Start by marking “The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)

The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas #7)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,737 Ratings  ·  887 Reviews
Where do you run to when your life has fallen apart?

Lucy Jorik is a champ at never embarrassing the family she adores—not surprising since her mother is one of the most famous women in the world. But now Lucy has done just that. And on her wedding day, no less, to the most perfect man she's ever known.

Instead of saying "I do" to Mr. Irresistible, Lucy flees the church in a
Published July 10th 2012 by William Morrow (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Escape

Can't Wait Books of 2012
162nd out of 2,454 books — 15,879 voters
Onyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutInsurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareLover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene Frost
Most Expected Romance Books 2012
60th out of 424 books — 1,484 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Sharon♥
Aug 27, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing
Okay friends! I’ve come to the end of the road with the Wynette Texas series. What a freaking fun and amazing ride it has been. The leading men, the leading ladies, the side characters, the humor, the sex, and the banter allowed for such creative and easy flowing storylines. SEP ROCKS! I’d love to meet her someday, share a glass of wine and ask her how the heck she comes up these stories. I wonder what or who her inspirations are.

photo 0b4421db47e2e618bb73f4e7a2bcc271_zpsnov4bqrn.jpg

In The Great Escape we get Lucy Jorik’s story. She has made her e
Karen
Aug 12, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. I’ve finally reached the end of the Wynette Texas Series. And I have cherished each and every story. I heard a whisper on the wind that there may be an eighth book???!!! PLEASE YES! If not, I know I will be re-reading these books for years to come.

The Great Escape is Lucy Jorik’s story. We first met Lucy as a surly but frightened fourteen year old girl in First Lady. Left orphaned by an alcoholic and neglectful mother, Lucy was forced to grow up fast
Jill
Mar 05, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it

He jerked his head toward the rear of his bike. "Wanna go for a ride?"

Lucy Jorik has just run out on the most perfect man in the world on her wedding day. And made the great escape from Wynette on the back of a motorbike with a stranger named Panda.

The Great Escape is the sequel to Call Me Irresistible where Ted (Lucy's fiancé) and Meg (Lucy's best friend) find their hea. The Great Escape runs in parallel time with Call Me Irresistible so while Panda and Lucy are running away, Ted and M
Amanda
There was nothing redeeming about this book for me. Nothing. I was so fed up with it that I finally returned it at 92%. I didn't even care about the ending. I couldn't stand any of the characters. They were all stupid. And annoying. And had no depth. SEP is one of my favorite authors, but I REALLY hated this book.

Ok, here is the rest of my review....I just didn't have the energy to type it out on my phone. I have to say, it about killed me to give SEP a 1 star rating. Even the books that weren'
Sadie
Jun 15, 2014 Sadie rated it did not like it
Wow. You know when you read a book from one of your favorite authors of all times and wonder if it's a test... that she didn't really write this book and you're supposed to call foul?

Also, instead of reading this book, just go rent Chasing Liberty. Same premise, much cuter.

The secondary story felt incomplete, the characters never really connected, the transformations were stilted, the Ah-ha Moments were more like, Yeah? And?

I ADORE Ms. Phillips. I think the woman's whole house and yard belong on

The Great Escape is the seventh and final installment in Susan Elizabeth Phillips's adult contemporary romance series titled: Wynette, Texas. This story follows up on the opening scene from the sixth book: Call Me Irresistible when Lucy plays the role of runaway bride. That story swiftly segued into the groom's new romance, but what happened to Lucy? Well, Ms. Phillips spills it all in The Great Escape...and I loved it!

Ms. Phillips offers readers complex characters who have very complicated but
Jane Stewart
Jan 07, 2015 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt good while reading this. And I felt good at the end.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I’ve read most of her books and gave 4 or 5 stars to all but two. I love her style. I love her dialogue. I love the way her characters bicker and insult each other. It’s her trademark. When I opened this book and began reading I felt like I had just been reunited with an old friend. A lot of her stories are similar, but I like her kind of stories. And I’m so pleased that she doesn’t use my pet peeves.

Some reviewers cla
Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
I wanted to like this book, I really did. But there are just too many irrelevant characters, pointless digressions and tiresome, unnecessary details. Mainly I think it was that I just couldn't connect with the characters (though I did like Bree). Overall, I've enjoyed Call me Irresistible much more than The Great Escape.

That being said, Susan Elizabeth Phillips is still my favorite romance author and I'll definitely be checking out more of her books.
Dija
*Buddy read with Anzu~ You can read her review here.*

3.8/5 stars

After the mega-disappointment Call Me Irresistible was, I was prepared for this one to be at least as bad, if not worse. And really, with a hero named "Panda", how great could it possibly be?

