Start by marking “The Vengeful Dead (Jackie Rutledge #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vengeful Dead (Jackie Rutledge #2)

The Vengeful Dead (Jackie Rutledge #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Jackie Rutledge just can't put her past to rest. Her Bureau partner is dead, but not gone. And her sanity is becoming as fragile as her career. Worst of all, her wrenching journey into Deadworld has given her unwanted new abilities--and exhuming memories she hoped to keep buried...

Now a merciless force capable of possessing humans is on a killing spree, killing the guilty
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Vengeful Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vengeful Dead

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Interesting storyline, although a bit draggy. Jackie has one of the worst mouths I've ever encountered on a heroine thus far. Oh, and there is some very brutal violence in this book.

Reviewed for the October issue of Affaire de Coeur magazine. Http://affairedecoeur.com.
Brittany
Agent Jackie Rutledge has been having a hard couple of weeks. She’s being haunted by her dead, long-time partner Laurel, gently harassed by the FBI’s in-house therapist who wants her to spill her guts, and pursued by a sexy vampire named Nick. All Jackie wants to do is get back to work, but she gets more than she bargained for when she gets called in as a special consultant on a brutal homicide case. A very angry murder victim named Rosa wants revenge and will do anything to get it—including pos ...more
Lauren
Agent Jackie Rutledge is still haunted by the death of her partner. She’s falling apart with no anchor and a forced vacation. In comes a vengeance driven serial killer from the wrong side of Deadworld and powers that she doesn’t understand, the side effects of her previous trip into the land of the dead. Jackie’s going to have to pull it together long enough to stop the furious ghost of a grieving mother and prevent herself from becoming suspect number one.

The Vengeful Dead by J.N. Duncan contin
Kathy Davie
Second in the Jackie Rutledge series and revolving around Jackie Rutledge, a grief-stricken FBI agent based in Chicago. The story touches on Jackie and Nick as a couple.

My Take
I liked the first story better. Of course I read it three years ago, so who knows how much I actually remember. Jackie irritates me in this one. Sure, I understand that she's lost her partner of many years, but god, she's so whiny. I know that depression can grab on to you and drag you down. I understand that Jackie is hav
Paranormal Haven
Jackie is a FBI agent who is recovering from her partner’s death. If recovering wasn’t enough she soon finds out that she has paranormal abilities. Meanwhile, a ghost is on a murder spree that Jackie gets wrapped up in.

Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This dark urban fantasy contains a good ghost story, but a stubborn, whiney character slows the story down.

Opening Sentence: Detective Thomas Morgan threw the empty pill bottle out of his cruiser into the manicured hedge separating a pair of half-million-dollar Sterling Heights homes.

The Review:

The plot in The Vengeful Dead is pretty straightforward. The story picks up two weeks after Jackie survives being thrust into Deadworld, a plane wher
Gemma
REVIEW:
Full review on Book Chick City text
**May contain spoilers from previous book**

This is the second book in J. L. Duncan's 'Jackie Rutledge' series and while the first book, 'Deadworld', was clearly about Nick dealing with his personal demons, this one is all about Jackie coming to terms with her own.

(view spoiler)
Beth Dawkins

The dead are very vengeful in this book. The scenes of murder are harsh and bloody. I have to give it props for the murder scenes. They are awful in the best ways. If you do not have a strong constitution, this might not be for you. Jackie also swears a lot, but it is feels like a
Karyogini
:) Jacky Jacky Jack... You poor poor confused girl. Her persona doesn't fit your usual FBI persona. She is crass, hardly systematic, probably the laziest when it comes to cleaning up, and lacks so much self esteem. In short she is such a bitch. :p Hahaha! Ofcourse in a good way. She is a lovable character that is mostly motivated by fear. I love how she is totally afraid of the Yoda of Psychiatrists.

