The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)

The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas #7)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  7,317 ratings  ·  748 reviews
Where do you run to when your life has fallen apart?

Lucy Jorik is a champ at never embarrassing the family she adores—not surprising since her mother is one of the most famous women in the world. But now Lucy has done just that. And on her wedding day, no less, to the most perfect man she's ever known.

Instead of saying "I do" to Mr. Irresistible, Lucy flees the church in a...more
Published July 10th 2012 (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Escape

Can't Wait Books of 2012
161st out of 2,507 books — 15,922 voters
Onyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutInsurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareLover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene Frost
Most Expected Romance Titles 2012
60th out of 413 books — 1,473 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill

He jerked his head toward the rear of his bike. "Wanna go for a ride?"

Lucy Jorik has just run out on the most perfect man in the world on her wedding day. And made the great escape from Wynette on the back of a motorbike with a stranger named Panda.

The Great Escape is the sequel to Call Me Irresistible where Ted (Lucy's fiancé) and Meg (Lucy's best friend) find their hea. The Great Escape runs in parallel time with Call Me Irresistible so while Panda and Lucy are running away, Ted and M...more
Amanda
There was nothing redeeming about this book for me. Nothing. I was so fed up with it that I finally returned it at 92%. I didn't even care about the ending. I couldn't stand any of the characters. They were all stupid. And annoying. And had no depth. SEP is one of my favorite authors, but I REALLY hated this book.

Ok, here is the rest of my review....I just didn't have the energy to type it out on my phone. I have to say, it about killed me to give SEP a 1 star rating. Even the books that weren'...more
Jane Stewart
I felt good while reading this. And I felt good at the end.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I’ve read most of her books and gave 4 or 5 stars to all but two. I love her style. I love her dialogue. I love the way her characters bicker and insult each other. It’s her trademark. When I opened this book and began reading I felt like I had just been reunited with an old friend. A lot of her stories are similar, but I like her kind of stories. And I’m so pleased that she doesn’t use my pet peeves.

Some reviewers cla...more
Sadie
Wow. You know when you read a book from one of your favorite authors of all times and wonder if it's a test... that she didn't really write this book and you're supposed to call foul?

Also, instead of reading this book, just go rent Chasing Liberty. Same premise, much cuter.

The secondary story felt incomplete, the characters never really connected, the transformations were stilted, the Ah-ha Moments were more like, Yeah? And?

I ADORE Ms. Phillips. I think the woman's whole house and yard belong on...more
Dija
*Buddy read with Anzu~ You can read her review here.*

3.8/5 stars

After the mega-disappointment Call Me Irresistible was, I was prepared for this one to be at least as bad, if not worse. And really, with a hero named "Panda", how great could it possibly be?

I was spot-on for about the first half or so. Panda was disgusting and I didn't recognize grown-up Lucy at all, who used to be so brave and courageous in First Lady. All the characters were acting like snobs and I was sure this would be another...more
Janelle
I'm a huge SEP fan having, like the reviewer below, read all of her books, soI've been looking forward to Lucy Jorik's story for quite awhile. When I saw that it had finally been released, I wasted no time running down to Barnes and Noble to plunk down my money for the hardcover...

...only to get it home, read it and feel, well, MEH. Super disappointed.

There's a dynamic between the main characters in SEP's previous books that is exciting. The banter is snappy, the chemistry electric. This book s...more
Anne OK
Lucy's made her escape; she ran from Mr. Perfect Ted Beaudine, and now in "The Great Escape" she's hooking up with a biker guy named Panda. Oh but hang on gang, the fun is just beginning. SEP is about to take us on another fun-filled, glorious trip into romanceland where she'll introduce us to another group of unforgettable characters. This one kept me captivated from beginning to ending. A little stretch of the imagination is required but still yet what I expect from one of my favorite contempo...more
Miki
And there goes another writer off my "must read" list. I like -and still re-read- SEP's earlier books. She used to be an automatic HB buy for me. Then she slid down to "wait for the paperback" and from there to "borrow from the library" but now I'm done. No more Ms Phillips from any source. Lucy - who is presented as an intelligent, 30-something woman - leaves her fiance at the altar and runs away with a strange - in EVERY sense of the word - man on a motorcycle, to Find Herself. In order to do...more
Nancy
This was a disappointing book for me. The basic story line is that Lucy is to marry the perfect man, Ted, and runs away. Conveniently, Tough Motorcycle Man who calls himself Panda (!) picks her up and they run away. He's rude, crude and inconsiderate. After a couple of weeks, he dumps her at the airport and tells her to go home. And so she does. She goes to HIS home. She has figured out at least that much. And that he has a great kisser. And that drives her to his summer home in Michigan.