I was spot-on for about the first half or so. Panda was disgusting and I didn't recognize grown-up Lucy at all, who used to be so brave and courageous in First Lady. All the characters were acting like snobs and I was sure this would be another
Anne OK
Jul 10, 2012 Anne OK rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Lucy's made her escape; she ran from Mr. Perfect Ted Beaudine, and now in "The Great Escape" she's hooking up with a biker guy named Panda. Oh but hang on gang, the fun is just beginning. SEP is about to take us on another fun-filled, glorious trip into romanceland where she'll introduce us to another group of unforgettable characters. This one kept me captivated from beginning to ending. A little stretch of the imagination is required but still yet what I expect from one of my favorite contempo ...more
Janelle
Jul 15, 2012 Janelle rated it liked it
I'm a huge SEP fan having, like the reviewer below, read all of her books, soI've been looking forward to Lucy Jorik's story for quite awhile. When I saw that it had finally been released, I wasted no time running down to Barnes and Noble to plunk down my money for the hardcover...

...only to get it home, read it and feel, well, MEH. Super disappointed.

There's a dynamic between the main characters in SEP's previous books that is exciting. The banter is snappy, the chemistry electric. This book s
Miki
Mar 20, 2015 Miki rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read-again
And there goes another writer off my "must read" list. I like -and still re-read- SEP's earlier books. She used to be an automatic HB buy for me. Then she slid down to "wait for the paperback" and from there to "borrow from the library" but now I'm done. No more Ms Phillips from any source. Lucy - who is presented as an intelligent, 30-something woman - leaves her fiance at the altar and runs away with a strange - in EVERY sense of the word - man on a motorcycle, to Find Herself. In order to do ...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer

Oh hell I fell asleep while reading. Again.

But wait! Holy shitting mushrooms I rated a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book one star. ONE STAR! Painful. It was so painful.

The Great Escape was supposed to be the book that makes up for the epic fail that was Call Me Irresistible. And the sad thing is that at least I managed to finish Call Me Irresistible. I could not finish The Great Escape. My main reason is its dullness. I miss the good ol’ times when Susan Elizabeth Phillips used to write nice books.
Nancy
Jul 08, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing book for me. The basic story line is that Lucy is to marry the perfect man, Ted, and runs away. Conveniently, Tough Motorcycle Man who calls himself Panda (!) picks her up and they run away. He's rude, crude and inconsiderate. After a couple of weeks, he dumps her at the airport and tells her to go home. And so she does. She goes to HIS home. She has figured out at least that much. And that he has a great kisser. And that drives her to his summer home in Michigan.

Because
Nisha
Jul 16, 2012 Nisha rated it really liked it
Finally! I'm so excited for Lucy's book, but a hero named Panda... He's got to have a cooler name.
Zeek
Aug 31, 2015 Zeek rated it it was ok
Shelves:
The follow up to Call Me Irresistible (Which I loved btw,) I found The Great Escape to be a let down.

So. The Great Escape starts where the heroine Lucy Jorik exited in the previous book Call Me Irresistible. She’s run from Wynette’s favorite son Ted Beaudine, and their wedding of the century- and she’s done it on the back of a motorbike with a disreputable guy whom is sure to be a big mistake. That being Panda, a friend of Ted’s she just met the night before. (yeah Panda. I don’t think we ever
Keri
Feb 10, 2016 Keri rated it it was amazing
4.50 This was a real roller coaster of 3 romances in one. Let me just say that I am huge SEP fan and have a hard time giving a unbiased review, but will give it my best shot. Lucy has skipped out on her big wedding to the perfect Ted Beaudine and ends up on the back on the bike of bad boy "Panda". Now I knew right off the bat that the trappings of horrible stickers on the motorcycle and t shirts with horrible sayings were just camouflage for Panda, so none of that stuff bothered me. Lucy decides ...more
Lissa D'Angelo
Feb 28, 2013 Lissa D'Angelo rated it it was amazing
Sigo a Susan desde los 18 años, tal vez más, tal vez menos, no soy buena con las fechas, pero me parece que ha sido toda una vida.
Cada libro mejor que el anterior, cada historia más loca que la otra.
Comprenderán que con esta mujer es difícil escoger un protagonista preferido, pero aún así tengo los míos, cof cof Kevin y Dean. El caso es... SEP es de esas autoras con las que te vas a la segura, de esos escritores por los que esperarías diez años con tal de que te de ese libro, esa dosis, tu droga
Hirondelle
Jul 27, 2012 Hirondelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Overly Attached Girlfriend is the daughter of a former president of the USA and meets a guy named Panda. That is it. And i thought it was awful, and stuffy and unconvincing. Oh well, at least it was a loan.

