Start by marking “Paranormal Love” as Want to Read:
Paranormal Love

Paranormal Love (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,241 Ratings  ·  464 Reviews
Mi chiamo Belle Jamison, e fino a poco tempo fa ero una ragazza come tante altre. Poi ho scoperto di avere dei poteri paranormali, ho incontrato Rome Masters, e tutto a un tratto la mia vita è precipitata nel caos. Lui è l'uomo più sexy che abbia mai visto, e insieme facciamo scintille. Letteralmente. C'è solo un problema: deve uccidermi.
Mass Market Paperback, BlueNocturne, 19, 379 pages
Published July 30th 2010 by Harlequin Mondadori (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Paranormal Love, please sign up.

Autumn Bartsch If you're open minded, I know the fantasy romance authors M.S. Moreland are going to be putting out a superheroes novel similar to this one next year…moreIf you're open minded, I know the fantasy romance authors M.S. Moreland are going to be putting out a superheroes novel similar to this one next year or so... With Gena not seeming really interested in continuing this series, I'm sating myself with looking forward to that.(less)

Shawna
5+ stars – Paranormal Romance

Happy, happy, joy, joy...I loooved this book! I haven’t laughed out loud so hard at such clever, hysterical writing, fun, quirky characters, and sarcastic, snarky dialogue since reading the last book in Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series, but Gena Showalter’s Playing With Fire delivers the goods, in spades! And Belle and Rome are another Cat and Bones type duo!

24-year-old Belle Jamison isn’t having a very easy time lately. She can’t seem to hold down a job for v
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about this book is nipples.

The story itself held promise, I like superpowers, romance, sex and adventure. I just wish that it all came together much better than it did. I do. It's just...well...ok. I'll just come out and say it - Belle was annoying. She was whiny, jealous, flaky and at times quite bitchy. There were instances of her 'softer' side but for the most part she was someone I would have ignored if I had met because I knew that we would
Tammy
Belle Jamison has attitude and she knows how to use it! She is a total screw-up at her lame coffee shop job and being a smart ass is not helping her. The girl can never seem to get things right. She only manages to keep her job because of "titillating" conversations with her pervy boss. (HaHa!)

Disaster strikes one day when a mad scientist comes running into the coffee shop and drops a secret potion in Belle's drink. Enter sub-government agencies and a super delicious hunk named Rome.

I loved th
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Belle Jamison is quite the heroine in this superhero-themed paranormal romance. She’s very ordinary, a working stiff like most of us. Sailing from menial job to menial job (keeping none very long), with good intentions. She wants to take care of her ailing dad who sacrificed so much for her. One day, she literally runs into a mad scientist who doses her with a special formula in her mocha latte. A formula that makes her able to harness all the elements: earth, wind, fire, air and water. That put ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
Main characters:
Belle Brooks
Rome Masters

Why I added the book:
I signed up for UTCs Gena Showalter challenge

Thoughts:
The book has the feel of an X-men movie mixed up with some James Bond, it was good :D. Gena has created a seemingly ditzy heroine and has paired her with the strong, silent type hero, just imagine the sparks that fly.
The plot is well-executed and it keeps you on the edge of the seat: Belle has her coffee spiked by a crazy scientist with a formula that gives her power over the el
Sammy Loves Books
This was a fun light read about a flighty girl with a lot of spunk that can't hold a job. Anyway something happens to her while at work and she walks away with super powers. Kinda cool. This book is written in 1st person and Belle, the star of the book, is really funny, flighty and sometimes a pain in the ass. But very endearing and I found myself pulling for her and Rome (love interest in story) to work out. I give this book 3 stars cause it was an easy fun summer read with a few hot scenes.
P.A. Lupton
Nov 21, 2014 P.A. Lupton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book had EVERYTHING I love in a novel. It was awesome! Gena Showalter is one of those authors I forget about for some reason, but then I pick up one of her novels and I remember how much I love her. It’s like finding a hidden gem every time.

This was such a fun read. Gena Showalter gives good dialogue. I always find myself grinning from ear to ear, or chuckling over something one of the characters says. The plot is fast-paced and I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters are f
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4 Stars

Read for the 2015 TBR Challenge--June--More Than One. The challenge is hosted by Wendy the Super Librarian.

