Start by marking “Dig Dig Digging” as Want to Read:
Dig Dig Digging

Dig Dig Digging

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  362 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Busy machines for busy kids!

"Diggers are good at dig, dig, digging,
scooping up the earth and lifting and tipping.
They make huge holes with their dig, dig, digging.
They can work all day."

Trucks and tractors, fire engines and helicopters-they all like to work hard. But after a long, happy day of beep-beeping and vroom-vrooming, even the busiest engines need to rest. This bri
Published May 1st 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dig Dig Digging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig Dig Digging

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsDear Zoo by Rod CampbellThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
69th out of 398 books — 367 voters
Dig Dig Digging by Margaret  MayoBang! Boom! Roar! A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs by Nate EvansTruckery Rhymes by Jon ScieszkaPugs in a Bug by Carolyn  CrimiDigger, Dozer, Dumper by Hope Vestergaard
Preschool-Things that Go
1st out of 48 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy Andrew
Feb 22, 2015 Lucy Andrew rated it really liked it
Dig Dig Digging is well established, bestselling, touch and feel book.
It explores the laborious, everyday life of construction workers.
The most distinct aspect that I find particularly effective is the touch and feel feature which occurs in every page as this makes the book inclusive for all needs. Mayo achieves this by making each 'touch and feel' feature correspond to the activity of the construction worker, this way the children can still engage with the main concept of the story despite th
Cuong Truong
Dec 20, 2012 Cuong Truong rated it liked it
WIDER READING FOCUS: POSSIBLY SEN
TARGET: One for those who are hardcore fans of "Bob the Builder" and construction site enthusiasts in key stage 1. It tells the story of what various vehicles do and what you will find on the journey through a construction site. A great pick for those with SEN in the area of visual impairment. The book is made of a shiny, page by page hardcover, so it can take the knocks and sticky fingers of younger children. It stimulates learning through touch as you can feel
Sarah Traynor
Jul 14, 2014 Sarah Traynor rated it it was amazing
My third boy adores this book above all the others. Whatever it is about it all three children insisted on it over and over again at age two. The illustrations and the sounds repeated really draws them in.
Brian Strand
Oct 07, 2008 Brian Strand rated it liked it
This book introduces many different types of equipment, and the different things that they can do. There are dump trucks, tractors, transporter trucks, bull dozers, rescue vehicles, and many others. The great thing about this book is the variety of vehicles, the depth in which they are described, and the repetition of some words over and over again for the kids to hear.

1. Have the students write about their favorite vehicle, and tell why they like it.

2. Have half the class have a picture of a ve
Vicki
May 17, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome, awesome, awesoming (read it to find out why I said this)! A perfect day to use this book, as next to the library right during story time there were a few construction equipment finishing up a project with banging, crashing, and pushing. This would work for the SRP theme "Dig into Reading" also. A cute repetitive phrase "They can work all day". My 25 month old grandson who happens to love any type of truck, construction vehicle etc., also enjoyed it very much.
Julie Haigh
May 26, 2014 Julie Haigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Excellent children's book for reading together
Recommended to Julie by: Found on amazon
Lovely, colourful book.

This is a lovely, eye-catching book; my Grandson loves Diggers, Fire Engines etc. and they are all in here. You can double tap areas on the page to enlarge. It's ideal for new readers as there is a lot of repetition of words, some simple three letter ones such as 'dig, dig, digging'. It shows in two-page format, like a traditional open book. This is a nice idea, but, on my 7 inch Kindle Fires, I didn't think it was optimum so I tried on kindle on my computer. That was whe
Josh Mattocks
Mar 02, 2014 Josh Mattocks rated it really liked it
Essentially, it is about vehicles and what the purposes of these vehicles are. The book conveys the sound that these vehicles make and what the vehicles do.
I really like the element of rhyming in the book. Adult and child can sing-along if they wish which makes it an enjoyable read. It is also informative and educates the child in what different vehicles do. Nonetheless, the illustrations could be more alluring and captivating.
It would be good for EYFS pupils'. However, lower ability KS1, EAL
Megababy
Apr 13, 2016 Megababy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
fun to read, I wouldn't mind reading it over and over. repetition of sounds and phrases is nice, but not so much that it is annoying to read. cute illustrations also. I notice fine petiole mention 'touch and feel' with reference to this book... the edition we got from the library doesn't have that, but I would be interested in such a version.
Jane
Nov 15, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun book about many different kinds of trucks and what they do. I especially liked that they covered some trucks that you don't usually find in a picture book, like a transporter, garbage trucks, cranes, road rollers, etc. The illustrations are also very fun to look at. Perfect for your young child who loves trucks.
BooksWithMummy
Sep 27, 2015 BooksWithMummy rated it really liked it
My son adored this book! He is about to turn 4, so we do not read it as often now, but it had been a very regular read. Description for various vehicles (lorries, dumper trucks etc) have a rhythmic rhyme that your toddler will likely say aloud with you in no time.

