Dig Dig Digging

Dig Dig Digging

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Busy machines for busy kids!

"Diggers are good at dig, dig, digging,
scooping up the earth and lifting and tipping.
They make huge holes with their dig, dig, digging.
They can work all day."

Trucks and tractors, fire engines and helicopters-they all like to work hard. But after a long, happy day of beep-beeping and vroom-vrooming, even the busiest engines need to rest. This bri...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dig Dig Digging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig Dig Digging

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
58th out of 270 books — 283 voters
Dig Dig Digging by Margaret  MayoBang! Boom! Roar! A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs by Nate EvansTruckery Rhymes by Jon ScieszkaPugs in a Bug by Carolyn  CrimiDigger, Dozer, Dumper by Hope Vestergaard
Preschool-Things that Go
1st out of 45 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Cuong Truong
WIDER READING FOCUS: POSSIBLY SEN
TARGET: One for those who are hardcore fans of "Bob the Builder" and construction site enthusiasts in key stage 1. It tells the story of what various vehicles do and what you will find on the journey through a construction site. A great pick for those with SEN in the area of visual impairment. The book is made of a shiny, page by page hardcover, so it can take the knocks and sticky fingers of younger children. It stimulates learning through touch as you can feel...more
Sarah Traynor
My third boy adores this book above all the others. Whatever it is about it all three children insisted on it over and over again at age two. The illustrations and the sounds repeated really draws them in.
Brian Strand
This book introduces many different types of equipment, and the different things that they can do. There are dump trucks, tractors, transporter trucks, bull dozers, rescue vehicles, and many others. The great thing about this book is the variety of vehicles, the depth in which they are described, and the repetition of some words over and over again for the kids to hear.

1. Have the students write about their favorite vehicle, and tell why they like it.

2. Have half the class have a picture of a ve...more
Vicki
This book is awesome, awesome, awesoming (read it to find out why I said this)! A perfect day to use this book, as next to the library right during story time there were a few construction equipment finishing up a project with banging, crashing, and pushing. This would work for the SRP theme "Dig into Reading" also. A cute repetitive phrase "They can work all day". My 25 month old grandson who happens to love any type of truck, construction vehicle etc., also enjoyed it very much.
Julie Haigh
May 26, 2014 Julie Haigh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Excellent children's book for reading together
Recommended to Julie by: Found on amazon
Lovely, colourful book.

This is a lovely, eye-catching book; my Grandson loves Diggers, Fire Engines etc. and they are all in here. You can double tap areas on the page to enlarge. It's ideal for new readers as there is a lot of repetition of words, some simple three letter ones such as 'dig, dig, digging'. It shows in two-page format, like a traditional open book. This is a nice idea, but, on my 7 inch Kindle Fires, I didn't think it was optimum so I tried on kindle on my computer. That was whe...more
Josh Mattocks
Essentially, it is about vehicles and what the purposes of these vehicles are. The book conveys the sound that these vehicles make and what the vehicles do.
I really like the element of rhyming in the book. Adult and child can sing-along if they wish which makes it an enjoyable read. It is also informative and educates the child in what different vehicles do. Nonetheless, the illustrations could be more alluring and captivating.
It would be good for EYFS pupils'. However, lower ability KS1, EAL...more
Kristen
This worked well in a vehicle themed story time for the preschool set--not sure I'd go younger in story time as it's somewhat long. A toddler who was obsessed with vehicles would probably really like this as a one-on-one read, however. I personally didn't love this one--the illustration style was not my favorite and the text could be slightly odd at times (i.e. "Transporters are good at car transporting" just didn't feel very inspired). I liked the noises that all of the vehicles made--they were...more
Sabrina Henry
This book is about different types of trucks. The author uses repetition and rhymes to keep the readers/listeners engaged. The words are fun and can be used to build on children's vocabulary. There is hardly a storyline but the information presented about trucks can be very interesting to young children.
The illustrations are very colorful and attractive, much to the liking of young children. Children can listen to this book and develop their phonemic awareness skills as they listen to words to...more
Sylvester
3.5* art
3.5* story
Ebookwormy
We were a bit slow to warm up to this book. But the heavy machinery, action words (diggers are good at dig, dig, digging...) and colorful illustrations won us over. Each page features one heavy machinery worker and ends with "They can work all day." I like it that the last page is about "They can rest all night". As fun as the action is, my little guy also needs to learn how to get to "brakes on, engines off". We've had this a couple of months (the longest our library will allow, so I'm adding i...more
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a book about different types of trucks. There is really no story line but this is a great book to teach about how words can actually take the shape of their meaning. I would use this book to introduce to students how they can be creative when writing words. There are also a lot of rhyming words to teach students about rhyming.