Because...more
Nisha
Finally! I'm so excited for Lucy's book, but a hero named Panda... He's got to have a cooler name.
Anzu The Great Destroyer

Oh hell I fell asleep while reading. Again.

But wait! Holy shitting mushrooms I rated a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book one star. ONE STAR! Painful. It was so painful.

The Great Escape was supposed to be the book that makes up for the epic fail that was Call Me Irresistible. And the sad thing is that at least I managed to finish Call Me Irresistible. I could not finish The Great Escape. My main reason is its dullness. I miss the good ol’ times when Susan Elizabeth Phillips used to write nice books....more
Amanda
Keri
4.50 This was a real roller coaster of 3 romances in one. Let me just say that I am huge SEP fan and have a hard time giving a unbiased review, but will give it my best shot. Lucy has skipped out on her big wedding to the perfect Ted Beaudine and ends up on the back on the bike of bad boy "Panda". Now I knew right off the bat that the trappings of horrible stickers on the motorcycle and t shirts with horrible sayings were just camouflage for Panda, so none of that stuff bothered me. Lucy decides...more
Hirondelle
Overly Attached Girlfriend is the daughter of a former president of the USA and meets a guy named Panda. That is it. And i thought it was awful, and stuffy and unconvincing. Oh well, at least it was a loan.

I should explain why I read this. 10 years ago I thought her books were so cute, so fun in a nice but materialistic, slightly trashy way, like a nice gentler Judith Krantz (misspent youth with few books, sorry). Light fluffy stuff. I might have gotten pickier, but the books have also IMO becam...more
Nicola Marsh
Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the only author who can pull me away from my own writing.

I read this in 2 days, which means I put my own deadlines on hold and fed leftovers to my kids.

The romance between Lucy Jorik and 'Panda' Patrick Shade is flawed and volatile and oh so satisfying.

Adore SEP's books.
Each and every one of them.
Lissa D'Angelo
Sigo a Susan desde los 18 años, tal vez más, tal vez menos, no soy buena con las fechas, pero me parece que ha sido toda una vida.
Cada libro mejor que el anterior, cada historia más loca que la otra.
Comprenderán que con esta mujer es difícil escoger un protagonista preferido, pero aún así tengo los míos, cof cof Kevin y Dean. El caso es... SEP es de esas autoras con las que te vas a la segura, de esos escritores por los que esperarías diez años con tal de que te de ese libro, esa dosis, tu droga...more
Crista
After being somewhat disappointed in the last few SEP releases, I am happy to say that the SEP that I know and love is back with this one! It has all her trademark humor, memorable scenes, and quirky characters. It was incredible from beginning to end, and for those who have grown weary from her past couple of realeases...give this one a chance!

There are three main story lines in this book. Had I loved all of these charaters/stories, this would've been a 5 star read, but unfortunately one of the...more
Leona
What's interesting is that after setting the book down for a day and declaring it a DNF with a 1 star rating, I felt compelled to pick it back up and try again. After all, this is SEP one of the best authors out there in romance and chick lit. How could I not give it one more try.

I found that once other characters started showing up (Toby, Bree, Mike, Max, Temple) things started moving and I became absorbed and engaged, just like other SEP favorites.

This is definitely a book of two halves. I d...more
Carol
Does Susan Elizabeth Phillips have a deal with her publishing house that they sprinkle some sort of addictive drug on all of the pages of her books? Something that enters through your fingertips and makes you race through her books, ignoring lunch hours and bedtimes? No? Then I guess it's just the appealing characters and lovingly-crafted scenarios that have that effect on me!

Another fun read. This book centers on Lucy, the President's daughter from First Lady and briefly glimpsed as she escaped...more
Tara Chevrestt
This book was just so fun... I didn't expect much from it either. I've never read this author before and I did not realize until it landed on my doorstep that it was part of a series, so I was afraid that I would be lost...