I should explain why I read this. 10 years ago I thought her books were so cute, so fun in a nice but materialistic, slightly trashy way, like a nice gentler Judith Krantz (misspent youth with few books, sorry). Light fluffy stuff. I might have gotten pickier, but the books have also IMO becam
Nicola Marsh
Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the only author who can pull me away from my own writing.

I read this in 2 days, which means I put my own deadlines on hold and fed leftovers to my kids.

The romance between Lucy Jorik and 'Panda' Patrick Shade is flawed and volatile and oh so satisfying.

Adore SEP's books.
Each and every one of them.
Amanda
Nov 08, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Leona
Aug 07, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
What's interesting is that after setting the book down for a day and declaring it a DNF with a 1 star rating, I felt compelled to pick it back up and try again. After all, this is SEP one of the best authors out there in romance and chick lit. How could I not give it one more try.

I found that once other characters started showing up (Toby, Bree, Mike, Max, Temple) things started moving and I became absorbed and engaged, just like other SEP favorites.

This is definitely a book of two halves. I d
Tara Chevrestt
Jul 06, 2012 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2012-release
This book was just so fun... I didn't expect much from it either. I've never read this author before and I did not realize until it landed on my doorstep that it was part of a series, so I was afraid that I would be lost...

Not only does the book standalone just fine, but I loved it so much and laughed so hard, I immediately made sure a previous one is on its way to my door.

Lucy is the heroine and she was adopted by the president...so she has always felt out of place and naturally, every time she
willaful
This story was all over the place. I tried skipping ahead and kept running into different new plots each time I randomly opened the book, none of which interested me in the slightest, so I gave up.
Rosanne
Oct 02, 2011 Rosanne marked it as to-read
Panda is a stupid name. The first thing that popped in my head was "I love you beary much!". Ugh!
Misha
Jul 18, 2012 Misha rated it did not like it
I am not a book critic...I am an avid book reader, and since I was 16 years old, Susan Elizabeth Phillips has been one of my favorite authors. I'm one of the few who places her release date on my calendar and run to Barnes and Nobles to purchase her hardcover because I don't care how much her books cost; I just want a great read. I say this to establish my loyalty to her, and explain to anyone reading this post, that I say this out of genuine affection and nostalgia of her other books.

I am truly
Ian
Jul 17, 2012 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

"She came closer to the bike and saw a battered Texas license plate along with a dog-eared bumper sticker that covered part of the worn leather seat. The print had faded, but she could still make out the words.

GAS, GRASS, OR ASS. NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE."

The Great Escape is a book that is trying just a little too hard in my opinion. It has all the ingredients for an entertaining romp, but it never quite manages to pull it off.

It is the story of Lucy and Panda. Lucy is running from the
Crista
After being somewhat disappointed in the last few SEP releases, I am happy to say that the SEP that I know and love is back with this one! It has all her trademark humor, memorable scenes, and quirky characters. It was incredible from beginning to end, and for those who have grown weary from her past couple of realeases...give this one a chance!

There are three main story lines in this book. Had I loved all of these charaters/stories, this would've been a 5 star read, but unfortunately one of the
Carol
Aug 23, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Does Susan Elizabeth Phillips have a deal with her publishing house that they sprinkle some sort of addictive drug on all of the pages of her books? Something that enters through your fingertips and makes you race through her books, ignoring lunch hours and bedtimes? No? Then I guess it's just the appealing characters and lovingly-crafted scenarios that have that effect on me!

Another fun read. This book centers on Lucy, the President's daughter from First Lady and briefly glimpsed as she escaped
Madison Mega-Mara...: #50 The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips 1 2 Mar 31, 2015 05:06PM
Wanna read this now 9 63 Nov 05, 2012 04:38PM
  • Rescue Me (Lovett, Texas, #3)
  • Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)
  • Somebody to Love (Gideon's Cove, #3)
  • Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)
  • That Thing Called Love (Razor Bay #1)
  • Can't Hurry Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #2)
  • I Want Candy (Bigler, North Carolina #2)
  • Betrayal (Scarlet Deception #3)
  • Real Men Will (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #3)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Wynette, Texas (7 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)
  • Glitter Baby (Wynette, Texas #3)
  • First Lady (Wynette, Texas #4)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas #5)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas #6)

“You have a college degree? You can barely talk.” 15 likes