I bought Playing with Fire from a used bookstore almost five years ago right after discovering Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series. I was intrigued by the blurb yet, like so many books that I am reading for this challenge, it got lost on my TBR shelf and I never picked it up. I have three other Gena Showalter books on my TBR shelf so I thought this would be the perfect mo
marlene
Nov 02, 2009 marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i wish i didn't wait so long to get to this series. this book was all kinds of hysterical while still being action packed and giving me my fill of hot firey scenes. The story was fast paced and a quick read. this is one of those books you just cant put down.

Bell is my kind of gal. she's full of snark and not afraid to use it. she's witty, sharp, and incredibly loyal to those she cares about. all of that was before she drank the latte that contained a secret formula to give her superpowers over t
Zeek
Nov 02, 2010 Zeek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, romance, own
I really love Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series so I'm sorta working my way through her backlist. Playing with Fire came out a couple years back and at the time I remember it getting a generally good reception around the review blogs. Although I can't say as it hit as high for me as The Lords, I found it to be an all right read- but probably only if you're a hardcore paranormal romance fan like me!

In Playing with Fire our heroine, Belle Jamison, is secretly dosed with a formula that bri
Jess
Dec 25, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reluctant to read this one, and it was all due to a misunderstanding. I was under the impression that this was a YA book, and I'm always a little leery to try YA books. This was completely the opposite of what I was expecting.

I think it's a unique topic in a way. This girl named Belle is sort of down on her luck. She's looking for another job to help support her ailing father, and currently she's working in a coffee shop. During her shift, this guy in a lab coat comes running in and th
Emma
Nov 28, 2011 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swoon, ugh, not-for-me
So I have this friend which i love to death, she's fun, quirky, sarcastic and knows exactly what to say at the right time to produce a laugh. This friend however comes with a condition: handle in small doses. Its the clause that never fails with us because the relationship doesnt get boring and i dont over-indulge in something that becomes tedious when spending each and every day together.

So why am I telling you this? Because the first quarter of this book I actually liked the main character. Be
Anja
Aug 17, 2010 Anja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Laura the Highland Hussy
I had no clue this book would be as awesome as it was! If anyone has this waiting in their to-red piles, pick it up now! It is awesome. The whole book is so fantastic. I should never have doubted the wise Gena Showalter who has yet to let me down. I think my favorite part about this book is that if you've ever read an interview with GS, she is Belle. The way she talks, the way she thinks, totally sounds like GS. Being written in first person probably made this such a fun role for her to write.
I
Summer
Playing with Fire is about a young woman who is an unhappy worker at a coffee shop, trying to support her elderly father at a retirement home. By chance all that changes when a secret formula is poured into her coffee one day and she turns into a genuine superhero, including a sidekick plus a love interest with his own superpowers. It was an easy read and I read most of it in one sitting. Some parts made me laugh out loud and the tension between the heroine and her love interest was really good. ...more
Merve  Özcan
Bellenin kahvesine gizli bir formül gizlice dökülünce 4 element üzerinde hakimiyet kurabiliyor. tabi Paranormal ajanslar onun peşinde Rome adlı bir panter adam onu kullanıp kendi kızı Sunny'i kurtarmayı planlarken aşık oluyorlar. Düşman paranormal ajansın lideri bunları kaçırdığında onu öldürüyorlar, Ancak Belle bu kötülerin iyisi olan ajansla anlaşma yapıyor. Aslında dünyayı paranormal tehlikelerden kurtarmanın hayalindeki meslek olduğunu düşünüyor.

kitap gerçekten güzeldi.Karakter çok güzel otu
Anita
How did I not know about this book? I've read a bunch by Gena Showalter, but only recently got to this one. It was written in 2006 and the sequel comes out next year - maybe it's growing a cult following. If it is, it's deserved; I loved the heroine's spunk (her name is Belle Jamison) and the X-men/superhero take on urban fantasy. I laughed out loud several times even though most of the book is an action-adventure with some significant romantic tension thrown in. Highly recommended.

Basic idea:
Future Slayer Girl
Just when I think that Gena Showalter can’t get any more clever than she already is. I go and read Playing with Fire and I find myself totally giggy.

The whole story from beginning to end was exciting, it was a wild ride that had a few moments of down time, that were much needed mind to you, then kicked back into gear with nail biting scenes that you could totally see play out in your head.