For math, I could use this book to talk about different shapes with young children.
Japonika Finch
Wonderful tool to help students get away from the conventional form of writing. After a teacher reads this book to her students, their students will understand that they can be creative not only with their words but also with the shape of the text. Writers words can convey meaning in multiple ways and the visual conveying of meaning is something that is vital for the success of ELL students and early learners.
Mallory White
This book would be great for talking about different machinery . It can be used for kids in your class that love fire trucks, dump trucks, or garbage trucks etc.. It also shows rhyming words and working with substitution and deletion of words can be used until 3rd grade. I would have my students pick and object and write about it as a rhyme or they can orally say it .
Courtney
I'm becoming very picky about these construction/big truck books just b/c Bobo want to read them all the time. I enjoy him learning all the names of the trucks and their jobs, but some of the books get a little tedious after so many readings. This one was ok. I like that all the trucks go to sleep at night. It lends itself to a nighttime book that way.
Ashley Correll
This book is definitly a book for really young children. It is a cute book, but there really is no story line. It does a lot of repetition which is also good for young students. The illustrations are very pretty. Also, this book also teaches about different sounds, different kinds of vechiles produce. From fire engines,dump trucks, cranes, and bull doesers!
Sheri
The only merit of the text is the repetitive opening and closing lines of each little poem. Other than that, it's not that pleasant to read. The pictures, however, are gloriously detailed, bright, cut-paper illustrations of all the exciting machines with fun additional elements in the scenery. They are the redeeming factor for this book.
Krupal Morjaria
Dig Dig Digging is a book about trucks which is illustrated in a very colorful way. The story portrays rhyming words that help the students understand and learn more about trucks. I was able to use this book to teach a science lesson about motion which the students found very interesting. Overall the book focuses on trucks and what they do.
Stephanie
Well done. Nice rhythms (not too stretched). I like the illustrations. Not just construction vehicles, but adds in several others. B keeps asking why every page ends with, "It can work all day." :) Has a few British English terms which can either be explained or translated pretty simply.
Christiana Tarpley
This is a great book about transportation and different types of machines. The book uses repetition (pull, pull, pulling). The book engages the reader by using words and writing in a fun direction. For example the long is spelled l o n g. The book is a great way to teach verbs and sounds.
April Scheivelhud
This is a fun book for little one who might be interested in those big outdoor machines like dump trucks and caterpillars. I love it for the simple colorful illustrations. Also, there are wonderful examples of rhyming and alliteration in this book. (Great for emerging readers)
Whitney Strickland
Love this book and wish that I would have found it while I was interning in a prekindergarten classroom. This would have been great the weeks we were introducing different jobs to the students. The book is simple but fun and I think its a nice start to occupations.
Alice
This is a great book that little boys are going to love and even little girls (an even female adults like me). I love the rhyming, the pictures and it was just fun to read! It will be a great addition to our Summer reading theme "Dig into Reading"
Emerald
How many times can i read this book in a different tone of voice and character? INFINITE! my son loves and craves this book every day. He is 2. And i don't mind. We mix it up with dr. seuss and watty piper, and htis is great :)
Janet
Two page spreads devoted to one machine with the accompaning text describing what the machine does, sometimes its noise, and the repeated phrase, they can work all day. Nicely done for the preschool group.
Melanie
Fun read with plenty of big machines that kept our toddler son interested and engaged. This book's rhymes were also fun to read as an adult without becoming too obnoxious with repetition.
lahvyndr
Sing-song this to your child using the tune of Guthrie's "Let's go riding in the car-car" - it evens closes turning off the engines to get ready for a night's sleep.
Saima Pradhan
If you have students who love cars and working vehicles, this is the book for them! It has a lot of repitition, so it is even better if they are struggling readers.
Heather
This book has fun, bright illustrations. The language is lively. Best of all, the construction vehicles "rest" at night, so tjhe book is a good choice for bedtime.
Mrs.tulip
So very cute.I had to go out and buy it. My little 2 year old boy loves it. And bonus...I don't mind reading it over and over and over again because its so darling!
jacky
This was read at our play group for the story at the end. It is a fun book about vehicles and their sounds. Great read aloud for toddlers and preschoolers.
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Roadwork
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • I'm Dirty!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Good Night, Sleep Tight
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Red Truck
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • Be Quiet, Mike!
  • I Love Trains!
  • Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z
There is more than one author with this name

For the Romance novelist see: Margaret Mayo

Margaret Mary Cumming was born 10 May 1935 in London, England, the daughter of William John and Anna (Macleod) Cumming. On 28 July 1958, she married Peter Robin Mayo, a university lectured, and they had three children: Roderick, Katrina and Andrew.

Margaret Mayo was a children's literature and folktales writer. A...more
More about Margaret Mayo...
Zoom, Rocket, Zoom! Choo Choo Clickety-Clack! Stomp, Dinosaur, Stomp! Roar! Magical Tales from Many Lands