Firm recommendation for 2+
Paul
Mar 28, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Straight-ahead book about construction machines and other vehicles, with some nice verse along the way. My 4-year old grandson sat very attentively through the entire book, but then he adores large trucks and other machines at construction sites.
Stacey
Dec 30, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: olly-s-faves
Really fun to read aloud - has a great rhythm, and my toddler joined in after only a few reads. He loves the variety of vehicles, I love the length - relatively short and sweet, perfect for one of his before-bed reads.
Jennifer Heise
Mar 02, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
A variety of construction vehicles and trucks are introduced at work in blocky, simplistic illustrations. The text is patterned for each, beginning with [Truck type] are good at dig dig digging / race race racing/ etc. and ending with "They can work all day." On the final page, it is summed up for all the trucks, "They can rest all night." Not a bad bedtime read, with a nice selection of different vehicles and intriguing illustrations-- my son as accepted it as a bedtime read now 3 times. Would ...more
Danelle Spicer
Great book for teaching young children about the machines that are used daily. The book tells what each machine does and how hard it has to work to do its job.
Jackie
Feb 19, 2015 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book for all children interested in diggers, bulldozers and the like. It can be read in a sing song way which makes it extra fun.
Angelina
Nov 21, 2015 Angelina rated it liked it
A children's book about different modes of transportation. Text can be modified as "poetry/songs" that would be fun to orate.
Keshia
Jul 27, 2015 Keshia rated it really liked it
Shelves: andrew-s-read
Cute story. I like how every page ends with "They can work all day" because my two year old repeats that line every time!
Kristen
This worked well in a vehicle themed story time for the preschool set--not sure I'd go younger in story time as it's somewhat long. A toddler who was obsessed with vehicles would probably really like this as a one-on-one read, however. I personally didn't love this one--the illustration style was not my favorite and the text could be slightly odd at times (i.e. "Transporters are good at car transporting" just didn't feel very inspired). I liked the noises that all of the vehicles made--they were ...more
Marianne
Nov 13, 2015 Marianne added it
Shelves: childrens
A current favorite of my son. Stands up to multiple readings. Further fueled his love of vehicles that do stuff.
Elizabeth
I read this with a two-year-old. We re-read the first page alone at least a dozen times. I think that means he liked it. :-)
Vanessa Mattingly
Sep 29, 2014 Vanessa Mattingly rated it really liked it
fun predictable book for younger students! rhyming and about equipment! could be used for verb mini lesson
Erin
Jun 12, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Great vehicle rhyming book for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Sabrina Henry
This book is about different types of trucks. The author uses repetition and rhymes to keep the readers/listeners engaged. The words are fun and can be used to build on children's vocabulary. There is hardly a storyline but the information presented about trucks can be very interesting to young children.
The illustrations are very colorful and attractive, much to the liking of young children. Children can listen to this book and develop their phonemic awareness skills as they listen to words to
Megan
Dec 26, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
I really like the rhythm of this one!
Kim Dallmeier
Aug 10, 2015 Kim Dallmeier rated it really liked it
Super cute book to learn the alphabet:)
Kelly
I found myself a bit stuck. The text almost fits the musical pattern for the verse of Tom Paxton's "Going to the Zoo." The sentence structure is almost identical. I found myself wanting to sing, but the text is imperfect and there is no text for a refrain (perhaps you could invent one), so I felt stuck on repeat. I did like the informational text structure and my students would love the content.
Sylvester
Aug 26, 2014 Sylvester rated it liked it
3.5* art
3.5* story
Ebookwormy
Sep 18, 2008 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it
We were a bit slow to warm up to this book. But the heavy machinery, action words (diggers are good at dig, dig, digging...) and colorful illustrations won us over. Each page features one heavy machinery worker and ends with "They can work all day." I like it that the last page is about "They can rest all night". As fun as the action is, my little guy also needs to learn how to get to "brakes on, engines off". We've had this a couple of months (the longest our library will allow, so I'm adding i ...more
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a book about different types of trucks. There is really no story line but this is a great book to teach about how words can actually take the shape of their meaning. I would use this book to introduce to students how they can be creative when writing words. There are also a lot of rhyming words to teach students about rhyming.

For math, I could use this book to talk about different shapes with young children.
Japonika Finch
Wonderful tool to help students get away from the conventional form of writing. After a teacher reads this book to her students, their students will understand that they can be creative not only with their words but also with the shape of the text. Writers words can convey meaning in multiple ways and the visual conveying of meaning is something that is vital for the success of ELL students and early learners.
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Down by the Station
  • I'm Dirty!
  • Roadwork
  • Digger, Dozer, Dumper
  • Trucks: Whizz! Zoom! Rumble!
  • Dig!
  • I Love Trucks!
  • Airport
  • Dig, Dogs, Dig: A Construction Tail
  • Trucks Roll!
  • Zoom! Zoom!: Sounds of Things That Go in the City
  • Job Site
  • This Is the Firefighter
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • The Animal Boogie
There is more than one author with this name

For the Romance novelist see: Margaret Mayo

Margaret Mary Cumming was born 10 May 1935 in London, England, the daughter of William John and Anna (Macleod) Cumming. On 28 July 1958, she married Peter Robin Mayo, a university lectured, and they had three children: Roderick, Katrina and Andrew.

Margaret Mayo was a children's literature and folktales writer. A
More about Margaret Mayo...