2015 Nikki rated it liked it
A twisted tale for horror fans

It had me hooked from the beginning. A mysterious town in Alaska with dark, evil secrets and an amateur ghost hunter create a thrill ride for horror fans.
James Campbell
Mar 21, 2013 James Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well thought out story. A paranormal investigator gets more than he bargained for. It has a mix of heart ache, hidden desire, mystery..... plus some good old spooks to keep you wanting to turn the page.
Randy Evans
Jul 05, 2015 Randy Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunter Shea's "Forest of Shadows" is a ghost story. I'm not a big fan of ghost stories but I am a fan of horror and of Hunter Shea. The story is a good one and is well written so if you like this type of horror you should like this book.
Terri Wino
Jul 06, 2014 Terri Wino rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2015
2-1/2 stars. Good story idea, but just took too long for anything to really happen.
Although I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as I thought I would, I will continue to read Hunter Shea's books.
Amy
Jan 01, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just started reading and realized I read this before. I like the premise....who doesn't like twists on a haunted house plot?
Lorie
Sep 12, 2014 Lorie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great premise, but fails to deliver the chills. Author never gets the right atmosphere for fear, just an average spirit story. I wouldn't recommend it. Plus the writing style is quite amateurish.
Kristen
Started out very interesting and couldn't put it down. Then toward the end it... well, it just became more far-fetched. Still pretty good, but not one I would read again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Sorrows
  • Amador Lockdown
  • The Lamplighters
  • Borealis
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delicacies, #2)
  • Down the Drain
  • The Beast of Boggy Creek The True Story of the Fouke Monster
  • Ghost of a Threat (Betty Boo, Ghost Hunter, #1)
  • The Black: Arrival
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • NightWhere
  • Dark Companions
  • The Late Night Horror Show
  • The Fallen Boys
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
Hunter Shea is the product of a misspent childhood watching scary movies, reading forbidden books and wishing Bigfoot would walk past his house. He doesn’t just write about the paranormal – he actively seeks out the things that scare the hell out of people and experiences them for himself. Hunter’s novels can even be found on display at the International Cryptozoology Museum. His video podcast, Mo ...more
More about Hunter Shea...