Not only does the book standalone just fine, but I loved it so much and laughed so hard, I immediately made sure a previous one is on its way to my door.

Lucy is the heroine and she was adopted by the president...so she has always felt out of place and naturally, every time she...more
Natalia Sulca
Noooo! I finished it! :( I loved this book! Its a must read! I loved all the characters. I loved especially that even though Lucy didn't know who she was, she remained true to herself, and didn't change drastically in the book, internally. I wish I could've seen more of winette, and ted and meg, but alass. We can't have everything. Here's to hoping she comes out with a new book sooner!
Rosanne - Books Are Better Than Pants
Panda is a stupid name. The first thing that popped in my head was "I love you beary much!". Ugh!
Biblio
As a huge SEP fan, I felt kinda bad only giving it 3 stars but I just felt that the same theme is applied to majority of SEP books now. 3 common factors;-

1. Heroine goes to some remote place with the hero where there's just the two of them (too many books have this factor to name - Nobody's baby but mine, Kiss an Angel, Heaven Texas, Dream a Little Dream, Lady be Good, Natural Born Charmer, First Lady, Ain't She Sweet, This Heart of Mine, Call Me Irresistable...)
2. The books have a side love sto...more
Misha
I am not a book critic...I am an avid book reader, and since I was 16 years old, Susan Elizabeth Phillips has been one of my favorite authors. I'm one of the few who places her release date on my calendar and run to Barnes and Nobles to purchase her hardcover because I don't care how much her books cost; I just want a great read. I say this to establish my loyalty to her, and explain to anyone reading this post, that I say this out of genuine affection and nostalgia of her other books.

I am truly...more
Melody
I liked the setting, the storyline and the characters. I was glad that Lucy got her HEA but I found that at times Panda wasn't present enough and this is my main complaint about this book. Concerning the secondary characters, they were some of the best ones of this author and I found them particularly interesting.

The Great Escape may not be the best SEP book in term of romance (at least for the main one) but still I enjoyed it a lot.
Maggie
If you ever wanted to know if a guy named Panda could be smexy (smoldering + sexy, not smelly + sexy), Susan Elizabeth Phillips definitively answers that question. Hot damn. And yes, this is the second Wynette, Texas book I've finished in less than 24 hours.
willaful
This story was all over the place. I tried skipping ahead and kept running into different new plots each time I randomly opened the book, none of which interested me in the slightest, so I gave up.
Ian
3.5 Stars

"She came closer to the bike and saw a battered Texas license plate along with a dog-eared bumper sticker that covered part of the worn leather seat. The print had faded, but she could still make out the words.

GAS, GRASS, OR ASS. NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE."

The Great Escape is a book that is trying just a little too hard in my opinion. It has all the ingredients for an entertaining romp, but it never quite manages to pull it off.

It is the story of Lucy and Panda. Lucy is running from the c...more
Galini
This was a very typical SEP story. If you’ve read at least a couple of her other works you’d be able to predict what’ll exactly happen in this book. A book can be a little predictable, but still remain enjoyable to a reader, but SEP should really stop following the same plot paths she used in half a dozen her other books. It’s getting annoying.

The characters – Lucy and Panda (I didn’t have any problems with this name, tbh, I thought it was cute and cool, lol) – seemed interesting enough, but th...more
Pamela Kramer
"The Great Escape" by Susan Elizabeth Phillips follows the story of Lucy Jorik, daughter of the former president of the United States, after she runs off, leaving her groom practically at the altar. This story follows (or takes place contemporaneously with) "Call Me Irresistible."

The story begins when Lucy decides at the last minute (literally) that she can't marry Ted Beaudine, a handsome, perfect paragon of a guy. While "Call Me Irresistible" covers what happens to Lucy's best friend, Meg Kora...more
Wanna read this now 9 58 Nov 05, 2012 03:38PM
  • Rescue Me (Lovett, Texas, #3)
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4)
  • I Want Candy (Bigler, North Carolina #2)
  • Can't Hurry Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #2)
  • Somebody to Love (Gideon's Cove, #3)
  • Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)
  • All Summer Long (Fool's Gold, #9)
  • Destiny (Serendipity, #2)
  • Betrayal (Bella Terra Deception, #3)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages...more
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6) Kiss an Angel Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7) Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)

“You have a college degree? You can barely talk.” 16 likes