Jack has to face the music and accept that her old partner is dead. How does she do this??? By ge
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Jackie Rutledge is a Chicago FBI agent whose psychic partner was killed by a psychotic vampire. Though Laurel isn’t truly gone since she’s stuck around in ghost form. While in pursuit of the psychotic vampire Jackie died and came back, but brought some of Deadworld with her. She needs to figure out what her freaky new abilities can do, but there’s an enraged ghost on the loose who has possessed a cop. She’s dealing out vengeance to those her killed her and ripped her baby from her womb. Jackie i ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.0
*Genre* Urban Fantasy

*Review*

The Vengeful Dead (Jackie Rutledge # 2) picks up several weeks after the end of Deadworld. FBI Agent Jackie Rutledge has been having a hard couple of weeks. First she lost her best friend and the only partner Laurel Carpenter to a crazed murderer. Then, she’s put on 30 days leave by her boss John Belgerman to get over what happened to her. Now, it appears that after her near death experience in the Dead World, she has some psychic abilities which are frea
Shameera
Another great book. I truly felt sorry for poor Rosa throughout the book. In this book Jackie did seem to be always be taking two steps forward and four steps back, givem the circumstances of all that has been thrown on her its sort of.understandable. However i just wanted to shake her quite a few times and say snap out of it. Shelby is quickly becoming a favorite character of mine and is great in her handling of Jackie whom I believe does need tough love often. Very curious how things will play ...more
Darcy
I enjoyed the previous book and was looking forward to this one. However after trying to read it for 3 days straight and only getting 150 pages in, while finishing 3 other books, that this one isn't for me.

I really liked seeing how Jacking was dealing with things, but her meeting her new partner and flipping out annoyed me. She knew she was going to get a new partner, knew he was coming, yet this seemed to hit her out of left field. It also bothered me how Jackie dealt with her new powers. Yes,
Joy
This is more a medium and her ghosts story. The vampire lover in this is the most sanitized vampire I've come across, doesn't even have fangs or any limitations that wouldn't make him just a regular guy other than being 180 years old (oooh...and an old west sheriff.) The author does put a good effort into an actual mystery plot that has some action beyond the romance baggage.

Main reason to be reading these at this time is that #3 is all about Thanksgiving. Seemed a nice light read to kill time w
Darlene
Jan 30, 2012 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yvensong, et al
Recommended to Darlene by: J. N. Duncan
Gore at the beginning and edge-of-your-seat anxiety at the end makes this a NON-bedtime story. STILL, it was a fun read. I love the characters, corporeal, ethereal, or vampireal who are a mixture of them all. And how evil is it to include a section of the next book in the series? Now I can hardly wait to get into that one!

Great job, J. N. Duncan! You have turned a reading-wimp into vampire of bloody novels!
Dawn Wood
How do you cope when the only thing you care about has been taken from you and the world you thought you knew just got a whole lot more complicated? This is what Agent Jackie Rutledge faces in the Vengeful Dead. As usual from Duncan, a thrilling storyline and likeable realistic characters with strong emotional interaction.
Tina
Book two picks up where the first book left off. Jackie's a hard character to love, but there's something about her that makes me keep reading to find out what will happen next. I just wish Nick would be a little more pushy when it comes to Jackie; at times he seems like a complete wuss.
Hunter
When i found the first book i keep reading till i reached the end and thin i went for the 2ed book and LOVED it.
Vera
I love the heroine of this series. She's so messed up, but so human, and forced to deal with the inhuman.Good read.
Debbie
This book was a great read...can't wait for the next book in the series.
Christine Hayes
I have enjoyed the series so far. Bought this for my kindle.
Iain
Excellant. Finished it in a day and started the third book.
Tricia Collins
Good book. Like the characters.
April Burchett
April Burchett marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Brandon Tegan
Brandon Tegan marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • In Memories We Fear (Vampire Memories, #4)
  • To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1)
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • In Blood We Trust (Bloodlands, #3)
  • Wrong Side of Dead (Dreg City, #4)
  • Chosen by Fate (Para-Ops, #2)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • Under Attack (Underworld Detection Agency, #2)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • New Blood (Vampire in the City, #1)
  • Blood Kin (The Half-Light City, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Latter-Day Olympians, #1)
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
  • Bad Blood (House of Comarré, #3)
  • Frostbound (The Dark Forgotten, #4)
  • Bound By Blood (Bound #2)
  • An Embarrassment of Riches (Saint-Germain #24)
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
Jim N. Duncan began writing at the age of fourteen thanks to a wonderful grandmother, who was a published mystery writer. Many years, numerous false starts, and a couple of college degrees later, the dream of publication has been achieved. Duncan has four fabulous children and is an aspiring teacher.
More about J.N. Duncan...
Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1) The Lingering Dead (Jackie Rutledge, #3) Blood Justice (Jackie Rutledge #0.5)