Think of X Men meets The Breeds. Only because they created a shifter out of Rome, and the government is at
Tracy
Jul 13, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tracy by: Tracy Burley
If you are looking for a fun, playful book that features a couple with so much chemistry you won’t want to stop reading, this is the book for you. Seriously, this book will have you laughing out loud (literally) or breathing a little heavier with every few pages (perhaps both, at times). In some ways, Belle and Rome, our heroine and hero, very much remind me of Cat and Bones from Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series. They have great lighthearted banter, zinging one-liners and an electrifying a ...more
Melinda
Apr 13, 2010 Melinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ami
The good: the supporting characters are really enjoyable

The bad: oh gosh, the main heroine is VERY ANNOYING!!! first chapters she was okay, i enjoyed her witty comments. it was hilarious at first, sort of like reading chic-lit. but then after she met the hero, she was oh my gosh, whiny and it irked me.

The ugly: here i thought i will get a good PNR book, but instead this is basically a chic-lit, only the girl has superpower. i like PNR to be gritty and more meaty than this *sigh* and gosh, while
~Tina~
This was a fun book!
Since reading Ill Wind by Rachel Caine, I'm loving the concept of controlling the four elements; fire, wind, water and earth, and Playing with Fire has a humorous and entertaining way to make that shine.
These characters are amazingly full of life. Belle is crude, rude and one feisty gal while Rome is delicious in every way shape and form. Together they make one outstanding, steamy team.
I'm not sure I care very much for the very-hyper-endless-stream-of-thoughts style of writi
Lupdilup Duffy
Jun 07, 2011 Lupdilup Duffy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
2. 1/2 stars...I forced myself to finished this book, I really wish I'd read it instead of listening to it, I love, love Gena Showalter!!, I adore her Lords of the Underworld series, but I don't know what happened here!... I knew I was in trouble when I first started listening to the book and the narrator sounded like she was 13 years old! and then she delivered the dialogue like it was a character from the movie Clueless, and even tho that's one of my favorite movies(yes it is!) it didn't work ...more
Julia
Read 7 chapters and that’s enough. This book is not for me. Belle can’t keep a job, then, while a barrista she drinks some latte with a secret formula in it that makes her a superhero. Every time Belle looks at Rome she wants to jump his bones.

At one point she thinks, "Apparently the more time I spent with him, the lower my IQ dropped." (p.89) I felt the same way, reading the book. But I’ve just picked up Shiver, Hunger Games and The Rabbi’s Cat at the library and got Leviathan for Hanukah.
Heather C
I read this book when it was first released in 2006, I think. I'm doing a re-read so I can read the sequal Twice as Hot
Gus
Somewhere between a four and a five star for me. I liked it, it was cute and I surprisingly liked the main character (perhaps because she's a barista too?). The romance was hot and the action was good as well. I can't wait to read more Gena Showalter now!
Diana
Nov 24, 2008 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise, but I just can't give more stars when I absolutely could not stand the so-called heroine. She couldn't have been a more annoying, whiny brat. I don't understand this since the other characters were really very enjoyable.
~Kate~
I only bought this at the beginning of the month but with it being a Gena Showalter book I knew I couldn't wait a moment longer, plus I had been after this book for years but could never find a copy but it was well worth the wait.

This is the more updated book cover which I am so pleased I bought as this one far outshines the original book cover. I love the fact that it is in keeping with the book and even with the title. I also love the use of colours as the use of orange and blacks give the eff
Frezanda
The idea is interesting. But I just can't stand the sexual innuendo between the main characters. The intimacy's just too fast. And rather shallow actually.
Georgina Parkin
2.5 stars.

This review is also on my blog

Alright, so I didn't end up liking this, and I totally love Gena Showalter! Love love love! But I even considered giving this only one star! For me personally, everything just went too far. I felt like everything was just over funny. I found myself not laughing when I knew I was meant to be. I didn't feel anything for the characters, which is a major must for me.

(view spoiler)
Gena Showalter Fans: Playing with Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl #1) 2 16 Jul 26, 2012 08:40AM
  • Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1)
  • Mysteria (Mysteria, #1)
  • Skin Game (Skin, #1)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey #2)
  • The Bodyguard (Includes: T-FLAC, #14.5)
  • Forbidden Magic (Magic, #1)
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes: Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #3.5)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Hunting Season (The Gathering #1)
  • The Werewolf's Wife
  • Before I Wake (Nightmare Chronicles, #1)
  • Through the Veil (Veil, #1)
  • Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2)
  • Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère: Children of the Moon, #1)
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

Tales of an Extraordinary Girl (2 books)
  • Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl #2)

“...the devil on my right shoulder must have brutally strangled the angel on my left...” 268 likes
“The golden rays of the moon paid him absolute tribute. He was a buffet of muscles and corded strength.” 24 likes